New videos offer first-person view of Apple's Campus 2 'spaceship'

Posted:
in General Discussion edited April 2016
A pair of videos posted to YouTube are some of the first to show an up-close look at the main "spaceship" building on Apple's Campus 2 headquarters, including views of the structure's inner courtyard and underground access tunnels.

Captured by a cement truck driver, the shaky-cam clips offer a brief glimpse inside what is colloquially referred to as "the ring," a massive office building designed to accommodate 12,000 employees. Pictures and drone footage have chronicled the construction process, but the latest videos provide perspective on the sheer scale of Apple's build.

The segment below, spotted by 9to5Mac, was shot in the space that will become Campus 2's central courtyard. Earlier this month a set of architectural renderings were released showing the courtyard will feature at least two food stations and outdoor eating areas.

The second video is a bit longer and depicts the truck driver entering and driving through what is referred to as the Gate 5 tunnel. Work on Campus 2's tunnel network began in 2014 to provide vehicular and pedestrian access to the central ring structure, as well as ancillary buildings including an on-campus theater and parking lots.

Apple has in the past shared official photos of ongoing Campus 2 construction, the most recent being a series highlighting the installation of a large carbon fiber roof covering an above-ground theater entrance.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    Now we know the identity of the person found dead on Apple's campus.  It was a nosy cement truck driver with a penchant for taking cell phone videos in restricted areas.
    moreckcornchip
  • Reply 2 of 7
    The cement truck driver needs to see this YouTube video.
    moreckxiamenbill
  • Reply 3 of 7
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member
    Love it! All the radio chatter is "Take your 10 min. break".
    I love all these videos though. Hope we are somehow able to continue seeing some when it comes to interior work.
    edited April 2016 moreckJinTech
  • Reply 4 of 7
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,023member
    bobschlob said:
    Love it! All the radio chatter is "Take your 10 min. break".
    I love all these videos though. Hope we are somehow able to continue seeing some when it comes to interior work.
    My thoughts exactly. it was "Bring Your Kid To Work Day" and the kid was filming his rip while his dad gave break and lunch breaks! lmao
  • Reply 5 of 7
    dachardachar Posts: 330member
    Does anyone know what the latest timetable for completing the complex is? From these videos it looks like it will be at least 12 months for the ring.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,960member
    When I click on the video it says it's been removed. 
  • Reply 7 of 7
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    "Oops! Wasn't allowed to shoot and post those so now worried about losing job, or company losing contract. Me bad!"
    edited April 2016 cornchip