Alphabet, Fiat Chrysler working toward self-driving car tie-up - report

Posted:
in General Discussion
Google parent Alphabet may soon have a major ally in its push toward autonomous vehicles, as the company is said to be "in the late stage of talks" with London-based Fiat Chrysler Automobiles.

There is no word on exactly what the deal might entail, but it is unlikely to include Google-branded vehicles, according to the Wall Street Journal. The company would instead sell its self-driving car technology to FCA.

Google executives have repeatedly signaled their firm's unwillingness to become a carmaker itself. The few vehicles Google has produced in house are testbeds and technology demonstrators, not precursors to a Google Car.

FCA is one of a number of stalwart auto companies that are working toward broader technology partnerships.

Earlier Thursday, Volkswagen -- the largest car manufacturer in the world -- denied reports that it was itself in talks with Google or Apple for Volkswagen's new "digital mobility platform." The German company is more likely to work with domestic rivals Mercedes or BMW, both of whom have also acted coolly toward California firms.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    FCA is on the verge of bankruptcy, perfect partner for Google. 
    baconstangSpamSandwichbuzdots
  • Reply 2 of 16
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    I'm sure they'll have a great time watching it drive around their parking lots, while the rest of the universe continues to not care at all about self driving cars.

It pisses me off to think of the money they are sinking in these projects, meanwhile they can't even rollout CarPlay.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    pmz said:
    I'm sure they'll have a great time watching it drive around their parking lots, while the rest of the universe continues to not care at all about self driving cars.

It pisses me off to think of the money they are sinking in these projects, meanwhile they can't even rollout CarPlay.
    Except that drivers DO care about self-driving operation. For example my wife spent a few thousand extra on her latest car so as to include their latest safety features. Some of those included sensors that detect an obstruction/stopped vehicle and bring her vehicle to a stop even if she isn't paying attention and fails to push the brake. There's also sensors that put the car into auto-mode, maintaining speed with other traffic while maintaining a safe distance from the vehicle ahead of you, no driver input required (that one is a bit irritating as I would disagree on safe distance). Yet another feature auto-dims the headlight high-beams if it detects on-coming traffic, then returning to high output after the vehicle passes by. Those are self-driving features. There's newer vehicles out there now with many more autonomous features. Her's is almost old-school in comparison. 
    edited April 2016 fotoformatschlackpalomine
  • Reply 3 of 16
    wdowellwdowell Posts: 226member
    London-based ?! Would love to know how that has become about (assuming that's accurate!) [Update: well, well, well.. funny how Tax works really isnt it! ... Fiat Chrysler Automobiles, also known as FCA, is an Italian-American multinational [7][8] and currently the world’s seventh-largest auto maker.[9] The group was established in 2014 by merging Fiat S.p.A. into a new holding company incorporated in the Netherlands with headquarters in London, UK. The holding company, Fiat Chrysler Automobiles N.V., is listed on the New York Stock Exchange and Borsa Italiana in Milan.[10] Exor S.p.A, an Italian investment group owned by the Agnelli family, holds a 44.31% voting interest in FCA, and 29.19% ownership position.[11]]
    edited April 2016
  • Reply 5 of 16
    ceek74ceek74 Posts: 324member
    Alphagoogle is soooooo innovative!  What do they make again, besides hype?
    baconstang
  • Reply 6 of 16
    calfotocalfoto Posts: 70member
    A self driving Italian car???
    Have you seen how they drive there. 

And trust the VW engineering team with your life?

As if !!!
  • Reply 7 of 16
    Sounds good to me if this is true. Anything to push this tech forward. Many do care about this stuff as it is part of a better future. Safety and efficiency are huge in my mind when it comes to the application of an augmented or fully automated driving experience.
  • Reply 8 of 16
    calfoto said:
    A self driving Italian car???
    Have you seen how they drive there. 

And trust the VW engineering team with your life?

As if !!!
    Been there... and no-one stops at a red light on a Sunday... and probably most other days as well!
    baconstang
  • Reply 9 of 16
    isteelersisteelers Posts: 738member
    pmz said:

I myself enjoy driving in general. If I lived in LA or some other larger city, I might feel otherwise, so I can see the appeal. I have loved cars since I was a kid, so I would hate to see autonomous vehicles take over, but for many driving is a necessary evil or just a way to get from A to B. It seems that autonomous driving is inevitable though, just a matter of time. 
  • Reply 10 of 16
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
    I would buy an autonomous car in a heartbeat. Couple of lazy pints at the pub on a Sunday afternoon then "Siri drive me home please". 
    But there would have to be an OFF switch.
  • Reply 11 of 16
    baconstangbaconstang Posts: 1,105member
    Fiat - Chrysler should make their cars self repairing first.
  • Reply 12 of 16
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Fiat has abysmal quality, the very worse, so not sure that's a good thing. Sure are not going upmarket...
    baconstang
  • Reply 13 of 16
    buzdotsbuzdots Posts: 452member
    sog35 said:
    I'm calling for the immediate resignation of Tim Cook.

Apple should have clearly presented some information about the AppleCar this week to calm fears about Apple's revenue drop.  But we heard nothing.

Tim Cook needs to resign, go back to being the COO, or leave Apple. He is not the right CEO for this time in Apple's history.

5. Be a visionary.  Sorry Cook just isn't one. Never has been. Never will be.
    I have to agree that something needs to happen.  We have seen these bounces in stock come and go over the years, and I feel confidant that Apple as a corporation is not near the edge - but based on where we have been in the last 4 years, it won't take another four...

Cook needs to get past his obvious full-on social agenda or take it some where else.  Social agendas work both ways - just ask North Carolina.

When products lag - and the rumor mill isn't even running, shareholders are taking a hit - after buy-backs to prop up the price and an obvious flattening out of products - both software and hardware, it is time to make the hard decisions.  And don't give me the Apple Car thing - unless it hovers!

Problem is... where the hell is the next person that can take the most innovative ship in the world and get it back on course?
    I would hope it would be inside Apple, but I don't see it.

Two cheers for Tim standing up to the FBI... end of the story.  Next.

• Reply 14 of 16
    "I'm calling for the immediate resignation of Tim Cook." I'm not going to call for his resignation.... and I'm not sure announcing any car initiatives is the right move. But I do ask - Where is my Apple branded VR unit that connects to the app store enabling me to locate content quickly? As you say, product innovation seems to have stalled. The watch was an interesting start.... but the iPhone is nearly 10 years old.
  • Reply 15 of 16
    sog35 said:
    I'm calling for the immediate resignation of Tim Cook.

I'm not going to call for his resignation.... and I'm not sure announcing any car initiatives is the right move. But I do ask - Where is my Apple branded VR unit that connects to the app store enabling me to locate content quickly? As you say, product innovation seems to have stalled. The watch was an interesting start.... but the iPhone is nearly 10 years old.
    edited April 2016