Citing concerns in China, activist investor Carl Icahn no longer owns shares of Apple

Comments

• Reply 21 of 116
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    As much as I hate Ichann (he's a Donald Trump supporter) this is kind of embarrassing. He was a big supporter of buybacks which a lot of others are now wondering what good it's done. I'm glad he's out but it doesn't really spark confidence in the stock as evidence by the 2%+ drop in share price today.
    roger wade
  • Reply 22 of 116
    sog35 said:
    Isn't it obvious?

Tim Cook needs to be out next.

Can't blame Ichan for selling. He still made a nice profit. Plus he made huge losses in oil so he needs to show realized profits somewhere else.
    YOU need to be out. Clearly you're blaming the wrong person.

Tim Cook is NOT the problem Wall Street is. Their illegal activities are being overlooked and they're getting away with it. Luckily Apple is so huge that the stock markets can't actually do anything to the company and is more of a boil on the butt of Apple. Hopefully one day it will be lanced and Apple can get on to some real work without distractions. THEN you'll see what Apple can really do.
    Tim Cook has been doing a fantastic job of leading Apple. People love to say "he's not Steve Jobs!" I just say, "No he isn't, what an astute observation." He has his own style of leading the company, and although his vision is different from Job's, it seems to be working. 
    lostkiwidysamorialondorkevin keepoksimacky the mackyjustadcomicsdamonf
  • Reply 23 of 116
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    sog35 said:
    sflocal said:

Just.Be.Quiet.
    Me being quiet won't change the facts.

Tim Cook wasted $115 BILLION in shareholder money in the buyback. 
    He did it because of pressure from Ichan.
    The stock has gained NOTHING in valuation from that waste of money.

Before the buyback Apples was worth over $700 billion.
    Now after wasting $115 billion in cash its worth a pathetic $530 billion.

But go live in a fantasy world all you want.

All I know is Cook authorized this $115 billion buyback and the stock is worth $170 billion less.
    Did you really think Tim Cook's sole decision for stock buyback? If you do, you obviously never worked in corporate world. So, do me a favor. Shut the hell up. A god damn large company like Apple got played by an investor? You should stop that idiotic comment!
    edited April 2016 singularitylostkiwipalominelondorkevin keejustadcomics
  • Reply 24 of 116
    cm477cm477 Posts: 99member
    Interpretation: Now that he doesn't have a long position (and might be short), he now needs to depress the stock price to buy back shares. Hopefully this weakness is temporary as the big funds (aka sheep) trim their positions, and the stock price never comes back enough for Icahn to get back in.
    londorcali
  • Reply 25 of 116
    Hey, time to buy up! Apple shares are on sale today! Thanks Ichan!
    lostkiwilondorcali
  • Reply 26 of 116
    sog35 said:
    sog35 said:
    Isn't it obvious?

Can't blame Ichan for selling. He still made a nice profit. Plus he made huge losses in oil so he needs to show realized profits somewhere else.
    YOU need to be out. Clearly you're blaming the wrong person.

Tim Cook is NOT the problem Wall Street is. Their illegal activities are being overlooked and they're getting away with it. Luckily Apple is so huge that the stock markets can't actually do anything to the company and is more of a boil on the butt of Apple. Hopefully one day it will be lanced and Apple can get on to some real work without distractions. THEN you'll see what Apple can really do.
    hey man I agree.  I've been talking about Apple going private or being delisted for YEARS here.

But the reality is they are a public company. Those are the facts.

When things go bad it falls on the leadership: Tim Cook.

I'm sorry but he needs to be fired for wasting $115 billion of shareholder cash.
    Also needs to blame for the stock losing $200 billion in value at the same time!!!

You can blame Wall Street all you want. But companies like Tesla, Google, Amazon, and even friken Microsoft and IBM have done a way better job of keeping Wall Street at bay. Those CEO's know how to play Wall Street. Cook doesn't. He needs to be fired because of lack of performance and a total failure at capital allocation.

1. Stock is down $200 billion 
    2. Wasted $115 billion on buyback with no added value
    3. Acquistions have been blah at best
    4. Has not grown the company beyond being iPhone Inc.

FAILED. PERIOD. 

Its time Apple shareholders stop blaming Wall Street. Blame Cook.  All the other big Tech companies are doing fine in the stock market. Only Apple is crap. And thats on Cook.
    if that's how you feel, then sell your stake.  right now.  to me.
    lostkiwilondorgatorguykevin keecalijustadcomicspropod
  • Reply 27 of 116
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    AAPL has broken below $95 and possibly headed toward $90. The Icahn announcement will surely add to the selloff action. Incredible amount of negative activity around the stock.

Also, I think Icahn is not wrong about China. China is a real threat to Apple's growth plans, plus if Trump gains the presidency (or even Hillary, for that matter), I predict a real ramp up in protectionist policies for the US, which will directly impact Apple.
    edited April 2016
  • Reply 28 of 116
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Good news. His $3 Billion or whatever can go pump and dump elsewhere. Now we can get back to focusing on growth markets and new ventures.
    londorcalijustadcomics
  • Reply 29 of 116
    retrogustoretrogusto Posts: 1,111member
    I had assumed that he bought the shares because he had a deep understanding of the underlying value, the cyclical nature of Apple's product releases, etc. but I guess it was something more shallow, unless he's just making this announcement in the hopes that it will drive down the price so he can take another big position in anticipation of the iPhone 7 release in September.
    propod
  • Reply 30 of 116
    cm477 said:
    Interpretation: Now that he doesn't have a long position (and might be short), he now needs to depress the stock price to buy back shares. Hopefully this weakness is temporary as the big funds (aka sheep) trim their positions, and the stock price never comes back enough for Icahn to get back in.
    You cannot short the stock unless you own the stock. Icahn no longer has a position in AAPL.
  • Reply 31 of 116
    What a piece of work this Carl Icahn is. He was pumping the stock at $130+ and he's out at 95 because of China? China business is now double what it was then. Give me a break.
    mdriftmeyer
  • Reply 32 of 116
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    sog35 said:
    Isn't it obvious?

sog35 said:
    Isn't it obvious?

Don't blame Tim Cook, but yourself. Learn to invest properly. 
    My AAPL portion of portfolio lost ~$20k on my 2900 Apple shares bought over the years when stocks hit $113 last time. Then when AAPL dropped even more last time at $97, I bought 1400 shares that day. Guess what. I sold them all 2 weeks ago when stocks reach $112 and I broke even everything. I'm seriously considering to purchase back 2000 shares today at $95. You should know when to buy even with lost.
    londorkevin keedamonf
  • Reply 33 of 116
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    sog35 said:
    sflocal said:

Just.Be.Quiet.

All I know is Cook authorized this $115 billion buyback and the stock is worth $170 billion less.
    Oh... you bring up "FACTS"??  Hmmm.. let's see..

Like the FACT you promised self banning for a year when you were WRONG about that $150 price at end of 2015 and after us having to endure all your childish rants and rhetoric?

Tim Cook is best CEO for Apple.  Period.  I'm invested for the long term in AAPL and I'm happy with his performance as CEO.  I want a higher stock price too, but I realize Apple is an easily-manipulated stock that is out of Tim Cook's control REGARDLESS of who the CEO is.  All you want is a CEO that pays lip-service to the media that would do nothing to improve Apple the company in the long term.

The only one living in a fantasy world is you, and others that want to play AAPL not as an investor, but as a crap-shooter.  You don't like it, sell your AAPL stock, leave, and shut up.  Really, the constant whining spewing out from you is just pathetic.  Do you not have anything better to do like maybe go outside?
    singularitypmzlondordrewys808kevin keecalidamonfpropod
  • Reply 34 of 116
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    AAPL has broken below $95 and possibly headed toward $90. The Icahn announcement will surely add to the selloff action.
    Apple does have a history of rising and then selling hard. Also I read Google is bringing back the guy that ran Motorola to lead a hardware division within Google. This will include things like Nexus, Chromebook, Chromecast and presumably whatever Amazon Echo competitor they're working on. I think one could make an argument that Apple's competitors are getting better at what is Apple's strength faster than Apple is at their strengths. Everyone has jumped on the "premium" metal hardware with sleek designs bandwagon. All the new Android phones have really good cameras. The only thing they haven't really caught up to Apple on is chip design. I'm a little nervous that Apple software improvements, especially the cloud based stuff isn't happening quickly enough. I hope my fears are wrong.
    dysamoriagatorguy
  • Reply 35 of 116
    sflocal said:
    sog35 said:

Oh... you bring up "FACTS"??  Hmmm.. let's see..

Like the FACT you promised self banning for a year when you were WRONG about that $150 price at end of 2015 and after us having to endure all your childish rants and rhetoric?

Tim Cook is best CEO for Apple.  Period.  I'm invested for the long term in AAPL and I'm happy with his performance as CEO.  I want a higher stock price too, but I realize Apple is an easily-manipulated stock that is out of Tim Cook's control REGARDLESS of who the CEO is.  All you want is a CEO that pays lip-service to the media that would do nothing to improve Apple the company in the long term.

The only one living in a fantasy world is you, and others that want to play AAPL not as an investor, but as a crap-shooter.  You don't like it, sell your AAPL stock, leave, and shut up.  Really, the constant whining spewing out from you is just pathetic.  Do you not have anything better to do like maybe go outside?
    If one has a position in AAPL, does that mean their opinion about the company is less, or more valid? Self-interest (which all of us have) would seem to lean toward the idea that all of us who are heavily invested in AAPL may be blinded to valid Apple criticism. but then again valid criticism would ultimately be beneficial for the company and the stock... Blind criticism would be unhelpful for the individual investor unless they are fomenting hatred of the company and stock for other purposes.
    edited April 2016 bobschlob
  • Reply 36 of 116
    Good news. His $3 Billion or whatever can go pump and dump elsewhere. Now we can get back to focusing on growth markets and new ventures.

Well, here's the thing- whenever a professional BULL trader and billionare (whom has published books on investing) pulls ALL of their investment, it's worth re-evaluating company's risk and challenges; there's apparently less upside to owning the stock; which is why Carl got out.  

It's not good news. 
    roger wade
  • Reply 37 of 116
    Every big investor is dumping Apple stock. Hardly anyone has any sort of confidence in Tim Cook or the rest of Apple's management. Even today after the stock has taken a huge drop over the past couple of weeks, Apple is being hit the hardest again because no one wants to get stuck with a guaranteed losing stock. Not me, though, because I've held Apple a long time and have a fairly large amount of shares which pay me a pretty decent quarterly amount in dividends. I think Apple should have made large acquisitions in the past as they should have realized their smartphone business was being counted on so heavily to carry the company and it wouldn't last forever. I have no reason to start panic selling as I purchased all my shares outright and I've got other dividend stocks that are doing well. I am disappointed in Apple's drop in value although I do realize even Apple can't sell lots of high-priced products in a depressed economy. I got to take the bitter with the sweet. As for Icahn, with all his bluster, really has little faith in Apple staying on top. Apple worth $240 a share! Yeah, sure. I never believed it for a moment. I do believe Apple is a terrific company and sells good products. Wall Street is simply too greedy for its own good.
    cali
  • Reply 38 of 116

Well, here's the thing- whenever a professional BULL trader and billionare (whom has published books on investing) pulls ALL of their investment, it's worth re-evaluating company's risk and challenges; there's apparently less upside to owning the stock; which is why Carl got out.  

It's not good news. 
    I agree, regardless of Icahn's tendency toward manipulating boards for his benefit. Markets are moved by his actions and opinion.
  • Reply 39 of 116
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member
    jungmark said:
    See what I mean with this guy? He has no permanent stake in Apple. Why should we listen to him back then? 
    "Permanent" Are you firkin kidding! 
    That's the dumbest thing I've heard.
  • Reply 40 of 116
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member
    Good riddance. Now if he could just STFU, that would be just great.
    dysamoriacali