Citing concerns in China, activist investor Carl Icahn no longer owns shares of Apple

Comments

• Reply 41 of 116
    hmlongcohmlongco Posts: 532member
    sog35 said:
    Cook needs to be held accountable for this
    Every time the stock swings you jump on this board and bash Cook. Not the product line. Not the R&D. Not the board. Not the street.

Not Federighi or Ive or Cur or Schiller.

Just Cook.

You claim it's due to his "incompetence" as a CEO, but even today Apple's stock is worth over twice what it was worth when Tim took over as CEO, and has still outperformed the S&P 500 over the same period by about 800%.

I'm sorry, but it looks to me as if your issue with Cook is more "personal" in nature...
    bkerkaydysamoriasingularitylondorkevin keecaliroundaboutnowdamonfpropod
  • Reply 42 of 116

Well, here's the thing- whenever a professional BULL trader and billionare (whom has published books on investing) pulls ALL of their investment, it's worth re-evaluating company's risk and challenges; there's apparently less upside to owning the stock; which is why Carl got out.  

It's not good news. 
    I agree, regardless of Icahn's tendency toward manipulating boards for his benefit. Markets are moved by his actions and opinion.

There's two things to Carl Ichan- first, he runs a hedge fund, I'm not an investor so I'm not entirely sure about the grandular workings of his funds; nor have I read his prospectus.  However, if he used Apple to hedge against other investments, the company he runs will need to ensure a return.

Secondly, the size of Carl's position was huge; and the name is recognizable.   I equate it to loosing a multi-billion dollar loan from a major bank like Chase or Citi.  Billion-dollar investments aren't publicized in this marketplace; loosing billion-dollar investments is even worse.   Not good news at all.
    edited April 2016
  • Reply 43 of 116
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    hmlongco said:
    sog35 said:
    Every time the stock swings you jump on this board and bash Cook. Not the product line. Not the R&D. Not the board. Not the street.

Just Cook.

You claim it's due to his "incompetence" as a CEO, but even today Apple's stock is worth over twice what it was worth when Tim took over as CEO, and has still outperformed the S&P 500 over the same period by about 800%.

I'm sorry, but it looks to me as if your issue with Cook is more "personal" in nature...
    Over the past 10 years the stock has increased more than 10x, but it has performed very poorly over the past year.

If you really want to get exercised, look at what has just happened to AMZN in after hours... Up nearly 12%.
    edited April 2016
  • Reply 44 of 116
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Sog , you make me sick, are you off your rockers or what, do you realize how incoherent you are post to post and day to day.

as for fracking Icahn, he can go frack himself, I don.t give a frack were that bandwagon moron goes.

everything he says sis just garbage, he's been crapping on Apple for years even when they were growing 20% a year
    londorkevin keecali
  • Reply 45 of 116
    sflocal said:

Just.Be.Quiet.
    More chance of Trump announcing he is undergoing gender reassignment surgery
    Trump  has already gone transpecies from human to jackass so you never know.
    edited April 2016 singularitylondorai46roundaboutnow
  • Reply 46 of 116
    bkerkaybkerkay Posts: 139member
    1. Stock is down $200 billion 
    2. Wasted $115 billion on buyback with no added value
    3. Acquistions have been blah at best
    4. Has not grown the company beyond being iPhone Inc.
    You keep talking about the loss and the "failure".  

But what about the gains and increase and money in the bank?  Yes, it's less now than it was a year ago, but it's still more than it was when he took over 5 years ago. 

londorkevin keeai46
  • Reply 47 of 116
    hmlongco said:
    sog35 said:

Just Cook.

I just don't see the same level of creativity since Tim started in that role.  

One main complaint I have-- for a CEO that now wears glasses, I find it very strange and odd that every new Macbook released happens to be very tiny.  

I was talking with an Apple Genius about buying a new Mac last week, I can't afford to give up a 17" screen...  I still have to use my 17" Macbook due to my vision.   At the end of the conversation (where I didn't buy anything at the Apple Store)  the Apple Genius (who also wears glasses) and I agreed that Tim Cooks' glasses are designer, non-prescription;  "window dressing".

Since that conversation with the Apple Genius, I've even considered that he doesn't need to say anything on stage to lie to people. 

• Reply 48 of 116
    Googrogifan_new said:
    AAPL has broken below $95 and possibly headed toward $90. The Icahn announcement will surely add to the selloff action.
    Apple does have a history of rising and then selling hard. Also I read Google is bringing back the guy that ran Motorola to lead a hardware division within Google. This will include things like Nexus, Chromebook, Chromecast and presumably whatever Amazon Echo competitor they're working on. I think one could make an argument that Apple's competitors are getting better at what is Apple's strength faster than Apple is at their strengths. Everyone has jumped on the "premium" metal hardware with sleek designs bandwagon. All the new Android phones have really good cameras. The only thing they haven't really caught up to Apple on is chip design. I'm a little nervous that Apple software improvements, especially the cloud based stuff isn't happening quickly enough. I hope my fears are wrong.
    le is also under anti monopoly pressure and this is going to rise hard and fast the oem, read Samsung are fracking tired of being fracked up by Google. Google is the most anti competitive company I have ever seen, a lot worse than Intel or ms at their worse ( though it's hard to beat what Intel did... But Google is fighting hard for this prize)  can't believe they waited that long to reign in what that piece of shit company is doing.
    palominecalidamonf
  • Reply 49 of 116
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    bkerkay said:

But what about the gains and increase and money in the bank?  Yes, it's less now than it was a year ago, but it's still more than it was when he took over 5 years ago. 

Hard to say really if AAPL is on a longer term downward trend or not, but a downward trend over the entire past year is not promising.

I'll repeat my earlier concern:  China relations under President Trump will be strained at best, disastrous at worst. Under a Clinton presidency, it would also be strained, but her domestic agenda would be more likely to place strain on the economy. In other words, BOTH candidates are not going to be good for Apple and the Apple Board of Directors need to recognize this and accelerate Apple's presence in non-China markets.
    edited April 2016
  • Reply 50 of 116
    Well, people buy and sell all the time, so life goes on.

China does have an influence on Apple's business in China just like every other company that does business in China.
    Apple just happens to be BIG and cooperative, which has made them a lot of money in the Chinese market.

caliai46
  • Reply 51 of 116
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    When the stock goes south, Sog is all off with Tim Cook's head nonsense.  When it's doing well he's defending Apple's pricing and storage options and telling anyone who complains that they're cheap and should go buy Android. Complete BS.
    singularitylondornolamacguykevin keejonldamonfpropod
  • Reply 52 of 116

I agree, regardless of Icahn's tendency toward manipulating boards for his benefit. Markets are moved by his actions and opinion.

There's two things to Carl Ichan- first, he runs a hedge fund, I'm not an investor so I'm not entirely sure about the grandular workings of his funds; nor have I read his prospectus.  However, if he used Apple to hedge against other investments, the company he runs will need to ensure a return.

Secondly, the size of Carl's position was huge; and the name is recognizable.   I equate it to loosing a multi-billion dollar loan from a major bank like Chase or Citi.  Billion-dollar investments aren't publicized in this marketplace; loosing billion-dollar investments is even worse.   Not good news at all.
    Wtf are you talking about, this is not a god damn loan, one the stock is out there Apple doesn't.t give a hoot what anyone does with their. It's only an issue if Apple want to issue new stock and that's certainly not happening.

This crap is being done to move the market for some reason, and maybe because he's a narcissist; at his level even a small move can net tens of millions. He could be doing it for himself or friends The sec should investigate pos like him but it's toothless seemingly in stopping PUblic Relations type manipulators (of which analysts are also a part of)
    palominecali
  • Reply 53 of 116
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    Give it a rest Sog. It was Steve Jobs who decided Tim Cook was the right man for the job. I'll trust his judgement over the sniping of nobodies on the Internet and social media.
    singularitybkerkaylondornolamacguycalidamonf
  • Reply 54 of 116
    sog35 said:

Come on man.

The massive rocket ship that was the iPhone was going to blast off with or without Cook.
    You can't give Cook credit for the iPhone taking off in 2012.

Hard to believe the stock is worth LESS than in 2012. 

So do you seriously think it was Cook that made the stock go from $50 to $100 in less than a year? 
    That was his first year as CEO the stock DOUBLE.  Was that Cook?  Come on man. It was all about Jobs.

And since it reached $100 in 2012 the stock is LOWER today.
    So, you only refer to Cook's perfomance when something goes wrong, but not when something goes right?  Okay then. 

And yes... one can give Cook credit for the iPhone taking off... because of him and the entire company of Apple was able to deliver enough iPhones (and other products) to make it rocket up. 

The stock also went up to $132.  4 years after he became CEO... or you think that was Jobs' doing as well?

And many people have forgotten, that Steve Jobs told Cook and the rest of the company, do say "What would Steve Jobs do? ... do what you think is right."  So even SJ said... make the company "yours".  I have a lot of respect for SJ ad what he was able to do, but even he had misses too and made mistakes and debacles under his reign of CEO. 
    londornolamacguykevin keecalidamonf
  • Reply 55 of 116
    blitz2blitz2 Posts: 34member
    sog35 said:
    YOU need to be out. Clearly you're blaming the wrong person.

Tim Cook is NOT the problem Wall Street is. Their illegal activities are being overlooked and they're getting away with it. Luckily Apple is so huge that the stock markets can't actually do anything to the company and is more of a boil on the butt of Apple. Hopefully one day it will be lanced and Apple can get on to some real work without distractions. THEN you'll see what Apple can really do.
    hey man I agree.  I've been talking about Apple going private or being delisted for YEARS here.

But the reality is they are a public company. Those are the facts.

When things go bad it falls on the leadership: Tim Cook.

I'm sorry but he needs to be fired for wasting $115 billion of shareholder cash.
    Also needs to blame for the stock losing $200 billion in value at the same time!!!

You can blame Wall Street all you want. But companies like Tesla, Google, Amazon, and even friken Microsoft and IBM have done a way better job of keeping Wall Street at bay. Those CEO's know how to play Wall Street. Cook doesn't. He needs to be fired because of lack of performance and a total failure at capital allocation.

FAILED. PERIOD. 

Its time Apple shareholders stop blaming Wall Street. Blame Cook.  All the other big Tech companies are doing fine in the stock market. Only Apple is crap. And thats on Cook.
    Try to understand the logic of stock buy back before ranting.
    Be.less.of.a.fool (I know you can't. Pretend then!)
    nolamacguykevin keeai46singularitydamonf
  • Reply 56 of 116
    sog35 said:

Come on man, that was all about what Steve Jobs did.  No CEO can add that much value to a company in EIGHT MONTHS.

Yet everyone thought AAPL would tank after SJ resigned and after his death... yet it didn't.   SJ was a big part of Apple, but not the only person working there. 
    londorcalidamonfpropod
  • Reply 57 of 116
    damonf said:
    sog35 said:
    Me being quiet won't change the facts.

Tim Cook wasted $115 BILLION in shareholder money in the buyback. 
    He did it because of pressure from Ichan.
    The stock has gained NOTHING in valuation from that waste of money.

Before the buyback Apples was worth over $700 billion.
    Now after wasting $115 billion in cash its worth a pathetic $530 billion.

But go live in a fantasy world all you want.

All I know is Cook authorized this $115 billion buyback and the stock is worth $170 billion less.

No, Apple's Board of Directors authorized the buyback, just like they authorize dividend payouts.  Tim Cook alone cannot spend the company's money on stock buybacks.  From the earnings call transcript, I give you Luca Maestri:

Once again, we are allocating the majority of the expansion of the program to share repurchases, given our strong confidence in Apple's future, and the value we see in our stock. The Board has increased the share repurchase authorization by $35 billion, raising it from the current $140 billion level to $175 billion. We will also continue to net share settle, less the employee restricted stock units.

I exited at $107 well before Icahn did, clearly after toda'ys move the stock is probably heading towards $90 at which point my buddy  Icahn and myself will be buyers again!
    caliSpamSandwich
  • Reply 58 of 116
    sog35 said:

I just don't see the same level of creativity since Tim started in that role.  

Agree 100%

What has Tim done with the iPhone the last 3 years:

1. Add TouchID/ApplePay - that was Steve Jobs
    2. Made the phone bigger
    3. Made the phone gold
    4. Made the phone thinner

Thats it.

iPad?  Thinner, Gold, pencil. That's it.

Watch is okay but nothing mind blowing.

Mac? Thinner, Gold. That's it.

Are you the same sog35 today than yesterday's sog35?
     :D  :D :D
    londorkevin keeai46SpamSandwichsingularitypropod
  • Reply 59 of 116

sog35 said:
    bkerkay said:
    So, you only refer to Cook's perfomance when something goes wrong, but not when something goes right?  Okay then. 

And yes... one can give Cook credit for the iPhone taking off... because of him and the entire company of Apple was able to deliver enough iPhones (and other products) to make it rocket up. 

The stock also went up to $132.  4 years after he became CEO... or you think that was Jobs' doing as well?

And many people have forgotten, that Steve Jobs told Cook and the rest of the company, do say "What would Steve Jobs do? ... do what you think is right."  So even SJ said... make the company "yours".  I have a lot of respect for SJ ad what he was able to do, but even he had misses too and made mistakes and debacles under his reign of CEO. 
    I don't care if the stock was $132. Its $95 today. Thats all that matter today.  Do you look at what .com companies were worth in 1999? Hell no.

In the first 8 months that Tim Cook was CEO the stock went up from $55 to $90.
    That was all because of Steve Jobs and the iPhone. That rise was NOTHING to do with Cook. 

Since then the stock is up a mere $5 in the last FOUR YEARS.
    Pathetic. Especially since Tim Cook spent $115 BILLION in buybacks to make the stock go up a pathetic $5.
    Relax sog...
    Your stock will hit 300USD in 10years time or less (or so you said)
    kevin keemwhitecaliSpamSandwichpropod
  • Reply 60 of 116

sog35 said:

bkerkay said:

Come on dude.

You can't give Cook the credit for that.

Cook became CEO on Aug 24, 2011.  The stock was $55.
    Eight months later the stock was $90.

Are you seriously giving Cook the credit for the stock reaching $90?
    Come on man, that was all about what Steve Jobs did.  No CEO can add that much value to a company in EIGHT MONTHS.

And since then Apple is up only $5.  In FOUR YEARS the stock is up $5.

Never mind if it further drops sog.
    You'll have the opportunity to buy that other 200 shares you'd promise to buy
     :D  :D :D
    kevin keeai46SpamSandwichsingularitypropod