What Smart Connector charging could mean for the 'iPhone 7' and beyond

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 39
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    pchesels said:
    what the new audio port through the lightning connector means is more royalties for Apple since the current audio jack is used by square trade and other credit card swipers for free without having to pay apple.
    They got their iPhones for free, did they?  I'm sure there will be Android based alternative solutions they can acquire and use.
  • Reply 22 of 39
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    adm1 said:
    "Imagine a battery case without the "chin" at the bottom..."

already available, I have one... search for the Kuner Kuke case. They even have a newer model with built in storage in addition to the battery.
    Pretty clever workaround design.
  • Reply 23 of 39
    pchesels said:
    what the new audio port through the lightning connector means is more royalties for Apple since the current audio jack is used by square trade and other credit card swipers for free without having to pay apple.
    Umm, the new Apple Pay/Chip reader sold by Square uses Bluetooth... Also, the most popular enterprise card readers use the Lightning port or Bluetooth. Moving to Bluetooth is not a major issue...
    nolamacguy
  • Reply 24 of 39
    Eric_WVGGEric_WVGG Posts: 968member
    pchesels said:
    The income from Lightning Connector royalties is less than a drop in the bucket to a company like Apple. This kind of thinking clouds bigger-picture perspective. 

(why do they have license fees at all? probably to keep the market limited to Serious Companies and minimize the amount of cheap garbage connected to iOS.)
    williamlondonnolamacguy
  • Reply 25 of 39
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    mubaili said:
    Yea, on the Apple Pencil charge, since it charges so fast, after a few weeks I charged the Pencil almost exclusively by plugging it into iPad Pro lightning port. It is such a relief that you don't need look around for a device to charge the Pencil. Well done, Apple. You have indeed thought through this one.
    A smart connector incorporated into the side of the pencil would be ideal I think. It would charge the pencil and the magnetic nature would allow you to have a place to store the pencil on the side of the iPad at the same time.
    I wonder if there is a reason this cannot be done. Otherwise I cannot understand why it wasn't done to begin with. It seems too obvious.
  • Reply 26 of 39
    BBMplsBBMpls Posts: 4member
    What if the Smart Connector is for the headphones (like magsafe)?
  • Reply 27 of 39
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Soli said:
    1) I don't see how the Smart Connector makes the back of an iPhone like Bender.
    It is not the Smart Connector that makes it look like Bender. It is the dual camera that protrudes like his eyes. (OO)
    Ah, I see it now. Thanks!
    edited April 2016
  • Reply 28 of 39
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    BBMpls said:

Nope, Lightning is for that. I thought I've been very clear on this point. (Shawshank reference) This comment box formatting bug is killing me.
    edited April 2016
  • Reply 29 of 39
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    BBMpls said:
    Apple might enable it as an option, but I don't see it as a primary method, or as practical. The connector won't be universal for for all products and introduce yet another connector where one isn't warranted (MacBooks, etc). It goes without saying there wouldn't be any native smart port headphones. And it will be bulkier just by the size. The adapter will likewise be odd.

Now where I could see it being used for audio is if Apple enables a digital or analogue output through the port, for use with a 3.5mm jack incorporated into an external battery pack, or case. Not sure if analogue audio is possible with the port specs, which would also require Apple to maintain the current quality of their built-in DAC and amp, so no savings there.
  • Reply 30 of 39
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    pchesels said:
    Umm, the new Apple Pay/Chip reader sold by Square uses Bluetooth... Also, the most popular enterprise card readers use the Lightning port or Bluetooth. Moving to Bluetooth is not a major issue...
    Yes and the new Bluetooth reader also reads chip cards and wait for it . . . Apple Pay.
    So the lack of a standard headphone jack is non issue.
  • Reply 31 of 39
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    nhughes said:
    mac_128 said:
    What kind of "article" is this?

The dongle would almost surely have to be included in the box with the "iPhone 7," and it would have to be more than a simple passthrough -- it would need to support simultaneous charging as well. The latter requirement eliminates a simple male-to-female solution similar to the current Lightning-to-Micro USB adapter.

Really? Opinion is now news?

Apple is unlikely to include an adapter, since they will likely include a pair of Lightning earbuds. Including an adapter only encourages customers to keep using their existing 3.5mm equipment, rather than a wireless option, or even a Lightning option. Buying the adapter forces them to make a conscious choice.

This idea of being able to charge and listen to headphones at the same time is ridiculous. The solution has been around since electricity was invented, and can be found at the end of most Christmas tree light s -- a pass through port. No cumbersome dongles, just the existing plug with both a male and female connector and the wire coming out of the side.

This "article" has no objective reporting at all, and has bias written all over it.

It's a speculative piece clearly labeled as a "feature" on our front page. Just piecing together what we know about the Smart Connector and how it relates to iPhone 7 rumors. I don't see why you're so worked up over it.
    My apologies. I didn't realize that "feature" meant "opinion". That said, perpetuating these memes about how Apple has to include an adapter in the box 'or they're doomed', and how users won't be able to charge while they listen if Apple does this, or that this would require a "giant dongle" is frustrating.
  • Reply 32 of 39
    jaffajaffa Posts: 15member
    It's a connector, like connectors on many devices before it, I had a Nokia phone in 2005 with a similar connector that charged it when it was in its stand. My Windows tablet has the same thing.

Seriously what has happened to Apple? Are things like this really exciting for Apple fans?
  • Reply 33 of 39
    cnocbui said:
    pchesels said:
    They got their iPhones for free, did they?  I'm sure there will be Android based alternative solutions they can acquire and use.

• Reply 34 of 39
    I want mine trying it out it might be a little to ski want more things to do on the phone
  • Reply 35 of 39
    paxman said:
    A smart connector incorporated into the side of the pencil would be ideal I think. It would charge the pencil and the magnetic nature would allow you to have a place to store the pencil on the side of the iPad at the same time.
    I wonder if there is a reason this cannot be done. Otherwise I cannot understand why it wasn't done to begin with. It seems too obvious.
    Apple says it likes to do things that in the end, seem so obvious to make perfect sense. To seem so natural. This type of connector, to me, is how all Apple mobile devices should charge and transfer data. Having to plug things in seems dated almost.
  • Reply 36 of 39
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Personally I think Apple is working on a new version of their battery case for iPhones with Smart Connector. One without the huge bump.

I want to see a super thin iPhone 7 with a Smart Connector, and a leather/rubber case that looks like any normal Apple case. But the case makes contact with Smart Connector, and contains additional juice.
  • Reply 37 of 39
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    mac_128 said:
    nhughes said:
    It's a speculative piece clearly labeled as a "feature" on our front page. Just piecing together what we know about the Smart Connector and how it relates to iPhone 7 rumors. I don't see why you're so worked up over it.
    My apologies. I didn't realize that "feature" meant "opinion". That said, perpetuating these memes about how Apple has to include an adapter in the box 'or they're doomed', and how users won't be able to charge while they listen if Apple does this, or that this would require a "giant dongle" is frustrating.
    Agreed. Just picturing some doofus with their head tethered to the wall via the chain of headphones > iPhone > Lightning > Wall...just tells you why Apple does NOT need to care about this.

People also seem to forget that the first iPhone launched without support for 3.5 mm headphones also. It was a recessed jack that required an adapter. And Apple did not give a shit, and did not include an adapter. This decision also did not affect sales. At all. Of course.
  • Reply 38 of 39
    2016 MacBook Pro: Can't they add the Smart Connector and make that the new Mag Safe??
  • Reply 39 of 39
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Speaking of iPhone 7 ideas, I just ran across this cute one.

While he has little understanding of how Jobs’ Apple works, I actually think exposed hinged parts like that would fly in today’s Apple.

But of course the concept is silly. Rolling screens are still a long way from faultless production, never mind in the quantities needed for an iPhone. And that says nothing about the utility of such a thing on a device meant to actually be held.

Still, it’s always nice to see effort put into ideas.