Dead Apple employee identified as 25-year-old software engineer, report says [u]

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 70
    foad said:
    wizard69 said:
    It is called gallows humor and frankly it helps people handle bad situations. Talk to a fire fighter about some of the things they have seen and you will understand where cracking a few jokes can go a long way to reducing the stress of reality. Reality is that people often die in fairly gruesome ways. Beyond that have you ever heard of insurance, many plans have exclusions for suicide but many don't the end effect is the same as what happens in China, somebody gets a fat paycheck over someones death.

The offense is largely in your mind. It is unfortunate that somebody takes this route but a rational view taken would cause one to realize that the planet is over populated and as such this death is insignificant. The idiot here is the guy that took his life and frankly it is right and proper to make light of his idiocy.

As for your wish for censorship, you can shove that idea in some dark place. We have in this world far to many people that want to silence the message instead of debuting a reasonable rebuttal. The tendency to go PC in this country sucks and frankly it is something that needs to come to an end.

I can appreciate some people trying to make light of something as a coping mechanism but when I read elsewhere a comment like "he was Hispanic so good riddance", that's not gallow humor. That's flat out racism. When someone signs up here just to say something derogatory, that isn't productive.

What I am saying has nothing to do with being PC and everything to do with being a decent person. Just because the anonymity of the Internet exists doesn't mean people should be a-holes. 
    When you watch a cop drama and hear them cracking jokes about a victim at the crime scene or on the autopsy table, this is a pretty much what happens in real life. Nothing wrong with it and it doesn't mean they are bad people. It's just a way to not get emotionally drained and unable to do your job. 
  • Reply 62 of 70
    sflocal said:
    This person's death could have been for any reason... heart attack, other medical conditions, freak accident, but wait... this guy worked at Apple... yeah... AI MUST report this!
    Because its an odd story. He died as a result of suicide ON the apple campus. Chill out.
  • Reply 63 of 70
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    wizard69 said:

The tendency to go PC in this country sucks and frankly it is something that needs to come to an end.
    Agreed, and it'll be ending soon. We are putting an end to disgusting PCness that rears its ugly head everywhere. The process has already begun.
  • Reply 64 of 70
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    Too bad. So young. 25 years old, probably with an advanced degree might indicate he was extremely driven or perhaps his parents were driving him to succeed. Sometimes, especially recently, a 25 year old doesn't always have the maturity one might expect of an adult. Whatever problem it was that caused this would have likely passed and been forgotten soon. As a middle aged person I can see the big picture a lot better than I did at that age. Life is already too short.
    edited April 2016
  • Reply 65 of 70
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    Recently there are a lot of leaks of Apple future iPhone.  There seems some insider collaborating.  May be this is the person that got caught and was reprimanded severely?
  • Reply 66 of 70
    Condolences to his family.
    netmage
  • Reply 67 of 70
    koopkoop Posts: 337member
    wizard69 said:
    foad said:
    I have seen some genuinely disturbing comments here and elsewhere WRT this sad story. People making jokes or trying to link Apple's earnings to this or evening trying to link this to the Chinese factory suicides (which were highly motivated by the payouts factory employees' families would get in the case of a suicide). It is highly offensive and makes light of a tragedy. He was a human being that we literally have zero insight into why he chose to take his own life and people think it is ok to say whatever they want.

I wish articles like this weren't even open to comments because it leads to the worst of people coming through.

The offense is largely in your mind. It is unfortunate that somebody takes this route but a rational view taken would cause one to realize that the planet is over populated and as such this death is insignificant. The idiot here is the guy that took his life and frankly it is right and proper to make light of his idiocy.

As for your wish for censorship, you can shove that idea in some dark place. We have in this world far to many people that want to silence the message instead of debuting a reasonable rebuttal. The tendency to go PC in this country sucks and frankly it is something that needs to come to an end.

Yes, that's the..."rational view". I prefer an incredibly vapid view, formed by edgy internet cynicism brought on by anonymity of these services. It's also an uninformed, baseless, regurgitation of ignorant understanding of mental health. "his idiocy"? Suicide is the result of a very complex set of problems that is increasingly linked to physical ailments in the brain. Imbalances in the workings of emotional centers, that can cause people to behave and choose actions a healthy brain wouldn't choose. Much like cancer would create reactions in your body that a healthy body wouldn't have.

Don't pretend to take the high road and claim anti-PC culture bullshit. That type of argument has transformed from a reasonable critique of college campuses and young adults to a catch-all sledgehammer for stupid people to argue that acting stupid should be protected from being told to shut the fuck up.
    edited April 2016 netmage
  • Reply 68 of 70
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    apple ][ said:
    djsherly said:
    In what way?
    By choosing to commit suicide at their own workplace out of all places and making a spectacle of things. Very unprofessional to say the least.
    Since the person is dead you cannot know his intent to make a "spectacle of things."  You really think a person who is in such a degraded mental state that they contemplate and then carry through a suicice, would or could be concerned about others and the impact their actions might have?  That is just plain silly, their minds are broken at this point and expecting them to use reason or logic in that state is just moronic and crass.  Plus, completely weird use of the word "unprofessional" here.

I think your trolling has been very successful here.
    edited April 2016 koopcnocbui
  • Reply 69 of 70
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    koop said:
    argue that acting stupid should be protected from being told to shut the fuck up.
    On the contrary. Not being politically correct means the exact opposite of protecting idiots from being told their ideas are bullshit.