Apple's iPad Pro beating Microsoft Surface in 'detachable' tablet market

Posted:
in iPad
Apple's iPad Pro is already surpassing the Microsoft Surface in the so-called "detachable" tablet market, though that market is still relatively small, according to a new research report.

Over 4.9 million detachables were sold in the March quarter, a triple-digit growth versus the same period in 2015, said IDC. The firm didn't offer a platform-specific breakdown of those numbers, or an exact definition of detachables, although that appears to refer to tablets that have a dedicated method of attaching docks, keyboards, or other accessories -- in the case of the iPad Pro, the Smart Connector.

Regular "slate" tablets accounted for 87.6 percent of units sold in the March quarter. That market is said to be sliding towards the low end, which may help vendors like Amazon that simply want to grow their ecosystem, but is said to be pushing the likes of Samsung and Huawei to produce detachables for the sake of keeping up profit margins.

The tablet market as a whole reportedly shrank 14.7 percent year-over-year to 39.6 million units. Apple continued to lead with 10.3 million shipments, although its marketshare fell from 27.2 percent to 25.9. Samsung ranked second with 6 million tablets, seeing its share dip from 18 percent to 15.2. In third was Amazon, with 2.2 million units and a 5.7 percent share.

IDC speculated that going into the future, iPad sales will be "largely relegated to replacements" of older iPads and PCs, rather than net new additions. Things like the 9.7-inch iPad Pro are said to be "healthy additions," however, and lower $399 pricetag for the iPad Air 2 could spur upgrades by people who still own an iPad 2.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 54
    What?!! That can't be right. Real work requires a real computer with a real operating systems and a filesystem. /s
    edited April 2016 magman1979pscooter63chiajony0cornchip
  • Reply 2 of 54
    kent909kent909 Posts: 731member
    Maybe it's me, but I don't see any correlation between the article and the data table. The table does not breakout detachable devices, unless all are considered as such. So where does the 4.9 mil. come from?
    jackansi
  • Reply 3 of 54
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    I don't know of anyone who has bought a Surface Pro (3 or 4) that bought it to use a tablet. They bought it because they thought it was (supposed to be) a slick, ultra portable laptop replacement. A common theme has also been a lot of regret when it turns out to be not what they thought. For a while it was people getting Windows RT and not understanding why nothing was compatible. Now that time has passed, and its more I/O woes, and random quirks this hardware exhibits that other OEM laptops do not.

Source: I work with a lot of people that purchase their own equipment for work.
    VisualSeedai46tmayrevenantjony0cornchip
  • Reply 4 of 54
    kent909 said:
    Maybe it's me, but I don't see any correlation between the article and the data table. The table does not breakout detachable devices, unless all are considered as such. So where does the 4.9 mil. come from?
    Yeah, the table just shows shipments by tablet manufacturer. No real indication how many units are Surface Pro class devices with detachable keyboards and all those iPads aren't Pros.
    jackansi
  • Reply 5 of 54
    How's the Surface Book doing? I don't hear too much about that anymore, even though it was supposedly the next big thing. 
    calibaconstangwilliamlondonbadmonkjony0
  • Reply 6 of 54
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Is this really a surprise to anybody?

The iPad Pro has been outselling the Surface for a while now.

I remember seeing a bunch of articles a few months ago about how the iPad Pro was selling more than the Surface.

Despite not hitting the market until the middle of the last quarter, Apple sold 2 million units of its iPad Pro, exceeding sales of the Microsoft Surface, which came in at 1.6 million units for the quarter, according to IDC estimates. The research group called the iPad Pro the big winner in a declining tablet market which fell 10 percent year over year.

Apple's iPad Pro outsold Microsoft's Surface tablet last quarter

http://www.theverge.com/2016/2/1/10886720/apple-ipad-pro-outsold-microsoft-surface-sales
  • Reply 7 of 54
    pmz said:
    I don't know of anyone ...

Anecdotes as market research.
    lord amhranSnRa
  • Reply 8 of 54
    Microsoft only got into hardware out of desperation; one of many bad Ballmer moves. The only reason why they haven't cut bait with the strategy is because of pride, and because they have significantly reduced their original strategy - which was to seriously compete with Apple by selling many tens of millions of hardware yearly - to emulate the similarly failed Nexus strategy, which is to the Surface program to sell devices to their devoted fans, to have something to show off to their (still strong) enterprise customers, and free advertising. But at the end of the day, Microsoft is a software (now software and services) company. Any money that they get on hardware is a bonus. And if they aren't going to make money on their own hardware, they will more than make up for it by making money on everyone else's, including all of the Office 360 licenses they are getting from iPad Pro users. Another thing: Microsoft isn't the only one making Windows 10 2-in-1 devices. HP, Dell and a bunch of other companies are also. Samsung's Galaxy Note 6 will run Android in smartphone mode, but it is being sold with a dock that will switch it to Windows 10 when it is in tablet/laptop mode. At least a couple of Chinese smartphone companies are coming out with similar Android/Windows 10 docking devices, and I think at least 1 copycat is trying to beat Samsung to market. Of course, Microsoft is thrilled about this, and Google is the opposite of thrilled. Samsung's doing this is what finally got Google to put multi-window/multi-tasking in Android. Before they wouldn't do it because of the turf war between Chrome OS and Android. It was the same reason why Google didn't do squat for tablets and other larger form factor devices since releasing Honeycomb (Android 3.0) way back in 2011. But now to keep the OEMs from migrating to Windows 10 - which Microsoft is also giving out for free - Google is putting Google Play Store on Chrome OS - to make touchscreen ChromeOS devices like the Asus Flip actually worth buying - and is putting productivity features in Android. Too little, too late. They left Microsoft an opening, and to their credit Microsoft went through it. Google should have told their ChromeOS division to sink or swim on their own merit. As it is, Google totally lost the tablet market - which will still be pretty important going forward in the enterprise and creative markets - because they were trying to prop up a failed ChromeOS idea whose only niche is standardized-testing driven public schools who can neither afford or manage better tech.
    caliai46
  • Reply 9 of 54
    runbuhrunbuh Posts: 315member
    apple ][ said:

I remember seeing a bunch of articles a few months ago about how the iPad Pro was selling more than the Surface.

Despite not hitting the market until the middle of the last quarter, Apple sold 2 million units of its iPad Pro, exceeding sales of the Microsoft Surface, which came in at 1.6 million units for the quarter, according to IDC estimates. The research group called the iPad Pro the big winner in a declining tablet market which fell 10 percent year over year.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/2/1/10886720/apple-ipad-pro-outsold-microsoft-surface-sales
    I wonder how the numbers compare now.  Your article was from February, but the the recent Microsoft earning report from April 21st indicates: 

http://www.theverge.com/2016/4/21/11477446/microsoft-earnings-report-q3-2016

Surface-related revenue is up to $1.1 billion this quarter, an increase of 61 percent from the same period last year. Both the Surface Pro 4 and Surface Book helped push sales, but as always Microsoft is keeping the exact number of devices a secret.
    edited April 2016 jackansi
  • Reply 10 of 54
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    What?!! That can't be right. Real work requires a real computer with a real operating systems and a filesystem. /s
    It does, that's why those numbers are tiny.
    lord amhranjackansisingularityiSalmanPak
  • Reply 11 of 54
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    With iOS maturing it won't be long before surface is obsolete.

MS should enjoy all their sales/appeal now because iOS isn't slowing down.
    tmaybaconstangwilliamlondon
  • Reply 12 of 54
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    cnocbui said:
    what nonsense. for my side business all of my time is spent in email or some office docs. why isn't doing that on my iPad real work? oh yeah, it completely is and your statement is troll scat, as usual. 

repeat after me: not everybody is you. not everybody needs to do whatever it is you need to do.
    icoco3baconstangpscooter63williamlondonchia
  • Reply 13 of 54
    atlappleatlapple Posts: 496member
    cnocbui said:
    what nonsense. for my side business all of my time is spent in email or some office docs. why isn't doing that on my iPad real work? oh yeah, it completely is and your statement is troll scat, as usual. 

repeat after me: not everybody is you. not everybody needs to do whatever it is you need to do.
    Repeat after me, even more are not like you which is why they require more than email and office docs. It's also why iPad sales are consistently down. iPad beating the Surface is like the Apple Watch beating wearables, both markets are weak so it like beating a person with one leg in a race, not that dramatic. 
    jackansicnocbui
  • Reply 14 of 54
    runbuh said:
    apple ][ said:

I wonder how the numbers compare now.  Your article was from February, but the the recent Microsoft earning report from April 21st indicates: 

http://www.theverge.com/2016/4/21/11477446/microsoft-earnings-report-q3-2016

Surface-related revenue is up to $1.1 billion this quarter, an increase of 61 percent from the same period last year. Both the Surface Pro 4 and Surface Book helped push sales, but as always Microsoft is keeping the exact number of devices a secret.

The Surface Pro 4 starts at $899 while the Surface Book at $1,499. At their stated $1.1 billion revenue it's doubtful they even sold 1 million of the Pro 4/Book combined. Unless everyone bought the base models and sales were heavily skewed to the Pro 4.
    tmaywilliamlondon
  • Reply 15 of 54
    apple ][ said:

That was my thought. When was this ever NOT the case? And what difference does that make when iPad sales are plummeting along with the entire tablet market? Congratulations, iPad is smoking Surface as both fall into decline. 
  • Reply 16 of 54
    knowitallknowitall Posts: 1,648member
    Linus would say: maybe a detached HEAD.
    jackansi
  • Reply 17 of 54
    knowitallknowitall Posts: 1,648member
    cali said:
    With iOS maturing it won't be long before surface is obsolete.
    Surface is obsolete.
    baconstangcali
  • Reply 18 of 54
    pmz said:
    I don't know of anyone who has bought a Surface Pro (3 or 4) that bought it to use a tablet. They bought it because they thought it was (supposed to be) a slick, ultra portable laptop replacement. A common theme has also been a lot of regret when it turns out to be not what they thought. For a while it was people getting Windows RT and not understanding why nothing was compatible. Now that time has passed, and its more I/O woes, and random quirks this hardware exhibits that other OEM laptops do not.

Every Surface Pro users I know bought theirs for work, and uses it as an ultra-portable laptop, not as a tablet. It's always in landscape mode, keyboard attached, propped up on its kickstand, running the classic desktop apps.
    pscooter63chia
  • Reply 19 of 54
    ipilyaipilya Posts: 195member
    nolamacguy said:

I am writing PHP code all day... and running the code via the CLI on remote servers.... so I will be getting the next revision of the large iPad Pro to do my work when I am out and about. More then email... and honestly - a Cloud based workflow makes it the ideal device when moving around.
    tmayjustadcomicspscooter63williamlondonchia
  • Reply 20 of 54
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    I'm hoping for an iPad Pro 2 this fall, because I plan on getting one.

williamlondon