Apple to partner with Coach on new leather Apple Watch bands, coming as soon as June

Posted:
in Apple Watch
New leather Apple Watch bands made by luxury fashion brand Coach could arrive as soon as Apple's Worldwide Developer Conference in June, a new report has revealed.

Via Haute Ecriture.

Sales associates with Coach have apparently been informed that new bands are on the way, arriving as soon as June, according to Haute Ecriture. Employees have been provided with documents showing the forthcoming leather Apple Watch band lineup.

In all, associates are said to have been brought into the loop on about eight upcoming bands, which will be available in white, black, red, and brown. Some are said to have charms on them while others were stitched, and each is said to retail for $150.

A June launch makes sense, as Apple could unveil the new partnership with Coach at WWDC. The annual developers conference kicks off June 13.

Since the Apple Watch went on sale a year ago, Apple has introduced new band styles and colors on a regular basis, keeping options for the wearable device fresh. The company launched a range of new nylon bands last month at an event unveiling the iPhone SE and 9.7-inch iPad Pro.

The apparent partnership between Apple and Coach would mark the second high-end fashion brand to bring custom bands to the Apple Watch. A special Hermes edition of the Apple Watch launched in January.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 37
    Ooh! This is exactly what we needed...
    cnocbui
  • Reply 2 of 37
    sog35 said:
    This will definitely bring the stock back to $130

Jesus Christ. Stop wasting time on fashion and get your ass in gear Apple.

If the rumors are the true and the iPhone 7 looks like the iPhone 6 I'll be pissed.

I seriously think Apple needs to add a Co-Design chief to weaken Ive's influence on the company.  His designs are tired and stale at this point.

This is what the iPhone 7 should have looked like:

ZERO BEZEL.
    100% Glass body. 
    Awesome.
    And double the friggin' battery life while you're at it! God forbid they make it 1 millimeter thicker. 
    dachar
  • Reply 3 of 37
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    Do you two honestly believe that the different iPhone development teams are also tasked with working with partners on different watch bands?

What is wrong with increasing the value of the Apple Watch ecosystem (and bringing in some direct revenue) by having partners develop those bands and then marketing them?
    edited April 2016 fastasleepigorskyrogifan_newpatchythepirateai46macguiquadra 6101983nolamacguywilliamlondon
  • Reply 4 of 37
    igorskyigorsky Posts: 755member
    brucemc said:
    Do you two honestly believe that the different iPhone development teams are also tasked with working with partners on different watch bands?

What is wrong with increasing the value of the Apple Watch ecosystem (and bringing in some direct revenue) by having partners develop those bands and then marketing them?
    Be careful...you might rattle their brain cells with your logical thinking. Steve Jobs, of course, didn't care about making money, that's why he priced the iPhone as highly as he did.
    edited April 2016 ai46nolamacguyaaronj
  • Reply 5 of 37
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member
    Damn! New watch bands AND iMovie??!
    No stoppin' us now!!
    anantksundaramai461983cnocbui
  • Reply 6 of 37
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    sog35 said:
    This will definitely bring the stock back to $130

Jesus Christ. Stop wasting time on fashion and get your ass in gear Apple.

If the rumors are the true and the iPhone 7 looks like the iPhone 6 I'll be pissed.

I seriously think Apple needs to add a Co-Design chief to weaken Ive's influence on the company.  His designs are tired and stale at this point.

This is what the iPhone 7 should have looked like:

ZERO BEZEL.
    100% Glass body. 
    Awesome.
    You should love watch bands as I'm sure the margins on them are fantastic. 
    edited April 2016 1983nolamacguy
  • Reply 7 of 37
    I kind of agree with @sog35 on some of the point. Apple can announce new watch bands, etc. But making big announcements at some of the key events is just too much. It looks like Apple is focusing little bit too much on the non-innovation stuff. Announcing Apple Retail Store Version 3.0 is great for people who are in retail and Architecture profession, though it is not what people are looking for. I am a big fan of Apple and I do enjoy visiting Apple Store, but I think we are getting a bit defocused. I do hope Apple is working on something killer behind this small changes here and there. As an Apple investor, I am concerned about the continuous leak of stock value. Yes, Apple does get unfair whacks by the market and there is some unrealistic expectation from Apple v/s other companies. What as FB innovated recently, how about Google? Sorry for the tangent there.

I think all this extra emphasis on watch band and next version of Apple Retail Store and trying to make Apple another fashion house is doing of Angela. That is what she knows and that is all see can do. Tim you really need to have Ive focus back onto product design and not location design. Enough of the bands - Leave that up to all those accessories guys. I can buy a decent leather bands for $21.99 through GroupOn and they come in different colors also to watch my wardrobe.
  • Reply 8 of 37
    dachardachar Posts: 330member
    I kind of agree with @sog35 on some of the point. Apple can announce new watch bands, etc. But making big announcements at some of the key events is just too much. It looks like Apple is focusing little bit too much on the non-innovation stuff. Announcing Apple Retail Store Version 3.0 is great for people who are in retail and Architecture profession, though it is not what people are looking for. I am a big fan of Apple and I do enjoy visiting Apple Store, but I think we are getting a bit defocused. I do hope Apple is working on something killer behind this small changes here and there. As an Apple investor, I am concerned about the continuous leak of stock value. Yes, Apple does get unfair whacks by the market and there is some unrealistic expectation from Apple v/s other companies. What as FB innovated recently, how about Google? Sorry for the tangent there.

I think all this extra emphasis on watch band and next version of Apple Retail Store and trying to make Apple another fashion house is doing of Angela. That is what she knows and that is all see can do. Tim you really need to have Ive focus back onto product design and not location design. Enough of the bands - Leave that up to all those accessories guys. I can buy a decent leather bands for $21.99 through GroupOn and they come in different colors also to watch my wardrobe.

I have the idea that Ive's new position is a cover for him taking control of the new HQ building and the Apple Car. If he is not involved this might explain why some of the designs and innovations are starting to drift into mediocrity.  I also think Angela is over paid and that this may be presenting a problem. She needs to be seen to be doing something to justify her position. This appears to be changing store designs but is this really necessary? 
  • Reply 9 of 37

I must have missed something. When did Apple announce a partnership with Coach of Apple retail 3.0? If they did can you point me to the video or press release? At the March event new watch bands took up maybe a minute of the presentation. The point of new watch bands is to try and keep the product 'fresh' in between releases. And since Sog and others are so damn concerned about ways Apple can monetize the user base why in the hell would they outsource watch bands to 3rd parties?
    nolamacguymacguiaaronj
  • Reply 10 of 37
    dachar said:

I have the idea that Ive's new position is a cover for him taking control of the new HQ building and the Apple Car. If he is not involved this might explain why some of the designs and innovations are starting to drift into mediocrity.  I also think Angela is over paid and that this may be presenting a problem. She needs to be seen to be doing something to justify her position. This appears to be changing store designs but is this really necessary? 
    I have this idea that Apple has a 'meh' quarter and everyone comes out with their concern trolling. It's really Zzzzzz.
    patchythepiratenolamacguy
  • Reply 11 of 37
    ahx1ahx1 Posts: 6member
    one thing Coach isn't... is high class!
  • Reply 12 of 37
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member
    I kind of agree with @sog35 on some of the point. ...

God forbid, me also... but he has some elements in his rambling rants diatribes that ring true... partially, maybe, sometimes, on occasion.

Here are some things that could be used as legit criticisms against Apple and Yes there are valid counter arguments also.

• The unwritten 80(user uses it, needs it etc) / 20 (user does not) rule is ok as it goes; but eventually with enough products/feature, your users are going to be bit by the 20 artificial limitation you build in and tick them off!!!. Perhaps shoot for 90/10 or maybe, just maybe a 99/1!
    • Passing on some established internet opportunities like You-tube and Waze.
    • Instead of 115 billion stock buyback, buy Comcast, Disney or whatever. Something to be longer term 'stable' revenue generator. Otherwise admit profits could go drastically down once iPhone growth phase is over.
    • Apple      Music is a disaster;  its focused on the industry execs / entertainer profits and not focusing on the customer access/user experience. Free (ad supported) Customer access for ALL USERS, not a pay per month is the natural profit level for industry. Taking down Apple radio (ad supported) etc... is a flip from Steve Jobs view. 15 Mil users is trivial in the sense of 1Billion potential users. What if they charge 20 dollars a year for streaming...x 500 million users... not too shabby
    • Low memory storage in devices is crap- 80/20? rule, is used to upsell, cloud up sell;  or makes for faster obsolesce (and I think Steve would do this too)
    • Tossing professional apps aside is short sighted--- same 80/20 rule - but professional apps lead the way for consumer updates-- gives status/cache to Apple from the movers/shakers in various industry. Steve wanted to 'compete' and kick ass! with professional industry.. no freaking solid gold computer on my wristy thing is going to do that.
    • Non-user upgradeable devices is crap (and I think Steve would do this too)
    • ATV4 not 4k capable (WTF? 80/20 rule again)?
    • Ipad pro 9.7-- USB 2 data speeds (WTF? 80/20 rule again)
    • Lack of ports. One more stinking port on the MacBook.. really, that's a deal breaker for you Apple? (80/20 rule again?)
    • $1699 WDCC... really, even though its a lottery and you have $200 billion in the bank (oh forgot had to pay back share holders first)
    • ibook author 'fantastic'... um what happen?
    • Bring back skeuomorphism. I have no idea how to get a lot of features anymore with out going to 'google' to find out how. This isn't Microsoft!!
    • A car?  Pick you lane and stay in it Apple.. pun intended

singularity1983
  • Reply 13 of 37
    I think @sog35 vents too much spleen and goes off the deep end often, and I disagree with him often, but I have to agree with some of his observations related to the iPhone 7.

Accounting for a predominant share of its revenues of its revenues and profits, Apple is an iPhone company at this point in time. iPad revenue is declining, Mac sales are doing well but the slope is not hugely positive, the Watch is a rounding error, and the services ecosystem (iTunes, iLife, ApplePay, CarPlay, Apple Music, etc etc) is creaking at the margins. China is a question mark now, India will take a few more years to come to fruition as will the Car (which could be vaporware for all we know).

You can say or think what you will, but the market does not believe anything else about Apple. It's in some substantial part because Tim Cook and co. have simply not articulated a cogent, different narrative for the company's future except to make the same old stale statement "we have an exciting pipeline".

In that context, the 7 had better be an out-of-the-park home run. I am not saying that it won't be, but it is important to not lose sight of the fact that there's a lot riding on it.
    1983cnocbui
  • Reply 14 of 37
    igorsky said:
    bobschlob said:
    Damn! New watch bands AND iMovie??!
    No stoppin' us now!!
    You should take your GED diploma to Apple and help them design something special.  
    ooh. That hurt.
    ai46
  • Reply 15 of 37

boeyc15 said:
    I kind of agree with @sog35 on some of the point. ...

God forbid, me also... but he has some elements in his rambling rants diatribes that ring true... partially, maybe, sometimes, on occasion.

Here are some things that could be used as legit criticisms against Apple and Yes there are valid counter arguments also.

• The unwritten 80(user uses it, needs it etc) / 20 (user does not) rule is ok as it goes; but eventually with enough products/feature, your users are going to be bit by the 20 artificial limitation you build in and tick them off!!!. Perhaps shoot for 90/10 or maybe, just maybe a 99/1!
    • Passing on some established internet opportunities like You-tube and Waze.
    • Instead of 115 billion stock buyback, buy Comcast, Disney or whatever. Something to be longer term 'stable' revenue generator. Otherwise admit profits could go drastically down once iPhone growth phase is over.
    • Apple      Music is a disaster;  its focused on the industry execs / entertainer profits and not focusing on the customer access/user experience. Free (ad supported) Customer access for ALL USERS, not a pay per month is the natural profit level for industry. Taking down Apple radio (ad supported) etc... is a flip from Steve Jobs view. 15 Mil users is trivial in the sense of 1Billion potential users. What if they charge 20 dollars a year for streaming...x 500 million users... not too shabby
    • Low memory storage in devices is crap- 80/20? rule, is used to upsell, cloud up sell;  or makes for faster obsolesce (and I think Steve would do this too)
    • Tossing professional apps aside is short sighted--- same 80/20 rule - but professional apps lead the way for consumer updates-- gives status/cache to Apple from the movers/shakers in various industry. Steve wanted to 'compete' and kick ass! with professional industry.. no freaking solid gold computer on my wristy thing is going to do that.
    • Non-user upgradeable devices is crap (and I think Steve would do this too)
    • ATV4 not 4k capable (WTF? 80/20 rule again)?
    • Ipad pro 9.7-- USB 2 data speeds (WTF? 80/20 rule again)
    • Lack of ports. One more stinking port on the MacBook.. really, that's a deal breaker for you Apple? (80/20 rule again?)
    • $1699 WDCC... really, even though its a lottery and you have $200 billion in the bank (oh forgot had to pay back share holders first)
    • ibook author 'fantastic'... um what happen?
    • Bring back skeuomorphism. I have no idea how to get a lot of features anymore with out going to 'google' to find out how. This isn't Microsoft!!
    • A car?  Pick you lane and stay in it Apple.. pun intended

You know, the problem here is not sog. The problem is that we have all become accustomed to years of brainless hatred and bashing of this great company, so that if someone offers up any kind of (actual) 'legitimate' questioning or criticism of Apple, they are simply swept into the crapbox as a "hater" "idiot" "basher", etc.
    Anybody who can read without blind bias, can tell the guy loves Apple. Probably even has a good portion of his personal life tied up with the company and it's products (as many of us do).

As to your list; I agree with 'most' of your bullets. The rest I do not. That's what makes world go 'round, I guess.
    anantksundaram1983
  • Reply 16 of 37
    mj webmj web Posts: 918member
    Well, the band is the only saving grace of the watch. If not for the band, Apple Watch would be totally useless! If not tethered to an iPhone it doesn't work at all. Did I mention it looks like a Sumo sized Chicklet? Apple is becoming Sony under Tim Cook.
  • Reply 17 of 37
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    The Apple Watch today commands roughly half of the total smartwatch market share. Yes. Around half. And they've managed that almost overnight, though it's pegged even higher than that (re: market share.) It's a successful product that partners beautifully with the iPhone (and sky's the limit for the future.)

So yes, Apple SHOULD continue to improve the product, both in terms of internals, design, and accessories (bands, etc.) It's a winner in its class.
    edited April 2016 bobschlobpatchythepiratenolamacguyaaronj
  • Reply 18 of 37
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,563member
    sog35 said:
    Instead of making the iPhone 7 the most awesome looking piece of hardware ever they:

1. Make new Watch bands
    2. Waste time talking about Gay rights
    3. Waste time talking about making the company more green
    4. Waste time talking about health kit 
    5. Waste time talking about diversity
    6. Waste time talking about inventory and currency exchange
    7. Waste time talking about their self endulgent new head quarters
    8. Waste time talking about a robot recycler
    All of those things except 1.), 6.) and 7.) are WAY more important than your seal of approval on a fucking cellphone.
    edited April 2016 macguinolamacguyaaronj
  • Reply 19 of 37
    spheric said:
    sog35 said:
    Instead of making the iPhone 7 the most awesome looking piece of hardware ever they:

1. Make new Watch bands
    2. Waste time talking about Gay rights
    3. Waste time talking about making the company more green
    4. Waste time talking about health kit 
    5. Waste time talking about diversity
    6. Waste time talking about inventory and currency exchange
    7. Waste time talking about their self endulgent new head quarters
    8. Waste time talking about a robot recycler
    All of those things except 1.), 6.) and 7.) are WAY more important than your seal of approval on a fucking cellphone.
    You know that this thread is about '1.', right? So, in essence, you're in agreement with his broader sentiment?
  • Reply 20 of 37
    lukeilukei Posts: 379member
    I'd rather they fixed the service proposition first. I have a faulty Watch. So far 3.5 hours on the phone with Apple, 1 hour in a Store to be told by a Genius 'we don't have the expertise here it has to go away'. Wait for UPS to deliver packaging, send back. Apple support ran standard diagnostics. Didn't call me about fault and now it's back with the same problem.