Apple to partner with Coach on new leather Apple Watch bands, coming as soon as June

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 37
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    sog35 said:
    This will definitely bring the stock back to $130

Jesus Christ. Stop wasting time on fashion and get your ass in gear Apple.

If the rumors are the true and the iPhone 7 looks like the iPhone 6 I'll be pissed.

I seriously think Apple needs to add a Co-Design chief to weaken Ive's influence on the company.  His designs are tired and stale at this point.

This is what the iPhone 7 should have looked like:

ZERO BEZEL.
    100% Glass body. 
    Awesome.
    I think they keep on doing this sort of thing because its easy and doesn't require much in the way of investment.
  • Reply 22 of 37
    sog35 said:
    This will definitely bring the stock back to $130

Jesus Christ. Stop wasting time on fashion and get your ass in gear Apple.

If the rumors are the true and the iPhone 7 looks like the iPhone 6 I'll be pissed.

I seriously think Apple needs to add a Co-Design chief to weaken Ive's influence on the company.  His designs are tired and stale at this point.

This is what the iPhone 7 should have looked like:

ZERO BEZEL.
    100% Glass body. 
    Awesome.
    You should love watch bands as I'm sure the margins on them are fantastic. 
    Oh yes! $150 for a strip of leather. I reckon the margins are in the multiple hundreds of percent!
  • Reply 23 of 37
    I kind of agree with @sog35 on some of the point. Apple can announce new watch bands, etc. But making big announcements at some of the key events is just too much. It looks like Apple is focusing little bit too much on the non-innovation stuff. Announcing Apple Retail Store Version 3.0 is great for people who are in retail and Architecture profession, though it is not what people are looking for. I am a big fan of Apple and I do enjoy visiting Apple Store, but I think we are getting a bit defocused. I do hope Apple is working on something killer behind this small changes here and there. As an Apple investor, I am concerned about the continuous leak of stock value. Yes, Apple does get unfair whacks by the market and there is some unrealistic expectation from Apple v/s other companies. What as FB innovated recently, how about Google? Sorry for the tangent there.

I think all this extra emphasis on watch band and next version of Apple Retail Store and trying to make Apple another fashion house is doing of Angela. That is what she knows and that is all see can do. Tim you really need to have Ive focus back onto product design and not location design. Enough of the bands - Leave that up to all those accessories guys. I can buy a decent leather bands for $21.99 through GroupOn and they come in different colors also to watch my wardrob

Exactly! I think you hit the nail on the head there. And I don't think its going to work over the long run either. In the end she'll leave Apple. And the company will then come to the conclusion: 'What were we thinking!'
    edited April 2016
  • Reply 24 of 37
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    1983 said:
    Oh yes! $150 for a strip of leather. I reckon the margins are in the multiple hundreds of percent!
    I'm serious. Sog is obsessed with Apple making gobs of money which they do with watch bands.
  • Reply 25 of 37

1983 said:
    I kind of agree with @sog35 on some of the point. Apple can announce new watch bands, etc. But making big announcements at some of the key events is just too much. It looks like Apple is focusing little bit too much on the non-innovation stuff. Announcing Apple Retail Store Version 3.0 is great for people who are in retail and Architecture profession, though it is not what people are looking for. I am a big fan of Apple and I do enjoy visiting Apple Store, but I think we are getting a bit defocused. I do hope Apple is working on something killer behind this small changes here and there. As an Apple investor, I am concerned about the continuous leak of stock value. Yes, Apple does get unfair whacks by the market and there is some unrealistic expectation from Apple v/s other companies. What as FB innovated recently, how about Google? Sorry for the tangent there.

I think all this extra emphasis on watch band and next version of Apple Retail Store and trying to make Apple another fashion house is doing of Angela. That is what she knows and that is all see can do. Tim you really need to have Ive focus back onto product design and not location design. Enough of the bands - Leave that up to all those accessories guys. I can buy a decent leather bands for $21.99 through GroupOn and they come in different colors also to watch my wardrob

Exactly! I think you hit the nail on the head there. And I don't think its going to work over the long run either. In the end she'll leave Apple. And the company will then come to the conclusion: 'What were we thinking!'
    What exactly isn't she doing that she should be? I've never had bad service at any of my local Apple stores. I guess I don't understand the hate. 
    nolamacguy
  • Reply 26 of 37
    I think all this extra emphasis on watch band and next version of Apple Retail Store and trying to make Apple another fashion house is doing of Angela. That is what she knows and that is all see can do. Tim you really need to have Ive focus back onto product design and not location design. Enough of the bands - Leave that up to all those accessories guys. I can buy a decent leather bands for $21.99 through GroupOn and they come in different colors also to watch my wardrobe.
    Tim has two VPs that run design and report to him. Jony Ive, like Bob Mansfield before him is doing exactly what he wants to do at Apple. I think it's smart move on Tim's part. According to Ive's bio on Apple's website he's responsible for new ideas and initiatives. I'd rather have him working on that than another iteration of iPhone or Mac. What's really left to do with those products outside of incremental improvements?
  • Reply 27 of 37
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,564member
    spheric said:
    All of those things except 1.), 6.) and 7.) are WAY more important than your seal of approval on a fucking cellphone.
    You know that this thread is about '1.', right? So, in essence, you're in agreement with his broader sentiment?
    I'm pretty sure that the team working on collaborating with fashion designers, making money for Apple on essentially zero effort (by authorising external designs) have very, very little to do with the team that is in charge of "making the iPhone 7 the most awesome looking piece of hardware ever". 

Why does anybody care except watch and fashion aficionados, and investors, for all of whom this is Good News?
  • Reply 28 of 37
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    Ooh! This is exactly what we needed...
    what, you mean a new short-timer troll on this site? yeah was thinking the same while reviewing your post history...
  • Reply 29 of 37

sog35 said:
    brucemc said:
    Do you two dipshits honestly believe that the different iPhone development teams are also tasked with working with partners on different watch bands?

What is wrong with increasing the value of the Apple Watch ecosystem (and bringing in some direct revenue) by having partners develop those bands and then marketing them?  Are you seriously that stupid?
    I have no problem with new Watch bands. Zero.

But if they are going to release an iPhone 7 that looks just like the iPhone 6 I'll be pissed.  

Why work on small crap like new bands and neglect your most important product?  I just can't imagine the iPhone stuck for THREE YEARS with the same design. Friken pathetic.

Give me one good reason why Apple can't be the LEADER in hardware design? They have more money and more profits than anyone!!!! There is no excuse for them to be behind on design. Hell even cheap POS companies like Huawei have nicer looking phones.

Look how nice that phone looks with small bezel. Why the hell can't Apple match that? With all the money they have!!

The only reason is either they are lazy or Ive is just bored.
    do you cry so hard about MacBooks looking the same most years? DVD players, home receivers? etc etc. 

"oh nos ma phone looks da same!"
  • Reply 30 of 37
    lukei said:
    I'd rather they fixed the service proposition first. I have a faulty Watch. So far 3.5 hours on the phone with Apple, 1 hour in a Store to be told by a Genius 'we don't have the expertise here it has to go away'. Wait for UPS to deliver packaging, send back. Apple support ran standard diagnostics. Didn't call me about fault and now it's back with the same problem. 
    gee that's funny, when my SO's watch needed to be sent in for repair they accepted it right at the Apple Store -- we didn't have to wait for UPS packaging to send it back in. why did you?
  • Reply 31 of 37

1983 said:
    not saying it's cheap, but the AW leather band is superb.

for reference, take a look at a high end store and see how much they charge for leather straps, wallets, etc... you'll feel better about yourself again. 
  • Reply 32 of 37
    komokomo Posts: 25member
    You got to be kidding $150 for a watch band!
    does Apple think everybody's a millionnaire to be able to buy a watch. You have lost many customers (I am one of them.)
  • Reply 33 of 37
    lukeilukei Posts: 379member
    lukei said:
    I'd rather they fixed the service proposition first. I have a faulty Watch. So far 3.5 hours on the phone with Apple, 1 hour in a Store to be told by a Genius 'we don't have the expertise here it has to go away'. Wait for UPS to deliver packaging, send back. Apple support ran standard diagnostics. Didn't call me about fault and now it's back with the same problem. 
    gee that's funny, when my SO's watch needed to be sent in for repair they accepted it right at the Apple Store -- we didn't have to wait for UPS packaging to send it back in. why did you?
    I'm not exactly laughing about it... They told me it would be quicker for me to do it via UPS. To be honest I think the UK staff aren't quite there yet on Apple Watch. 
  • Reply 34 of 37
    komo said:
    does Apple think everybody's a millionnaire to be able to buy a watch. You have lost many customers (I am one of them.)
    Why do I get the feeling you've never been an Apple customer. The ones that criticize always say they were fans. Anyway these rumored watch bands are coming from Coach not Apple. Apple can't tell Coach what to sell them for.
  • Reply 35 of 37
    A lot of really hateful remarks on this log directed at Apple with reason.

Any article here that covers watch band choices or device colors is an insult to the user base and apple insider should expect more vitriol.

How about Apple delivering something or at least communicating something that is in development to bring a real wow.  The secrecy thing isn't working. A simple conversation around something like:  Double service revenue in 2 years , triple in 3 would be appreciated.  How they get there (the real trade secret) doesn't need to be revealed.  Could be acquisitions, perhaps hurting margins but at least, some recognition that a change in approach to respond to innovation is happening. 

But that would probably not be possible with this current mis-managers.

• Reply 36 of 37
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    komo said:
    So because a 3rd party company (Coach) is selling an optional watch band (that is not required for said product, and multiple lower priced options exist) for a price that you think is too high, you will not buy Apple products?

Sounds logical...

Because some other companies sell expensive iPhone covers, I assume you also wouldn't buy an iPhone and would say that Apple is a greedy capitalist company?