Apple's Jony Ive previews The Met's 'Manus x Machina'

Posted:
in General Discussion
The Metropolitan Museum of Art's Costume Institute on Monday took the wraps off its 'Manus x Machina' exhibit -- the focal point of this year's Met Gala -- and Apple design chief Jony Ive was on hand for the introduction.

Via Jim Shi on twitter

"Our goal has always been to try to create objects as beautiful as they are functional," Ive told a group of assembled journalists. Ive is one of the Apple-sponsored fundraiser's four hosts, along with Vogue's Anna Wintour, pop megastar Taylor Swift, and actor Idris Elba.

The exhibit, curated by The Met's Andrew Bolton, is a celebration of fashion as a form of art and technological expression. It traces the progress of process and technology, and "explores how designers are reconciling the handmade and the machine-made," according to the museum.

Apple -- and Ive in particular -- have long touted the traditional foundations of many of their products and tried to impress upon the public that they are objects created by people, despite being crafted by machines.

According to fashion journalist Jim Shi, Ive will not be the only Apple executive in attendance at the gala -- chief executive Tim Cook is slated to join Wintour at her table.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    Why isn't he back in the labs giving me the product I want! Apple is doomed! /s
    quadra 610jony0cornchip
  • Reply 2 of 12
    sog35 said:
    My prediction for WWDC:

Apple will preview iPhone 7.
    It will be a totally new design.
    To be released in Early August.

Apple did this before with the MacPro a few years ago. Not a single leak about it.
    Apple did a preview of the Watch way before its release. They can do the same for iPhone.

Moving the release to August will bring an end to the 6s cycle faster. No reason to keep selling the 6s as the flagship for an extra month or two. Apple is overdue. Most smartphone makers are making new designs EVERY YEAR. Apple can no longer be on 2 year iPhone cycles. Next year we will see the iPhone 8 not an iPhone 7s. 
    News flash the Galaxy S6 and S7 look very similar. The HTC M7, 8 and 9 were also similar. Most aren't doing new designs every year. Most of them are all variations on a metal unibody. Big deal.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    Investing money in new production lines for new phone design every year is ridiculous. People don't upgrade their phone every year. The companies doing it either aren't selling in high volume or are doing it because they need the attention. Look at cars. Honda Civic doesn't have a radical new design every year. Apple's laptops and desktops have had a classic design for years and Apple is selling more Macs than they ever have. If iPhone is in trouble it's not because there's not a new case design every year. 

Btw, Tim Cook is also expected to be at the event tonight. Are people going to bitch about that too?
    edited May 2016 tmaynolamacguycornchip
  • Reply 4 of 12
    AI_liasAI_lias Posts: 434member
    The smartphones are mature enough to allow this: durable outer shell and screen design which transcends years, and does not have to be replaced. Inner guts (processor, camera, storage, etc.) which can be upgraded every one or two years. Think of the money saved and the resources not wasted each year. That would be something indeed very refreshing. And you could do the same with cars. Many car's bodies outlast their engines and electronics. I think Tesla could do this better than all others.
    A classic design should be as good as not to be changed every year. Sadly, the iPhone 6 design is not that. Maybe the iPhone 4 design language. 
    edited May 2016 tmaycornchip
  • Reply 5 of 12
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    sog35 said:
    So Ive has time to waste on this Bullshit and doesn't have time to give the iPhone 7 a new design (if the rumors are correct)?

He finished the design some time ago.
    retrogusto
  • Reply 6 of 12
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    sog35 said:
    There is at least another 5-7 years of phone innovation.

Zero bezel phones with software bezels and edge rejection.

i have no idea why i should give a shit about a zero-bezel phone. that doesnt offer any value to me.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    sog35 said:
    cnocbui said:
    He finished the design some time ago.
    really? 

Is your personal opinion the iPhone 7 will look almost the same as the 6?
    Yes - or do you think Apple can spec the parts, shell, etc without knowing what the final product is supposed to be?

I hope for Apple's sake it doesn't look like the leaked photos of the back and that it's the rumoured all glass with a curved screen now, not in 2018.

I don't think it will look like the 6.
    edited May 2016
  • Reply 8 of 12
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    AI_lias said:
    The smartphones are mature enough to allow this: durable outer shell and screen design which transcends years, and does not have to be replaced. Inner guts (processor, camera, storage, etc.) which can be upgraded every one or two years. Think of the money saved and the resources not wasted each year. That would be something indeed very refreshing. And you could do the same with cars. Many car's bodies outlast their engines and electronics. I think Tesla could do this better than all others.
    A classic design should be as good as not to be changed every year. Sadly, the iPhone 6 design is not that. Maybe the iPhone 4 design language. 
    That's pointless considering making the phone upgradeable will make it weaker, bigger, less waterproof and increase complexity of design and the logistics to get that all upgraded. If the could put the whole thing on a kind of Sim and just ram it in (like a SIM CARD), then maybe, but otherwise it won't happen. Seeing as we're not ready to get to this kind of thing, CPU/GPU on SIM, I think all will continue as it does now for the foreseeable future
  • Reply 9 of 12
    Tim and Jony, not too shabby in tuxes.

image image
  • Reply 10 of 12
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    Tim and Jony, not too shabby in tuxes.

Laurene looks pretty, classic and classy, too.
    badmonk
  • Reply 11 of 12
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    sog35 said:
    So Ive has time to waste on this Bullshit and doesn't have time to give the iPhone 7 a new design (if the rumors are correct)?

If the iPhone 7 has the same design as the iPhone 6 I'll probably sell all my Apple shares.
    That would beyond dumb/stupid/clueless to not change the design of the iPhone FOR THREE YEARS!!!! While Apple's competitors like Samsung/HTC/LG change their designs every year or twice a year.

I just hope the rumors by Klown Kuo are false and Apple unleashes a kick ass brand new iPhone 7 design in June at the WWDC.

I think Apple will do a 'sneak peak' of the iPhone 7 at WWDC in June. Just like they did for the MacPro a few years ago. That caught EVERYONE by surprise. Its strange because we have seen ZERO physical leaks of the iPhone 7. Even the iPhone 6 had physical leaks by March.  We are now in May.  Maybe Apple has planed a bunch of fake leaks (same design as iPhone6) but has something great hidden for WWDC.

WWDC would be the time to unveil also. Since for a Sept release they would need to start production in early July at the latest.
    John Scully, is that you?