Apple's Mac reaches 9.2% share on the web as Windows PC use sinks to new low

Posted:
in macOS
New data from Net Applications shows that Apple's installed base of Mac users now account for 9.2 percent of the conventional PCs used online, as Microsoft's Windows platform falls to a new low among online users.

On Sunday, the analytics firm reported, as noted by Patrick Seitz of Investors.com, that Microsoft's share of online users in April sunk below 90 percent for the first time.

The firm's historical data dates to November 2007, back when Macs represented just 3.4 percent of users on the web.

The increasing visibility of Macs online mirrors a nearly consistent quarterly rise in unit sales in the face of shrinking PC shipments as many users shift from conventional PCs to tablets and smartphones. Despite reporting Mac sales that were lower year-over-year, Apple noted that its market share still grew because the overall slowdown in generic PCs was much greater

For the quarter ending in March, despite reporting Mac sales that were lower year-over-year, Apple noted that its market share still grew because the overall slowdown in generic PCs was much greater.

Data from IDC had estimated that the overall industry had contracted by 11.5 percent in the March quarter, with the two leading PC makers, Lenovo and HP, each experiencing a drop of 8.5 and 10.8 percent of their respective shipments. In contrast, Apple was reported to have only seen a 2.1 percent drop in year over year sales volumes.

The PC industry collectively shipped 64.8 million units in the March 2016 quarter; those numbers haven't previously fallen below 65 million since 2007.

Apple's Mac market share gains in both quarterly sales and in the installed base on online users have come in parallel to the establishment of the company's iPad business, with both product lines focusing upon users' desire for mobility with models that feature more efficient battery life and thin and lightweight form factors.

Apple's new 12 inch MacBook is reportedly the company's best selling Mac model. The company has also worked to push enterprise adoption. In particularly, Apple's increasingly close enterprise partner IBM recently noted substantial support cost savings of $270 per user switched from a Windows PC to a Mac.

Microsoft Surface Pro 4 is failing to reverse Windows' market share slide

Microsoft has reacted to slowing PC sales--and the popularity of competitive tablets led by iPad--by introducing its own Surface line of hybrid PC hardware, which has attempted to divert interest in tablets back toward the conventional Windows PC desktop by adding touchscreen features and a tablet-like form factor.

However, Apple has countered Microsoft with its own high-end iPad Pro models, which leverage the power of the company's latest A9X Application Processors to reach competitive performance at a lower price.

The initial 12.9 inch iPad Pro immediately outsold all Surface shipments in the emerging "detachable" premium tablet market, both in the initial December launch quarter and in the subsequent March quarter--even before Apple began selling its even lower priced new 9.7 inch iPad Pro model.

Apple's chief executive Tim Cook noted in the company's March quarter earnings call that the company expects to see its best iPad revenue compares in over two years during the June quarter, attributed to demand for the new iPad Pro models.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 44
    bkkcanuckbkkcanuck Posts: 864member

Apple's new 12 inch MacBook is reportedly the company's best selling Mac model.

Blasts a hole in the argument some people have been making about it being a big mistake and no-one was using it....

When it first came out I mentioned in comments here I thought within a year it could very well become Apples best selling laptop...
    edited May 2016 levicalistevehjony0cornchipmagman1979chasmkevin keechia
  • Reply 2 of 44
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    bkkcanuck said:

Blasts a hole in the argument some people have been making about it being a big mistake and no-one was using it....

When it first came out I mentioned in comments here I thought within a year it could very well become Apples best selling laptop...
    Keep in mind who the critics are. They see themselves as the sole arbiters of what a laptop must be to suit their isolated views. They view themselves as superior to the average user and regularly make condescending statements about those users, calling them morons and idiots for buying Apple products like the Macbook and the Watch. But what’s with the sudden surge in Dilger cheerleading articles? Are Apple fans so insecure that they need help in keeping the faith? Are we not capable of seeing through the bullshit being spread around by analysts and naysayers? None of this has any effect on the Doomed™ meme. For example there’s an article on ZDnet by some tool predicting Apple could go bankrupt in months if China shuts down its factories. Why would China do that? Just for grins apparently.
    edited May 2016 lostkiwisingularitystevehjony0calinolamacguymagman1979kevin keechiabadmonk
  • Reply 3 of 44
    techlovertechlover Posts: 879member
    Microsoft is DOOMED!

Am I doing this right? I think I am doing this right.
    cnocbuipalominemacseekerjony0cornchipcaliquadra 610magman1979kevin keejbdragon
  • Reply 4 of 44
    iRikalIIiRikalII Posts: 2member
    MS Surface may seem like a natural for companies moving to newer systems but, where I have seen it implemented, it's nearly a disaster. 

Reboots, can't unlock, must be reloaded, exchange problems, the issues keep on piling. Enough to make me covet the laptop I use and not want to trade up. 

At home, I'll stick to my Apple products. 
    calimagman1979kevin kee
  • Reply 5 of 44
    Dude it is just because we are all wealthy maciacs, so stoked to surf the net all night and day while whiling our cares away.  Sic Transit GLoria Mundi & all that
  • Reply 6 of 44
    joshajosha Posts: 901member
    bkkcanuck said:

Only one frustrating thing has held me back from buying a lovely MacBook 12".
    That's the single external port, which I occasionally need for more than one function.   Of course that's IMPOSSIBLE, UGH!!!  :s
    baconstang
  • Reply 7 of 44
    iRikalII said:
    MS Surface may seem like a natural for companies moving to newer systems but, where I have seen it implemented, it's nearly a disaster. 

Reboots, can't unlock, must be reloaded, exchange problems, the issues keep on piling. Enough to make me covet the laptop I use and not want to trade up. 

At home, I'll stick to my Apple products. 
    Interesting brief comments by a Surface user.
    I'm interested in more details on your Surface negatives.
    Are what you mention bugs or just poorly designed function ?
  • Reply 8 of 44
    New data from Net Applications shows that Apple's installed base of Mac users now account for 9.2 percent of the conventional PCs used online, as Microsoft's Windows platform falls to a new low among online users.
    That's a very low percentage for Macs on the Internet, compared to what I see in coffee shops.
    I those shops I see well over 50% Macs;  like about 80% Macs.
    Among my Windows friends most now have at least an iPad and their Windows PC sits doing nothing in the corner.

That 90% non Mac percentage must be high on business PCs of all types including Linux, sitting on web sites all day.

jbishop1039cali
  • Reply 9 of 44
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    sog35 said:
    People have been talking about bringing OSX to the iPad for years.

But what if Apple did the exact OPPOSITE?

What if Apple brought iOS to the Mac?

MacMini with iOS
    A10 CPU - run alot faster and hotter than iPhone version
    4 GB RAM
    Wired Keyboard and Mouse
    $399

I think this would be a HUGE hit with kid's and older set who are very familiar with iOS and love its simple design. Many older people are flabbergasted with PC's even Macs. These iOS Macs would also automatically sync with their iPhones/iPads.  So all their photo's, Apps, emails, videos, and games will all be there. It would basically be a combination of the iPhone/AppleTV with a larger screen and keyboard/mouse support.

What would be the advantage of what you propose over an iPad?
  • Reply 10 of 44
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    No need to be on the defensive for one of the richest companies on the planet. Get some rest Dan.
    singularitytechlover
  • Reply 11 of 44
    palominepalomine Posts: 362member
    You know what? I'm thinking Apple has a messaging problem when they are COMPLETELY LEFT OUT OF THE DISCUSSION in tech.
    I mean, WTF?? The press, nearly all of it that I read-- and that's a lot of different kinds--they just ignore Apple like it was already dead and gone.

here is one example: http://www.wired.com/2016/04/openai-elon-musk-sam-altman-plan-to-set-artificial-intelligence-free/

I'm about to get on the "fire Cook" bandwagon.
    kevin kee
  • Reply 12 of 44
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    josha said:
    That's a very low percentage for Macs on the Internet, compared to what I see in coffee shops.
    I those shops I see well over 50% Macs;  like about 80% Macs.
    Among my Windows friends most now have at least an iPad and their Windows PC sits doing nothing in the corner.
    That 90% non Mac percentage must be high on business PCs of all types including Linux, sitting on web sites all day.
    I am sure it is changing in general, as Apple gets more push in enterprise from its partnerships, but our company is over 100,000 employees, and over 95% of those people use a Windows PC.  Macs are not officially allowed, but are unofficially tolerated (I use one...:).  I imagine many other enterprises are the same.

I agree that the consumer market is thus much higher % Mac - wonder if anyone has any stats on that.
  • Reply 13 of 44
    stevehsteveh Posts: 480member
    josha said:

That's the single external port, which I occasionally need for more than one function.   Of course that's IMPOSSIBLE, UGH!!!  :s
    Someone tell josha about USB-C adapters. Lots of them out there, including docking stations.

Even USB-C power pass-through to let him recharge the Macbook and connect something else at the same time.
    nolamacguypulseimages
  • Reply 14 of 44
    isteelersisteelers Posts: 738member
    josha said:
    bkkcanuck said:

The MacBook gets 9-10 hours battery life. If you need to plug an external drive or something you shouldn't have to worry about charging it. Even if it had to ports you would still have to buy either an adapter or some adapting cable to connect to the USB-c port if you had to use an external device.   It's made for those who need a wireless ultra portable, not one who connects a bunch of things to it. That's what the airs and the pros are for. 
    pulseimages
  • Reply 15 of 44
    stevehsteveh Posts: 480member

sog35 said:
    cnocbui said:
    What would be the advantage of what you propose over an iPad?
    Bigger screen (very important for seniors, many use 20-27 inch monitors).

This would be the ideal computer for a ton of seniors and non tech people.  Plus they won't have to worry about virus and other crap. 
    I'm a senior (how in the world did *that* happen?), I've got a 24" iMac. I spend most of my time in front of either a 13" screen (rMBP), or an iPad 1, a bit with an iPhone 5c. I've worn glasses for variably-severe myopia since I was 11 years old (and now close accommodation goes away, spoiling the party).

Portability trumps a bigger screen most of the time, especially if the smaller screen's sharpness, contrast, and resolution is good enough.
  • Reply 16 of 44
    wonkothesanewonkothesane Posts: 1,717member
    [...]
    [...]
    Surprising at first coming from reading all the views in forums. But then again showing how the "real world out there" and some "experts" disagree, and that Apple appears to have done it right once more. Good job, Apple.
    cornchip
  • Reply 17 of 44
    [...]
    [...]
    Surprising at first coming from reading all the views in forums. But then again showing how the "real world out there" and some "experts" disagree, and that Apple appears to have done it right once more. Good job, Apple.
    I have had one for a year - once you go to a 2 lb notebook there is no going back. I'd like another port but overall - the low weight is worth it. Any other large tasks need a big desktop  -this does everything else.

Oh on the surface pro note: my clinic runs 5 SP3s with no problems. Users love having stylus input for electronic charting, (they hardly ever use the mouse/trackpad).
  • Reply 18 of 44
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    bkkcanuck said:

Or perhaps there's a whole bunch of people extending the shelf life of their existing MBP's patiently waiting for new ones. 

• Reply 19 of 44
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,243member
    sog35 said:
    steveh said:

I'm a senior (how in the world did *that* happen?), I've got a 24" iMac. I spend most of my time in front of either a 13" screen (rMBP), or an iPad 1, a bit with an iPhone 5c. I've worn glasses for variably-severe myopia since I was 11 years old (and now close accommodation goes away, spoiling the party).

Portability trumps a bigger screen most of the time, especially if the smaller screen's sharpness, contrast, and resolution is good enough.
    but it seems like you are a very computer savy guy.

The Mac with iOS would be for people who are not computer savy, the average person.
    I don't think you give the average person enough credit. Computers in the home have been widespread and nearly ubiquitous for a couple of generations now. The kids of today have absolutely no problem navigating a file system. My 80 year old father uses his computer just fine, and he was never "computer savvy". 
    edited May 2016 baconstang
  • Reply 20 of 44
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,273member
    josha said:
    bkkcanuck said:

Not really. I don't own one (yet), but I've been observing users I spot "in the wild" very carefully. The main thing I've noticed: I've never seen one of them carry a plug, or plug in. One or two that I've chatted with said that they tended to charge it at night, *like an iPhone.* Consequently, that "one port" is always free during the day. For the most part, it stays free when I've observed them. I have seen people run an backup or dump a camera card using a USB-A adapter, but from what I can tell, the MacBook is a machine for "the cloud generation," for want of a better term. They don't plug stuff in other than power, pretty much, and don't have much call for that during the day, it would seem. There are clearly users for whom this wouldn't do, but people who criticise the MacBook are, IMHO, unimaginative -- not able to think outside their own old habits and workflow. I would be the same but for my wife, who rocks a MacBook Air and really only keeps a music library and photo library on her machine locally: everything else she does on her computer is cloud-based (if it needs saving at all) or stuff like Facebook, Messages/Facetime, surfing, online shopping. I think that's similar to most MacBook users, and so really the machine isn't so much a hobbled MacBook Pro as it is a machine well-suited to a certain class of user.
    cornchip