Apple CEO Tim Cook to appear on CNBC's 'Mad Money' Monday night

Posted:
in AAPL Investors
In a rare TV appearance, Apple CEO Tim Cook will take part in an interview on Monday night's episode of Mad Money with Jim Cramer on CNBC, scheduled for 6 p.m. Eastern.

From Cook's 2015 appearance on the show.
From Cook's 2015 appearance on the show.

Cook is expected to discuss a variety of topics, including Apple's prospects in China, services growth, and what might be next for products like the iPhone and the Apple Watch. Cramer should also raise the question of whether there are any acquisitions in the company's future.

The executive is unlikely to provide any direct answers on future products or takeovers, in keeping with Apple's normal policy of tight secrecy. Cook will, however, periodically tease directions the company might be headed in.

The CEO has appeared on Mad Money before, specifically in March 2015, when he called in to praise Cramer on the show's 10th anniversary. Cramer in turn lauded Apple, even calling it "the greatest company on Earth."

The tone could take a different turn tonight, given disappointing quarterly results announced last week. Though Cook suggested that such comparisons might be unfair, Apple nevertheless posted its first year-over-year decline in iPhone sales, watching revenue fall nearly $8 billion as well.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 33
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,949member
    … After phone call with sog35
    pscooter63staticx57SpamSandwich
  • Reply 2 of 33
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    sog35 said:
    Doubt this will help the stock price at all.

What will help is what happens at WWDC in June:

1. Early preview of iPhone 7 with all new design
    2. Release of new Apple desktops and All-in-ones that run iOS that start at $399
    3. MacOS update
    4. iOS 10 update
    5. Live TV package

Dude quit posting ridiculous stuff. 1, 2 and 5 aren't happening and you know it. Stay out of the stock and go follow some Chinese brand flavor of the month.
    bdkennedy1002nolamacguyfastasleep
  • Reply 3 of 33
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Dow closes up triple digits despite Apple's first 8-day losing streak since 1998!

It's a good thing that Tim Cook is putting himself out there and defending the stock!

Would you prefer that Apple remains silent and says nothing, which is what they usually do?

I think that Tim Cook's appearance can have a positive effect overall.  B)

palominecornchip
  • Reply 4 of 33
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    sog35 said:
    whine...whine...whine...
    Just.go.away.
    rogifan_newnolamacguy
  • Reply 5 of 33
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Damage control?
  • Reply 6 of 33
    LG just beat Apple to the punch with the fingerprint reader embedded under the screen.
    Really? What phone are they selling that has it?
    bdkennedy1002anantksundaram
  • Reply 7 of 33
    A couple years ago, I would have cared.
  • Reply 8 of 33
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    bdkennedy said:
    A couple years ago, I would have cared.
    Are you a shareholder? Because if you're not, then why should you care?
  • Reply 9 of 33
    lkrupp said:
    Damage control?
    He's in NYC for the Met Gala so why not? Btw Steve Jobs has been on CNBC before (not in person). I've seen video of it on YouTube.
  • Reply 10 of 33
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    It may just be an appearance to stop the sliding stock price.
  • Reply 11 of 33
    bela12bela12 Posts: 3member
    It is just so insane that Apple sits on billions in cash, the largest company pile ever, more than double it's closest competitor, yet the market sees fit to trade it with a PE of 10 and it keeps tanking, while companies like Amazon trade at a PE of 500 and their stock still keeps going up. It makes zero sense. 
    jdgazpalomine
  • Reply 12 of 33
    palominepalomine Posts: 362member
    The Street has the rest of this week to batter the stock down some more. Incredibly, there are people who expect it to go down to 56-75$. If the stock were at those levels the market is basically saying that Apple is worth only the cash it has in the bank, the enterprise itself is a big fat ZERO.  Really. How does this happen?

where is the SEC? Oh, that's right, busy. Can somebody tell me if the stock market can put a value out that is LESS than the cash minus loans Apple has?           Is that possible?        Something is rotten in Denmark.

I've been thinking that the company is so profitable that it is being smacked down "for its own good" or something...possibly some macroeconomic thing in the market that means AAPL must be kept down. Also it gets sold to shore up fund losses on speculation, knowing the company will likely keep right on trucking. Still, why the price is hammered so low I don't get.
     A lot of it is the click bait industry (it ain't journalism). It's obvious there is real hatred here.
    Maybe it's Steve Jobs fault for being so snide to analysts. But geez that was a long time ago.
    Actually, I think a lot of analysts and finance types don't get Apple because so much financial stuff is geared towards Windows, it's a different culture.

I keep hoping some firms would have motive to let the stock price rise a good bit higher, but it seems it is always suckered into yet another pump/dump scenario. These pump/dump events are happening more frequently, now we are up to what, 3 times a year? I am talking about times when after hitting a high the stock then drops 25-40%. Or are we now into a new roller coaster of every 2 months?

And you know what Tim Cook? I'm starting to like Apple just a little bit less myself after this baloney.

• Reply 13 of 33
    shahhet2shahhet2 Posts: 149member
    LG just beat Apple to the punch with the fingerprint reader embedded under the screen.
    Really? What phone are they selling that has it?
    They just showed prototype, not on any existing phone. Maybe 2016/2017 LG model.
    http://www.engadget.com/2016/05/02/lg-fingerprint-sensor-under-glass/
  • Reply 14 of 33
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    Cramer the Shamer.  That's what he is.

He was always entertaining to watch on TV.  I didn't really take anything he said seriously anyways.  However, anyone even remotely in the know, will remember the Jon Stewart battle-royale about how he not only was a phony (and many in Wall Street), but how he was also manipulating AAPL back in the day when he was coming up short.  

He lost any and all credibility with me, not that he had much left to lose.
    :neutral: 
    cornchippalomine
  • Reply 15 of 33
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    sog35 said:
    Doubt this will help the stock price at all.

What will help is what happens at WWDC in June:

1. Early preview of iPhone 7 with all new design
    2. Release of new Apple desktops and All-in-ones that run iOS that start at $399
    3. MacOS update
    4. iOS 10 update
    5. Live TV package

The economy is crashing hard and Apple is along for the ride. As such I really doubt here is much Apple can do right now to spur sales though I do believe the SE will soften things near term. Beyond that the economy could be rusher cold for the next few years if the political landscape doesn't change dramatically.
  • Reply 16 of 33
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    bela12 said:
    It is just so insane that Apple sits on billions in cash, the largest company pile ever, more than double it's closest competitor, yet the market sees fit to trade it with a PE of 10 and it keeps tanking, while companies like Amazon trade at a PE of 500 and their stock still keeps going up. It makes zero sense. 

They are perfectly aware of what happened to RIM, Motorola, Nokia and the like. I've been saying for months that Apple is grossly over priced and what we see now is the market agreeing. Apple is high risk in the minds of many investors. It really doesn't matter what we as Apple fans think, it is the history of the cell phone industry that spooks people.
    cornchip
  • Reply 17 of 33
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Cook said almost nothing -- in fact, nothing that I could discern -- that is new or different. For me, it had zero news content. 
  • Reply 18 of 33
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Cramer is one of the leading counter-indicators of investment strategies. Whatever he says, do the opposite.
  • Reply 19 of 33
    mj webmj web Posts: 918member
    A day late and a dollar short... Mr. Tim Cook.
  • Reply 20 of 33
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    bela12 said:
    PE ratios are mostly a function of expected future growth. Apple has to make a case for, and investors have to believe the case for, substantial future growth. There is no way around it.