Apple CEO Tim Cook to appear on CNBC's 'Mad Money' Monday night

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 33
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    wizard69 said:
    sog35 said:
    Doubt this will help the stock price at all.

What will help is what happens at WWDC in June:

1. Early preview of iPhone 7 with all new design
    2. Release of new Apple desktops and All-in-ones that run iOS that start at $399
    3. MacOS update
    4. iOS 10 update
    5. Live TV package

The economy is crashing hard and Apple ....
    What? Where? Did I miss it?
  • Reply 22 of 33
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    palomine said:
    The Street has the rest of this week to batter the stock down some more. Incredibly, there are people who expect it to go down to 56-75$. If the stock were at those levels the market is basically saying that Apple is worth only the cash it has in the bank, the enterprise itself is a big fat ZERO.  Really. How does this happen?

where is the SEC? Oh, that's right, busy. Can somebody tell me if the stock market can put a value out that is LESS than the cash minus loans Apple has?           Is that possible?        Something is rotten in Denmark.

I've been thinking that the company is so profitable that it is being smacked down "for its own good" or something...possibly some macroeconomic thing in the market that means AAPL must be kept down. Also it gets sold to shore up fund losses on speculation, knowing the company will likely keep right on trucking. Still, why the price is hammered so low I don't get.
     A lot of it is the click bait industry (it ain't journalism). It's obvious there is real hatred here.
    Maybe it's Steve Jobs fault for being so snide to analysts. But geez that was a long time ago.
    Actually, I think a lot of analysts and finance types don't get Apple because so much financial stuff is geared towards Windows, it's a different culture.

I keep hoping some firms would have motive to let the stock price rise a good bit higher, but it seems it is always suckered into yet another pump/dump scenario. These pump/dump events are happening more frequently, now we are up to what, 3 times a year? I am talking about times when after hitting a high the stock then drops 25-40%. Or are we now into a new roller coaster of every 2 months?

And you know what Tim Cook? I'm starting to like Apple just a little bit less myself after this baloney.

I'm not sure why you think something odd is going on here. Apple price simply didn't make sense to investors considering the high risks associated with the cell phone market. The stock isn't getting battered, rather the price has become more rational especially considering the bleak state of the economy. It is a correction that most certainly would have happened sooner or later. In other words it is completely possible in the minds of investors that the market for iPhones could crash so hard that the value of the company is simply cash on hand. You as a user or even as an investor and stock advocate might not see this but you need to understand the mindset of dispassionate investors that have seen ugly things happen in the world of cell phones.
    cornchip
  • Reply 23 of 33
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    wizard69 said:
    The economy is crashing hard and Apple ....

Come on now, read the paper or spend some time on the net parsing the news. A lot of large capital equipment manufactures are laying off big time. You likely have heard of Intel but Caterpillar has payed off huge numbers of employees recently. So have others and more importantly the market for capital equipment is soft, this is a very good indicator of an economy going south. There are other factors to consider also but many economist have been forecasting a recession this year or early next. Because of Apples product mix they are more exposed to the ravages of a downturn than anytime in the companies history. I'm really surprised that nobody in this forum sees product mix as an issue. If iPhone sales drop by 50% Apple will be on hard times a bad economy will undermine all those nice web services also. All of a sudden no bread and butter for Apple.
  • Reply 24 of 33
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member
    LG just beat Apple to the punch with the fingerprint reader embedded under the screen.
    It's not under the screen. It's under the glass.
    Hey, guess where Apple's fingerprint reader is; it's under the glass too.
    As long as a phone still uses some kind of a 'thumb-button' for any other 'button-clicking' feature, why not put the fingerprint reader under 'that' glass? What? you want to put it under glass somewhere 'else' on the screen so that you can go back and forth between putting your thumb on a special 'print-reader' area, and then move your thumb over to the button area for performing button actions?
    edited May 2016 ration al
  • Reply 25 of 33
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member
    Cramer is one of the leading counter-indicators of investment strategies. Whatever he says, do the opposite.
    Aaaand tiredest meme of the day goes to...
    cornchip
  • Reply 26 of 33
    wizard69 said:

Come on now, read the paper or spend some time on the net parsing the news. A lot of large capital equipment manufactures are laying off big time. You likely have heard of Intel but Caterpillar has payed off huge numbers of employees recently. So have others and more importantly the market for capital equipment is soft, this is a very good indicator of an economy going south. There are other factors to consider also but many economist have been forecasting a recession this year or early next. Because of Apples product mix they are more exposed to the ravages of a downturn than anytime in the companies history. I'm really surprised that nobody in this forum sees product mix as an issue. If iPhone sales drop by 50% Apple will be on hard times a bad economy will undermine all those nice web services also. All of a sudden no bread and butter for Apple.
    No, you read the papers. Your post is delusional. 
    palomine
  • Reply 27 of 33
    Cramer is one of the leading counter-indicators of investment strategies. Whatever he says, do the opposite.
    His current favorite saying re AAPL is, "it's a stock to own, not trade."

So, will you be selling yours (or advising others to do so)?
    palomine
  • Reply 28 of 33
    designr said:
    No, you read the papers. Your post is delusional. 
    Do you care to elaborate on the delusions you see in his post or simply toss out an insult and move on?
    Sure. When you point me to ONE credible news source that tells you (or me) -- as he boldly proclaimed -- "The economy is crashing hard and Apple is along for the ride."

Actually, I'll happily settle for any evidence for even just the "economy is crashing hard" part. 
    ration alcornchippalomine
  • Reply 29 of 33
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    shahhet2 said:
    Really? What phone are they selling that has it?
    They just showed prototype, not on any existing phone. Maybe 2016/2017 LG model.
    http://www.engadget.com/2016/05/02/lg-fingerprint-sensor-under-glass/
    So, a lot of blah blah, blah. Maybe this, Maybe that in the future I'm sure they'll have a herd of Unicorn too, like Google.

So, if Apple actually releases one before LG, I'm guessing you eat your words hey.

After this big fracking declaration of yours "LG beats Apple", that seems only fair.
    anantksundaram
  • Reply 30 of 33
    bkkcanuckbkkcanuck Posts: 864member
    Apple will never do a preview of an iPhone coming in the fall because the ONLY thing that serves to do is to REDUCE current sales and then if the phone comes out and they had to change something in the final revision.... they get pounded in the press for vapourware.....
  • Reply 31 of 33
    beltsbearbeltsbear Posts: 314member
    No, actually the whole Chinese media thing works out quite well for Apple. Nobody is certain, and it does not slow existing sales much. If you show ANYTHING tantalizing in the main stream media sales of the current devices will slow down. Trust me, Apple knows what it is doing here.
  • Reply 32 of 33
    bela12bela12 Posts: 3member
    So where is Apple car in all this? Agreed, many of the upcoming previews look like minor tweaks to the system and that iPhone/iPad is running out of meaningful upgrades that can move the needle. But if there's one thing on the horizon that has the potential to be a society-changing, sea change, 'one more thing', I would think it's whoever gets to a self driving electric car first, and does it right. Tesla looks like stiff competition here, but then again Apple has more cash and potential resources. Thoughts?