Apple reportedly increases iPhone SE chip orders amid greater-than-expected demand

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 34
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    schlack said:
    how did apple get blindsided by this demand? so obvious that many iPhone users don't want a large iPhone and were holding onto their old phones for this reason. i have an iPhone 6 but i'm looking forward to returning to the smaller form factor on my next upgrade cycle. they need a 128GB version at $599. don't want to give up my 128GB storage.
    Because they listened to the cacophony of faux techies claiming small was out and big was in. In short, they panicked a little when big phones got more popular.
  • Reply 22 of 34
    spacekidspacekid Posts: 183member
    wood1208 said:
    No wonder demand is so high. iphone SE has everything anyone wants in smaller phone, In fact, 4 out 5 iphone users in my own family about to upgrade from their 4S(2)/5(1)/5S(1) to SE.
    But some have reported that sales have been lackluster. Wonder if Apple didn't set production high enough. Sounds like they're increasing the production rate up now though.
  • Reply 23 of 34
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    spacekid said:
    wood1208 said:
    No wonder demand is so high. iphone SE has everything anyone wants in smaller phone, In fact, 4 out 5 iphone users in my own family about to upgrade from their 4S(2)/5(1)/5S(1) to SE.
    But some have reported that sales have been lackluster. Wonder if Apple didn't set production high enough. Sounds like they're increasing the production rate up now though.
    Sales are lackluster.  Because there is no supply? 
  • Reply 24 of 34
    I was able to snag one at my Apple Store last night. It is not a low end iPhone. As a matter of fact, it makes the iPhone 6 look low end.

This is a classic design Apple shouldn't abandon and the sales numbers prove it.
    teaearlegreyhotcalipscooter63mr o
  • Reply 25 of 34
    teaearlegreyhotteaearlegreyhot Posts: 1,002member
    I strongly suspect the $399 price is a big factor in its popularity.  I'm almost ready to ditch my iP5 for the SE, solely to gain biometric sensor and faster chip.  Almost.  But not quite.  ;)
  • Reply 26 of 34
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    cropr said:
    sog35 said:
    Bingo.

Same can be said about the iPad Pro (techies say it can't possibily replace people's laptops)

Bottom line is portability is extremely important for the majority of users. And the SE is more portable than the 6. 

I really hope Apple decides to release a top tier 4 inch iPhone 7 in September. 

Nice that the iPhone 5SE is getting traction in the market.  There is definitely a market for a full featured 4" phone.
    However, I would not make the link to the iPad Pro, as it could not stop the decline of the iPad product line.  For Apple this can only be a failure,  anyway you look at it.
    Can we drop "5SE" already!!??
    It was a dumb name and was never gonna happen.
  • Reply 27 of 34
    pscooter63pscooter63 Posts: 1,080member
    bdkennedy said:
    I was able to snag one at my Apple Store last night. It is not a low end iPhone. As a matter of fact, it makes the iPhone 6 look low end.

This is a classic design Apple shouldn't abandon and the sales numbers prove it.
    Agree 100% with all your points, from personal experience no less. 
  • Reply 28 of 34
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    bdkennedy said:

An all glass back panel, like the iPhone 4S, would top it.

There's also something to be said about the unapologetic nature of the iPhone 5C. I actually preferred its smooth edges and bright colours to the 5S. Have this with 6S internals, and it is a whole different game, like the SE is showing us right now.

>:x
    AI_lias
  • Reply 29 of 34
    sdbryansdbryan Posts: 351member
    bdkennedy said:

Yes, the description in the article of the iPhone SE as "low end" is nonsense. It is lower priced (not low price) but you still get current generation tech and compatibility. There is room for improvement in the screen and camera (from what I have read) and having purchased the 64GB model I would have preferred to buy 128GB if it were available. I waited out two years of larger phones and was about to cave when the rumors turned favorable. I am glad I waited.
  • Reply 30 of 34
    davidmalcolmdavidmalcolm Posts: 384member
    I love my SE, can't imagine going back to a giant phone again. I really loathed the size of my 6. I won't mind if they keep the 4 inch iPhone updated 6 months after the bigger ones.
    pscooter63
  • Reply 31 of 34
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    lkrupp said:
    If true just one more nail in the coffin of the so-called techies who think they know what the public wants. How many times were we lambasted with ‘techies’ claiming everybody wanted big phones? Same goes for trashing the Macbook for not having every port imaginable. Turns out the poor little, inadequate thing may be the best selling Mac out there.

I didn't think it was "techies" who said people wanted a bigger iPhone. As I recall the main argument was that people were buying Android phones instead because they wanted a bigger phone. So it was really more the business and financial types that were saying that was what the public wants.
  • Reply 32 of 34
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Nobody buys Iphones anymore... cause they're all sold out... (A Yogi Berra quote changed a bit).

• Reply 33 of 34
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    AI_lias said:
    Here's to hoping that Apple will go back to a slab phone like the SE. iPhone 6 is the worst design. We'll it's a good design if you are invested in Apple and think of their screen replacement business. Other than that, very impractical, slippery and fragile, and looks bad, too.
    If they drop the headphone jack, sales of the SE will go up in sept.