Apple CEO Tim Cook calls doom and gloom 'huge overreaction,' turns sights to India

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 77
    mj webmj web Posts: 918member
    Tim Cook's answers looked and sounded constipated. Why innovate or create new products and/or categories when you can tie all your eggs to China? How's that working, Tim? Did you forget America and the rest of the world? What's that you say? India is the cure to Apple's expansion woes, now? Another unicorn to tie your ship to? Where Jimmy Iovine? What's Jony Ive, Angela, Dr Dre, and Anand doing these days? If they/you/Apple aren't capable of creating compelling new products anymore, at least buy a great brand or company. I'm sick of hearing how I can't live without the Watch. I AM! Or Apple Music. I AM! Ever since Apple began distributing freebee OSes the quality sucks and it's fraught with bugs. How about some decent dividends while Apple is stalled? Or at least hunt for a CEO with some real Apple blood pulsing through their veins so we can replace you, Tim! 
    edited May 2016 ac1234
  • Reply 62 of 77
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    mj web said:
    Tim Cook's answers looked and sounded constipated.
    Your response looks and sounds like you have the opposite problem.

focherrogifan_new
  • Reply 63 of 77
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,699member
    sog35 said:
    mj web said:
    Tim Cook's answers looked and sounded constipated. Why innovate or create new products and/or categories when you can tie all your eggs to China? How's that working, Tim? Did you forget America and the rest of the world? What's that you say? India is the cure to Apple's expansion woes, now? Another unicorn to tie your ship to? Where Jimmy Iovine? What's Jony Ive, Angela, Dr Dre, and Anand doing these days? If they/you/Apple aren't capable of creating compelling new products anymore, at least buy a great brand or company. I'm sick of hearing how I can't live without the Watch. I AM! Or Apple Music. I AM! Ever since Apple began distributing freebee OSes the quality sucks and it's fraught with bugs. How about some decent dividends while Apple is stalled? Or at least hunt for a CEO with some real Apple blood pulsing through their veins so we can replace you, Tim! 
    And yet Apple revenue is up over $100 billion a year since Tim Cook became CEO.

And yet iPhone units have DOUBLED since Tim Cook became CEO 5 years ago.

And yet Apple profits went from $20 billion in 2011 to $53 billion in 2015.

You act like Jobs created a game changer every year. Bull.

Jobs created the iPod in 2001. The next big innovation did not come till iPhone in 2007.  Even the iPad was not really a big innovation but really just a bigger form factor.  So Jobs had 2 really big innovated products in 15 years.

Cook has been charge the last 4 years and he already brought the Apple Watch. It will change the world of computing.
    Three if you count the iMac
  • Reply 64 of 77
    focherfocher Posts: 687member
    gatorguy said:
    56 comments so far and not a single one about Mr. Cook's "turning his sights to India", which he's brought up a few times recently? Ok then, apparently no one is putting much stock in what Mr Cook has to say? 
    When it comes to growth for existing products, he's very correct about India. Personally, I don't think people who have already internally decided the Apple narrative care what he says. To the question of "where will growth come from" - which he only talks about for existing product categories like the smartphone (he explicitly calls out that smartphone penetration of only 40% globally too). He's not going to talk about what else they're working on ... because that's what Steve Jobs not only would do, but did.
  • Reply 65 of 77
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    sog35 said:
    The iMac is not a big innovation. It did not change the world of computing at all.

it was just a computer/monitor in a nice package.
    It is not true.  The iMac legitimized USB and make it hugely successful in the PC word.  The iMac utilized wifi first.  Wifi took off because of iMac.  
  • Reply 66 of 77
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    sog35 said:
    So there is no growth prospects for Apple?

IN THE NEXT 5 YEARS OVER 2.5 BILLION PEOPLE WILL BUY THEIR FIRST SMARTPHONE. 

TWO AND A HALF BILLION PEOPLE.
    The cream has been consumed - relatively wealthy consumers who can afford iPhone prices.  Those 2.5 B people will most likely be looking at phones costing $150 or less.
    jonl
  • Reply 67 of 77
    cnocbui said:
    sog35 said:

The cream has been consumed - relatively wealthy consumers who can afford iPhone prices.  Those 2.5 B people will most likely be looking at phones costing $150 or less.
    You just prove my point that no one even bothers to listen to what Tim Cook says when they've already written the narrative in their head. Just in China alone, the middle class is predicted to go from 50 million to 500 million in the next 5 years. That's 450 new middle class consumers, and in a market where luxury brands do exceptionally well. Will cheaper phones also do well? Yep. But that still leaves the top 20% of the 450 million new consumers as buyers of iPhones and other Apple products.
  • Reply 68 of 77
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member
    focher said:
    cnocbui said:
    sog35 said:

You just prove my point that no one even bothers to listen to what Tim Cook says when they've already written the narrative in their head. Just in China alone, the middle class is predicted to go from 50 million to 500 million in the next 5 years. That's 450 new middle class consumers, and in a market where luxury brands do exceptionally well. Will cheaper phones also do well? Yep. But that still leaves the top 20% of the 450 million new consumers as buyers of iPhones and other Apple products.
    I'm not finding that prediction of another half-billion Chinese joining the middle-class ranks by 2020. What was the source as I would like to read it?

There's also a very recent article linked here discussing Chinese spending and the middle-class.
    http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-03-09/here-s-what-china-s-middle-class-really-earn-and-spend
    edited May 2016
  • Reply 69 of 77
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,699member
    sog35 said:
    The iMac is not a big innovation. It did not change the world of computing at all.

After the return of SJ in 1997, the iMac was the first product that brought Apple back from the dead, so to speak, and on the road to being profitable. After the iMac, the iPod is the first product that really brought Apple into mainstream consciousness.
    propod
  • Reply 70 of 77
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    Personally I would like to see Apple do hardware as a service. Have the iPhone upgrade model across all products. Let people "rent" hardware and trade it in for new hardware and the trade-ins can be refurbished and re-sold. I would have no problem paying Apple a monthly fee for my iPhone, iPad, Apple TV, Apple Watch and any services I have. Why is only software considered subscription worthy?
  • Reply 71 of 77
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    mj web said:
    3-4 years ago everyone was bagging on Apple because of their low penetration in China. Now people are doing the same but claiming Apple is to overexposed in China. Wtf. 
  • Reply 72 of 77
    sog35 said:

Hold your horses right there, buddy. The iMac was a HUGE game changer! Your typical PC/Mac had many cords, involved multiple cards, and devices running on legacy (even at that time) technology. The iMac brought about a form factor that involved a three step process to get it up and running: Plug the machine into the wall, plug in the keyboard and mouse with a simple plug (USB), and plug in your phone line into the machine. It was so stupidly simple, and it was so very colorful. It included a CD-ROM, and a large (at the time) hard drive. It was something that changed the consumer electronics market as a whole. From radios, to telephones (wireless and wall), to calculators; the design patterns shifted almost over night. That is something that defines a "revolutionary" product.

The iPod was another revolutionary product, as was the iPhone. Again, these changed the world of consumer electronics as a whole! The iPod became the defacto standard as to what a music player is. Almost to the point people mention Kleenex as the general product to tissue paper, that is what the iPod became. And the iPhone is the same thing when it comes to the cell phone. It was the first to offer the actual Internet in your pocket, and the moment that happened, everyone and their brother scrambled to get their phones to act and behave that way.

Now, as for Tim Cook, he has been doing great. Yes, the Apple Watch is revolutionary, but I think that is in the operating system mores than the technology (although having ApplePay on your wrist is cool). I think the Apple TV has the potential to be that revolutionary product. I think that if the Apple Car is a reality, and depending on what it does well, could also be revolutionary.

What the problem here is that Wall Street has no desire to listen or to look at reality at all. They like to manipulate the market to further their own ends. That is why they are down on Apple, they are hoping to help themselves out (make Apple price soft so they can buy it all up). This last bit does seem very "tin foil hat"-ish, but if you look at the past recession and the DotCom burst, and really look at the reality of what happened, it followed this pattern: Wall Street declared it feared it was going to happen, then a bunch of people starting spreading a bunch of FUD that it would happen any day now, and then it DID happen when the only real evidence of it possibly happening was Wall Street's guidance.
    edited May 2016 propod
  • Reply 73 of 77
    knowitallknowitall Posts: 1,648member
    Excellent performance of Mr Cook.

• Reply 74 of 77
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    sog35 said:
    tzeshan said:
    It is not true.  The iMac legitimized USB and make it hugely successful in the PC word.  The iMac utilized wifi first.  Wifi took off because of iMac.  
    Those are big steps but still the iMac did not change the world.

iPod and iPhone did.

Watch probably will too.

Don't get me wrong the iMac was a great advancement just like the iPad. But neither changed the world.
    Read Eggleston's post above. You lose this argument. 

Another huge way the iMac changed the world is that it showed that good design was as important as technology in making and selling computers.

"Yes, absolutely, I think that computers can be sexy," said Jony Ive. Apple has owned the industry with that strategy ever since.
    propod
  • Reply 75 of 77
    gatorguy said:
    focher said:
    I'm not finding that prediction of another half-billion Chinese joining the middle-class ranks by 2020. What was the source as I would like to read it?

There's also a very recent article linked here discussing Chinese spending and the middle-class.
    http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-03-09/here-s-what-china-s-middle-class-really-earn-and-spend
    That was cited by Tim Cook during the interview with Jim Cramer. A transcript can be found at http://www.loopinsight.com/2016/05/02/transcript-of-tim-cooks-interview-on-cnbc/

Granted, that's not a fact checked assertion but it seems rather unlikely that Cook would lie about Apple's forecast of a market opportunity.
  • Reply 76 of 77
    ac1234ac1234 Posts: 138member
    sog35 said:
    mj web said:
    And yet Apple revenue is up over $100 billion a year since Tim Cook became CEO.

And yet iPhone units have DOUBLED since Tim Cook became CEO 5 years ago.

And yet Apple profits went from $20 billion in 2011 to $53 billion in 2015.

You act like Jobs created a game changer every year. Bull.

Jobs created the iPod in 2001. The next big innovation did not come till iPhone in 2007.  Even the iPad was not really a big innovation but really just a bigger form factor.  So Jobs had 2 really big innovated products in 15 years.

Cook has been charge the last 4 years and he already brought the Apple Watch. It will change the world of computing.
    You are so wrong about 2 products - iTunes, as an example, was an industry game changer.