Apple Pay picks up over 20 more US banks including Texas' Moody National

Posted:
in iPhone
Apple on Tuesday updated the roster of U.S. banks supporting Apple Pay with 26 new entries, such as Moody National Bank, one of the biggest headquartered in Texas with branches in Houston, Galveston, and Austin.

The other additions are likewise regional or segmented, sometimes limited to a single state or city. Most national institutions have been onboard since early 2015, and several were quick to join when Apple Pay launched in the fall of 2014.

Since then the mobile payment platform has come to Australia, Canada, the U.K., and Singapore. Only the U.S. and the U.K. have any widespread card support, however. Earlier today in fact U.K. Apple Pay users gained access to Boon, a prepaid option from Wirecard.

The full list of new U.S. banks includes:

• Arsenal Credit Union
  • Bank Midwest
  • Bank of Canton
  • Bank SNB
  • Bankers' Bank
  • Bremer Bank N.A.
  • Bruning State Bank
  • Citizens Bank of Cumberland County
  • Fairfield County Bank
  • Family Horizons Credit Union
  • Firefighters First Credit Union
  • First National Bank Arcadia
  • First National Bank in Staunton
  • Fort Sill Federal Credit Union
  • HawaiiUSA Federal Credit Union
  • IAA Credit Union
  • Moody National Bank
  • North East Texas Credit Union
  • Northbrook Bank & Trust Company
  • Northern United Federal Credit Union
  • Peoples State Bank of Munising
  • Redwood Capital Bank
  • Rogue Credit Union
  • Sierra Central Credit Union
  • TriStar Bank
  • Vermilion Bank

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    dayedaye Posts: 18member
    It really doesn't matter about how many banks are included in Apple Pay, It really matters now about how many retailers can accept Apple Pay. When Apple was first introduced. I can use it on HomeDepot and yesterday I went there to pick up something and found out that HomeDepot is no longer accepting it. There is only one gas station in my area now takes Apple Pay. 

How about the using Apple Pay at banks ATM machines?

Too few retailers are accepting Apple pay now. That is the problem.
    bobschlob
  • Reply 2 of 7
    stompystompy Posts: 408member
    daye said:
    It really doesn't matter about how many banks are included in Apple Pay, It really matters now about how many retailers can accept Apple Pay. When Apple was first introduced. I can use it on HomeDepot and yesterday I went there to pick up something and found out that HomeDepot is no longer accepting it. There is only one gas station in my area now takes Apple Pay. 

On the flip side, if your bank isn't on the list, it doesn't matter (to you) how many retailers can accept Apple Pay. Ask Canadians/Australians/New Zealanders/etc.

Home Depot disabled NFC in May 2015, ironically enough, a day or so prior to announcing 'official' support for Apple Pay. While virtually every retailer has been agonizingly slow to update their systems, gas stations will be among the slowest since the liability shift for pay-at-the-pump transactions doesn't begin until October 2017.

edited May 2016 lostkiwi
  • Reply 3 of 7
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    stompy said:
    daye said:

On the flip side, if your bank isn't on the list, it doesn't matter (to you) how many retailers can accept Apple Pay. Ask Canadians/Australians/New Zealanders/etc.

Home Depot disabled NFC in May 2015, ironically enough, a day or so prior to announcing 'official' support for Apple Pay. While virtually every retailer has been agonizingly slow to update their systems, gas stations will be among the slowest since the liability shift for pay-at-the-pump transactions doesn't begin until October 2017.

Raley's Supermarket just started accepting Apple Pay a couple weeks ago. It's worked for me at Mountain Mikes Pizza and Round Table Pizza. Food-4-Less, Subway, and other places. Home Depot worked early on and then they disabled support and then later said Apple pay Support was coming. Why still no support yet? The list of places is growing. I just look for the NFC symbol and give it a try.
    lostkiwi
  • Reply 4 of 7
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member
    It doesn't help matters, either, that Apple put an older slower print reader into their latest phone release. This only hurts Apple.
    I know many less-than-savy iPhone owners who tried ApplePay and had a problem, and now don't want to try to use it (embarrassment, etc).
    Continuing to use older generation print readers is of no help in moving ApplePay forward (i.e. "best experience")
  • Reply 5 of 7
    chiachia Posts: 713member
    daye said:
    It really doesn't matter about how many banks are included in Apple Pay, It really matters now about how many retailers can accept Apple Pay. 

I don't understand why there appears to be a desire within corporations and institutions in the USA to overly complicate things.

Just look at Apple Pay in the UK, Apple Pay can be used at any card terminal that accepts the relevant contactless cards, what you refer to in the USA as NFC terminals, even if the merchant isn't officially signed up for Apple Pay.  It just means that your Apple Pay payment is limited to the contactless card limit of thirty pounds.
    lostkiwi
  • Reply 6 of 7
    kent909kent909 Posts: 731member
    chia said:
    daye said:
    It really doesn't matter about how many banks are included in Apple Pay, It really matters now about how many retailers can accept Apple Pay. 

I don't understand why there appears to be a desire within corporations and institutions in the USA to overly complicate things.

Just look at Apple Pay in the UK, Apple Pay can be used at any card terminal that accepts the relevant contactless cards, what you refer to in the USA as NFC terminals, even if the merchant isn't officially signed up for Apple Pay.  It just means that your Apple Pay payment is limited to the contactless card limit of thirty pounds.
    Another thing we have to deal with is the ignorance within corporations. Last January I was in my bank and I asked them when they would be offering support for Apple Pay. Nobody at that time even knew what Apple Pay was. In March they said it was coming early this year. Today my bank showed up on this list. I added my debit card and was prompted to contact my bank for verification. I called to do so and was told it would be another two weeks before it would be available. I told her that the world had been told that it was ready  and that I was able in set up my card etc. She seemed surprised and put me on hold and came back and said once again that it was in the testing phase and to try again in two weeks. Maybe it is not such a good idea to do this while so many people are ignorant of what is going on. I have never been to the UK so I cannot speak to why it is better there,  but the impression I get from American corporations for the reason to implement new technology or to complicate things is as follows.
    1. Will we make more money if we do.
    1a. How much money will we make.
    1b. Will I get a big bonus if I support this.
    1c Will we make more money if we don't do this.
    1d. What could we do differently that would make us more money.
    1e. Let's find a way to not do this and make more money.
    1f. Money, money, money.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    kent909 said:
    chia said:

Another thing we have to deal with is the ignorance within corporations. Last January I was in my bank and I asked them when they would be offering support for Apple Pay. Nobody at that time even knew what Apple Pay was. In March they said it was coming early this year. Today my bank showed up on this list. I added my debit card and was prompted to contact my bank for verification. I called to do so and was told it would be another two weeks before it would be available. I told her that the world had been told that it was ready  and that I was able in set up my card etc. She seemed surprised and put me on hold and came back and said once again that it was in the testing phase and to try again in two weeks. Maybe it is not such a good idea to do this while so many people are ignorant of what is going on. I have never been to the UK so I cannot speak to why it is better there,  but the impression I get from American corporations for the reason to implement new technology or to complicate things is as follows.
    1. Will we make more money if we do.
    1a. How much money will we make.
    1b. Will I get a big bonus if I support this.
    1c Will we make more money if we don't do this.
    1d. What could we do differently that would make us more money.
    1e. Let's find a way to not do this and make more money.
    1f. Money, money, money.
    Change just takes time. We in the U.S. were ahead of the game then the rest of the world, but with this older tech, by the time many places in the rest of the world were catching up, it was with the newer tech. Trying to change things after the whole system is built is hard and costs money. Part of why business are dragging their feet is because they can't track your credit card. So now you get into the whole loyalty cards using Apple Pay.