Apple Music UI to go grayscale, add better support for lyrics - report

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
Apple is said to be working on a vast overhaul of its up-and-coming music streaming service, one that will reportedly include a new monochromatic user interface and a streamlined experience for users who prefer to read lyrics.

The company is said to have chosen a black-and-white color scheme for the application's controls and framework, moving away from the more playful design that includes heavy use of color and translucency, according to 9to5Mac. This would be a big step for Apple, as it would represent a fundamental departure from the "adaptive" design language introduced with iOS 7.

Apple won't eschew color entirely, however, opting to make album art a larger and overall more impactful part of the experience.

Discoverability is believed to be a primary goal for Apple, and in that vein the company is thought to be planning major updates for the "For You" and "New" tabs. In the latter's case, those changes will likely include a name change -- to "Browse" -- and a new information architecture to make it easier to find various functions.

Also said to be part of the revamp is a wider application of Apple's San Francisco font. The in-house typeface will play a bigger role in defining hierarchy and navigation.

In addition to the visual overhaul, Apple is expected to reveal an expansion to its Beats 1 streaming radio service at its Worldwide Developers Conference next month. The new design and functionality could be propped up by a "marketing blitz" designed to accelerate Apple Music's already impressive growth.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 41
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    All these reports are making a big deal about Apple Music like it's a new iPhone or iOS release. Can't wait. 
    levi
  • Reply 2 of 41
    NY1822NY1822 Posts: 621member
    Instagram just went black and white also...must be the new thing...everyone will follow apple now 
  • Reply 3 of 41
    wonkothesanewonkothesane Posts: 1,723member
    NY1822 said:
    Instagram just went black and white also...must be the new thing...everyone will follow apple now 
    I think this site was first to go b&w - everyone is following appleinsider  

on a on a more serious note: what is meant by more grey/less color? Replacing the red by grey? I hope they keep the way how the artwork spawns the background and font colors.  

Edit: ah, according to 9to5 this is exactly part of the plan.  Pity. 
    edited May 2016 cali
  • Reply 4 of 41
    antonpabloantonpablo Posts: 90member
    NY1822 said:
    Once you go black, you'll never go back.
  • Reply 5 of 41
    antonpabloantonpablo Posts: 90member
    I liked the original Beats music app UI..

If they don't make any updates on Connect they should just get it rid of it. There's nothing social about it whatsoever.
    edited May 2016 calipatchythepirateireland
  • Reply 6 of 41
    cassherncasshern Posts: 10member
    I liked the original Beats music app UI..

If they don't make any updates on Connect they should just get it rid of it. There's nothing social about it whatsoever.
    Absolutely.

Connect is useless.

They should focus on it being fast and easy. Make me feel I have easy control over my music. Make it simple and magical as the first iPod was.

Streaming services try too much.

I need a recently played history, to go back to what I've been listening lately. Quick access to search (a search that "knows what I mean"). Easy add/delete artists/songs/albums. Clear UI. Big play/pause button. Big scrub.
    calipropodirelandbadmonk
  • Reply 7 of 41
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,707member
    About time. 

Its like Apple let the Beats people dictate the Music direction to Apple instead of vice versa. 

Apple is the gold standard for UI/UX. 

MAKE beats sit in the corner and think about what it's done. 

And be give us back the clean and easy to use UI that wasn't broken to begin with. 
    patchythepirateirelandbadmonk
  • Reply 8 of 41
    larz2112larz2112 Posts: 291member
    Over the past few years, with both iOS and Mac OS X the UI design has slowly but surely been getting worse. Things that used to be intuitive are no longer such. Things that used to take two clicks now take two clicks, a scroll, and one more click, etc. I'm sure there are some that love the latest UIs compared to previous, but I for one do not and don't have much faith that the current stable of Apple UI designers really know what they are doing.
    edited May 2016 caliplanetary paulelijahgmaclvr03
  • Reply 9 of 41
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member
    larz2112 said:
    Over the past few years, with both iOS and Mac OS X the UI design has slowly but surely been getting worse. Things that used to be intuitive are no longer such. Things that used to take two clicks now take two clicks, a scroll, and one more click, etc. I'm sure there are some that love the latest UIs compared to previous, but I for one do not and don't have much faith that the current stable of Apple UI designers really know what they are doing.
    There was a time I would have b-slapped you for making such a comment. But not any longer. It is, sadly too true.
    wdowellplanetary paullightknightbadmonk
  • Reply 10 of 41
    larz2112larz2112 Posts: 291member
    For instance, in the current Music app in iOS 9.3.1 where is the friggin' repeat song/playlist button? It used to be easy to find. Now I can't find it, or maybe it doesn't even exist anymore. Just one example of a UI element that used to be easy and intuitive to find and is now just a cause for frustration.
  • Reply 11 of 41
    jr_bjr_b Posts: 64member
    Frankly, I would be happy if they would just fix the damn program. I still haven't finished repairing the mess from the last time I used Apple Music.
  • Reply 12 of 41
    larz2112 said:
    For instance, in the current Music app in iOS 9.3.1 where is the friggin' repeat song/playlist button? It used to be easy to find. Now I can't find it, or maybe it doesn't even exist anymore. Just one example of a UI element that used to be easy and intuitive to find and is now just a cause for frustration.
    Pull up the song that's playing and look below the volume bar. Tap on the third icon from the left to cycle between no repeat, repeat playlist/album, repeat song.
  • Reply 13 of 41
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    Fine grain fingertip control is what I want. This is what I LOVE about the Soundcloud app. It lets me jump right into the groove. And it works like a breeze for long DJ sets as well.

Apple could reinstate the fine grain control they used to have with the iPod by replacing its clumsy slider with a virtual scroll wheel. It'd be a great use of 3D touch.

>:x
    dewme
  • Reply 14 of 41
    slprescottslprescott Posts: 765member
    larz2112 said:
    For instance, in the current Music app in iOS 9.3.1 where is the friggin' repeat song/playlist button?
    1. Toward the bottom of the iOS Music screen, directly above the toolbar, is a line listing the song currently playing.
    2. Click that line to make the song full-screen.
    3. At the bottom of the new full-screen is an icon of two cycling arrows.  Tap this to cycle through these states:
        - No repeat
        - Repeat all
        - Repeat one (current song)
  • Reply 15 of 41
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    NY1822 said:
    Once you go black, you'll never go back.
    But it's black and white

"Once you go white..."?
  • Reply 16 of 41
    "Red is gray, and yellow, white...but we decide which is right. And which is an illusion..."
    -Moody Blues, "Nights in White Satin"
    cnocbui
  • Reply 17 of 41
    73dray73dray Posts: 12member
    larz2112 said:
    Amen, the Music app is a terrible user experience. Keep it simple. All it needs to do is:

- Find music
    - Play music

Add color to the things I need to do and get rid of the transparency. It doesn't ground me to where I came from, it just confuses my occipital lobe.
  • Reply 18 of 41
    ceek74ceek74 Posts: 324member
    All I want is an easily accessible and adjustable EQ. Holy F!!! Apple's products are so advanced that there's 22 EQ presets but not even a simple 3 or 5-band EQ built-in!!?? Oh, and please fix the "have to force-close the music app to show only downloaded music that's on my phone, every single time" bug.
  • Reply 19 of 41
    Not everybody is colour blind. To me more greyness will just mean more indistinguishable grey blobs where I will have to read the explaining text with them, like in the Finder. Very bad........
    maclvr03
  • Reply 20 of 41
    afsnyderafsnyder Posts: 1member
    larz2112 said:
    It's an icon on the "Now Playing" screen. It's the arrows in an oval shape icon at the bottom middle right.