Sight unseen, consumers are more excited about Apple's 'iPhone 7' than they were for iPhone 6s

Posted:
in iPhone edited May 2016
A new survey of prospective smartphone owners signals customers are more excited to see what Apple has in store for this year's "iPhone 7" than they were last year's iPhone 6s unveiling, though early interest for the 2016 upgrade is still behind hype for the iPhone 6 two years ago.

Renders by Feld & Volk.

The UBS Evidence Lab did a survey of 6,336 smartphone users across the U.S., U.K., Germany, mainland China, and Japan to gauge interest in Apple's next smartphone. Though nothing is officially known about the so-called "iPhone 7," the poll found that consumer interest and demand are high.

In the U.S. and China, respondents showed more interest in the "iPhone 7" than were interested in the iPhone 6s last year. In both markets, demand for the "iPhone 7" has not yet exceeded the excitement for the iPhone 6, which launched in 2014 and marked Apple's first foray into significantly larger form factors.

Though Apple's leading markets are very interested in what the company has next, interest has waned somewhat in Europe, where interest in purchasing the "iPhone 7" is actually somewhat below the iPhone 6s.

The data has led UBS analyst Steven Milunovich to predict that iPhone unit growth will reach between 5 and 10 percent in Apple's fiscal year 2017. He believes many users who have not yet upgraded to a larger display could buy in with the latest product cycle driven by a redesigned "iPhone 7."

Finally, the poll also found that nearly half of respondents are holding off on buying a new iPhone until the next model is available. It's expected that the "iPhone 7" will launch in September, in line with Apple's usual release schedule.

Renders by Feld & Volk.

The fact that consumer interest in the "iPhone 7" is so high when virtually nothing is known about the device is a testament to users' faith in Apple to continue to churn out desirable products. It's believed the new iPhone will sport a redesigned chassis to differentiate it from the iPhone 6s, and leaked parts suggest it could gain the iPad Pro's Smart Connector for wireless charging.

The addition of the Smart Connector could also allow users to utilize slimmer battery cases, and it could allow Apple to release Lightning-connected headphones that could be used without blocking the ability of the device to charge. There have also been reports suggesting Apple hopes to get rid of the 3.5-millimeter headphone jack in order to make the handset thinner than ever, though this week a new leak suggested the legacy headphone port could remain.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 41
    why-why- Posts: 305member
    are those number for the 6 and 6s from 2016 or when those phone were set to launch?
  • Reply 2 of 41
    bkkcanuckbkkcanuck Posts: 864member
    Don't know most people would care about small incremental updates that are going to happen going forward.  The phone is already pretty amazing and I think we are well past the point of diminishing returns....  of course if I were in the market for a new phone I would go for the SE model -- so maybe I am not the best judge of it.  
    dachar
  • Reply 3 of 41
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member
    Why would anybody be surprised that the cycle where an all new phone is introduced has more interest than the "S" cycle?!
    jonlmonstrositycalidachar1983retrogusto
  • Reply 4 of 41
    dws-2dws-2 Posts: 276member
    What matters is how people feel after they see it.
    edited May 2016 cnocbui
  • Reply 5 of 41
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    I'm torn between being excited to upgrade and not bothering. In the past I was always on a 2 year contract so I felt compelled to upgraded and this would be my upgrade year. But now since I can reduce my cost of monthly service with no contract, I may just be satisfied with my iPhone 6 for another year or so. The iPhones have gotten so good lately that the upgrades are mostly incremental. I'm not dissatisfied in any way with my current iPhone 6. It doesn't have 3D touch but I'm not so sure it is all that important.
    edited May 2016 wonkothesane
  • Reply 6 of 41
    It's amazing to me how ignorant people are about these things. And I say that completely non-judgmentally, as the people I'm talking about are my (often highly educated, intelligent, and professional) colleagues, friends, and family. The rose gold color by itself probably meant more to sales than the harder aluminum and glass, 3D touch, and camera improvements combined. Apple could have just called the 6s iPhone 7 and automatically boosted the public's opinion.

One of Apple's great strengths is guiding the consumer to doing things the correct way. But after nearly 10 iterations of the iPhone people still don't get it!! At some point Apple needs to compromise between what makes sense and what people are able to comprehend. I'm really curious to see if Apple will keep the "s" nomenclature going or not after the 7.
    edited May 2016
  • Reply 7 of 41
    3D Touch is crucial to Apple being able to eliminate the home button and shrink bezels. People should stop saying they have no use for it. YOU WILL!
    patchythepirateholysmokesbobschlob
  • Reply 8 of 41
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member

What about this:

Apple CEO Tim Cook Says Next-Generation iPhones Will Come With Features ‘You Can't Live Without’

As noted by Tech Insider, Cook said the following: “We have great innovation in the pipeline, like new iPhones that will incent you and other people that have iPhones today to upgrade to new iPhones.” “We are going to give you things that you can't live without, that you just don't even know you need today...You will look back and wonder 'how did I live without this?” he added further.

http://www.ibtimes.com/apple-ceo-tim-cook-says-next-generation-iphones-will-come-features-you-cant-live-2363064

• Reply 9 of 41
    3D Touch is crucial to Apple being able to eliminate the home button and shrink bezels. People should stop saying they have no use for it. YOU WILL!

Apparently IPv6 is crucial to Apple too:

Apple says all apps must support IPv6-only networking by June

By AppleInsider Staff 
    Wednesday, May 04, 2016, 02:47 pm PT (05:47 pm ET)

Apple in an announcement Wednesday reminded developers of an upcoming change to App Store policy that requires all iOS apps include support for IPv6-only networking. 

http://appleinsider.com/articles/16/05/04/apple-says-all-apps-must-support-ipv6-only-networking-by-june
  • Reply 10 of 41
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Two big questions, if headphone jack is gone and Lightning EarPods are included in box, will magnetic Smart Connector changing cable be the default cable included in box, and how do people charge while rocking a case and using headphones?
    melodyof1974
  • Reply 11 of 41
    Apple is not going to redesign the iPhone this year and have a boring S upgrade for it's 10th anniversary next year.
  • Reply 12 of 41
    bdkennedy said:
    Apple is not going to redesign the iPhone this year and have a boring S upgrade for it's 10th anniversary next year.

What you suggest is very un-Apple!

If the tech is ready, Apple will bring it to market.

• Reply 13 of 41
    LoneStar88LoneStar88 Posts: 325member
    We're on our second year of AT&T's Next program. We started with one each of 6/6+ the September before last, then traded them in last September for a 6S/6S+. Great phones, all of them. Now we're ready for the 7s. My Plus with 128GB storage is a $1K phone, and all we have to do is pay the sales tax and send the old ones in. Painless. Great system.
  • Reply 14 of 41
    We're on our second year of AT&T's Next program. We started with one each of 6/6+ the September before last, then traded them in last September for a 6S/6S+. Great phones, all of them. Now we're ready for the 7s. My Plus with 128GB storage is a $1K phone, and all we have to do is pay the sales tax and send the old ones in. Painless. Great system.

How does the AT&T program compare to the iPhone Upgrade Program?  We use AT&T and when we bought our iPhone 6s devices (per Phil) -- the Apple program was less expensive and included AppleCare.

Also, under the AT&T plan do you have to pay an activation fee for the new iPhone?

edited May 2016 cornchip
  • Reply 15 of 41
    NY1822NY1822 Posts: 621member
    Augmented reality and wireless charging will drive sales the most when released...not necessarily in that order...the average joe would prob rather have wireless charging.
    http://iphone.appleinsider.com/articles/15/12/29/apple-predicted-to-aggressively-pursue-virtual-augmented-reality-tech-in-2016
  • Reply 16 of 41
    qwweraqwwera Posts: 281member
    Sight unseen, I want the iPhone 8 instead.
  • Reply 17 of 41
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    ireland said:
    Two big questions, if headphone jack is gone and Lightning EarPods are included in box, will magnetic Smart Connector changing cable be the default cable included in box, and how do people charge while rocking a case and using headphones?
    Yes. Of course. Apple gives you two cables now. If they release a smart connector charging solution, it makes sense they would also give you the charger to promote it.

Otherwise, the headphones will require a more expensive pass through Lightning plug for charging and listening at the same time, which won't promote the use of the SC.

As for charging, listening and "rocking a case", my guess is all iP7 cases will have openings, or pass-throughs for the smart connectors -- you didn't really think Apple would make the iP6 accessories compatible with the 7 did you?
  • Reply 18 of 41
    subbiessubbies Posts: 71member
    Unless it comes out with something unexpected. I think I'll stick to my 6+. Too similar 
  • Reply 19 of 41
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,293member
    I'll just stick with my 6+ for now. It does everything I need. 
  • Reply 20 of 41
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    dws-2 said:
    What matters is how people feel after they see it.
    Not really, it mostly relates to their willingness to upgrade than the phone itself (that's why they have this feeling sight unseen).