Kohl's becomes first Apple Pay retailer to link rewards, store cards in one transaction

Posted:
in iPhone
Department store chain Kohl's on Wednesday announced that Apple Pay users can now pay with a Kohl's Charge card and earn Yes2You Rewards points at the same, making it the first Apple Pay retailer to combine store card payments and rewards in a single-tap transaction.

About 250 Kohl's stores currently support the option, which should be available in all locations by the end of the month, the company said. The system will work automatically so long as a person has both their Charge and Yes2You cards linked to Apple Pay.

In October 2015, Kohl's became the first retailer to have an Apple Pay-enabled store card. Since then, in fact, only one other chain has come onboard in this respect, though JCPenney may follow suit.

Merchant support in general has become the weakest link for Apple Pay in the U.S. While virtually every bank of note in the country is participating, many retailers aren't accepting payments. Several that have promised support for months or years -- like Anthropologie, Marriott, and Forever 21 -- still haven't made the transition.

Apple has promised that more major chains such as Au Bon Pain and Chick-fil-A will add support later this year.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    NemWanNemWan Posts: 118member
    Finally. Now everybody else do it! Some big chains that take Apple Pay aren't even as far along as having their loyalty card be electronic, even if they have an app. (Looking at you, Subway.)
    steveh
  • Reply 2 of 17
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,241member
    sog35 said:
    Tim Cook needs to get off of his Privacy high horse.

He keeps spewing the importance of Privacy but his customers don't give a shiit.

90% of iOS users use Facebook or Google Services.

iOS users don't give a crap about data mining as long as they benefit.

Tim Cook needs to open up Apple Pay data to retailers. Give Walmart, Best buy, Target, ect all the data they want on purchases. If Cook does that I can guarantee that ApplePay adoption will go up 500% on the vendor side. Walmart does not want ApplePay because Apple blocks all the customer data. Just stop it Cook.

I'd give my data away to get Apple Pay available EVERY WHERE. And almost all iOS users agree based on their acceptance and usage of Google/Facebook

I don't mind Tim Cook standing up for gay rights, diversity, and being green. But when these stances INTERFERE with Apple's ability to strengthen their brand and services he must stand down.  Tim Cook's privacy stance is extreme and is hurting Apple the company and its shareholders.  He is literally leaving a $300 billion business on the table because his 'personal belief' that data mining and advertising is evil.  ApplePay is stagnant for the same reason because he refuses to share data with the merchants. I'm just sick of this extreme stance.  Its even more ridiculous because 90% of iOS users use Google/Facebook anyway.  So they are getting data mined already. I'd much rather have Apple data mine me than Google/Facebook.

Tim Cook needs to get off of his high horse and his pious stance and give people a choice.
    Sorry, I respectably disagree. I'm tired of all the advertising, junk emails and businesses knowing everything about my buying habits. You're correct about people using Facebook and Google without understanding what's happening to their data and it doesn't help to try and educate them because they just don't get it. As for dealing with Walmart, I don't and never will. People have to take a stand on who they're willing to support otherwise everything will be owned and run by Walmart-type old white men who could care less about anything except lining their pockets. I want Home Depot to take Apple Pay again but it will take another data hacking to get them to open their eyes and see what they're doing is stupid. Same with the other reputable companies. Too many of these companies are followers and the company that leads is really messing with people's live in many ways. Tim Cook and Apple are making a stand. If you're not willing to understand or agree with that stand then it's time to move on. 
    fotoformatiosenthusiastredraider11stevehbanchojbdragonksecnolamacguy
  • Reply 3 of 17
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member
    sog35 said:

He keeps spewing the importance of Privacy but his customers don't give a shiit.

Tim Cook needs to open up Apple Pay data to retailers. Give Walmart, Best buy, Target, ect all the data they want on purchases. If Cook does that I can guarantee that ApplePay adoption will go up 500% on the vendor side. Walmart does not want ApplePay because Apple blocks all the customer data. Just stop it Cook.

I'd give my data away to get Apple Pay available EVERY WHERE. And almost all iOS users agree based on their acceptance and usage of Google/Facebook

I don't mind Tim Cook standing up for gay rights, diversity, and being green. But when these stances INTERFERE with Apple's ability to strengthen their brand and services he must stand down.  Tim Cook's privacy stance is extreme and is hurting Apple the company and its shareholders.  He is literally leaving a $300 billion business on the table because his 'personal belief' that data mining and advertising is evil.  ApplePay is stagnant for the same reason because he refuses to share data with the merchants. I'm just sick of this extreme stance.  Its even more ridiculous because 90% of iOS users use Google/Facebook anyway.  So they are getting data mined already. I'd much rather have Apple data mine me than Google/Facebook.

Tim Cook needs to get off of his high horse and his pious stance and give people a choice.
    Don't use any Google product/service directly. (I understand what happens behind the scenes) or FB. I would prefer that merchants accept Apple Pay, but would rather minimize any data mining done by stores. I don't want targeted ads ever, nor do I want that info being sold beyond the merchant. If that slows up the roll out at retailers, so be it. They'll come around eventually.
    iosenthusiaststevehjbdragon
  • Reply 4 of 17
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    We experienced this just a couple of days ago. We purchased some clothing at our local Kohl’s and I used my Watch to pay with our Kohl’s  store credit card. The sales clerk advised us that our Kohl’s rewards card was also updated but that seemed to surprise her. Quicken 2016 Mac will also direct connect with Kohl’s for downloading transactions. Kohl’s seems to be up with the times as far as online and electronic commerce goes. And they have good prices on name brand clothing too.
    edited May 2016 jbdragon
  • Reply 5 of 17
    bellsbells Posts: 140member
    sog35 said:

I care. I don't use any Google services, or Facebook. I support Apple because of some of its stances on issues.

Further, Walmart and other retailers dislike credit cards like Visa. They are trying to support competing methods of payment.

iosenthusiastai46banchojbdragonnolamacguy
  • Reply 6 of 17
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    rob53 said:

As for dealing with Walmart, I don't and never will. 
    Same here.

Quote from Bernie Sanders:
    "At an event in Manchester Friday, the Vermont senator and Democratic presidential candidate noted that the nation’s single richest family — the heirs of Walmart founder Sam Walton — has more wealth than the bottom 40 percent of the population. (Politifact has deemed this assertion to be true.) Sanders also said the wages Walmart offers are so meager that employees need to rely on taxpayer-funded social programs such as Medicaid and subsidized housing."
    And probably food stamps and school lunches too. For Walmart's greed the US taxpayer is picking up the tab.
    edited May 2016 iosenthusiastgatorguysupadav03banchonolamacguy
  • Reply 7 of 17
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    volcan said:
    rob53 said:

As for dealing with Walmart, I don't and never will. 
    Same here.

Quote from Bernie Sanders:
    "At an event in Manchester Friday, the Vermont senator and Democratic presidential candidate noted that the nation’s single richest family — the heirs of Walmart founder Sam Walton — has more wealth than the bottom 40 percent of the population. (Politifact has deemed this assertion to be true.) Sanders also said the wages Walmart offers are so meager that employees need to rely on taxpayer-funded social programs such as Medicaid and subsidized housing."
    And probably food stamps and school lunches too. For Walmart's greed the US taxpayer is picking up the tab.
    But instead of Sanders as a choice it will be Clinton. Pretty clear who runs the country: the 1%ers

If there's ever been a time ripe for a third-party option it's now. There is no good choice if it's between Clinton and Trump IMHO. Neither one is trusted nor respected by most folks according to polls but very sadly I don't see anyone jumping into the fray as a serious contender. Hopefully the other two legs of our government, Congress and the Courts, can keep the damage either one brings with them to a minimum just as the Founding Fathers intended. 

My apologies for the distraction. Carry on with the thread topic. 
    edited May 2016 jbdragonnolamacguy
  • Reply 8 of 17
    stevehsteveh Posts: 480member
    sog35 said:

Merchants are slow to adapt Apple Pay because Apple refuses to share data.

Its time for Tim  Cook to stop with his pious and extreme view of Privacy. Give the merchants the data they deserve.

If Apple opened up the merchant data almost everyone would support Apple Pay.
    The merchants can go ahead and keep on wishing for something of mine they have no business having. Let them track sales, do a bit of work on the numbers, and see what customers want. Beyond that, they can just go whistle.

If you want them to have that information, then you go tell them; leave me alone.

More merchants will end up accepting it anyway, perhaps holding their noses, but it's better for them to get the sales than biting their noses off for spite. And they know it.
    ai46jbdragon
  • Reply 9 of 17
    kent909kent909 Posts: 731member
    Until corporations can demonstrate that they can protect my data from hackers, then they have no right to ask for it or get it.
  • Reply 10 of 17
    rotateleftbyterotateleftbyte Posts: 1,630member
    sog35 said:

I dare you to say the same things when you have had your identity stolen. Go on, do all your shopping and give the retailers ALL your details including you SSN, basically, your life and see what happens. I'll bet you won't like it. Yes, I had my ID stolen. It took me a long time to get it sorted out. That is why I don't have any contactless cards in my RFI blocking wallet. Do I use Apple Pay? Yes I do and because it is secure and I don't give retailers a key to me, my life and bombarding me with useless crap adverts.
    The older I get, the more of a luddite I get. The less of me that is on the internet the better.

bancho
  • Reply 11 of 17
    Hawkeye_MoHawkeye_Mo Posts: 18member
    sog35 said:
    NemWan said:
    Finally. Now everybody else do it! Some big chains that take Apple Pay aren't even as far along as having their loyalty card be electronic, even if they have an app. (Looking at you, Subway.)

Its time for Tim  Cook to stop with his pious and extreme view of Privacy. Give the merchants the data they deserve.

If Apple opened up the merchant data almost everyone would support Apple Pay.
    All the merchants have to do to mine the data they want is create loyalty cards, which most of the ApplePay hold outs do already.  So they aren't really missing out on any prized customer data.  They don't need a direct link to my CC to get the info they want.  In the interest of reducing ID theft, all data sharing should be OPT IN.

But as others have said, merchants don't need individual spending habits, all they have to do is mine the (total) sales they make to know what their shoppers, as a general populous, purchase.  Hard to see the forest when you are focused on a blade of grass.

Bottom line, the reason its slow to be adopted is merchants don't want the expense of upgrading their POSTs for NFC, or the fee charge from their credit service activating that feature on the backend.  It has very little to do with Apple's data sharing policies, that is just merchants smoke screen.
    edited May 2016 supadav03bancho
  • Reply 12 of 17
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    NemWan said:
    Yes. I hope in the future Apple can abstract away the idea of Cards and have it done automatically without selection. You sign up a Royalty Reward Card & Payment Card, the merchant can keep both Payment Processing and Royalty by themselves, getting the data they want, and the processing advantage of rate they like, Apple pay will automatically use that card as preferred payment without any manual selection.

This is also a good way for merchant to collect data. Without Apple braking its privacy rules, and some day, hopefully Apple can get those receipt to me electronically as well.
  • Reply 13 of 17
    linkmanlinkman Posts: 1,035member
    sog35 said:

No, it's just because the merchants are stupid.
    nolamacguy
  • Reply 14 of 17
    maclvr03maclvr03 Posts: 198member
    At Walgreens, when I first used my Apple Pay and their Reward card I was kind of confused as I assumed that it was all one transaction but it was not. Had to do the Rewards first, then my CC. Wonder if they will next. 
  • Reply 15 of 17
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    lkrupp said:
    We experienced this just a couple of days ago. We purchased some clothing at our local Kohl’s and I used my Watch to pay with our Kohl’s  store credit card. The sales clerk advised us that our Kohl’s rewards card was also updated but that seemed to surprise her. Quicken 2016 Mac will also direct connect with Kohl’s for downloading transactions. Kohl’s seems to be up with the times as far as online and electronic commerce goes. And they have good prices on name brand clothing too.
    a coworker used to work for Kohl's. while the business is Midwest, the IT stuff is in Silicon Valley. he worked for them as an IBM contractor, implementing their new fun Apple stuff.
  • Reply 16 of 17
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    sog35 said:

Did i say anything about Apple has to share SSN and CC numbers? Hell no.

All I said was Apple should be willing to share purchasing data aka what you buy. 

That's what I mean about Tim Cook's EXTREME STANCE of privacy.  He wants to block EVERYTHING.  Even things that won't harm the consumer.  To Tim Cook its either all or nothing.  Does Google/Facebook expose your SSN and CC numbers? Hell no. But they still share data to give the user a better experience.  Apple needs to do the same for ApplePay. Be willing to share purchasing data (what you buy, when, where) and almost every big merchant will join Apple pay.

ApplePay does not send anything but a token and the total charges to the CC issuer and receives an accept or decline -- Apple has no knowledge of what you buy or what you pay.

edited May 2016