Microsoft begins warning users it will cut free OneDrive storage to 5GB, matching Apple's iCloud

Posted:
in General Discussion
Microsoft is sending out email alerts to OneDrive customers, warning people with free 15-gigabyte accounts that their storage will shrink to 5 gigabytes on August 10, assuming they didn't previously opt into keeping the higher amount.

Although the change has already been in effect for new OneDrive subscribers for some time -- also eliminating an extra 15-gigabyte camera roll bonus -- a number of people were grandfathered into the 15-gigabyte tier. Earlier notifications gave this group a chance to say they wanted to keep their storage, following a backlash against original plans to implement the change universally.

Users with uploads over 5 gigabytes should be getting a year's subscription to Office 365 Personal, which includes 1 terabyte of cloud storage.

The new 5-gigabyte scheme brings OneDrive's free tier down to the same level as the one for Apple's iCloud. Apple, however, offers 50 gigabytes for 99 cents per month, whereas that same storage costs $1.99 from Microsoft. Another difference is a 200-gigabyte tier that Microsoft lacks entirely.

The company does have an edge when it comes to terabyte plans. Its options include Office 365 access, and start at $6.99 per month -- Apple is charging a flat $9.99 with no special bonuses.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 48
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    I have so many iOS devices that 5 Gb just doesn't cut it, so I just pay 99 cents a month to Apple.
    jbdragonbaconstang
  • Reply 2 of 48
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    5 GB should still be able to handle my 0 GB.
  • Reply 3 of 48
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Apple should go the other way and increase the free storage to 50gb and cancel that 99 cents deal. For Apple its nickel and dining the customers imo. I don't know but I'd imagine the cost would be offset by increased sales. 
    irelandjony0williamlondon
  • Reply 4 of 48
    SEngineerSEngineer Posts: 16member
    Its stupid to take something back. I can give back all my microsoft products thanks to iOS, OSX, Open Office, Numbers and so on. Good bye gooooood byyyyye micro...Im am unistalling you all
    calijbdragonwilliamlondonbrakkenmagman1979baconstang
  • Reply 5 of 48
    bkkcanuckbkkcanuck Posts: 864member
    SEngineer said:
    Its stupid to take something back. I can give back all my microsoft products thanks to iOS, OSX, Open Office, Numbers and so on. Good bye gooooood byyyyye micro...Im am unistalling you all
    So lets see, it irritates you that Microsoft does not give you as much free stuff -- that you are going to throw out stuff you have already acquired (I am assuming you are not a subscriber otherwise you would have 1TB)?  That is silly....

I don't personally use any Microsoft productivity applications, it was not worth it to me....  I am fine with Pages, Numbers etc.  Only the desperate or those working for a very cheap company have to use Open Office (yes, my office used it).  I am not a big user that it made sense upgrading (aka buying a new copy) of Office.... I could have continued to use 2008 (which still worked when I uninstalled it), but I figured I was fine with Pages and Numbers.... not a big user anyways.  Still think MS Office is a good product, it just is not worth it to me.  (I have used Wordstar -> Wordperfect -> MS Office -> Pages/Numbers).
  • Reply 6 of 48
    apple ][ said:
    I have so many iOS devices that 5 Gb just doesn't cut it, so I just pay 99 cents a month to Apple.

Not a problem with me, I don't let anything important out of what I am able to secure behind my (enterprise grade) firewall.
    goodbyeranch
  • Reply 7 of 48
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Backups to iCloud should be free and backup any iOS device you own. There would be small few rules for app devs and Mac photographers to stop them abusing the free backups.

Why you ask? Aren't you being greedy here? No. I think regardless of the costs involved for Apple—and in the grand scheme of things the costs compared to Apple's wealth would be minor—the benefits to such a system would be amazing for Apple device users and for Apple.

For Apple, the benefits here are because users no longer need to think about backups as a problem and everyone has everything backed up, Apple gets a certain ecosystem lock-in that few other companies can get.

For users they never have to worry about losing important data ever again.

Both parties benefit in extraordinary ways.

And they could have a single paid plan of 5 TB for €14.99 per month for photographers and pros that includes iCloud backup for Macs too.

It Just Works®
    edited May 2016 nasseraepaxman
  • Reply 8 of 48
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    I remember when they took back "unlimited storage" and now this.....
  • Reply 9 of 48
    pscooter63pscooter63 Posts: 1,080member
    Don't drug dealers follow this business model?
    lkruppmagman1979igrouchojbdragon
  • Reply 10 of 48
    zeus423zeus423 Posts: 240member
    Not only can Microsoft keep OneDrive, but they can keep Word too. Time to cue up Paul Anderson's song "Microsoft Word".

I can't find the song online, but at least the lyrics are here:  http://www.madmusic.com/song_details.aspx?SongID=7016
  • Reply 11 of 48
    isteelersisteelers Posts: 738member
    ireland said:
    Backups to iCloud should be free and backup any iOS device you own. There would be small few rules for app devs and Mac photographers to stop them abusing the free backups.

Why you ask? Aren't you being greedy here? No. I think regardless of the costs involved for Apple—and in the grand scheme of things the costs compared to Apple's wealth would be minor—the benefits to such a system would be amazing for Apple device users and for Apple.

For Apple, the benefits here are because users no longer need to think about backups as a problem and everyone has everything backed up, Apple gets a certain ecosystem lock-in that few other companies can get.

For users they never have to worry about losing important data ever again.

Both parties benefit in extraordinary ways.

And they could have a single paid plan of 5 TB for €14.99 per month for photographers and pros that includes iCloud backup for Macs too.

It Just Works®
    Storage is cheap enough if you need it.  I would always welcome more free storage, but enough storage to equal all iOS devices in use is not realistic. 
    Rayz2016williamlondonnolamacguy
  • Reply 12 of 48
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    paxman said:
    Apple should go the other way and increase the free storage to 50gb and cancel that 99 cents deal. For Apple its nickel and dining the customers imo. I don't know but I'd imagine the cost would be offset by increased sales. 
    Increased sales?  How many potential iDevice buyers do you imagine are being put off by the iCloud storage limit?
  • Reply 13 of 48
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    MS forced a Windows 10 Upgrade on my mother mid day after she pressed the X to close the prompt demanding she upgrade.
    So, basically a fucking forced upgrade....
    Man she was mad when she called me. Raving mad and it takes a lot to get her going.

She's not a computer expert, but knows enough that she knows she didn't accept this "upgrade".

Microsoft is really piling the shit sky high these days.
    brakkenmagman1979baconstang
  • Reply 14 of 48
    DoubleDouble Posts: 1member
    OneDrive is such a mess, has been since it was Skydrive. Taking storage away is not the answer, we're already living in 2010 with all these limited storage capacities.. meanwhile physical storage is doubling and becoming more and more affordable by the year. I think what MS is trying to say, is that nobody is using their service, and that not even the free 15GB is enough to bring people into their ecosystem.
    magman1979
  • Reply 15 of 48
    davidwdavidw Posts: 2,049member
    paxman said:

I would think the only company that can offer massive amount of free cloud storage would be Google (and maybe Amazon), as Google and Amazon can find a way to monetize their customers data, to offset the cost of storage. As of now, Apple must rely on (meaning pay) Google, Amazon and Microsoft for the cloud capacity they need to meet the needs of their own iOS and Mac users. But I can see Apple offering more free storage, when they build enough of their own data centers to handle their needs, without relying on third parties.  
    baconstang
  • Reply 16 of 48
    wonkothesanewonkothesane Posts: 1,723member
    I was one of those with more than 5 GB and eligible for the 1 TB plus free office for one year. However, the online procedure to follow did not work, their online help was useless as there was no way to select this particular issue. The hotline was totally incompetent, and did not even know about this upgrade path. Obviously, now I also received this funny email telling me that they "regret" to cut my space down to 5 GB.

One of the worst customer experiences ever.

By contrast, Applw customer service at each occasion had been friendly, competent and fast. 

Sometimes, you need such experiences like with Microsoft as a small reminder in order to fully appreciate Apple customer service. 
    pscooter63williamlondonlarryamagman1979baconstangRayz2016chia
  • Reply 17 of 48
    hemmerhemmer Posts: 2member
    Sometimes, you need such experiences like with Microsoft as a small reminder in order to fully appreciate Apple customer service. 
    However, if you'd paid for and been tortured by Apple's .Mac and Mobile Me service then you wouldn't require even a small reminder, you would have a crystal clear front-of-mind understanding of failed customer service. 
  • Reply 18 of 48
    I think it's insulting for Microsoft to go so low. Apple is 5gb yes. But on the other end of the spectrum you have google with 15gb and free video and photo storage. Apple should anounce at MWC this year that they are upping there free tier to compete with Google or passing them. At worst they could do it based off of active iDevices and macs. For every 5gb on your idevice 1gb of storage, every 25gb Mac 1gb of storage.

(Que: but but Google sales you idiot post)
  • Reply 19 of 48
    I think it's insulting for Microsoft to go so low. Apple is 5gb yes. But on the other end of the spectrum you have google with 15gb and free video and photo storage. Apple should anounce at MWC this year that they are upping there free tier to compete with Google or passing them. At worst they could do it based off of active iDevices and macs. For every 5gb on your idevice 1gb of storage, every 25gb Mac 1gb of storage.

(Que: but but Google sales you idiot post)
    Google makes money from your data, Apple has committed to that your data is your data and it will not use it for other purposes.

I find it funny that people think companies owe them free stuff.  "Free" stuff is often not so free (you are selling your personal information to advertisers) or it is buried in the cost of something else (like telco's "free" telephone under contract).  The small initial amount is really just a taster, give you a taste hoping that you will opt to buy in (common advertising practice).
    williamlondonmagman1979baconstangRayz2016chia
  • Reply 20 of 48
    FatmanFatman Posts: 513member
    I have yet to hear someone suggest this ... Apple please listen ... If you buy a phone with xGB of physical memory you get that same amount free in the cloud. Its obvious a premium is already being paid - give users the ability to also completely backup their device without having to pay more!