Rumor: 'iPhone 7' may not ship with Apple's Smart Connector after all

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 34
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,056member
    Maybe it's time for Apple to implement these Smart Connectors on every iOS device to distinguish them with all copycats out there. I'm sick and tired of copycats...below is Huawei P9...look at these screws vs Rose Gold iPhone.

• Reply 22 of 34
    radster360radster360 Posts: 546member
    I think Apple really needs to buckle down on this rumors stuff. One thing I do miss from Steve's time that he was extremely secretive about future products. Apple really needs to go back to that and get harder with their suppliers, assemblers, etc. if they want to conduct business with Apple.
  • Reply 23 of 34
    I think Apple really needs to buckle down on this rumors stuff. One thing I do miss from Steve's time that he was extremely secretive about future products. Apple really needs to go back to that and get harder with their suppliers, assemblers, etc. if they want to conduct business with Apple.
    Don't you think a major part of the problem is that iOS device sales have grown exponentially, and with it consumer (read: fans) interest in upcoming design and features? Simultaneously, websites like AppleInsider have likely experienced a surge in page visits, netting increased revenue. Ergo, they can now offer more substantial incentive to anyone willing to break the rules and leak designs.

-Thomas
    edited May 2016
  • Reply 24 of 34
    williamlondonwilliamlondon Posts: 1,325member
    sog35 said:

I'm talking about a desktop replacement, not a laptop replacement.

A desktop iOS will have a market because:

1. It will be alot cheaper than a iPad Pro which is $1000. An iOS desktop could start at $399
    2. It could run the A10 much faster and hotter because battery life is not a concern.
    3. Some people just like to have a computer that is fixed in one location that can be shared by all in the house
    4. Some people prefer a real keyboard and a real mouse
    I hear ya.  I have an iMac 5K.  Hooked up with a TB2 dock.  Sometimes with an extra display.
    But I don't think an A10X will keep up with an i7 etc.
    My laptop is an MBA 11".  I like my portables small.
    I'm not convinced the A10X has to keep up with the i7 to be a player in a device like this or in a situation like you describe, in fact, the current A9 is plenty fast enough for the vast majority of use cases out there. The next gen version is going to be a screamer and will easily provide more than enough speed for the masses. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see "desktop replacement" iOS devices start to come out this year, whatever that might mean, but it's easy to imagine an iOS laptop (non-touch) and what it would mean for Apple - people would rush out to buy the latest device in droves I can imagine which runs all iOS apps and is much cheaper than the cheapest Intel/OS X laptop (and just as or more profitable for Apple). The ecosystem is already moving in this direction with the Smart Connector, perhaps it makes it onto the iPhone this year, perhaps next, but it's all about connectivity, and that is only relevant to a desktop - iOS is moving to the desktop and that has to be Apple's next big thing, taking advantage of that obvious opportunity. How fun it could be for us all.
  • Reply 25 of 34
    peteopeteo Posts: 402member
    sog35 said:
    Apple's value less cash = $343 billion
    Google's value less cash = $421 billion
    Facebook's value less cash = $321 billion

Ridiculous

Apple is worth only 7% more than Facebook. 
    Apple made $53 billion last year, Facebook made $4 billion.
    Even if Facebook increases profits by 1300% they still won't match Apple's profits.
    WTF.

Google is worth $78 billion more than Apple.
    Yet Google only made $16 billion in profits.
    Even if Google TRIPLES its profits it won't make as much as Apple.
    WTF.
    The street does not care. All they want to see is growth. If you don't grow, the stock doesn't. Simple.
  • Reply 26 of 34
    sog35 said:

Ridiculous

Even if Facebook increases profits by 1300% they still won't match Apple's profits.
    WTF.

WTF.
    Need to add back total debt, but I agree with your overall point.
  • Reply 27 of 34
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,898member
    It never was true.
  • Reply 28 of 34
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,333moderator
    amarkap said:

What exactly is this Smart Connector?  I mean it passes data and power or something.  I don't know...might have some potential I'm not seeing. Anyway, does it really matter if it comes in iPhone 7 or iPhone 8?  Doesn't seem like a super exciting feature. 

The iPad Pro uses one to connect to the keyboard cover. For the iPhone, it would allow accessories like payment readers, thermal imaging, camera add-ons, battery packs to avoid plugging into the Lightning port. Battery packs wouldn't need the bulk on the bottom of the phone. Apple's own battery cover is larger at the base. With a smart connector, they'd be able to leave the Lightning port on the phone exposed:

The position of the connector shown in the article picture would have been unlikely because the other end would need pins sticking out:

Sliding a cover with those pins onto the back would scratch the bottom of the phone. It would be more likely that the holes would be on the base next to the Lightning port, where the 3.5mm jack is.

The connector replicates a lot of functionality of the Lightning port though and the Smart Keyboard Cover is pretty much the only use of it on the iPad Pro. There's also the possibility of it disconnecting in a case. Apple will be testing a whole load of different setups to see what adds something beneficial. If the connector adds something useful to the iPhone and they decide to add it, I'd expect it to be positioned at the base of the phone. It can perhaps fit next to the audio port. There's some space in between the Lightning and audio jack (both in white), whereas the speaker fills up the other side of the lightning port:

• Reply 29 of 34
    teknishnteknishn Posts: 38member
    Im trying to figure out why ANYONE would care about this.  I have the new iPad Pro, along with the Apple Pencil... which I love.  I have forgotten that this connector even exists.  If I had the uber keyboard then yes it would use that... but what the entire F is the point on a phone?!?!  If they ditch lightning and everything uses the new smart connector with magnetism then Im all for it.... but otherwise wtf... waste of time, money and press.
    edited May 2016
  • Reply 30 of 34
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    peteo said:
    sog35 said:

Ridiculous

WTF.

WTF.
    The street does not care. All they want to see is growth. If you don't grow, the stock doesn't. Simple.
    Right... That's why the PE ratio is shit compared to other tech stocks for the last 10 years, lack of growth... Do continue professor (sic).
  • Reply 31 of 34
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Apple's production was 1/10 the size it is now in 2007-2009; when the scale of production is so big, being secretive is very very hard, if not impossible.

So, this has nothing to do with "Jobs being secretive.

Hiding new products is also a lot easier than products already in production. Apple was able to hide the Watch design from everyone : No leaks at all.

So, Apple is perfectly able to stop leaks when production is small scale or its a perfectly new product.

williamlondonbaconstangpatchythepirate
  • Reply 32 of 34
    tkell31tkell31 Posts: 216member
    Least exciting new version released to date?  That should be good for sales.
  • Reply 33 of 34
    bestkeptsecretbestkeptsecret Posts: 4,268member

There must be a template that the staff at AI use. Any iPhone 7 rumour will have "...bears a striking resemblance to Bender from Futurama".

And if the iPhone turns out to look different from the pics in the rumour, the template would change to "the iPhone 7 leaks originally bore a striking resemblance to Bender from Futurama"...