Rumored 'iPhone 7' design schematic shows size similar to iPhone 6s, bigger camera opening

Posted:
in iPhone edited May 2016
The base model of Apple's anticipated "iPhone 7" will share the same width and height as the iPhone 6s, but use different camera technology, a design schematic published on Monday suggests.

The graphic depicts the new phone's shell as measuring 67.12 millimeters wide and 138.3 millimeters high, said French site NWE, which obtained the image. Cutouts in the upper left are likewise similar to those of the iPhone 6s, except for the lens opening, hinting at a redesign of that component.

Past reports have indicated that an "iPhone 7 Plus" might have a dual-lens camera, but that the regular model will have a conventional single-lens system, presumably as a way of encouraging people to step up to the more expensive Plus.

Notably missing from the schematic is depth, although NWE said the new device will be "imperceptibly" thinner than the iPhone 6s, citing sources. Many rumors have claimed that Apple is eliminating the 3.5mm headphone jack to reduce thickness, but more recently a parts leak hinted that the jack could be left intact.

Indeed "iPhone 7" rumors have become heavily conflicted in general, with opposite views on whether the phone will be fully waterproof or use a Smart Connector. The product is at least expected to ship later this year, presumably in Apple's normal September iPhone window.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 62
    melodyof1974melodyof1974 Posts: 114member
    Single camera hole? No power button? Is this really the iPhone?
  • Reply 2 of 62
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Where are the cutouts for the power button?

I see the mute, volume and Lightning cutouts. But no power/lock button.
    edited May 2016 melodyof1974chia
  • Reply 3 of 62
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member
    Also why is a diagram that doesn't match anything Apple has ever drawn shown upside down? Dimensions are always shown in the direction of use.
    icoco3melodyof1974
  • Reply 4 of 62
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    The camera had better get better. While I like the camera on my 6+, and the one on the 6S+ is better, it hasn't been the best smartphone camera for two years. Apple is known to use sensors that are two years old, rather than using cutting edge technology. They also need to get on the bandwagon of allowing DNG RAW output as others do. It makes a big difference.
  • Reply 5 of 62
    antonpabloantonpablo Posts: 90member
    So they'll continue milking and recycling the same the design again..Expect another Y-o-Y decline..
    trashman691983
  • Reply 6 of 62
    trashman69trashman69 Posts: 161member
    sog35 said:
    So basically the iPhone 7 will be the iPhone 6s part 2?

I mean WTF Tim Cook. You seriously going to release the same phone THREE YEARS IN A ROW?

I agree.  It would be a disaster to do a '6ss' - minor upgrade.   and I would be gutted.
    I think they will do a major upgrade in 2017 - for the 10 year anniversary of iPhone.
    If this happens - I guess the stock will be a huge buying opportunity in 2016 and most of 2017,
    Could be rough waters ahead for investors.
    lets see.

• Reply 7 of 62
    trashman69trashman69 Posts: 161member
    sog35 said:

I mean WTF Tim Cook. You seriously going to release the same phone THREE YEARS IN A ROW?

I agree.  It would be a disaster to do a '6ss' - minor upgrade.   and I would be gutted.
    I think they will do a major upgrade in 2017 - for the 10 year anniversary of iPhone.
    If this happens - I guess the stock will be a huge buying opportunity in 2016 and most of 2017,
    Could be rough waters ahead for investors.
    lets see.

• Reply 8 of 62
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    Bigger camera opening means Apple is following Samsung and HTC using f1.7 lens.  
    1983ireland
  • Reply 9 of 62
    512ke512ke Posts: 782member
    Maybe if they include only 8gb of memory in the 7, it will encourage people to upgrade to the 7 plus? /s
    ireland
  • Reply 10 of 62
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    sog35 said:

Do you understand what a RUMOR is? Before you go on your latest rant, maybe remember that.
    mike1nolamacguychiawaverboy
  • Reply 11 of 62
    applesauce007applesauce007 Posts: 1,698member
    sog35 said:
    Not exactly.  Imagine PrimeSense + FaceShift + Metaio baked into your iOS and MacOS devices.

• Reply 12 of 62
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member
    sog35 said:

Well, on the flip side; If they come out with an iPhone 7 with a OLED  and new case design, etc etc.  Wall st would tank the stock because they would 'foresee' that the next following iPhone 8 would have nowhere to go. All rabbits have been pulled out of the hat; No one will buy the next iPhone (because of super cycle); Apple is doomed; etc.
    patchythepirateclemynxmattinozwaverboy
  • Reply 13 of 62
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Well, there's also no 3.5mm cutout either, and the latest rumor is that there will be one. So this "leak" is pretty flawed, unless there's really going to be no physical power button, or a headphone jack. 
  • Reply 14 of 62
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    That drawing could come from anywhere...hell if I had 3D CAD software I could create an image like that and submit it to the masses as a verified screenshot.

There's really nothing wrong with the current form factor of the current iPhone. I don't know why it would be the end of the world for Apple to keep the current design. The iPhone 4, 4S, 5, and 5S are essentially the same design. Nobody wanted to cut Steve's legs off at the knees that time so I'm not sure why Sog is all upset that the phone looks the same. If it adds in major new features then there isn't necessarily reasons to change the design. The iMac has looked the same since god knows when and people keep buying it, the MacBook Pro has looked the same and people keep buying it. Its really no different than any other product in the lineup. 
    nolamacguywaverboy
  • Reply 15 of 62
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    sog35 said:

I mean wow...because Steve Jobs never did that. Never mind the iPhone 4-5S looked the same (with different internals each time). If you're so much against Tim, sell your stock and go elsewhere.
    nolamacguychiawaverboy
  • Reply 16 of 62
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    On John Gruber's latest podcast he said the rumors he's heard is that next years phone is going to be a radical redesign with no forehead or chin. It sounded like the big redesign isn't ready yet so there will be minor cosmetic changes (like the antenna bands).

Ben Thompson was his guest and said Apple needs to have new phone designs every year because in China it's all about status. I think that's BS. For one thing I don't think one country should be the driving force behind Apple's product decisions. Second, the idea that people need to be buying a new phone every year is ridiculous. People don't buy a new car or appliances or furniture every year. I really doubt someone using a 4S/5/5S didn't upgrade to the 6S because it looked just like the 6. The biggest reason people aren't upgrading is because the phone they have is good enough for what they're using it for. It's not because they need everyone to know they have the latest phone,
    patchythepiratenolamacguywaverboy
  • Reply 17 of 62
    macplusplusmacplusplus Posts: 2,112member
    This is a case or what? No production schematics may be drawn like that. Also they're holding it wrong, the labels are upside down...
    edited May 2016
  • Reply 18 of 62
    ericthehalfbeeericthehalfbee Posts: 4,486member
    I'm more interested in iOS 10 than the iPhone 7. Can't wait for WWDC.
    patchythepirate
  • Reply 19 of 62
    techprod1gytechprod1gy Posts: 838member
    I agree with some of the sentiment here. Assuming this is close to reality I would almost like to see a slightly thicker iPhone to blend the camera hump in and expand the battery. Not a huge deal to me either way. However I am concerned with the leadership of this company. I am just wondering if diving into this car project and other items is just too much for the company to handle. User experience of software is really suffering as of late. The offerings in Music and Cloud services is confusing. They need to get back on track.
    cnocbui
  • Reply 20 of 62
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    sog35 said:
    On John Gruber's latest podcast he said the rumors he's heard is that next years phone is going to be a radical redesign with no forehead or chin. It sounded like the big redesign isn't ready yet so there will be minor cosmetic changes (like the antenna bands).

Ben Thompson was his guest and said Apple needs to have new phone designs every year because in China it's all about status. I think that's BS. For one thing I don't think one country should be the driving force behind Apple's product decisions. Second, the idea that people need to be buying a new phone every year is ridiculous. People don't buy a new car or appliances or furniture every year. I really doubt someone using a 4S/5/5S didn't upgrade to the 6S because it looked just like the 6. The biggest reason people aren't upgrading is because the phone they have is good enough for what they're using it for. It's not because they need everyone to know they have the latest phone,
    Apple needs a new design every year. 

Why? Because the competition (Android in total) has a new design every 3-6 months.  I'm sorry but the iPhone 6s looks super dated the day it was released. Huge ugly bezels, huge forehead and chin, ugly antenna lines. Every 3-6 months a new Android flagship comes out. Be it Sony, LG, Samsung, Xiaomi, HTC, Huwei, ect.  So once an iPhone has been out for 12 months there has already been 3 or 4 fresh designs from Android. That makes the iPhone look old and outdated. Just look at the Galaxy S7. Just from a pure looks standpoint it blows the iPhone 6s out of the water.

And Apple can afford it. They make 90% of smartphone profits.

You say no one upgrades every year.  But why then is their a constant pattern that the S-models do worse?  Its because many people who bought the S-model the year before upgrade after 1 year because of design changes. I upgraded from the 5s to the 6.  I know a ton of others who did the same. And it wasn't just because of the bigger screen.  It was because it was a fresh all new design.  I know very few people who upgraded from the 6 to the 6s, and the recent sales prove this point.
    It's impossible to compare because every year Apple had gone into new markets and on more carriers. And no Android OEMs aren't redesigning phones every 3-6 months and if if any are it's more out of a desperate need of attention than anything else. HTC One M7-9 look very similar. Samsung Galaxy S6 and S7 look very similar. if Apple needs to redesign the iPhone every year then they're not very good at their job. After all it was Dieter Rams who said good design is long lasting. And Apple has long had an ethos that they don't redesign just for the sake of it, they don't do things just to be new or different. What you and Ben Thompson are saying is Apple needs to do a complete 180 and redesign just for the sake of it, just so someone in China can say look at me I have the newest iPhone. That's not good nor responsible design. But as I said according to the scuttlebutt John Gruber is hearing Apple is working on a massive redesign for 2017. If its not ready for 2016 it's not ready. It would be silly for Apple to spend money on new tooling and manufacturing for one year.
    patchythepiratewaverboy