Rumored 'iPhone 7' design schematic shows size similar to iPhone 6s, bigger camera opening

Comments

• Reply 21 of 62
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    On John Gruber's latest podcast he said the rumors he's heard is that next years phone is going to be a radical redesign with no forehead or chin. It sounded like the big redesign isn't ready yet so there will be minor cosmetic changes (like the antenna bands).

Ben Thompson was his guest and said Apple needs to have new phone designs every year because in China it's all about status. I think that's BS. For one thing I don't think one country should be the driving force behind Apple's product decisions. Second, the idea that people need to be buying a new phone every year is ridiculous. People don't buy a new car or appliances or furniture every year. I really doubt someone using a 4S/5/5S didn't upgrade to the 6S because it looked just like the 6. The biggest reason people aren't upgrading is because the phone they have is good enough for what they're using it for. It's not because they need everyone to know they have the latest phone,
    What is the downside to having "refreshed" external design each year?  It might not be anything radical, but enough to visibly tell a difference from one year to next.  While sometimes having major changes.

If Apple can get a few more in each market to upgrade every year with more frequent design changes, then that is good no?
  • Reply 22 of 62
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    brucemc said:
    On John Gruber's latest podcast he said the rumors he's heard is that next years phone is going to be a radical redesign with no forehead or chin. It sounded like the big redesign isn't ready yet so there will be minor cosmetic changes (like the antenna bands).

Ben Thompson was his guest and said Apple needs to have new phone designs every year because in China it's all about status. I think that's BS. For one thing I don't think one country should be the driving force behind Apple's product decisions. Second, the idea that people need to be buying a new phone every year is ridiculous. People don't buy a new car or appliances or furniture every year. I really doubt someone using a 4S/5/5S didn't upgrade to the 6S because it looked just like the 6. The biggest reason people aren't upgrading is because the phone they have is good enough for what they're using it for. It's not because they need everyone to know they have the latest phone,
    What is the downside to having "refreshed" external design each year?  It might not be anything radical, but enough to visibly tell a difference from one year to next.  While sometimes having major changes.

If Apple can get a few more in each market to upgrade every year with more frequent design changes, then that is good no?
    No because that just fuels this idea that we need to upgrade their phone every year. We don't. And that's one thing killing Apple stock right now.
    waverboy
  • Reply 23 of 62
    sog35 said:
    It's impossible to compare because every year Apple had gone into new markets and on more carriers. And no Android OEMs aren't redesigning phones every 3-6 months and if if any are it's more out of a desperate need of attention than anything else. HTC One M7-9 look very similar. Samsung Galaxy S6 and S7 look very similar. if Apple needs to redesign the iPhone every year then they're not very good at their job. After all it was Dieter Rams who said good design is long lasting. And Apple has long had an ethos that they don't redesign just for the sake of it, they don't do things just to be new or different. What you and Ben Thompson are saying is Apple needs to do a complete 180 and redesign just for the sake of it, just so someone in China can say look at me I have the newest iPhone. That's not good nor responsible design. But as I said according to the scuttlebutt John Gruber is hearing Apple is working on a massive redesign for 2017. If its not ready for 2016 it's not ready. It would be silly for Apple to spend money on new tooling and manufacturing for one year.
    Look at how many redesigned phones Android had since the iPhone 6 came out:

Galaxy S6, S6 Edge
    Sony Xpertia X
    HTC 10
    LG G5
    Nexus 6P
    Motorola X Pure

And then throw in the new Xiaomi and Huwei phones.

yes each Android maker does not redesign each year (some do) but in total there is at least 3 or 4 new fresh Android designs a year.  The last 12 months it has been all about thinner bezels, smaller forehead/chin, curved screens, ect.  If Apple only redesigns every 2 years their phones look old and outdated because over a dozen Android fresh designs have come out in that period.

And stop spewing that only China wants new designs. Everyone wants the hot new looking phone in USA and everywhere else.
    And HTC 7-9 looked very similar. The Galaxy S7 looks very much like the S6. And honestly I don't give a %^+! what Android OEMs do. There is no hard data that suggests people are leaving iPhone for these "fresh" designs. And sure in China one minute Xiaomi is the hot new thing, then it's Huawei, then it's Oppo. Tech journalists have ADD and get bored easily. The average consumer doesn't. If they're not upgrading its because their phone is fast enough, the camera is good enough, the software is good enough. People don't buy new furniture every year they don't buy a new car every year they don't repaint their house every year. They don't need a new phone every year. Apple making cosmetic changes every year just to get people, to buy a new phone is ridiculous. This idea of planned obselence turns people off more than anything.
    nolamacguywaverboy
  • Reply 24 of 62
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    sog35 said:
    So basically the iPhone 7 will be the iPhone 6s part 2?

I mean WTF Tim Cook. You seriously going to release the same phone THREE YEARS IN A ROW?

I agree.  It would be a disaster to do a '6ss' - minor upgrade.   and I would be gutted.
    I think they will do a major upgrade in 2017 - for the 10 year anniversary of iPhone.
    If this happens - I guess the stock will be a huge buying opportunity in 2016 and most of 2017,
    Could be rough waters ahead for investors.
    lets see.

Gutted? Are we taking a cell phone a little too seriously here? As for the next iPhone, what do you guys expect? Seriously there isn't a lot of design opportunity here.
    dasanman69nolamacguy
  • Reply 25 of 62
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    sog35 said:
    It's impossible to compare because every year Apple had gone into new markets and on more carriers. And no Android OEMs aren't redesigning phones every 3-6 months and if if any are it's more out of a desperate need of attention than anything else. HTC One M7-9 look very similar. Samsung Galaxy S6 and S7 look very similar. if Apple needs to redesign the iPhone every year then they're not very good at their job. After all it was Dieter Rams who said good design is long lasting. And Apple has long had an ethos that they don't redesign just for the sake of it, they don't do things just to be new or different. What you and Ben Thompson are saying is Apple needs to do a complete 180 and redesign just for the sake of it, just so someone in China can say look at me I have the newest iPhone. That's not good nor responsible design. But as I said according to the scuttlebutt John Gruber is hearing Apple is working on a massive redesign for 2017. If its not ready for 2016 it's not ready. It would be silly for Apple to spend money on new tooling and manufacturing for one year.

Galaxy S6, S6 Edge
    Sony Xpertia X
    HTC 10
    LG G5
    Nexus 6P
    Motorola X Pure

And then throw in the new Xiaomi and Huwei phones.

yes each Android maker does not redesign each year (some do) but in total there is at least 3 or 4 new fresh Android designs a year.  The last 12 months it has been all about thinner bezels, smaller forehead/chin, curved screens, ect.  If Apple only redesigns every 2 years their phones look old and outdated because over a dozen Android fresh designs have come out in that period.

And stop spewing that only China wants new designs. Everyone wants the hot new looking phone in USA and everywhere else.
    These 'fresh new designs' all have one thing in common.  They all look iPhone with metal cases. 
    rogifan_newicoco3waverboy
  • Reply 26 of 62
    I agree with some of the sentiment here. Assuming this is close to reality I would almost like to see a slightly thicker iPhone to blend the camera hump in and expand the battery. Not a huge deal to me either way. However I am concerned with the leadership of this company. I am just wondering if diving into this car project and other items is just too much for the company to handle. User experience of software is really suffering as of late. The offerings in Music and Cloud services is confusing. They need to get back on track.
    I don't subscribe to the sentiment at all but there is no sense arguing with irrational. The company leadership isn't a problem, software quality was going downhill years ago. This can be traced all the way back to iTunes expensing into other domains beyond music. Further if A company with Apples resources can't manage a car build we have issues more significant than anybody realizes. In some ways I'm fairly certain that they are in fact working to get back on track as they are fully aware of the various software shortcomings. This is why so much effort has been put into stabilizing Mac OS and pretty much freeing it from bugs.
    patchythepirate
  • Reply 27 of 62
    http://https//d3nevzfk7ii3be.cloudfront.net/igi/a6ObRygp5fnDuoLS.huge

This is the downside of the 'rumored' iPhone 7 compared to iPhone 6s.
  • Reply 28 of 62
    https://d3nevzfk7ii3be.cloudfront.net/igi/a6ObRygp5fnDuoLS.huge

This is the downside of the 'rumored' iPhone 7 compared to iPhone 6s. lol
  • Reply 29 of 62
    sog35 said:

Blows my mind Apple can't make this iPhone without forehead and chin THIS YEAR.

What is wrong with them.  The Samsung S6 that came out last year has very small bezels and Apple can't match that TWO YEARS LATER?

I seriously don't understand what Apple is doing.

First in 2012/2013 they refused to make bigger screens and that costed them major sales to Samsung.
    Now in 2015/2016 they refuse to shrink bezels to make a more pocket/hand friendly phone.

Makes me sick that Apple has been a follower in design the last 4 years.
    There is no reason for Apple to follow Samsung or anyone else. I'm not sure why you even think this is important. What is important is that Apple innovates within its own requirements. We expect Apple to innovate not copy. Apple didn't refuse to make anything, what they did is take their time to do a large screen in an Apple manner. I suspect your sickness comes from believing what your are ranting about even if that rant has no basis in fact. Seriously take an objective look at the current iPhones and comparing them to what is currently on the market. Few if any outperform the iPhones nor offer the balanced features seen in iPhone. This isn't a fan boy speaking the evidence is out there for review.
  • Reply 30 of 62
    sog35 said:
    I agree with some of the sentiment here. Assuming this is close to reality I would almost like to see a slightly thicker iPhone to blend the camera hump in and expand the battery. Not a huge deal to me either way. However I am concerned with the leadership of this company. I am just wondering if diving into this car project and other items is just too much for the company to handle. User experience of software is really suffering as of late. The offerings in Music and Cloud services is confusing. They need to get back on track.
    I agree with your points.

Dumping so much money and resources into the car is stupid and wasteful. But what do you expect from a hardware guy like Tim Cook?  All Cook knows is hardware. And he sees the iPhone/iPad/Mac are close to saturation with only small growth remaining. So his solution is to make more hardware.

This is why I think Cook needs to be fired and replaced by a CEO who knows software and services. That is where the true growth of the company is.  Hardware can grow maybe 2-5% per year. But services can grow 20-30% per year for the next decade.

Tim Cook has done an excellent job ramping up iPhone production. But that story is over. Time for a new CEO for the next stage of Apple.

But without a new CEO I don't think Apple will be a serious threat in services.  Without a new CEO the old guard Apple executives will remain in positions they have no business being in. Eddy Cue has no business being the head of a potential $100 billion services division. The guy is just not good enough and his failures in iCloud, AppleMusic, and AppleTV prove it. But no way Cook fires him or the other Apple executives that deserve to be replaced.

1. Cook needs to be fired or demoted to COO
    2. Apple needs to hire a CEO with a strong services background. One who built his own services empire.
    3. Fire or demote half of the executives that have been underperforming like Eddy Cue
    4. Bring a new CO-design chief. Ive's designs have been tiresome and boring lately. Also remove all of Ive's responsibility with the UI. UI design needs to be done by user interface experts not an industrial designer. The UI by Ive may look pretty but if it isn't intuative its crap.

5. Hire a bunch of CEO level executives to head various services divisons:  iTunes, iCloud, Artificial intellegence, Siri, Data mining, and advertising.
    6. Stop the buyback and dividend. Then pledge $250 billion in the next 5 years to be spent on building and improving Apple services.
    If you believe this nonsense you have serious issues.  
    nolamacguymacplusplus
  • Reply 31 of 62
    wizard69 said:
    sog35 said:
    I agree with your points.

Dumping so much money and resources into the car is stupid and wasteful. But what do you expect from a hardware guy like Tim Cook?  All Cook knows is hardware. And he sees the iPhone/iPad/Mac are close to saturation with only small growth remaining. So his solution is to make more hardware.

This is why I think Cook needs to be fired and replaced by a CEO who knows software and services. That is where the true growth of the company is.  Hardware can grow maybe 2-5% per year. But services can grow 20-30% per year for the next decade.

Tim Cook has done an excellent job ramping up iPhone production. But that story is over. Time for a new CEO for the next stage of Apple.

But without a new CEO I don't think Apple will be a serious threat in services.  Without a new CEO the old guard Apple executives will remain in positions they have no business being in. Eddy Cue has no business being the head of a potential $100 billion services division. The guy is just not good enough and his failures in iCloud, AppleMusic, and AppleTV prove it. But no way Cook fires him or the other Apple executives that deserve to be replaced.

1. Cook needs to be fired or demoted to COO
    2. Apple needs to hire a CEO with a strong services background. One who built his own services empire.
    3. Fire or demote half of the executives that have been underperforming like Eddy Cue
    4. Bring a new CO-design chief. Ive's designs have been tiresome and boring lately. Also remove all of Ive's responsibility with the UI. UI design needs to be done by user interface experts not an industrial designer. The UI by Ive may look pretty but if it isn't intuative its crap.

5. Hire a bunch of CEO level executives to head various services divisons:  iTunes, iCloud, Artificial intellegence, Siri, Data mining, and advertising.
    6. Stop the buyback and dividend. Then pledge $250 billion in the next 5 years to be spent on building and improving Apple services.
    I think Sog needs professional help.
    icoco3nolamacguymacplusplus
  • Reply 32 of 62
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    sog35 said:

Galaxy S6, S6 Edge
    Sony Xpertia X
    HTC 10
    LG G5
    Nexus 6P
    Motorola X Pure
    Except no one with an iPhone gives those designs a second look. Think of it like a BMW owner. They couldn't care less what Hyundai is doing.
    icoco3nolamacguy
  • Reply 33 of 62
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    macxpress said:
    sog35 said:
    So basically the iPhone 7 will be the iPhone 6s part 2?

I mean WTF Tim Cook. You seriously going to release the same phone THREE YEARS IN A ROW?

I mean wow...because Steve Jobs never did that. Never mind the iPhone 4-5S looked the same (with different internals each time). If you're so much against Tim, sell your stock and go elsewhere.
    4 and 5 didn't look the same, at all.
  • Reply 34 of 62
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    sog35 said:

those people will not hesitate to go back to Android, much more so than someone who always owned iPhones.

Except there are no numbers to support that claim. Switchers are pretty much a one way street from Android to iPhone. A little Googling will bear that out. App developers comment that they get many emails saying that the user switched from Android to iPhone wondering if they have to buy the app again for iOS and almost no one asking the inverse. I think you are just making shit up to fit your fire Cook agenda.
    icoco3banchonolamacguy
  • Reply 35 of 62
    tkell31tkell31 Posts: 216member
    Bottom line is the rumored changes don't seem like they will get sales growth started again and its an almost certainty this release will fall short of prior releases.  The question then becomes where will sales level off or will they continue to erode?  Neither seems like an investors dream scenario. 

Cook will sell it as the best iPhone yet, and he will be right, just not right enough for people to buy it in the numbers Apple will need.  Doesn't mean they aren't making great products, but they will need more than a better camera and thinner phone to bring investors back.

Overall Cook seems like a terrible steward of the company.  The watch was much ado about nothing.  It really looks like he's put all his eggs in the iPhone basket and doesnt want to take a realistic look at where sales of the golden goose are going.

• Reply 36 of 62
    clemynx said:
    macxpress said:

I mean wow...because Steve Jobs never did that. Never mind the iPhone 4-5S looked the same (with different internals each time). If you're so much against Tim, sell your stock and go elsewhere.
    4 and 5 didn't look the same, at all.
    Huh? Eveveryone on rumor and tech sites were calling the iPhone 5 a "stretched iPhone 4S". A LOT of people thought they looked the same.
    6Sgoldfish
  • Reply 37 of 62
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member
    volcan said:
    sog35 said:

Galaxy S6, S6 Edge
    Sony Xpertia X
    HTC 10
    LG G5
    Nexus 6P
    Motorola X Pure
    Except no one with an iPhone gives those designs a second look. Think of it like a BMW owner. They couldn't care less what Hyundai is doing.
    They change the looks on the outside but still have junk inside.  I have an iPhone not for the looks but for the horsepower and total package.  I use an Otter Box so couldn't care less about the exterior looks of the phone, can't see it anyway.
  • Reply 38 of 62

sog35 said:
    wizard69 said:
    Why?

Would you hire a CEO who has no idea about the business he runs?

Tim Cook knows nothing about services. That is a FACT.  The future grow of Apple is all about services.
    I'm glad someone like you, who is in complete panic mode isn't running Apple. You'd have Apple go against everything it stands for in order to please hedge funds and fickle investors.
    icoco3nolamacguy
  • Reply 39 of 62

tkell31 said:
    Bottom line is the rumored changes don't seem like they will get sales growth started again and its an almost certainty this release will fall short of prior releases.  The question then becomes where will sales level off or will they continue to erode?  Neither seems like an investors dream scenario. 

Cook will sell it as the best iPhone yet, and he will be right, just not right enough for people to buy it in the numbers Apple will need.  Doesn't mean they aren't making great products, but they will need more than a better camera and thinner phone to bring investors back.

Overall Cook seems like a terrible steward of the company.  The watch was much ado about nothing.  It really looks like he's put all his eggs in the iPhone basket and doesnt want to take a realistic look at where sales of the golden goose are going.

The watch was much ado about nothing? Says who? A lot of people bagged on the 1st gen iPhone too. Let's come back to this post 5 years from now and see where Watch is.
    nolamacguy
  • Reply 40 of 62
    wdowellwdowell Posts: 226member
    This leak matches up with that photo of the factory screen. It resembles the styling of a previous (was it the iphone 6) leak software leak, running Windows XP (in classic mode) in a factory. Every time people cry that it's not real. "Fake" etc. 'Apple would never.." and then 6 months later... They're on stage and boom. it's real.