Neil Patrick Harris shows off 'Hey Siri' in Apple's latest iPhone 6s ad

Posted:
in iPhone edited May 2016
Actor Neil Patrick Harris has once again joined Apple to promote the iPhone 6s, this time in a new TV ad where the Oscar and Tony host dictates notes to his iPhone using its "Hey Siri" handsfree capabilities.

In the new 30-second ad, Harris prompts his phone to read a saved memo from the Notes app using only his voice. Siri responds accordingly, allowing Harris to freshen up his tuxedo and practice the speech without touching the iPhone 6s.

The ad ends with a joke regarding the robotic nature of Siri's voice, as Harris tells the mirror he'll "be a lot more natural."

Harris was the one handing out an award in the last iPhone 6s ad, which focused on the high-resolution 4K camera and its filmmaking capabilities.

Apple has mostly chosen to focus on individual iPhone 6s features in ads for its latest-generation smartphone. The company previously spotlighted handsfree "Hey Siri" capabilities in an ad that featured a very different type of celebrity than Harris --?Sesame Street's Cookie Monster.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Siri has been pissing me off lately.

I hope iOS 10 gets a HUGE Siri revamp. She's more frustrating than useful right now. ESPECIALLY on Apple TV where we find ourselves doing everything manually to avoid the dumb voice assistant.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    No @sog35, but your comment allows me to guess some things about you.
    edited May 2016 messagepad21002oh1nolamacguypaxmanmoreckjackansi
  • Reply 3 of 15
    sog35 said:
    anyone want to guess why Cook choose Harris?

Same reason he picked Cookie Monster.
    mike12oh1nolamacguypaxmancalimoreck
  • Reply 4 of 15
    dacloodacloo Posts: 890member
    cali said:

I hope iOS 10 gets a HUGE Siri revamp. She's more frustrating than useful right now. ESPECIALLY on Apple TV where we find ourselves doing everything manually to avoid the dumb voice assistant.
    Amen. Siri is completely useless to me, both on mobile and AppleTV. I've recently experienced the alternatives (Amazon's assistent thingie and Cortana) and I get the impression these are a bit ahead of Siri (but still annoying).
    cali
  • Reply 5 of 15
    beltsbearbeltsbear Posts: 314member
    sog35 said:

So who deleted SOG35's comment?
  • Reply 6 of 15
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    beltsbear said:

So who deleted SOG35's comment?
    Maybe the mods who are tired of his always borderline homophobic comments...?
    2oh1nolamacguywaverboymoreckpscooter63
  • Reply 7 of 15
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    sog35 said:

He's well-liked, has a good on-screen presence, and a good sense of humour?

In other words, exactly the same reasons they picked Cookie Monster.
    moreck
  • Reply 8 of 15
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    sog35 said:

I blocked sog because he's a raving lunatic. but if he's going to inject his fear of/obsession with homosexuality into every thread via Cook, the mods should block his sorry troll ass. 
    paxmanwaverboyjackansi
  • Reply 9 of 15
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    dacloo said:
    cali said:

Amen. Siri is completely useless to me, both on mobile and AppleTV. I've recently experienced the alternatives (Amazon's assistent thingie and Cortana) and I get the impression these are a bit ahead of Siri (but still annoying).
    Siri is a nightmare on Apple TV sometimes.

They unveiled Viv a few hours ago. Looks really good!
    xzu
  • Reply 10 of 15
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member
    I blocked sog because he's a raving lunatic. but if he's going to inject his fear of/obsession with homosexuality into every thread via Cook, the mods should block his sorry troll ass. 
    I though Sog was just trolling on Tim Cook for purely business reasons.  That comment of his completely changed my tune about him.  It's obvious he has issues with homosexuality.  Something tells me his closet is getting smaller and sooner or later, he's going to have to come out of it.

It's not like he had any cred.  He had zero.  Now, however.. he's the lowest of the low.  What a jerk.
    edited May 2016 jackansi
  • Reply 11 of 15
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Actor Neil Patrick Harris has once again joined Apple

That was extremely generous of him.  Anyone else would probably have asked to be paid.

• Reply 12 of 15
    512ke512ke Posts: 782member
    Siri is better than it was -- which is very positive -- but still needs development.

I hate it when I'm driving and Siri tells me, I'm sorry but something has gone wrong, I can't complete your requests right now!

i didn't see the comment but I really think homophobia has no place on these forums -- or anywhere else for that matter. 
  • Reply 13 of 15
    tricheNCtricheNC Posts: 1member
    That ad sets off my Siri every time!  Scary & intrusive! Does it happen to anyone else?
  • Reply 14 of 15
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    I get the point of this commercial. And people love Neil Patrick Harris. But this ad seems somewhat elitist to me. Who really identifies with a celebrity actor rehearsing a Hollywood award acceptance speech? 

I've always felt Apple's ads are always strongest when they show their average customers getting mileage out of their products. Show me a kid rehearsing his speech for student council. Show me a young man rehearsing his wedding proposal. Show me a mom rehearsing a speech for her parents 50th wedding anniversary.

One of the most amazing commercials Apple ever did was the kid who everybody thought was a loner, but was actually creating a beautiful movie about his family at the holidays. Those are messages that can resonate with everybody, and bring utility from Apple products into their own lives.