Messaging service WhatsApp launches desktop app for Mac

Posted:
in Mac Software edited May 2016
Popular messaging service WhatsApp on Tuesday debuted its first native desktop client for Mac, introducing users to yet another comprehensive multi-platform solution that will compete with Apple's own Messages product.

Like its Windows counterpart, also released today, WhatsApp for Mac acts as an extension to existing mobile services, syncing conversations and messages between multiple devices to bridge the gap between multiple platforms. It also makes the service readily accessible from more machines.

The Facebook subsidiary announced the desktop client in a blogpost earlier today.

The app is native to OS X, meaning users running OS X 10.9 and above can enjoy full support for message push notifications, keyboard shortcuts and other advanced integrations. As with competing services, WhatsApp syncs across devices, meaning users to receive and respond to messages on the platform of their choosing.

Today's release comes one month after WhatsApp stepped up user security by implementing end-to-end encryption across all communications channels including group messaging and file transfers. The firm activated full encryption for one-on-one text messages in 2014, a feature also available for VoIP calls.

WhatsApp for Mac is available now and can be downloaded directly from the company's website. Setup is similar to WhatsApp's web client and requires users to scan a presented QR code using WhatsApp on iPhone.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    macseekermacseeker Posts: 545member
    Not for me. I have a strange feeling that facebook reads the messages.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    TomETomE Posts: 172member
    macseeker said:
    I have a strange feeling that I will regret anything that FaceBook produces.  I have no intention of using FaceBook products when the rules of the game (use) seem to change at a whim.  I value my privacy - time will tell.
    lostkiwi
  • Reply 3 of 14
    I have a WA account from pre-FB times.  I barely use it nowadays.  I won't be installing this app, but do have the Line Mac app, which works very well.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    And it's a total piece of shit. There are far superior products out there. Just like Facebook, it's built by coders who have no idea how to build a quality Apple-like product.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    My kids will be happy ... I think. But who the hell knows. 
  • Reply 6 of 14
    EsquireCatsEsquireCats Posts: 1,268member
    This is not a company I would ever trust with my personal or professional communications. Why? Becuase they're full of shit. In their short life they have flipped then flopped nearly every major business decision in order to suit their strategy of the day.

For example:
    Whatsapp started free, then switched to an annual subscription model (but grandfathered free accounts in), then back to free again.

They stated numerously that they would never, ever, be on the desktop. "A mobile only platform."

Only to launch on desktop Chrome with Android. While simultaneously stating that Apple's restrictions prevent them from making an equivalent feature for iOS. Stating that they'll never, ever release an iOS equivalent of the feature.

Only to release an equivalent feature for desktop Safari with iOS. And now they even have a native desktop client.

So no I would never trust this company. Their "end-to-end" encryption of today, will be their "man-in-the-middle" of tomorrow.

Markus Persson(of minecraft fame) summarised it perfectly when he said "Facebook is creepy". In their short lifespan have shown they will make any change possible to improve profit, invade the user's privacy and surreptitiously gather data on people who don't even use their service. They are Google number 2.
    wonkothesanelostkiwichiaicoco3
  • Reply 7 of 14
    GrimzahnGrimzahn Posts: 64member
    The app requires my phone to be reachable and uses the bandwith of my mobile data. 

Pointless junk. Im sticking with iMessage.
    macmichiel
  • Reply 8 of 14
    Lol... The devil is in the green bubble... One of the biggest tragedies in the history of mankind is that mankind does not learn from history. People give their life away in the blink of an eye to Google, Amazon, Facebook, What's app, etc, etc... The herd can act pretty stupid !
  • Reply 9 of 14
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,560member
    macseeker said:
    At least according to what they're saying, they can't. Kind of the point of end-to-end encryption. 

I don't trust Facebook as far as I can throw them, but they have no reason to outright lie about this. They still have Facebook Messenger for data mining. 

Also, the "free then paid then back to free" was only on Android, and it pre-dated ownership by Facebook. IIRC, android users had at some point to pay a nominal yearly fee of 80 cents. Once Facebook bought WA, they dropped the cost IIRC. On iOS, the app cost a dollar, the end. 
  • Reply 10 of 14
    Grimzahn said:
    The app requires my phone to be reachable and uses the bandwith of my mobile data. 

Pointless junk. Im sticking with iMessage.

I'd prefer to stick with iMessage and the integrated SMS service. 

Unfortunately, the world doesn't necessarily work by what I'd prefer. WhatsApp stays. :(
  • Reply 11 of 14
    "Still its not Apple approved software. why its official app not comes on Mac app store ?
  • Reply 12 of 14
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    This is awesome. Whether I like it or not, I get alot of messages over Whatsapp, and it's always been annoying as I have to read/respond on my phone compared to an iMessage which can be responded to from my Mac. This addresses that.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    rezwitsrezwits Posts: 879member
    Finally, now I'll use whatsapp
  • Reply 14 of 14
    slurpy said:
    This is awesome. Whether I like it or not, I get alot of messages over Whatsapp, and it's always been annoying as I have to read/respond on my phone compared to an iMessage which can be responded to from my Mac. This addresses that.
    WhatsApp has been available from a generic web browser (I use Safari) for quite some time, now:

https://web.whatsapp.com