Lower MacBook sales push Apple down to sixth place in laptop marketshare

Comments

• Reply 21 of 50
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    hungedu said:
    The 12" Retina Macbook with no significant updates was a nail in the coffin for Mac sales this year. People have other choices now, like the new HP Spectre that sports multiple USB-C ports and is just as thin.
    You know Apple makes more than one laptop right?
    ration alsteveh
  • Reply 22 of 50
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    How to play the game:

"MacBook sales are down because <insert pet peeve here>."

ration alsteveh
  • Reply 23 of 50
    redstaterredstater Posts: 49member
    It looks like Windows 10 did successfully stop the bleeding for PCs. Windows 8 was so bad that enterprises and consumers refused to upgrade. Because they are STILL trying to tie their mobile strategy to their desktop OS, Windows 10 isn't as good in terms of UX as Windows 7 - even if it is better in other areas - but at least you are able to use it to get work done without pulling your hair out. When Microsoft finally gives up on mobile - and based on these numbers it won't be long http://www.zdnet.com/article/android-sales-surge-at-the-expense-of-windows-phone-and-ios/ - then they will finally come out with an OS that is as good as Windows 7 was.
  • Reply 24 of 50
    schlackschlack Posts: 719member
    Original MacBook Air started at $1799. My guess is people are waiting for new MacBook Pros with Skylake.
    You're debating Dollars while Ireland is debating Euros, not to mention MacBook Air vs. MacBook.. The MacBook should start from $899.
    But you CAN get a NEW one for $999 with no tax. Ok, the design is a year old, but only a few months ago, everyone was saying it should be $999...and now it is. Tons of deals like this popping up on eBay/B&H/Adorama.
  • Reply 25 of 50
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Original MacBook Air started at $1799.

It's competition was shitty netbooks. MacBook has far more competition including tablets and Surgafe and even thinner laptops for less money. It's a different time.
  • Reply 26 of 50
    redstaterredstater Posts: 49member
    cropr said:
    Original MacBook Air started at $1799. My guess is people are waiting for new MacBook Pros with Skylake.
    I did not wait.  3 weeks ago we needed a new developer machine in my company and I bought an Ubuntu based Dell XPS 13 with Skylake processor.  It is difficult to understand why Apple has yet to launch a Macbook Pro with Skylake processor while other vendors have similar systems since end last year in their portfolio
    Does this question really need to be asked? Simple: Apple controls the entire stack both hardware AND software. Dell, Lenovo, HP, Acer, Samsung and the rest are able to just get an operating system - Windows, Linux, Android, ChromeOS - and slap it on their hardware. They will actually sell the exact same hardware configurations with different operating systems, and would even sell dual or even triple boot systems with multiple operating systems if the software companies let them. If Microsoft or Google allowed these companies to sell multi-boot devices with Windows 10, Ubuntu 15, ChromeOS and/or even Jide Android on them, that is exactly what they would do, and moreover that is what everyone would buy. Google should have long ago started formally selling dual-boot or dual purpose Ubuntu/ChromeOS devices as that is what a ton of people are informally doing anyway but hey this is Google we are talking about, and other than buying Android - whose success has much more to do with Samsung than Google by the way - and buying YouTube and I suppose Chromecast, isn't very smart. Maybe now that Google has finally decided to go ahead and have a formal hardware division with the former Motorola CEO running it, they will do it. Apple on the other hand actually needs to tune the next version of OS X to fit Skylake. And unlike the other OEMs, they actually have new operating system features of their own to roll out to take advantage of the new hardware. Unlike Lenovo, Dell and the rest, who have to wait for Microsoft to put out the new features, which may or may not even work ideally - if it all - with their cookie cutter hardware. If there is a story here at all, then it may be that the trend of jumping from Windows to Mac after buying an iPhone or iPad and experiencing the Apple ecosystem for the first time has reached its saturation point.
    fastasleep
  • Reply 27 of 50
    Best way to say Apple to stop making such restrictive machine is not to buy them.

For the price of MacBook, only 1 port? The keyboard is even not as good as the one in other MacBooks ( Air/Pro ).
    Old MacBooks (white/black) and Pros had nice and easy way to upgrade memory/HDD.
    I don't think it was bad design-wise. Why does Apple keep making MacBooks and even Mac minis even more restrictive?
    What's the good thing of not having replaceable battery, upgradable memory and storage devices?
    Just to make MacBooks world-most-slim, is it good to remove such freedom?
    4GB for MacBook Air/Pro is too small for me. 8GB.. questionable, but their price jumps. 16GB? Right for me, but too expensive.
    Why not allowing buying memory and storage devices from 3rd parties or give us freedome to wait another year when price would drop. Then we can upgrade our machines at that time with newer memory and storage devices.
    Isn't it common sense we have had from 70's and 80's even 90's?

Just don't buy Apple's product if we love Apple's product. That's one good way to tell them what's right for customers.
    kermit4krazy
  • Reply 28 of 50
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    2 weeks ago we had the exact opposite info, so who do we trust hmm... Another BS narrative.
  • Reply 29 of 50
    SylvainLSylvainL Posts: 28member
    This is basically comparing OS X to Windows computers.

Apple is alone in is category, for me this is comparing two different things.

The Macbook 12 is a wonderful computer, I had one and returned it to the store and bought a Macbook Pro. Both laptops are the same price but the MBP is way more powerful.

People who buys MB 12, buy the laptop for its portability and form factor.

I guess the MB 12 will replace the Macbook Air in few years.
  • Reply 30 of 50
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    ireland said:
    Original MacBook Air started at $1799.

It's competition was shitty netbooks. MacBook has far more competition including tablets and Surgafe and even thinner laptops for less money. It's a different time.
    So the original MBA was priced like that just because? i'd like to think when Apple is purchasing products were goes into the decision than just what they think they can get away with.
  • Reply 31 of 50
    Herbivore2Herbivore2 Posts: 367member
    For someone who has essentially moved over to mobile platforms, I think the trends are going to get a lot worse. 

Apple sells many times more ipad pros than MacBooks. Makes no sense spending large amounts of Capex for machines that sell poorly. Even if the PC manufacturers sell more units, I suspect that their profits margins are likely far worse. 

The iPad Pro will become much more powerful and it's certain that iOS will gain better functionality. 

Within the next two generations, the iPad Pro will very likely perform at the level of a MacBook Pro. That's not a typo either. The mobile devices will perform on par with the best laptops. 

The day is coming when x86 is totally displaced by mobile devices of various form factors. It has already begun with the 12,000 workers at Intel being laid off. 

It is safe to say that there will be far more disruption regarding desktop computing. And Apple is simply at the fore front. 
  • Reply 32 of 50
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,152member
    cropr said:
    I did not wait.  3 weeks ago we needed a new developer machine in my company and I bought an Ubuntu based Dell XPS 13 with Skylake processor.  It is difficult to understand why Apple has yet to launch a Macbook Pro with Skylake processor while other vendors have similar systems since end last year in their portfolio
    Because the chipsets appropriate for the MBP are not out yet. The first products shipping with chips like the 6770HQ are just about to ship (Skull Canyon NUC for example). They have not been available til this quarter, which is exactly why you haven't seen MBPs out yet. That, and possibly the new dGPUs which are just about to be released. 

People don't understand that there are many variants of Skylake that have been rolling out since last year. 
    The released Skylake chipsets that have widely available from competitor products  since year, and have even been discounted for months, were entirely appropriate for an updated MBA.  Apple shot itself well and truly in the foot.  The rMB is too expensive and inflexible to replace the MBA in the MBA market, such as schools of example.  Apple should have released a Skylake MBA last year .  iIt didn't really even need to redesign it to sell heaps of them, although doing so would have goosed sales even more.  The MBA is probably still Apple's biggest selling mac.  
    edited May 2016 kermit4krazy
  • Reply 33 of 50

hungedu said:
    The 12" Retina Macbook with no significant updates was a nail in the coffin for Mac sales this year. People have other choices now, like the new HP Spectre that sports multiple USB-C ports and is just as thin.
    yeah I bought one.  Very good machine, even though trackpad is not MBP standard. And also two MBAs, even though they don't have skylake.  It is very hard to beat even an old design MBA as a great all round student device.
  • Reply 34 of 50
    ireland said:

So the original MBA was priced like that just because? i'd like to think when Apple is purchasing products were goes into the decision than just what they think they can get away with.
    When the original macbook air was at that price it was not a popular product.  Two years later it was redesigned and dropped down to the USD $1000 price point.  It became Apple's most popular mac.  So of course some dweeb exec wants to kill it.  
    kermit4krazy
  • Reply 35 of 50
    ireland said:
    The MacBook is a great innovation, but a single port computer with a 12" display shouldn't start at €1,499 here. Do you think that could be one of the reasons why they are selling less of them?
    Agreed, that was a pretty big blunder that they could've fixed with the refresh. Every single reviewer out there complains about not having a 2nd USB-C port, yet they do nothing. Sad to see Apple neglect their PC business. They need to also add a dang retina display to the Air series and not discontinue it. And to avoid cannibalism of their Pro line, they should make it a true Pro by having user replaceable memory and/or dedicated graphics. If Alienware can have it in their 11" laptops, then I'm sure Apple can squeeze in a version into their Pro 13" and 15" models. Done, fixed, watch sales soar!
    edited May 2016
  • Reply 36 of 50
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    linkman said:
    It would be interesting to know what the percentages by brand of laptops that are in use. I'm still using a MBP from 2009 and am quite happy with it (with RAM, SSD, and battery upgrades). At work I'm on my 3rd Dell Latitude during that period, and none of them were due to hardware failures but instead obsolescence.
    Wouldn't RAM and SSD help those Dell machines just as they did help your Mac..? Or is it company policy to refresh hardware every 3 or so years?
  • Reply 37 of 50
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    entropys said:
    Because the chipsets appropriate for the MBP are not out yet. The first products shipping with chips like the 6770HQ are just about to ship (Skull Canyon NUC for example). They have not been available til this quarter, which is exactly why you haven't seen MBPs out yet. That, and possibly the new dGPUs which are just about to be released. 

People don't understand that there are many variants of Skylake that have been rolling out since last year. 
    The released Skylake chipsets that have widely available from competitor products  since year, and have even been discounted for months, were entirely appropriate for an updated MBA.  Apple shot itself well and truly in the foot.  The rMB is too expensive and inflexible to replace the MBA in the MBA market, such as schools of example.  Apple should have released a Skylake MBA last year .  iIt didn't really even need to redesign it to sell heaps of them, although doing so would have goosed sales even more.  The MBA is probably still Apple's biggest selling mac.  
    Does anyone else thing that Apple should reshuffle their line?

As far as my personal opinion goes:

This 12" MB should be new Air.

11" Air should be dropped, 13" Air should receive Retina display and become mainstream MacBook (which it probably already is).

MBPro should do 14" and 17" machines. Or just a single 15.6" size.

I'm finding it strange that MacBook is smaller and lighter than MacBook Air. They should at least call it something like MacBook Nano, or MacBook Helium. The whole naming convention, as it is, is a bit deceiving.

• Reply 38 of 50
    SnRaSnRa Posts: 65member
    When it comes to size and potability, the 13 inch MacBook Air and 13 inch MacBook Pro are in DESPERATE need of a refresh.

Looking at the 13 inch sizing:

MacBook Air:
    • i7-5650U / HD 6000
    • 1440 x 900
    • 2.96 lbs
    MacBook Pro:
    • i7-5557U / HD 6100
    • 2560 x 1600
    • 3.48 lbs
    VAIO Z:
    • i7-6567U / HD 550
    • 2560 x 1440
    • 2.58 lbs

The VAIO Z weighs less than the MBA and is more powerful than the MBP.  What purpose does the MacBook Air have at all? A much slimmer and lighter MBP can simply replace the MBA.
  • Reply 39 of 50
    Here's hoping WWDC brings back the magic. Because everyone else has learned Apple's tricks and have been on the market with their equivalants almost a year by the time WWDC announcements get out the door in numbers.  Machines with the perfect balance of performance, form, flexibility and price.

Otherwise Apple really does only have iphone.  
  • Reply 40 of 50
    bestkeptsecretbestkeptsecret Posts: 4,265member
    SnRa said:
    When it comes to size and potability, the 13 inch MacBook Air and 13 inch MacBook Pro are in DESPERATE need of a refresh.

Looking at the 13 inch sizing:

MacBook Air:
    • i7-5650U / HD 6000
    • 1440 x 900
    • 2.96 lbs
    MacBook Pro:
    • i7-5557U / HD 6100
    • 2560 x 1600
    • 3.48 lbs
    VAIO Z:
    • i7-6567U / HD 550
    • 2560 x 1440
    • 2.58 lbs

The VAIO Z weighs less than the MBA and is more powerful than the MBP.  What purpose does the MacBook Air have at all? A much slimmer and lighter MBP can simply replace the MBA.

Why did you paste the picture of a MacBook Pro and airbrush VAIO on it?