RBC, CIBC & other Canadian banks launch support for Apple Pay

2»

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 33
    ericthehalfbeeericthehalfbee Posts: 4,324member
    While I'm thrilled about this, I've been reading that RBC requires you to download their crappy Wallet app in order to authenticate a card with Pay, WTF???

    None of the other banks I've read about, not even AMEX in Canada, has this ridiculous requirement... Is this for tracking purposes or some form of device advertising monetization??? I was momentarily considering getting RBC accounts and CC's in order to get Pay, but that just killed RBC for me for good! They haven't changed one bit, still a bunch of a sleeze bags they've always been!

    I guess I might wait for the other banks, or perhaps even the credit unions, to come online with this...

    A co-worker is on RBC and he didn't have to do anything. I think it might have been because he uses his RBC card with iTunes so it was already "verified".
  • Reply 22 of 33
    jamesnayjamesnay Posts: 14member
    uk nino said:
    I have an iphone 6 I bought in Switzerland, with the latest version of iOS. Currently I live in the UK and I have an account with the bank Lloyds and Visa from this bank. But I can not use Apple Pay. I went into an Apple Center, and I was told I had to buy an iPhone in UK for it to work !! Why ??
    It might be that your regional setting in settings > general > language and region is set to Switzerland and not the UK.  Try changing it and restarting your iPhone and see if you can add cards to Wallet.  Apple uses this setting to often determine which features and apps to allow the user to use/install.  Let us know if it works!
    lostkiwichia
  • Reply 23 of 33
    jony0jony0 Posts: 347member
    Let the church bells ring
    Let the children sing

    I always thought the biggest hangup was our all too
     greedy bank cartel, although it was probably a reason as well. I'm not sure why Interac mattered so much, after all, not all banks are in yet, so who cares if debit cards aren't there at launch.

    CIBC Visa went smoothly, the card was automatically prompted since it was already registered for Apple ID. 
    MasterCard required a call but the rep said it wasn't an MC vs Visa issue, just a random glitch that happened with some Visa cards as well, although large volume of first day activation could've been part of it, as well as extra verification to avoid early overly optimistic activation of fraudulent cards like in the US. Lessons learned perhaps.
    edited May 2016
  • Reply 24 of 33
    uphilluphill Posts: 49member
    At last! Once a few banks, especially big ones like CIBC implement this, most of the others will quite quickly want to jump on the wagon too.

    Not surprised Canadian Tire is one of the first group after Amex. They are a very aggressively competitive retailer, and go out of their way to get customers.

    I have a Canadian Tire Gas discount credit card, and get up to 10 cents per litre discount with the card (about 38 cents per US gallon) so I'm very pleased!
  • Reply 25 of 33
    I have RBC, CIBC.  Today I set up RBC and CIBC on iPhone and Apple Watch. With regards to RBC I may have missed, on entering the card, the opportunity to use the default iTunes choice - which was the RBC credit card.  So I downloaded the wallet and then it was easy peezy as it connected behind the scene so to speak.  I could delete RBC wallet app but I like the Gift Card feature there that lets me scan them and use them anywhere and frankly I like how it gives me details on my CC use only without the other banking information.  I can bring RBC Mobile Web up on demand in Safari anyway so I did deleted the other RBC mobile app that was on my phone for all my banking.  As for CIBC - no wallet was required for CC or Debit card. I did need the token code for each of the iPhone and iPad which arrived by email (text was not an option iirc).  Tested the Apple Watch and iPhone 6s  and all are good to go.  Now I wait...for June ?? with first use at Starbucks.
  • Reply 26 of 33
    jony0jony0 Posts: 347member
    macxpress said:
    Good...now people can stop whining about the lack of Canadian ApplePay support! 
    Ironically the whining was mostly frustrations of Canadians venting to fellow Canadians, usually only on articles pertaining to Pay delays in Canada, presumably written to inform Canadians. The whining was not aimed at Americans, Apple, AI or its commenters but mostly towards our banking cartel. The frustrations were concerning the overwhelmingly ready infrastructure already in place for a decade here in Canada, particularly in contrast to the vastly ineffectual state of POS terminals of our American counterparts.

    The mounting disappointment was further exacerbated as we had to also bear, in subdued silence, especially after every single Pay article extolling newly added banks, the incessant and ongoing whining of our friends from the south about the low acceptance rate of retailers due to their self-inflicted antiquated infrastructure.
     
    brucemc
  • Reply 27 of 33
    jamesnayjamesnay Posts: 14member
    jony0 said:
    macxpress said:
    Good...now people can stop whining about the lack of Canadian ApplePay support! 
    Ironically the whining was mostly frustrations of Canadians venting to fellow Canadians, usually only on articles pertaining to Pay delays in Canada, presumably written to inform Canadians. The whining was not aimed at Americans, Apple, AI or its commenters but mostly towards our banking cartel. The frustrations were concerning the overwhelmingly ready infrastructure already in place for a decade here in Canada, particularly in contrast to the vastly ineffectual state of POS terminals of our American counterparts.

    The mounting disappointment was further exacerbated as we had to also bear, in subdued silence, especially after every single Pay article extolling newly added banks, the incessant and ongoing whining of our friends from the south about the low acceptance rate of retailers due to their self-inflicted antiquated infrastructure. 

  • Reply 28 of 33
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    jony0 said:
    Let the church bells ring
    Let the children sing

    I always thought the biggest hangup was our all too greedy bank cartel, although it was probably a reason as well. I'm not sure why Interac mattered so much, after all, not all banks are in yet, so who cares if debit cards aren't there at launch.

    CIBC Visa went smoothly, the card was automatically prompted since it was already registered for Apple ID. MasterCard required a call but the rep said it wasn't an MC vs Visa issue, just a random glitch that happened with some Visa cards as well, although large volume of first day activation could've been part of it, as well as extra verification to avoid early overly optimistic activation of fraudulent cards like in the US. Lessons learned perhaps.
    I only added my card which was already on file with iTunes, but process was simple and fast.  Paid a number of times now with Apple Watch - super convenient!  

    Most places I shop seem to allow up to about $100 for contactless payments, so majority of my credit purchases will be via Apple Watch going forward.  Hopefully with Canada's widely deployed contactless payment terminals the usage here will surpass the US, on a per-user basis, once all the big 5 get on board.
  • Reply 29 of 33
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,331member
    mknelson said:

    It's likely just a one-time thing to set up the card.

    For CIBC I had to either call CIBC or get enter a one-time code that was emailed to my confirmed email account.

    Download Wallet, authenticate, delete wallet. done!

    But this type of verification is not necessary... With AMEX, we are sent a one-time verification code to our SMS, copy and paste it, done! RBC is making us jump thru unnecessary hoops going to the App Store, download THEIR wallet app, just to authenticate something can be done within Pay itself? This is the anti-thesis of what Pay was meant to be!


    Not saying authentication isn't needed, in fact I'm all for it, but do it within the iOS Wallet app, where verification methods are natively supported, and don't make the customer jump thru hoops just to add a card! It goes against what Pay was meant to be!
    Agreed, and this bullshit is to be expected from RBC. Their "wallet" app is completely useless, and is didn't shock me that they tried hard to create a more convoluted way to accomplish something compared to natively, by downloading a shitty app. 

    PS- Where did you disappear to in Slack? :pensive: 
  • Reply 30 of 33
    uphilluphill Posts: 49member
    edmtrekker wrote: "Now I wait...for June ?? with first use at Starbucks."

    I've used ApplePay at Starbucks in the Toronto area for months now. Not that I much like their coffee, but it is not as bad as others like Tim Horton's. Sometimes it is convenient.

    I am able to use ApplePay at almost any place now that has contactless machines. There is a 
    little cafe at an apple orchard out in the middle of the country down a minor sideroad in King Township that accepts it but didn't know they did. I enjoy surprising cashiers when I pay with my phone.
    jamesnay
  • Reply 31 of 33
    jamesnayjamesnay Posts: 14member
    jony0 said:
    macxpress said:
    Good...now people can stop whining about the lack of Canadian ApplePay support! 
    Ironically the whining was mostly frustrations of Canadians venting to fellow Canadians, usually only on articles pertaining to Pay delays in Canada, presumably written to inform Canadians. The whining was not aimed at Americans, Apple, AI or its commenters but mostly towards our banking cartel. The frustrations were concerning the overwhelmingly ready infrastructure already in place for a decade here in Canada, particularly in contrast to the vastly ineffectual state of POS terminals of our American counterparts.

    The mounting disappointment was further exacerbated as we had to also bear, in subdued silence, especially after every single Pay article extolling newly added banks, the incessant and ongoing whining of our friends from the south about the low acceptance rate of retailers due to their self-inflicted antiquated infrastructure.
     

    Sorry what I meant to say was:  From one Canadian to another... well put jony0 :)
  • Reply 32 of 33
    jamesnayjamesnay Posts: 14member
    slurpy said:

    But this type of verification is not necessary... With AMEX, we are sent a one-time verification code to our SMS, copy and paste it, done! RBC is making us jump thru unnecessary hoops going to the App Store, download THEIR wallet app, just to authenticate something can be done within Pay itself? This is the anti-thesis of what Pay was meant to be!


    Not saying authentication isn't needed, in fact I'm all for it, but do it within the iOS Wallet app, where verification methods are natively supported, and don't make the customer jump thru hoops just to add a card! It goes against what Pay was meant to be!
    Agreed, and this bullshit is to be expected from RBC. Their "wallet" app is completely useless, and is didn't shock me that they tried hard to create a more convoluted way to accomplish something compared to natively, by downloading a shitty app. 

    PS- Where did you disappear to in Slack? :pensive: 

    Quite a few of the Big 5 have been developing their own mobile wallets for some time now and I'm sure those departments upon getting onboard with ApplePay don't want their creation to appear dead on arrival so they're forcing their customer base to use a third party app to perform a native function.  It makes no sense to the user or anyone except the RBC leadership that sees it as an opportunity to force their customers into downloading an otherwise useless app on the iOS platform in order to force a increase in their user base.  Then they get to say: "See our customers are using our mobile app and it was worth all those investment dollars that we spent."
  • Reply 33 of 33
    Actually, with Apple Pay in Canada, which I just found out today, is that it can be used anywhere in Canada that supports Interac Flash. So, regardless of the retailer and whether they support Apple Pay, they automatically do through Interac. Just tried it out at my local grocery store. The majority of Canada is ready to go. Guess that helps make the delay a little easier to to stomach. Built in Interac support for Apple Pay. 

    It's in here too: http://interac.ca/en/applepay
Sign In or Register to comment.