Apple's 'iPhone 7 Plus' rumored to use 3GB of RAM for dual-camera image processing

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 36
    LPmagooLPmagoo Posts: 5member
    It seems like Apple and everyone else has run out of Wow factors to add to the Phones....Less antennae lines, Water resistant, and No headphone jack....sure does not inspire me to get the next iPhone....I think even the 6S was a MEH?
  • Reply 22 of 36
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    tzeshan said:
    Another problem with putting better camera only on the plus is with the gender.  More women use plus iPhone than the men.  
    link to your data. otherwise you're just making things up. 
    waverboy
  • Reply 23 of 36
    LPmagoo said:
    It seems like Apple and everyone else has run out of Wow factors to add to the Phones....Less antennae lines, Water resistant, and No headphone jack....sure does not inspire me to get the next iPhone....I think even the 6S was a MEH?
    you're apparently operating on the mistaken impression that you're supposed to get a new phone every year. you aren't. do you upgrade your home receiver or TV? why not, there's a new model every year. same thing. 

its a maturing product category. 

that at being said, there will be improvements and innovations. there always are. it's iterative improvement. that's how we get from the specs and capabilities of the 2007 model to today's. 
    caliwaverboy
  • Reply 24 of 36
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,286member
    prof said:
     sure ... and how technically incompetent can one be to claim such nonsense ... and why the hell does AI not refute that?
    Kind of hard to refute a rumor about a feature on product that doesn't exist yet. As for DSLR, I agree. Smart phones don't come even remotely close to the quality of a DSLR. It's impossible with the sensors currently in phones. 
    Not to mention lens selection and quality.
  • Reply 25 of 36
    tzeshan said:
    blastdoor said:

I think the relative comparison is to the 6, since that's the thing that will be two years old. The 7 will be faster than the 6s which was faster than the 6, so there's that. It might be more waterproof-ish than the 6 -- that could entice some. The camera can still be better than the 6 without being dual-lens. 

But the biggest reason of all -- wear and tear. Users whose 6 is getting beaten up (I know my 6+ is) will want to buy a new iPhone, the only question is which model. That's one of the great things for companies that sell smartphones -- they aren't sitting safely on a desk somewhere, they are out there being dropped, shoved into lint-filled pockets (which gunks up connector ports), and being lost in cabs. Even if technology were to freeze, the replacement cycle would still be pretty good. The fact that technology does not freeze is the icing on the cake. 
    I could not see a good reason why Apple associate a better camera only with the larger screen plus models.  It seems the reason is to be able to charge $100 more.  Apple is failing because its management is too obsessed with profit margins. The same reason Apple kept the basic model at 16 GB.  
    Said the CEO of a company that went out of business because they don't make a profit. That would make Apple the first company to go out of business by making a large profit.
    Profits=existence, Losses=bankruptcy.
  • Reply 26 of 36
    tzeshan said:
    Another problem with putting better camera only on the plus is with the gender.  More women use plus iPhone than the men.  
    Actually, a pretty accurate observation. I too see the + sized phones with women more often than I see them used by men. When I ask them about it, they say the screen size is great and most of the time they have a purse to store it in.
    redraider11
  • Reply 27 of 36
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    tzeshan said:
    Even if true, what does that have to do with anything? Women love taking pictures. 
    edited May 2016 nolamacguy
  • Reply 28 of 36
    redstaterredstater Posts: 49member
    blastdoor said:
    Going 4GB hurts profit margin that's why..
    Oh, I dunno.... I think Apple just makes different tradeoffs than the Android guys. Apple has much faster NAND than most Android guys, which reduces the need for more RAM (because terminated apps can be quickly loaded). Faster NAND isn't cheap. 
    Except that the same - or very similar - NAND that goes into iPhones also goes into flagship Android phones. And Apple has even bought NAND from Android manufacturers in the past and will do so again in the future: http://www.macrumors.com/2016/04/20/samsung-apple-nand-2017/ Look, the reason why iPhones required less RAM than Android phones was the vertical integration of the hardware and software plus Android's Java Virtual Machine being a resource-hog. That hasn't changed. What has changed is multi-tasking. Doing it - and doing it while retaining the freedom from lag, stutter and crashes that iPhone fans expect - takes a lot of horsepower. Another thing that requires it: large HD displays. Even then, the 3 GB of RAM for the iPhone is half the 6 GB of RAM that the Samsung Galaxy Note 6 will require, with the other Android manufacturers likely to follow suit as they always do. But high-speed RAM is now relatively cheap, so there is no reason not to use it. Asus put 4 GB of RAM in a phone that cost $299 last year. Granted, it was slower RAM that gets used in iPhones and flagship Android phones, but it still performed similar to most good Android phones with 2-3 GB of fast RAM, and that was with the Intel SOC. IF there is a downside to using more RAM, it is the impact on battery life. Big deal: stop making phones paper thin. The ultra-thin thing got a lot of oohs and aaahs and accompanying sales back with the iPhone 5 and iPad Air, but folks are long past it. It is better to give people more performance, more features and a big battery in a package that will still be as thin as the iPhone 5 was.
    waverboycnocbui
  • Reply 29 of 36
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    LPmagoo said:
    You're talking like you've seen and used an iPhone 7. Can you enlighten us?
  • Reply 30 of 36
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    tzeshan said:
    Actually I swear I saw a statistic on this. Can't remember where and not bothered enough to look either.
  • Reply 31 of 36
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    Strange this means Apple will be using the same LPDDR4, I was expecting 3GB / 4GB in 2017 with LPDDR4x, which allows double the capacity at same memory capacity again before we move to Wide I/O  2 or 3.

Apple may push the Megapixel race in Camera Phone again.
  • Reply 32 of 36
    bestkeptsecretbestkeptsecret Posts: 4,265member
    What? No "striking resemblance to Bender"?
    nolamacguy
  • Reply 33 of 36
    raz0rraz0r Posts: 28member
    blastdoor said:
    Going 4GB hurts profit margin that's why..
    Oh, I dunno.... I think Apple just makes different tradeoffs than the Android guys. Apple has much faster NAND than most Android guys, which reduces the need for more RAM (because terminated apps can be quickly loaded). Faster NAND isn't cheap. 
    More RAM is currently not really needed on an iPhone, realistically. Apps written in Java take roughly 2-3x the memory to run when compared to apps written in Swift. So Android really does need additional RAM for an identical set of apps. And lets be honest, Apple was never one to push out a phone for the specs, so there's simply no need to add more (at this time).
  • Reply 34 of 36
    Apple need to put a Indicator Light on the front of the phone & a bigger Camera. The flash on the back can be Used but I'll love to see that on the front & that'll be great!!!!!
  • Reply 35 of 36
    mike1 said:
    Actually, a pretty accurate observation. I too see the + sized phones with women more often than I see them used by men. When I ask them about it, they say the screen size is great and most of the time they have a purse to store it in.
    so you don't have any real data either. got it.