Rumor: Apple's 2017 iPhone will be radical redesign with Touch ID, FaceTime camera & speaker embedd

Comments

• Reply 21 of 50
    hmlongcohmlongco Posts: 536member
    Someone remind me again, what were the major highly significant innovations that Samsung introduced going from the 5 to the 6 to the 7? One of them had a curved thing, right?

I mean, face it. The smartphone market is maturing rapidly, and spec bumps (processor, ram, camera, battery, etc.) are pretty much all we're going to be getting in the future.

(At least until someone shoves a working tricorder in there...)

That's going to be the nature of all phones, Apple and Samsung alike.
    edited May 2016 Rayz2016likethesky
  • Reply 22 of 50
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    hmlongco said:
    Someone remind me again, what were the major highly significant innovations that Samsung introduced going from the 5 to the 6 to the 7? One of them had a curved thing, right?

I mean, face it. The smartphone market is maturing rapidly, and spec bumps (processor, ram, camera, battery, etc.) are pretty much all we're going to be getting in the future.

(At least until someone shoves a working tricorder in there...)

That's going to be the nature of all phones, Apple and Samsung alike.

Mmm ...

Maybe a new cell radio and the exploiting software and services that you "must have".

• Reply 23 of 50
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,956member
    Crap, I am on the "tock" cycle in our family. New phone for me this fall; wife gets the really new one in 2017.
  • Reply 24 of 50
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    Crap, I am on the "tock" cycle in our family. New phone for me this fall; wife gets the really new one in 2017.

Look into the iPhone Upgrade Program -- saves money over outright purchase or carrier subsidy -- and you can upgrade free every 12 months.  Tick-tock cycle becomes a non-issue.

iPhone Upgrade Program

The iPhone Upgrade Program gives you an easier way to get a new iPhone every year, and the security and protection of AppleCare+. You’re even free to choose the carrier and rate plan that work for you.

Get a new iPhone every year.

After 12 payments, you can get a new iPhone and start a new iPhone Upgrade Program. No more waiting for your carrier contract to end. Just trade in your current iPhone for a new one, and your new program begins.

Unlocked. With the freedom to choose your carrier.

When you buy iPhone with the iPhone Upgrade Program from apple.com, you can activate your phone on a personal plan with AT&T, Sprint, or Verizon. You can also activate with T-Mobile when you buy from the Apple Store. Once your iPhone is activated, it will remain unlocked, so it can be used with any carrier that provides service for iPhone. And you can switch carriers whenever you like.

Low monthly payments.

You can spread the cost over 24 months, with the option to get a new iPhone after 12 payments.1

AppleCare+ means you’re covered.

With AppleCare+ included, you get up to two years of hardware repairs, software support, and coverage for up to two incidents of accidental damage — such as screen and liquid damage, and accidental drops.2

The iPhone Upgrade Program is financed through Citizens One Personal Loans. Subject to eligibility.

1. The iPhone Upgrade Program is available to qualified customers with a credit check and eligible U.S. credit card. Requires a 24-month installment loan with a 0% APR from Citizens Bank, N.A. (subject to any interest, fees, or other costs payable to the issuer of the credit card), purchase of AppleCare+, and iPhone activation with one of these national carriers: AT&T, Sprint, or Verizon. Activation on T-Mobile available in Apple Retail Stores. Sales tax and any applicable fees due at time of purchase. Full terms apply.
    2. AppleCare+ for iPhone provides coverage for up to two incidents of accidental damage from handling. Each incident is subject to a service fee plus applicable tax ($79 for iPhone SE, iPhone 6 or earlier models, $99 for iPhone 6s or iPhone 6s Plus).

http://www.apple.com/shop/browse/overlay/iphone/upgrade_program
    edited May 2016
  • Reply 25 of 50
    isteelersisteelers Posts: 738member
    I don't buy it. The iPhone 7 will look different and have at least one new key feature (maybe more) to separate it from the 6/6s outside of the normal enhancements like CPU and camera.  The shell will have more changes than getting rid of the antenna lines shown in renderings. 
  • Reply 26 of 50
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member
    Apple does need to do something to push the boat out a bit. The iPhone came a long way up to the iPhone 4 and then stalled. We need something amazing.
    6Sgoldfish
  • Reply 27 of 50
    6+ is such a great phone it would take more battery and less top & bottom bezel to get me to upgrade otherwise I'll keep it for a total of 4 years
  • Reply 28 of 50
    EsquireCatsEsquireCats Posts: 1,268member
    I think one thing is clear: this is the least that we've ever heard about an upcoming iPhone in recent years. Previously we'd know the full design and nearly all specifications by about now. Apple have definitely upped the secrecy and planting of false information this time around.
    Rayz2016
  • Reply 29 of 50
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Sorry, but who the hell can get excited about a new iPhone in 18 months, 2 generations from now? Strange that these major changes are not coming in the next model, since the 2017 model is supposed to be the "S" model. 
  • Reply 30 of 50
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    I remember seeing the patent application for the behind the screen camera about five years ago. It will shoot "between the pixels" somehow. And finally we'll be able to actually look forward into each others' eyes during FaceTime calls.
    And the step after that is a 3D display and 3D FaceTime cameras. 

We've wanted an iPhone with all these elements integrated, can't believe that they are doing it all at once. Then again, if there's one company able to do it, it's Apple. 
    edited May 2016
  • Reply 31 of 50
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    evilution said:
    Apple does need to do something to push the boat out a bit. The iPhone came a long way up to the iPhone 4 and then stalled. We need something amazing.
    How has it stalled? If anything, it improved A LOT after the 4. The A7 processor was a momentous improvement in processing progress, Touch ID hasn't  really been equaled by others, Apple's the only one using 7000 series Aluminium in a phone and 3D touch will eventually be replicated by everyone else.

Those are only a few of the major improvement Apple has rolled out lately.

I don't get these kinds of declarations.
  • Reply 32 of 50
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,302member
    If the rumors about a lackluster upgrade for the iPhone 7 are true, Samsung can begin to import a lot of champagne.
  • Reply 33 of 50
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member

Those renders look odd. For a start, the first one has three copies of the Camera app icon on the one screen.

Also, not clear what the row around the home button achieves. Looks like it's a subset of the Control Center panel. Don't know why they'd do that.

I do think they'll be able to do a virtual TouchID using haptic feedback at some point, but not sure even next year it will be ready. (Still, what do I know?) the idea of "embedding" the speaker in the screen by cutting a hole in the display for it doesn't feel right. Having the speaker under the screen, and somehow conducting sound through the screen would be more "Apple" than leaving an ugly looking hole.

Still, we shall see. I may have to take advantage of the "New Phone Feeling" option on my account if it's that big a change next year. (For me not to upgrade at the end of my contract this year, both my existing phone needs to stop playing up, and the new phone really needs to be much less interesting. 3D Touch was almost enough for me to upgrade early last year, but not quite.)

• Reply 34 of 50
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    I think one thing is clear: this is the least that we've ever heard about an upcoming iPhone in recent years. Previously we'd know the full design and nearly all specifications by about now. Apple have definitely upped the secrecy and planting of false information this time around.
    slurpy said:
    Sorry, but who the hell can get excited about a new iPhone in 18 months, 2 generations from now? Strange that these major changes are not coming in the next model, since the 2017 model is supposed to be the "S" model. 
    EsquireCats is right. What we're seeing here is the rumour mill trying to buy itself an extra year. From what I've read no one seems at all sure what's going into the 2016 model: smart connector; no smart connector; smart connector but only on the big screen model; headphone jack; no headphone jack…

But page clicks still need to be generated, so the best thing to do is write off this year and start making up stuff about 2017. If you're totally wrong about your predictions then you can simply say that Apple changed its mind due to some fictitious engineering failure. If you get this year's prediction wrong then you have less scope to do that. 

• Reply 35 of 50
    This is definitely not going to be a year for iPhone 7. I do like the iPhone S2 naming, but I do believe Apple will change the name of the iPhone to match the simplicity of its products like Watch vs iWatch which was heavily rumoured. Apple Phone maybe? It would be great to shift the design to three years as well so the design would actually look exciting and take advantage of newer processes in manufacturing and engineering. 
  • Reply 36 of 50
    Cobra101Cobra101 Posts: 22member
    2016=Fail.

230 billion and no innovation.

I REALLY miss Steve Jobs.

Cook needs to go!
    edited May 2016
  • Reply 37 of 50
    knowitallknowitall Posts: 1,648member
    A model like this is a minimum requirement, for this year that is.
  • Reply 38 of 50
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Just an FYI, the stock has again broken below its 52-week low and may fall to 90 or lower today. Apple needs to make a real splash with the next phone and jumping several generations ahead of their knockoff competitors would be a great way to do it.
    StimulatedBoy
  • Reply 39 of 50
    Cobra101Cobra101 Posts: 22member
    Just an FYI, the stock has again broken below its 52-week low and may fall to 90 or lower today. Apple needs to make a real splash with the next phone and jumping several generations ahead of their knockoff competitors would be a great way to do it.
    SEEMS ike the next phone will be the same old same old..
  • Reply 40 of 50
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Cobra101 said:
    SEEMS ike the next phone will be the same old same old..
    Stock just hit $89.89. If Apple isn't buying now for their buyback program, the entire board of directors should be fired.