Manhattan DA calls on US Congress to support bill requiring mandatory decryption

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 38
    Vance claimed that the strong encryption used in platforms like Apple's iOS 9 and Facebook's WhatsApp creates "warrant-proof devices," in which criminals can act without being worried about government surveillance.

Try this:
    Replace "warrant-proof" with "surveillance-proof"
    and "criminials" with "the public".

spliff monkey
  • Reply 22 of 38
    drdeadedrdeade Posts: 6member
    Simple: 
    Every government and non-government employee who wishes to access anyone's information must guarantee through legal binding agreement that they will not violate any of Americans Constitutional Rights or Rights guaranteed under the Bill of Rights with out due process under penalty of Death!  Should they violate their rights that person and their family will forfeit all government payment, retirement and may be forced to pay back all previous annual salaries dating back 10 years!!!

Let's see how many attorney's are willing to gamble their lives vs. their advancement!  
  • Reply 23 of 38
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    drdeade said:
    under penalty of Death
    Hmm... I wonder if we couldn’t expand the definition of treason to include violation of the Constitution by a government official...
    icoco3
  • Reply 24 of 38
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    drdeade said:
    under penalty of Death
    Hmm... I wonder if we couldn’t expand the definition of treason to include violation of the Constitution by a government official...

It would require a constitutional amendment, since treason is explicitly (and rather narrowly) defined in the original articles.

from Article III

---

Section. 3.

Treason against the United States, shall consist only in levying War against them, or in adhering to their Enemies, giving them Aid and Comfort. No Person shall be convicted of Treason unless on the Testimony of two Witnesses to the same overt Act, or on Confession in open Court.

The Congress shall have Power to declare the Punishment of Treason, but no Attainder of Treason shall work Corruption of Blood, or Forfeiture except during the Life of the Person attainted.

---

Including it in the constitution is considered to have been designed to prevent successive governments from redefining it to suit a political objective, the way it has been used by some countries to suppress opposition to the government.

tallest skil
  • Reply 25 of 38
    eideardeideard Posts: 428member
    There are historic reasons why it's called a police state.  Starting with running a society at the behest, whim, pleasure of the police.
    jasenj1ration al
  • Reply 26 of 38
    postmanpostman Posts: 35member
    Cyrus Vance Junior is a political hack and an ignoramus particularly regarding the importance of end-to-end encryption and personal privacy. I live in New York City, and I can't wait until the next election when we can vote this idiot out of office. He originally got elected on the coat-tails of his esteemable father Cyrus Vance Senior, but has proven over and over again that he is nothing like his dad, and has embarrassingly lousy judgement.

Remember Dominique Strauss-Kahn the former French politician who was arrested for raping an immigrant maid in his hotel room years ago? And how Vance screwed that up big time and had to let the guy go? Same clown.
    jasenj1ration al
  • Reply 27 of 38
    waltgwaltg Posts: 90member
    This guy is a complete idiot! I'm really surprised he can even write....
  • Reply 28 of 38
    jasenj1jasenj1 Posts: 923member
    We should pass a law that only English can be used to communicate in the USA. Because if people use some foreign language - like Nepali - the police may not be able to "decrypt" the communications and thus hinder an investigation.
  • Reply 29 of 38
    Eric_WVGGEric_WVGG Posts: 968member
    Every time I see that guy's name in the news it makes my blood boil. 

Attempted murder and he lets some jerk off with a $250 fine. http://www.streetsblog.org/2014/10/22/da-cy-vance-250-fine-for-motorist-accused-of-deliberately-striking-cyclist/

He thinks he’s a character from a goddamned Michael Mann movie and would rather be sparring with Tim Cook than dealing with the mundanity of the actual problems that face New Yorkers. 
  • Reply 30 of 38
    rhoninrhonin Posts: 60member
    foggyhill said:
    How the frack do you do that?
    They want all financial transactions to be sent in a way that can be compromised at any time?
    They want an universal key for all encryption in every app, tunnel and OS?
    They want to make the use of encryption without that universal key illegal?

Is the War on encryption going to fill prisons left vacant after the war on drugs has been declared moronic?

Why not another useless "war".!

That's a totally garbage declaration; up there with demanding a mandatory lobotomy.
    It totally amazes me how out of touch with technology and reality these folks are.
    "Apple, this iPhone has encrypted files on it from several apps.  Decrypt it."
    "Google, this Note 5 is encrypted.  Decrypt it.  Whose encryption you ask?  DOn't know.  Decrypt it."
    and that is just the start.... Can they say Banking?  On Line shopping?
  • Reply 31 of 38
    technotechno Posts: 737member
    Now they want access to our phone. Next it will be our minds. Bring in the pre-cogs.
  • Reply 32 of 38
    My favorite argument is how wifi changes its encryption keys every 60 minutes. Net gear and linksys got a free pass. They are not being asked to retain your cipher like Apple is. You can't really brute force the wifi stream because each time interval uses a different key then all the other time intervals.  One hour requires a millinea separate from any other hour. These are called rolling keys. If we're going to ask apple to hold onto keys and be able to decrypt phones then companies that make wifi equipment should retain all the wpa key renewals for every single wifi router they sell 

your wifi password is not the same key that is used to encrypt traffic. 

If people had more technical knowledge about how their wifi networks work they would get upset 

it's not fair for some people to say we don't need encryption because we do not sell drugs but don't say a word about their military grade wifi encryption that changes its keys between 24 to 48 times a day. 

Its not not fair to say we don't need your wifi keys because we can tap your isp or check your computers. Then say oh yeah we need to hack your phone in addition to all the iTunes and iCloud stuff we can already get 

edited May 2016
  • Reply 33 of 38
    stevehsteveh Posts: 480member
    eideard said:
    There are historic reasons why it's called a police state.  Starting with running a society at the behest, whim, pleasure of the police.
    More correctly, in one where the police operated solely at the direction of the government without limit.
  • Reply 34 of 38
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    jasenj1 said:
    We should pass a law that only English can be used to communicate in the USA. Because if people use some foreign language - like Nepali - the police may not be able to "decrypt" the communications and thus hinder an investigation.
    If they outlawed gibberish, they'd have to take down their own government or even themselves...
    edited May 2016
  • Reply 35 of 38
    If more people in the government and law enforcement knew how wpa 2 aes worked and the differences between pre shared key and enterprise they would ban the sale and use and possession of the equipment. Because it hampers investigations and allows the terrorists to win 
    edited May 2016
  • Reply 36 of 38
    Why is it that so many people support the government's right to enter someone's home (with a warrant), but not their cell phone?  Can someone explain that to me? 

Imagine if a criminal could construct a home with impenetrable walls. . .  would it then be OK that the police could not enter it, even with a warrant?
  • Reply 37 of 38
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Why is it that so many people support the government's right to enter someone's home (with a warrant), but not their cell phone?  Can someone explain that to me? 

Imagine if a criminal could construct a home with impenetrable walls. . .  would it then be OK that the police could not enter it, even with a warrant?
    If you build a straw man argument, you always win.... That's what you did.

When you compromise one house (get inside), do you compromise all houses, all mail and every single device inside all houses too?  No you don't.
    You weakens security (all schemes like that do) when asking for this, even when there is NO WARRANTS.

Key management for the encryption of all your data, then falls into the hands of companies, criminals and government agents of whatever jurisdiction they're under, not your own, only you roll out your own encryption. Not all countries have the same type of protection for their citizens as the US does (and even the US is iffy considering how some surveillance warrants were easy to get in the Patriots act).

Finally, crooks can, and will roll their own encryption if this goes through. Or use phones from abroad with different laws with their own encryption will be used in the US by them. There are 1B Iphone with encryption alone in the world; how long do you think those will all be out of commission: at least 10 years. Even if they use no encryption at all, just coded messages in the clear, it is still unlikely they'd catch them before hand (like in Paris when they simply used SMS and burner phones).

What will happen is that everyone's communications and data will be compromised with absolutely nothing gained in catching criminals : AKA useless overreach by someone who doesn't really understand the issue.

There,  you got your answer.

I can also built my own straw man you know.
    If they could access your brain eventually, would you give that access? Why not? If they have a warrant they should have access to that don't you think (sic).

edited May 2016
  • Reply 38 of 38
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    Hey Vance, go fk yourself! That's all I have to say about that...