Oklahoma City Apple Store to get 'next generation' design makeover

Posted:
in General Discussion edited May 2016
As part of an international effort to refresh the look and feel of its retail outlets, Apple recently shut down the Penn Square Mall Apple Store in Oklahoma City, Okla., in preparation of a "next generation" renovation.

A custom 37-foot display dominates the Saddle Creek Apple Store in Memphis, Tenn.

According to city planning documents unearthed by The Oklahoman, Apple is spending more than $2.5 million on the upcoming Penn Square renovation. The storefront closed on April 18 and retail operations will continue at a temporary location until construction is complete.

While specific build details were not disclosed, the build cost suggests Apple intends to include the mammoth 37-foot TV display that sits as a centerpiece at some newer Apple Stores. Custom built, the gigantic installation is estimated to cost about $1.5 million, and was first introduced to the U.S. market when a Memphis, Tenn., Apple Store received a makeover in March.

Along with the bespoke display unit, the Penn Square location is expected to boast a new open space concept dreamed up by retail chief Angela Ahrendts and CDO Jony Ive. The design features illuminated ceilings, new wooden tables and specialized accessory display cabinetry dubbed "The Avenue," among other amenities.

The Penn Square Apple Store was the company's first brick-and-mortar shop to open in Oklahoma. A satellite location was later built in Tulsa.

Given the turnaround time on recent Apple Store renovations, the Penn Square outlet should reopen in time for the busy holiday shopping season.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    Can they do this in Minnesota soon please.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    latifbplatifbp Posts: 544member
    Is this Apple making a bid for KD to stay in OKC?
    edited May 2016 levimr.scott
  • Reply 3 of 6
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Just in time for holiday shopping season? When now?
    edited May 2016
  • Reply 4 of 6
    I've read the stories, but pretending that I haven't, I'm guessing that Apple's "new and improved" stores... • ...will have something attention-getting and flashy (as in an enormous video surface). • They will also take ten percent of whatever it is that millions of people love and use regularly, and throw it away because it is not new enough. (In addition, they will limit face time with tech support people - what no Genius Bar?) • They will also limit options (as in reducing the SKU count of non-Apple branded products and reducing the range of peripheral services, such as free training). • The new stuff they introduce will be extremely appealing to 10% of customers and annoying to at least 30% of customers. • In five years they will totally rework everything all over again (which will be around a year after they fire the chief of brick-and-mortar retail). • Each store will have one employee in a red shirt with an extra 10% charity surcharge.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    mr.scottmr.scott Posts: 124member
    About freaking time. Compared to the MS store just a few stores down, it looked pretty pathetic. Terrible lighting, no open space to walk though and the lack of reachable third party products ( having to go through wondering employees and customers) was just plain bad. Just hope its billed up to the new concept hype. Just wonder how many other share my opinion on this store.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    I've read the stories, but pretending that I haven't, I'm guessing that Apple's "new and improved" stores... • ...will have something attention-getting and flashy (as in an enormous video surface). • They will also take ten percent of whatever it is that millions of people love and use regularly, and throw it away because it is not new enough. (In addition, they will limit face time with tech support people - what no Genius Bar?) • They will also limit options (as in reducing the SKU count of non-Apple branded products and reducing the range of peripheral services, such as free training). • The new stuff they introduce will be extremely appealing to 10% of customers and annoying to at least 30% of customers. • In five years they will totally rework everything all over again (which will be around a year after they fire the chief of brick-and-mortar retail). • Each store will have one employee in a red shirt with an extra 10% charity surcharge.
    just don't quit your day job.