Apple in violation of EU guidelines for mobile chargers/cables

Posted:
in Genius Bar
In 2014, the EU mandated a single standard for charging all mobile phones, to eliminate what was estimated to be 51,000 tonnes of electronic waste generated every year in just the EU.

The standard has been followed by EVERY SINGLE manufacturer of phones, EXCEPT Apple. Pretty much every phone other than the iPhone today uses USB-Micro as a standard way of charging. Chargers and cables can be used interchangeably across all these phones, and many other electronic devices.

Apple also has the unique distinction of having the lousiest quality of Lightning cables - which fray at the end within a few months of use. Obviously, this is an easy way for Apple to make obscene amounts of profits. Apple mandates that third party lightning cables should be MFI certified. And if you go on Amazon.com, you will find a lot of cables that purport to carry this certification, but don't. As a customer, we end up getting shortchanged and we are forced to pay Apple's ridiculous prices just to avoid an unsupported cable message at some awkward time.

I am hoping the EU will make an example of Apple, and penalize them so significantly that it will be a deterrent measure even for a company like Apple sitting on hundreds of billions of dollars of cash. Slap them with several billion dollars fine!

And more than that, I hope that someone initiates a class action lawsuit against Apple for its pricing and policies on cables.

Believe me, there will be many customers who would laugh with pleasure when Apple loses a massive class action suit in this regard!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Are you sure the directive says that the socket on the phone has to be micro USB and not that the cable has to be USB compatible?  There are now several Android phones with USB-C sockets on the phone.  My daughters iPhone lightining cable terminates in a USB plug so it can be used with, say, my Nokia phone charger that has a USB socket on it.

I completely agree with you about Apple and their crap cables.  The insulation on the power cable for my RMBP is falling apart, and this is the second cable/adapter I have had.  The first one I had replaced under warranty for the same issue.  Unbelievably shoddy and I think it deserving of a recall program.

A several thousand dollar device and this is the second cable to fall apart.

edited May 2016
  • Reply 2 of 8
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    macarena said:
    In 2014, the EU mandated a single standard for charging all mobile phones, to eliminate what was estimated to be 51,000 tonnes of electronic waste generated every year in just the EU.

The standard has been followed by EVERY SINGLE manufacturer of phones, EXCEPT Apple. Pretty much every phone other than the iPhone today uses USB-Micro as a standard way of charging. Chargers and cables can be used interchangeably across all these phones, and many other electronic devices.

Apple also has the unique distinction of having the lousiest quality of Lightning cables - which fray at the end within a few months of use. Obviously, this is an easy way for Apple to make obscene amounts of profits. Apple mandates that third party lightning cables should be MFI certified. And if you go on Amazon.com, you will find a lot of cables that purport to carry this certification, but don't. As a customer, we end up getting shortchanged and we are forced to pay Apple's ridiculous prices just to avoid an unsupported cable message at some awkward time.

I am hoping the EU will make an example of Apple, and penalize them so significantly that it will be a deterrent measure even for a company like Apple sitting on hundreds of billions of dollars of cash. Slap them with several billion dollars fine!

And more than that, I hope that someone initiates a class action lawsuit against Apple for its pricing and policies on cables.

Believe me, there will be many customers who would laugh with pleasure when Apple loses a massive class action suit in this regard!
    Is this a change from the 2009 memo, which was not mandatory, and referred more specifically to the charger, and not to the cable as long as an adaptor is available?

Definitely agree on the quality of Apple's Lightning cables though.  I like the Juicies cables, much more robust.
    edited May 2016
  • Reply 3 of 8
    macarenamacarena Posts: 365member
    Check out Wikipedia article about this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_external_power_supply

Explicitly mentions Micro-USB-B as the standard for the Cables. But if the manufacturer provides an adapter or cable from Micro-USB-B to any proprietary format, that is also acceptable.

To my knowledge, Apple doesn't provide such an adapter.

But the point is that Apple deserves some solid punishment for the criminal lack of quality and the equally criminal prices they charge for their cables. Plus the confusion around the MFI program.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,556member
    macarena said:

Explicitly mentions Micro-USB-B as the standard for the Cables. But if the manufacturer provides an adapter or cable from Micro-USB-B to any proprietary format, that is also acceptable.

Of course they do. I keep one in my bag.

it was linked to just above your post, too.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    macarenamacarena Posts: 365member
    spheric said:
    macarena said:

Looks like Apple covered themselves on that one - and got yet another chance to rip off people on $19! Amazing why this company would resort to such cheap things and create hatred even amongst people who otherwise like the company! They are making tons of money as it is, why try to make money off this sort of cheap behaviour?!
    gatorguy
  • Reply 6 of 8
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    macarena said:
    spheric said:

Looks like Apple covered themselves on that one - and got yet another chance to rip off people on $19! Amazing why this company would resort to such cheap things and create hatred even amongst people who otherwise like the company! They are making tons of money as it is, why try to make money off this sort of cheap behaviour?!
    I don't massively disagree, but they know that hardly anyone will buy them so there's no one watching or caring.  The main target of the 2009 EU memo was the power adaptor, not the cable, and Apple's adaptors are fully compliant, since any USB charging device can use them (until the new reversible USB port becomes the standard).
  • Reply 7 of 8
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,556member
    macarena said:
    spheric said:

Why are you complaining? Are you in the market for such an adapter? If not, what's the problem? I AM the market for such an adapter, and I actually bought one. I don't feel ripped off. In fact, I'm perfectly happy having bought the adapter - it's been useful once or twice so far, and it will last for a very long time. 

And Apple complied with the memo by making it available. End of story. 
    crowley
  • Reply 8 of 8
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    cnocbui said:
    Are you sure the directive says that the socket on the phone has to be micro USB and not that the cable has to be USB compatible?  There are now several Android phones with USB-C sockets on the phone.  My daughters iPhone lightining cable terminates in a USB plug so it can be used with, say, my Nokia phone charger that has a USB socket on it.

I completely agree with you about Apple and their crap cables.  The insulation on the power cable for my RMBP is falling apart, and this is the second cable/adapter I have had.  The first one I had replaced under warranty for the same issue.  Unbelievably shoddy and I think it deserving of a recall program.

A several thousand dollar device and this is the second cable to fall apart.

What do you guys do to your cables? I've never had a Lightning, 30-pin, or MagSafe failed on me, except for the MagSafe recall where the connector would short and catch fire, which actually happened to me. Apple gave me a new charger and I am using it to this day. I did have several puck charger cables fail with my PowerBook prior to that, but everything else has been perfect.

i am still using all of the original cables I received with all of my Apple products, starting with my 2007 iPhone. My iPhone in particular gives my Lightning connector a major workout in my car. Never once had a problem. 
    tallest skil