OLED iPhone with curved screen could appear in 2018, research forecasts

Posted:
in iPhone edited May 2016
Apple will ship an OLED iPhone with a curved screen in 2018, as part of a ramp-up of the company's OLED use beyond the Apple Watch, according to a new research forecast.

Even then, OLED models may make up 30 percent -- 100 million -- of estimated iPhone shipments for the year, said Lee Choong-hoon, the president and chief analyst of UBI Research, quoted by The Korea Herald. The ratio could grow to 80 percent by 2020, and outpace Samsung's own OLED adoption by 2021, he added.

The Herald recently claimed that Samsung won a three-year, $2.59 billion contract to supply Apple with 5.5-inch OLED panels beginning in 2017. Choong-hoon argued that Samsung is currently the only company that can meet Apple criteria, though LG and other display makers might eventually gain smaller order shares, given Apple's penchant for wanting multiple suppliers.

He speculated that while Samsung could command up to 60 percent of orders, LG might follow at 20 to 30 percent, with Japan Display and Foxconn possibly being other parties. Foxconn recently acquired Sharp, and Choong-hoon cited sources as saying that Foxconn recently bought an OLED production system from Canon Tokki.

KGI analyst Ming-Chi Kuo recently predicted that Apple might ship an iPhone with a 5.8-inch AMOLED display as soon as 2017. AMOLED has been used in many competing smartphones, but Apple may not have considered the technology good enough for its own purposes until recently. High-quality OLED panels can potentially be expensive, which may be one reason the Watch is the only Apple product with the technology so far.

It OLED models do only account for 30 percent of 2018 iPhone shipments, it could be because Apple will reserve the technology for "Plus" models, or simply because the first iPhones with the technology will only ship towards the end of the year.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 41
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    OLED, whatever, but I could care less or want a CURVED screen. It just makes it a bigger issue to hold onto. It really is just a Gimmick, and I hope Apple is better then that.
  • Reply 2 of 41
    hjmnlhjmnl Posts: 31member
    What's taking them so long? 2018? All other phone makers will have edge to edge oledscreens by then. Even the midrange phones will have.
    is it called the iPhone edge?  :s
  • Reply 3 of 41
    jason98jason98 Posts: 768member
    Hopefully iPhone will return to growth in 2018.
    iPad may take much longer to switch to OLED.
  • Reply 4 of 41
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Curved screen? That's an asinine thing for anyone to predict.
    cornchip
  • Reply 5 of 41
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    hjmnl said:
    What's taking them so long? 2018? All other phone makers will have edge to edge oledscreens by then. Even the midrange phones will have.
    Because not seeing the whole screen distortion and being failure proof is such a big advantage?

You do know that Apple sells a hell of a lot more of the high end phones than well anyone else.
    Who's going to build these 230M Oled phone, you're grandma?
    1983calianton zuykovcornchipfrantisek
  • Reply 6 of 41
    foggyhill said:
    hjmnl said:
    Because not seeing the whole screen distortion and being failure proof is such a big advantage?

You do know that Apple sells a hell of a lot more of the high end phones than well anyone else.
    Who's going to build these 230M Oled phone, you're grandma?
    Well, if others can do it, why not Apple? Oled have been there for years. They should have seen that coming and invest in the future. They're getting slow and behind the curve.
  • Reply 7 of 41
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    OLED is a gimmick.  OLED did not win praises for Apple Watch screens.  Show me Apple Watch reviews that praise its screen.  
  • Reply 8 of 41
    tzeshan said:
    OLED is a gimmick.  OLED did not win praises for Apple Watch screens.  Show me Apple Watch reviews that praise its screen.  
    If oled is a gimmick, why are all manufacturers switching to Oled? Have you seen OLED next to your iPhone screen? Tell me honestly what you prefer...
  • Reply 9 of 41
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member
    jbdragon said:
    OLED, whatever, but I could care less
    Couldn't care less.
    cnocbuicornchiprogue cheddar
  • Reply 10 of 41
    hjmnl said:
    tzeshan said:
    If oled is a gimmick, why are all manufacturers switching to Oled? Have you seen OLED next to your iPhone screen? Tell me honestly what you prefer...
    OLED color is artificial.  It is not high fidelity.  To use it in TV for entertainment is OK.  
    poksi
  • Reply 11 of 41
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member
    "Curved screen" gets thrown around too much.  Just tell me what that will offer to the usability of the phone before mentioning it again.
  • Reply 12 of 41
    SnRaSnRa Posts: 65member
    tzeshan said:
    hjmnl said:
    OLED color is artificial.  It is not high fidelity.  To use it in TV for entertainment is OK.  
    OLED, when calibrated, does not produce artificial looking colors.

From displaymate's Galaxy S7 review:

One very important capability of the Galaxy Smartphones that is often overlooked by many consumers and reviewers, is the set of user selectable Screen Modes. Most Smartphones and Tablets only provide a single fixed factory display Color Gamut and color calibration, with no way for the user to alter it based on personal preferences, running applications, or Ambient Light levels. A very important capability provided by the OLED Galaxy Smartphones is the implementation of Color Management that provides a number of user selectable Screen Modes, each with different Color Gamuts and levels of Color Saturation and display calibration based on user and application preferences. Color Management with multiple and varying Color Gamuts are a very useful and important state-of-the-art capability that all manufacturers will need to provide in the future.

The Galaxy S7 has four user selectable Screen Modes: Adaptive Display, AMOLED Photo, AMOLED Cinema, and the Basic Screen Mode, which matches the Standard sRGB / Rec.709 Color Gamut that is used for producing virtually all current consumer content. See this Figure for the Color Gamuts of the different tested Screen Modes and the Colors and Intensities section for measurements and details. Note that the Adaptive Display mode is the standard and factory default Screen Mode. Use Display Settings to switch between the three other available Screen Modes.

More information about each mode and the full review can be found on their webpage: http://www.displaymate.com/Galaxy_S7_ShootOut_1.htm

cnocbui
  • Reply 13 of 41
    icoco3 said:
    "Curved screen" gets thrown around too much.  Just tell me what that will offer to the usability of the phone before mentioning it again.
    The writers are payed by Samsung marketing to make impression on iPhone users that Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge is better to coerce switchers.  
  • Reply 14 of 41
    SnRa said:
    tzeshan said:

More information about each mode and the full review can be found on their webpage: http://www.displaymate.com/Galaxy_S7_ShootOut_1.htm

See?  This is why OLED is artificial.  The colors are fake most of the time.  Display is dishonest saying all manufacturers will need to provide in the future.
  • Reply 15 of 41
    tzeshan said:
    SnRa said:

See?  This is why OLED is artificial.  The colors are fake most of the time.  Display is dishonest saying all manufacturers will need to provide in the future.
    You know damn well what you're saying is rubbish. Go pollute elsewhere you troll.
    hjmnl
  • Reply 16 of 41
    poksipoksi Posts: 482member
    hjmnl said:
    tzeshan said:
    OLED colours are bonkers. So, iPhone.
  • Reply 17 of 41
    poksipoksi Posts: 482member
    Such 'forecasts' can be made by any idiot.....wait...  :D
  • Reply 18 of 41
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Trust me. We have seen LG curved screen phone and marketplace(means buyers) didn't like it much. Unless different kind of curve(wich not sure what it is ?), Apple not going to make iphone with curved screen.
  • Reply 19 of 41
    wood1208 said:
    Trust me. We have seen LG curved screen phone and marketplace(means buyers) didn't like it much. Unless different kind of curve(wich not sure what it is ?), Apple not going to make iphone with curved screen.
    I think they're referring to something similar to the S7 Edge's curved display:

• Reply 20 of 41
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    tzeshan said:
    Huh? I didn't see one review that complained about the screen except that the sapphire screen was a bit more difficult to read. OLED is not a gimmick.
    hjmnl