MCX hits pause on Apple Pay competitor CurrentC, fires 30 workers

Posted:
in iPhone edited May 2016
The Merchant Consumer Exchange consortium, which previously enjoyed support from major retailers like Walmart, CVS, The Gap and more, has postponed plans to take its CurrentC mobile payments product nationwide.

According to MCX CEO Brian Mooney, near term development efforts have turned to building out other segments of the business like partnerships with financial institutions, reports TechCrunch.

"Utilizing unique feedback from the marketplace and our Columbus pilot, MCX has made a decision to concentrate more heavily in the immediate term on other aspects of our business including working with financial institutions, like our partnership with Chase, to enable and scale mobile payment solutions," Mooney said. "As part of this transition, MCX will postpone a nationwide rollout of its CurrentC application. As MCX has said many times, the mobile payments space is just beginning to take shape - it is early in a long game. MCX's owner-members remain committed to our future."

The CurrentC mobile payments platform has been in development since 2012, initially devised to sidestep credit card network fees by directly linking to customer bank accounts. Efforts took a turn when smartphone heavyweights Apple and Google launched their own branded digital wallets, namely Apple Pay and Android Pay, which threatened CurrentC adoption. In a bid to better position its product, MCX restricted consortium members from accepting competing systems at point of sale terminals, starting with Apple Pay in 2014.

After development setbacks and a postponed launch, retail partners are abandoning ship. Last year, Rite Aid and Best Buy broke from MCX convention and began accepting other NFC solutions, including Apple Pay, at certain stores.

Earlier today, Walmart announced plans to roll out its own payment system -- Walmart Pay -- to more than 500 stores across Arkansas and Texas.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 30
    baconstangbaconstang Posts: 1,107member
    Surprise surprise.
    doozydozensupadav03phone-ui-guycornchiptdknox
  • Reply 2 of 30
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    The disaster continues....
    phone-ui-guycornchiptdknoxnetmagejbdragon
  • Reply 3 of 30
    VisualSeedVisualSeed Posts: 217member
    I kind of saw this coming when Walmart did its own payment system despite being the primary backer of this.
    cornchiptdknoxnetmagejbdragon
  • Reply 4 of 30
    I'm shocked, shocked I tell you!!
    anantksundaramtdknox
  • Reply 5 of 30
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member
    I kind of saw this coming when Walmart did its own payment system despite being the primary backer of this.
    Typical of WalMart to push something to get others to pay for startup research then take what they liked and created their own payment system using almost identical features and processes. I wonder how close WalMart's junk is to the MCX junk and whether MCX tried patenting anything before WalMart copied it. 
    calidoozydozenbattiato1981waverboycornchiptdknoxjbdragonjony0
  • Reply 6 of 30
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Seriously how did MCX expect it's licensees to wait this long without accepting ApplePay?

Fred-Meyer was smart for being the first to accept ApplePay, I wonder who's still waiting?
  • Reply 7 of 30
    r00fus1r00fus1 Posts: 65member
    rob53 said:
    Typical of WalMart to push something to get others to pay for startup research then take what they liked and created their own payment system using almost identical features and processes. I wonder how close WalMart's junk is to the MCX junk and whether MCX tried patenting anything before WalMart copied it. 
    Stay classy, Bentonville! I guess you could just call MCX a "stalking horse" for Walmart - does Walmart still have the pull to make their WalmartPay successful?
  • Reply 8 of 30
    Apple Pay and Android Pay will cover 99% of humans with smartphones 
  • Reply 9 of 30
    r00fus1 said:
    rob53 said:
    Stay classy, Bentonville! I guess you could just call MCX a "stalking horse" for Walmart - does Walmart still have the pull to make their WalmartPay successful?
    It brings me great joy to see Walmart getting hammered by Amazon
  • Reply 10 of 30
    supadav03supadav03 Posts: 503member
    As happy as I am about this, I still think Current-C was a better option than every retailer having "_____ Pay". Walmart announces theirs and Target is following suit with a QR code system. It's just going to get so much worse before it gets better. 
  • Reply 11 of 30
    jakebjakeb Posts: 562member
    Currentc must have been the most depressing place ever to work. Knowing you're building something that is completely pointless. 
    baconstangcornchiptdknox
  • Reply 12 of 30
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    What a failure and waste of money. 
    anantksundaramtdknoxbancho
  • Reply 13 of 30
    supadav03 said:
    As happy as I am about this, I still think Current-C was a better option than every retailer having "_____ Pay". Walmart announces theirs and Target is following suit with a QR code system. It's just going to get so much worse before it gets better. 
    Really?! Better option? Have you ever used Apple Pay? Paying with Apple Watch (or iPhone) it takes a second to do a very very secure transaction where no tapping, no scanning, no waiting required.
    tdknoxrobin hubernetmagenolamacguy
  • Reply 14 of 30
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,960member
    Thank god. Maybe CVS, who I am forced to use by my medical insurance, will finally take Pay. 
    tdknoxnetmage
  • Reply 15 of 30
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    macintown said:
    supadav03 said:
    Really?! Better option? Have you ever used Apple Pay? Paying with Apple Watch (or iPhone) it takes a second to do a very very secure transaction where no tapping, no scanning, no waiting required.
    He's talking about first party "-Pay" systems. 
    diplication
  • Reply 16 of 30
    tylerdtylerd Posts: 33member
    macintown said:
    supadav03 said:
    @macintown ; - I think that @supadav03 's point is that Current-C is better than having a bunch of retailer specific payment options (Walmart-Pay, Target-Pay, Macy's-Pay, etc.). Neither of those options hold up to OS specific options such at ApplePay and AndroidPay. We all agree on that.
    diplication
  • Reply 17 of 30
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,286member
    macintown said:
    supadav03 said:
    Every retailer having their own unique and incompatible pay system is actually the worst option for consumers and will slow adaptation of better alternatives like Apple Pay. 
  • Reply 18 of 30
    rcponercpone Posts: 20member
    Walmart Pay? Ick! What's next, TargetPay, Jack-in-the-box Pay, McDonald's Pay, Whole Foods Pay, Kroger Pay, Safeway Pay, and on and on...
    coolfactor
  • Reply 19 of 30
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    Keep fighting NFC payment, MCX. Never give up. /s
    tdknox
  • Reply 20 of 30
    supadav03supadav03 Posts: 503member
    tylerd said:
    macintown said:
    @macintown ; - I think that @supadav03 's point is that Current-C is better than having a bunch of retailer specific payment options (Walmart-Pay, Target-Pay, Macy's-Pay, etc.). Neither of those options hold up to OS specific options such at ApplePay and AndroidPay. We all agree on that.
    Sorry I wasn't clearer. This is exactly what I meant. Sad truth is, every merchant wants to control the experience from start to end, so they will all take their shot at solutions before finally realizing NFC payments is the way to go. 
    coolfactor