Previewing Apple's WWDC 2016: Big news for iOS 10, iPhone 7, new iPad Pro

Comments

• Reply 21 of 71
    Dan_DilgerDan_Dilger Posts: 1,583member

ajl said:
    Does someone know the typeface of the WWDC16 image above?
    monospace San Francisco
  • Reply 22 of 71
    hjmnlhjmnl Posts: 31member
    melgross said:
    macxpress said:

Apple give attention to the Mac? Hahahahaha!!!!

Its their forgotten platform! :(
    Is that why they came out with an entirely new MacBook last year?
    Well they came out very late in comparison to the competition. Not talking about no Mac Pro since 2013 or soldered ram in the iMac with 5400 rpm!!!! hard drive. Premium prize usually means better in any way. Not ripping your loyal customers off. They've lost the video market, what's next?
    pulseimages
  • Reply 23 of 71
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,284member
    My wishlist includes...

- Allowing full 360 degree rotation and landscape support on the homepages on all screen sizes, not just the Plus phones and iPad.
    - Please let me group contacts. It is the ONLY thing I hated giving up when I switched from Blackberry to my first iPhone years ago. I don't need or want all my work contacts listed in my general contact list.
    icoco3
  • Reply 24 of 71
    paul turnerpaul turner Posts: 222member

jlvelez1 said:
    "I think iOS on the iPad feels like a stretched out iPhone. 3rd party apps have done well designing their apps that takes advantage of the bigger screen but Apple at the OS level and their own apps have not. Lots of wasted space and not taking advantage of the big screen. That is what's keeping the iPad from really being a true laptop replacement and the Pro from being a true pro device. Apple needs to do better with iOS on the iPad." Agree completely. Notice that the iPad is the only Apple device without its own OS, and its a big mistake. They are limiting the device severely. The iPad have a totally different set of use cases.
    Oh jeez, this sounds just like the "iPad is just a big iPhone", Apple is doomed rant that went on years ago. C'mon 
    nolamacguycanukstorm
  • Reply 25 of 71
    What I'd like to see:

+I think Fusion drive should be default in all base (iMac and Mac Mini) configurations. [Now that they have a 24GB + Spinning platter fusion opinion, that small 24GB can't cost that much, should just be default. OS X is pretty bad with spinning platter only. After going back to platter only after Fusion, its really awful.] 

+Apple apps should support new hardware features on day one, like 3D touch support still isn't present in all their apps. 
    +TB3 on iMacs
    +User replaceable ram in mac mini (like it use to be)
    +I'd really like OS X to keep MY focus, don't bring up the splash screen of a launching app, or interrupt me with apps that are restarting, updating, or launching. [I have several apps that I run beta version of, they get updated a lot, I like to keep working...typing...while things launch in the background....I can't in OS X...constant interruptions from apps.]
    +Support for Google's 2-step authentication in Messages client on OS X.
    +12 GB base memory in 27" iMac, please, at least, 16GB would be better, is it a $2,000 computer or not?

pulseimageshjmnl
  • Reply 26 of 71
    Great article, as usual providing a much needed balance to the ever-present Apple is doomed narrative that predominates the media. Also as usual, and right on cue, there's the negative nancy's in the forum showing their true colors in whining about the article being pro-Apple. The horror!

Also, I very much enjoyed the thoughts and speculations regarding potential features/upgrades to iOS, many of which I hadn't even considered. I'm especially hoping that the social aspects of Apple music are addressed. That's where the hype should come from that will make Apple Music truly successful (also TV and terrestrial radio ads), not from loud shirts worn by Apple executives at a developer's conference.

My main hope is that Apple improves its services. I feel like I've been patiently waiting for the Apple build up it's services to actually be good, but it seems like Apple has just dropped the ball, sadly. Siri still has trouble with its basic functionality (breaking the trust that is necessary for people to take advangage of any fancy new features that might be added on), Apple Pay (which I love and go out of my way to use and evangelize) is woefully unsupported by Apple and has a poor uptake by vendors, Proactive is terrible! (95% of the time it gets what I want to listen to wrong, that's almost statistically impossible! I wish I was exaggerating.), mail continues to have weird issues with search and with re-presenting emails that I've deleted, search in Maps continues to be terrible....

Also, in addition to the need to make services *just* work better, Apple, bizarrely, doesn't seem to realize the basic concept that an essential, core aspect of services is the critical mass of users; unlike a hardware product which can stand on its own no matter if there's only one, or millions. Critical mass is something that deserves to be addressed and supported (albeit not indefinitely) as something just as important to a service as the screen is to the iPhone.
    edited May 2016 hjmnl
  • Reply 27 of 71
    rezwitsrezwits Posts: 879member
    I am really hoping for just one thing: the Frameworks they used to develop the Web Based Version of iWork (Numbers, Pages, etc). If they created an extension to Xcode, with full HTML editing and the ability to target Safari Technology Preview (or Safari) , that would be incredible! Then I could just port my apps to web app versions...(hoping because the WWDC graphic looks like coding the browser)
    hjmnl
  • Reply 28 of 71
    odinsdadodinsdad Posts: 13member
    I would like to be able to use the iPhone fingerprint to unlock my MacOSX.
    ai46icoco3
  • Reply 29 of 71
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    cali said:
    alwaysok said:
    I would like to see in IOS 10 the capability to record phone calls in encrypted form in iCloud or on the phone itself.

I remember having an old crappy phone(Symbian?) in 2005 that did this. It was cool because you can play recorded calls for others on the phone.

Been waiting for this since then and disappointed in 2016 it still hasn't arrived.
    In encrypted form? I don't think so. But recording it would be nice sometimes. Depends on the laws where you live though. In many places both sides have to know it's being recorded, so there could be some legal issue there.
  • Reply 30 of 71
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    jlvelez1 said:
    "I think iOS on the iPad feels like a stretched out iPhone. 3rd party apps have done well designing their apps that takes advantage of the bigger screen but Apple at the OS level and their own apps have not. Lots of wasted space and not taking advantage of the big screen. That is what's keeping the iPad from really being a true laptop replacement and the Pro from being a true pro device. Apple needs to do better with iOS on the iPad." Agree completely. Notice that the iPad is the only Apple device without its own OS, and its a big mistake. They are limiting the device severely. The iPad have a totally different set of use cases.
    Sounds like you're talking about Android, it's not really true for the iPad, and I'm using the 12.9" Pro.
  • Reply 31 of 71
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member
    alwaysok said:
    I would like to see in IOS 10 the capability to record phone calls in encrypted form in iCloud or on the phone itself.

There is also liability in allowing this.  Different states have different consent laws to recordings.  Apple does not need to be a party to that.  Doubt it will be a native function unless the the other individual must hit a button to consent on their phone.  That would make it an Apple to Apple service only as well.

edited May 2016
  • Reply 32 of 71
    danwellsdanwells Posts: 39member
    What I'm really hoping for is MacBook Pros (MacBooks Pro?) - anyway, the object that old-timers occasionally still refer to as a PowerBook! At a bare minimum, some new CPUs and GPUs would be appreciated. I'm in the market for a 15" model (and resigned to a $3000+ price tag - I generally buy a well-configured one, and haven't paid much less since the PowerBook 170), as a professional photographer and photo teacher.

The three features (beyond a speed bump) that would excite me the most are:

1.) 2 TB SSD (obviously optional, and I'm not 100% sure I want to know what the upgrade charge would be)
    2.) 32 GB RAM (probably optional, maybe standard on the top model)
    3.) Improved display - 4K, wide-gamut or both (almost certainly standard on 15" models if they do it - I can only remember one brief period when there were 2 display choices on the same MBP - from 2010 until the start of the Retina era, a high-res panel (that also had better gamut, although they didn't advertise that fact) was a CTO option)
    4.)

I'd like to see (in addition to my requests above and inevitable CPU/GPU bumps):
    1.)USB 3.1/Thunderbolt 3 (in addition to conventional USB - PLEASE leave us some USB 3.0 ports, Apple - also leave my SD reader alone!).
    2.) Slightly larger than 15.4" (larger screen, less bezel?)
    Everything below this is probably "un-Apple", and won't happen, no matter how hard we beg.
    3.)Upgradeable RAM
    4.) Upgradeable SSD (standard form factor)

I wouldn't even be concerned if an MBP with a lot of this was half a pound HEAVIER than its predecessor... A 16", 4K, 2TB/32GB MBP with a top Skylake (or a mobile Xeon), a great GPU and full ports would be worth lugging around 5 lbs for.  

The machine that would NOT excite me is half a pound (or even a pound)b lighter, slower (because it moved down the power curve from a 45 watt processor to 35 watts or less, eating up the improvement from Haswell to Skylake), lacks a discrete GPU option, and loses all the standard ports! If that turns up (a giant MacBook), I may buy a leftover top Haswell model unless something (display, RAM, drive?)  is irresistible enough to resign me to carrying adapters.

Even the HDMI port on the old model (easily emulated over Thunderbolt) serves a purpose - while I'd always use something better than HDMI on a display, HDMI comes in awfully handy for dealing with projectors. 
    pulseimages6Sgoldfish
  • Reply 33 of 71
    rcfarcfa Posts: 1,124member
    What I want to see is root access for the owner of iOS devices without jail breaking; the ability to see what's going on on the system is the only way to have a secure system, otherwise it's based on blind trust, i.e. religion.
    Also, a real file system from within Apps would help, an OS X Server that replicates all of iCloud services on private servers for those who need proper accountability over their data.
    Lastly iOS X with universal apps and adaptive UI that can switch from windowed to full-screen to touchUI.
    More RAM and more storage, for real multitasking; multi-user abilities on iOS, so I don't have to let people access my data, just because I let them use my phone or tablet.
    In other words: bring the Pro to the iPad Pro which is now still just IPad Toy.

Oh, and fix the bus that make iOS devices with more than 1000 apps more or less unusable...
  • Reply 34 of 71
    Eric_WVGGEric_WVGG Posts: 968member
    I’ve been whining about this every year since iOS 3, but gawd I wish there was a way to customize the lockscreen. Weather, just give me the damn weather at a glance.
    6Sgoldfishhjmnl
  • Reply 35 of 71
    Eric_WVGG said:
    I’ve been whining about this every year since iOS 3, but gawd I wish there was a way to customize the lockscreen. Weather, just give me the damn weather at a glance.
    Don't forget GF's location! :)
  • Reply 36 of 71
    pulseimagespulseimages Posts: 601member
    danwells said:
    What I'm really hoping for is MacBook Pros (MacBooks Pro?) - anyway, the object that old-timers occasionally still refer to as a PowerBook! At a bare minimum, some new CPUs and GPUs would be appreciated. I'm in the market for a 15" model (and resigned to a $3000+ price tag - I generally buy a well-configured one, and haven't paid much less since the PowerBook 170), as a professional photographer and photo teacher.

The three features (beyond a speed bump) that would excite me the most are:

1.) 2 TB SSD (obviously optional, and I'm not 100% sure I want to know what the upgrade charge would be)
    2.) 32 GB RAM (probably optional, maybe standard on the top model)
    3.) Improved display - 4K, wide-gamut or both (almost certainly standard on 15" models if they do it - I can only remember one brief period when there were 2 display choices on the same MBP - from 2010 until the start of the Retina era, a high-res panel (that also had better gamut, although they didn't advertise that fact) was a CTO option)
    4.)

I'd like to see (in addition to my requests above and inevitable CPU/GPU bumps):
    1.)USB 3.1/Thunderbolt 3 (in addition to conventional USB - PLEASE leave us some USB 3.0 ports, Apple - also leave my SD reader alone!).
    2.) Slightly larger than 15.4" (larger screen, less bezel?)
    Everything below this is probably "un-Apple", and won't happen, no matter how hard we beg.
    3.)Upgradeable RAM
    4.) Upgradeable SSD (standard form factor)

I wouldn't even be concerned if an MBP with a lot of this was half a pound HEAVIER than its predecessor... A 16", 4K, 2TB/32GB MBP with a top Skylake (or a mobile Xeon), a great GPU and full ports would be worth lugging around 5 lbs for.  

The machine that would NOT excite me is half a pound (or even a pound)b lighter, slower (because it moved down the power curve from a 45 watt processor to 35 watts or less, eating up the improvement from Haswell to Skylake), lacks a discrete GPU option, and loses all the standard ports! If that turns up (a giant MacBook), I may buy a leftover top Haswell model unless something (display, RAM, drive?)  is irresistible enough to resign me to carrying adapters.

Even the HDMI port on the old model (easily emulated over Thunderbolt) serves a purpose - while I'd always use something better than HDMI on a display, HDMI comes in awfully handy for dealing with projectors. 
    This!
    6Sgoldfish
  • Reply 37 of 71
    6Sgoldfish6Sgoldfish Posts: 108member
    melgross said:
    macxpress said:

Its their forgotten platform!
    The "new" Macbook is a trinket amidst a sea of forgotten hardware. This does NOT a comprehensive Mac strategy make. 
    edited May 2016 pulseimageshjmnl
  • Reply 38 of 71
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,316member
    rezwits said:
    I am really hoping for just one thing: the Frameworks they used to develop the Web Based Version of iWork (Numbers, Pages, etc). If they created an extension to Xcode, with full HTML editing and the ability to target Safari Technology Preview (or Safari) , that would be incredible! Then I could just port my apps to web app versions...(hoping because the WWDC graphic looks like coding the browser)
    To me iCloud as a platform seems to be the next step. Especially if it's Swift coding so apps could have a fat binary that gets them near native performance when running on mac or iDevice. They then don't merge macOS and iOS, Instead build up a new web based platform that runs across Apples offerings in a near native fashion until it seemlessly transistion to a replacement OS across the board.
    Yes similar to chrome however I think apple could offer a different take that could be appealing for the reasons Apple is appealing against Google offerings.

• Reply 39 of 71
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    melgross said:
    macxpress said:

Its their forgotten platform! :(
    Is that why they ignored the rest of their entire Mac lineup and have for a couple years now? Releasing 1 Mac doesn't mean they're paying attention to the Mac. Their entire lineup is seriously outdated, some over 2yrs old!!! 
    6Sgoldfishpulseimageshjmnl
  • Reply 40 of 71
    red oakred oak Posts: 1,088member

My main hope is that Apple improves its services. I feel like I've been patiently waiting for the Apple build up it's services to actually be good, but it seems like Apple has just dropped the ball, sadly. Siri still has trouble with its basic functionality (breaking the trust that is necessary for people to take advangage of any fancy new features that might be added on), Apple Pay (which I love and go out of my way to use and evangelize) is woefully unsupported by Apple and has a poor uptake by vendors, Proactive is terrible! (95% of the time it gets what I want to listen to wrong, that's almost statistically impossible! I wish I was exaggerating.), mail continues to have weird issues with search and with re-presenting emails that I've deleted, search in Maps continues to be terrible....

This I think is the heart of the issue.  Apple services are stuck in the mud.  There is no on-going stream of updates or improvements.  New things launch and then just languish.  It has been a year since any meaningful iWork update.   Siri is not improving.  Maps is still clunky.   FaceTime still cannot do multiple videos.   It has if there is no imagination or planning 

Meanwhile, Google, Facebook, Microsoft, WhatsApp, etc.. are iterating like crazy to create services and products that are OS agnostic.   It is getting to the point where I could switch to Android and not really miss a beat 

Somebody @ Apple needs to wake-up.  Don't launch new things.  Make what you already have outstanding

edited May 2016 patchythepiratepalominepulseimages6Sgoldfish