iOS 9.3.2 update 'bricking' some Apple iPad Pros, complaints say

Posted:
in iPad
Trying to install Apple's iOS 9.3.2 update is causing some iPad Pros to become unusable, according to media reports and complaints on Apple's support forums.

Affected people will find their tablet asking to be plugged into iTunes, but unable to be restored, a number of support forum posters have said. Ireland's The Journal noted that this can be accompanied by an "Error 56" message, which Apple identifies as a generic hardware error.

While the issue appears to be restricted to iPad Pros, there also seems to be no immediate workaround other than taking a device to an Apple Store for help or a replacement. There are likewise no signs that an official fix is in development, though Apple is likely aware of the problem.

iOS 9.3.2, released on Tuesday, was itself intended to solve a variety of bugs. These included things like Bluetooth problems on the iPhone SE, failed dictionary lookups, and MDM servers being unable to install custom B2B apps.

Because the iPad Pro is a relatively new device -- even the 12.9-inch model only dates back to November -- every owner is still on Apple's default one-year warranty, and should be able to get free service for defects.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 36
    OTA update today to iOS 9.3.2 on iPad Pro 9.7" without any problem.
  • Reply 2 of 36
    razormaidrazormaid Posts: 299member
    I have both models no problem BUT I've also beta tested ever version of this release too. So maybe the GM has an issue but the final version Apple sent us to wrote over the beta was error free 
  • Reply 3 of 36
    minglok50minglok50 Posts: 59member
    No problems with my iPad Pro 12.9
  • Reply 4 of 36
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    I updated my 12.9" iPP via OTA and had all sorts of issues with apps freezing and safari pages not loading. I ended up doing a restore via iTunes and everything seems to be OK now. In the future I probably won't be so quick to install updates. Sigh.
    command_f
  • Reply 5 of 36
    tdknoxtdknox Posts: 82member
    My 12.9" iPP updated and hasn't had any issues. Everything is fine.

Remember: The plural of anecdote is fact.  :D
  • Reply 6 of 36
    Updated my iPad Pro 9.7" (128, wifi+cell) OTA on wifi. Bricked. Tried to restore it 2 times via iTunes; resulted with 2 successive errors.

I went to the Apple Store and the tech swapped it for a new one. We updated the new one with no problem. Since then, I had 1 unrequested intempestive reboot.
  • Reply 7 of 36
    gbdocgbdoc Posts: 83member
    Interesting, because something similar happened to me UD-ing my iPhone 6s via iTunes, something I'd never encountered before. After installation was apparently finished, my phone went black, iTunes didn't register its presence, I tried turning it on, or off, tapping here and there, unplugging and plugging, but it didn't respond to anything. Panicking briefly, I then found a fix on the net (apparently this has happened to others even before 9.3.2): press and hold the SLEEP/WAKE and HOME buttons simultaneously until the Apple logo appears, then let go. I did that, and It went on to reboot, installation finished, and all's now well.

So, of course, my phone wasn't bricked, but looked that way at first. I wonder two things: whether at least some of the "bricked" iPads weren't, in fact, so, but could've been revived as my phone was; second, whether my "pseudo-bricking" might have resulted from the same more fundamental update problem, but I only got a non-lethal dose of something that killed others.
    longpath
  • Reply 8 of 36
    jcdinkinsjcdinkins Posts: 114member
    I updated my 12.9" iPP via OTA and had all sorts of issues with apps freezing and safari pages not loading. I ended up doing a restore via iTunes and everything seems to be OK now. In the future I probably won't be so quick to install updates. Sigh.
    Try installing it on yourself and see if you freeze up.
  • Reply 9 of 36
    Installed OTA on my 12.9" iPad Pro with no problems.
  • Reply 10 of 36
    I have updated my iPhone 6 Plus without iTunes help and it works great , and updated my iTunes to the new version on my computer as well , and I synced my new updated with the new iTunes, without any problems, the only problem, is apples Map on my phone , but it's ok. I use googles map instead !!!...
  • Reply 11 of 36
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    http://appleinsider.com/articles/09/10/12/snow_leopard_guest_account_bug_deletes_user_data

And that was under Jobs' watch.

Shit happens. Yes, even to Apple. The key is how quickly they respond to it and make things right. 
    Aldolini49
  • Reply 12 of 36
    bettbbettb Posts: 1member
    Updated iPad Pro without issues over the air. Works just fine… I know this is not news. But it is my true experience.
    cornchipAldolini49
  • Reply 13 of 36
    multimediamultimedia Posts: 1,035member
    I'm not going to run thus update on any of my devises. Too risky for me. I'm a coward at heart.
  • Reply 14 of 36
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Since returning to Apple products in April 2006, I've owned a 2006 16-inch iMac Core Duo, an early 2008 MacBook Pro 15-inch (RAM upgraded to 6Gb) which I still use as my main, an iPad 2, an iPod Nano (2006), another iPod Nano (2007), an iPod Touch (2008), and every non-S variant of the iPhone since the 3G, starting in the summer of 2008.

Never. Never ever, has any Apple-issued update, in any size, shape or form, "bricked", or compromised, or "bugged", or otherwise rendered more difficult or problematic to use any of my devices. The exception being the iPad 2 with the latest OS update. Because obviously. But it's still a champ with e-books, sketching, and some light web surfing. Still plays those Need for Speed and Asphalt mobile racing games very well, too (as of last year, anyway.)

So no. I can't even in the slightest relate to any of these "bricking" complaints.

Just my own anecdotal experience, I know. But I'm also sure I'm not quite in the minority. 
    mejsric
  • Reply 15 of 36
    TRPTRP Posts: 2member
    Updated my 9.7" iPad Pro to 9.3.2. It is now an iBrick Pro
    jackansi
  • Reply 16 of 36
    TRP said:
    Updated my 9.7" iPad Pro to 9.3.2. It is now an iBrick Pro
    Updated iPhone 6S Plus via iTunes.  No problem.

Updated iPad Pro via iTunes.  No problem.

Updated iPad Pro 9.7 via over-the-air.  iBrick Pro.  

Attempted all possible variations of repair, restore... rebooted iMac, iPad... forced restore, etc.  No joy.  Join Ventured myself into the bar ASAP. Apple Genius confirmed all attempts futile; hardware replace only option and so, instantly, apologetically ...

No luck.  Utterly no iPad Pro 9.7 configuration in store, in NW region.  Wait time one week.  Or more.

I can understand an update bricking an odd, older-gen device, but the newest flagship? What the hell are the protocols in QA?  And one week for a swap on a non-BTO?  

Ah Apple, you are not the company of old.
    dysamoria
  • Reply 17 of 36
    Updated my iPhones 4S, 5 and 5S, as well as my iPads 3 and (9.7") Pro with absolutely NO issues. The iPad Pro is the new speed king of my household, handily beating the 5S by updating a whole 9 minutes earlier! My ageing iPad 3 brought up the rear by bravely battling through to update in about 1 hour...
  • Reply 18 of 36
    bulk001bulk001 Posts: 764member
    apple ][ said:
    Cobra101 said:
    This is an "innovation" feature people.

This is what a typical loser looks like people.
    We used to laugh at MS when they would issue patches that wouldn't work. Why should Apple be free of any criticism when they do the same thing? Don't bother responding, I know, I know, its Apple so we should put up with sub par work. 
    dysamoriacnocbuijackansi
  • Reply 19 of 36
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    bulk001 said:
    We used to laugh at MS when they would issue patches that wouldn't work. Why should Apple be free of any criticism when they do the same thing? Don't bother responding, I know, I know, its Apple so we should put up with sub par work. 
    Who said that Apple should be free of criticism?

I've been using Apple products for decades, and occasionally, stuff happens. This isn't anything new, and any problems are of course highlighted today, since many more millions of people are using Apple products. 

I'm making fun of the lame "this is innovation" comment.
  • Reply 20 of 36
    paul turnerpaul turner Posts: 222member
    • o use Walmart Pay, customers must create a Walmart.com account and/or update their profile to include a preferred payment method. This can include any credit or debit card, prepaid account or Walmart Gift Card
    Yet another account to sign up for and pay via a credit card - NON STARTER

So walmart is still having to pay credit card fees yes? So walmart's attempt to break up Visa and Master card's stangle hold on payments is not going to work. Why on earth would anyone want to sign up for target, walmart, macy's, CVX, and all the hundreds of other retailers just so we can have hundreds of separate cards to lug around, manage and get our finances completely out of control? 

The whole point behind having one card is so that one can manage one bank account. Thats what a debit/credit card allows me to do some what,  but its not easy because unless I keep logging on to my cc account to find out the balance and make a mental note and compare that with the money left in my bank account I don't know where I am as regards my budgeting.  Unfortunately not every retailer allows or uses NFC to one card : Apple pay is limited but it helps, Crapdroid pay I don't know about,  so we are still in a mess of competing payment systems all trying to pitch us their goods.

There is of course one patient system that has none of these disadvantages, and its totally secure in terms of retailers can't find out who I am , or anything about my spending habits, where I live or anything really, its called cash. 

What I do now is use apple pay, and carry cash for all those other retailers who don't use apple pay. Tha's way I know pretty much all the time if I'm over spending or not.
    edited May 2016