Which could Apple sell more of?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Which do you think Apple could sell more of if both were available to them? A 64-bit AltiVec 2 GHz CPU PowerMac, or a 3.0+ GHz 32-bit AltiVec CPU? I'm not askin which is faster, I am asking which would sell better.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    If there are a bunch of apps written for the 64 bit processor then give me that one, but if not give me the 3 GHz no question.

By the way, nice dream. I'll have what he's having waitor!
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Honestly, I hate to say it, but the 3 ghz would be faster than the 64-bit because most likely nothing but the iAps and OS X would be optimised for it, but the 32-bit one has AltiVec too. So it's basically just from a marketing stand point, which is easier to sell? 64-bit 2 GHz, or 32-bit 3+ GHz?
  • Reply 3 of 7
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    [quote]Originally posted by Billy:

<strong>Honestly, I hate to say it, but the 3 ghz would be faster than the 64-bit because most likely nothing but the iAps and OS X would be optimised for it, but the 32-bit one has AltiVec too. So it's basically just from a marketing stand point, which is easier to sell? 64-bit 2 GHz, or 32-bit 3+ GHz?</strong><hr></blockquote>

64 bit would do little if nothing for iApps and most aspects of the OS itself...

neither would sell considerably more than the other... Apple will always have an uphill battle and it has less to do with the speed of their processors than the misconceptions and fear of owning a mac.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    both ...probably

if apple had 1/2 a brain they would lower the

prices on their lcds & really push the market..

goto any fry's store & you will see people

drooling over the lcds & saying if the price

was a little more competitive they would get one..

heck if they offer the 23" under 2k (dont know

if thats doable..i hope it is) i'd buy one right

away & im using a pc

...and the ipods ....ive had a lot of people

ask me since i got mine & they were interested
  • Reply 5 of 7
    billybilly Posts: 34member
    When it was said that a PPC 970 would out-perform a G4 by double on the same clock speeed, was that a 64-bit optimised application, or 32-bit application?
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Only applications that need to address very large amounts of memory, or that perform certain types of calculations, will benefit from a 64 bit CPU. MOST applications used by most users will not be any faster on a 64 bit CPU, and may in fact be slightly slower (but only a few percent slower).

But for marketing, 64 bit will do wonders. Most people assume that it will speed up apps even more than altivec! lol!
  • Reply 7 of 7
    They would sell far more of either of those than the current G4s so...

DEAR APPLE: ANNOUNCE SOMTHING NEW. ANYTHING, JUST AS LONG AS IT'S NEW AND FASTER THAN THE OLD.