Apple TV sales surge with hardware refresh, but still rank 4th in US streaming device market

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
A new survey of U.S. broadband households recently purchased a streaming media player has found that Roku continues to own the largest market share, while the Apple TV sales have greatly increased since last year's update. However, no one device controls a majority of the market, leaving the race for a winner still wide open.

New data from Parks Associates published on Tuesday has estimated HDTV streaming video players sold from the first quarter of 2015 to the first quarter of 2016. The firm's findings show Roku in the lead with 30 percent of total sales over the one-year period.

Apple TV, which was updated last fall to a new model with a dedicated App Store, came in fourth with 20 percent of sales. Finishing ahead of it were Google and Amazon, both with 22 percent.

One factor in Apple's fourth-place finish was price: About half of streaming devices sold in 2015 were low-cost "sticks" that offer basic streaming and app functionality, like Google Chromecast or Amazon Fire TV Stick. Park Associates found that three-quarters of Amazon's sales and one-third of Roku's were streaming sticks.

However, Apple saw a big boost in marketshare thanks to the launch of the fourth-generation Apple TV with Siri remote. Of the four largest manufacturers, Apple saw the greatest unit sales increase year over year, and its share of sales in 2015 was 50 percent higher than in 2014.

A year prior, Roku had a 34 percent share of sales, Chromecast was at 23 percent, Amazon Fire TV was 16 percent, and Apple TV accounted for 13 percent.

Apple continues to sell the third-generation Apple TV, which lacks the Siri remote and App Store, for $69, in a bid to fend off low-cost options like the Chromecast. But the fourth-generation Apple TV has a starting price of $149 for 32 gigabytes of capacity, bumping up to $199 for 64 gigabytes, putting it in a price category much higher than most of its competitors.

In contrast, the Amazon Fire TV stick is priced at $39.99 with a standard remote, or $49.99 with Voice Remote. And Roku's most expensive fourth-generation model, which is capable of streaming 4K video content, costs $119.99.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 49
    hjmnlhjmnl Posts: 31member
    As long it doesn't understand/work with Dutch I don't even understand why it's being sold in the Netherlands. What's taking them so long? 
    jackansiireland
  • Reply 2 of 49
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    It's too expensive. It starts at €179 in Europe and doesn't ship with a real gaming controller. Most countries here also don't get Siri in the remote. The remote has a different name here:

"Apple TV Remote" (no Siri)

Apple need to be far more aggressive with this product. It should be €99 and Apple should put a 8 or 10-person team in charge of designing a really nice first-party gaming controller and offer it as an optional add-on at checkout and get rid of the requirement of real games to need to implement that remote as a shitty gaming controller. There can always be novelty games that use it as a controller, but they need to build themselves an official Apple Gaming Controller to convey they take Apple TV seriously and understand gaming.
    edited May 2016 jackansihjmnllord amhranwiggincornchippatchythepiratepropod19831983
  • Reply 3 of 49
    NY1822NY1822 Posts: 621member
    on another note, according to Asian component suppliers, Apple to double IPhone 7 memory to 32gb, 128gb, 256gb, up from 16gb, 64gb, 128gb.....
  • Reply 4 of 49
    NY1822 said:
    on another note, according to Asian component suppliers, Apple to double IPhone 7 memory to 32gb, 128gb, 256gb, up from 16gb, 64gb, 128gb.....
    Unsure where you are sourcing your information, but that pricing scheme sounds like Apple.
  • Reply 5 of 49
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    ireland said:
    NY1822 said:
    Unsure where you are sourcing your information, but that pricing scheme sounds like Apple.
    If that's legit I wonder what caused the change. I was fully expecting 16 > 128 > 256 or no change at all.
  • Reply 6 of 49
    ireland said:
    If that's legit I wonder what caused the change. I was fully expecting 16 > 128 > 256 or no change at all.
    Nobody was expecting 16 > 128 > 256

Look at the way iPad is going. 32 (the good enough) > 128 (the up-sell) > 256 (the crazy nerd)
    edited May 2016
  • Reply 7 of 49
    ireland said:
    NY1822 said:
    http://www.investors.com/news/technology/click/apple-to-double-iphone-memory-with-next-handset-report/
  • Reply 8 of 49
    If the upgraded memory is true, what do you guys think the pricing would be?
  • Reply 9 of 49
    NY1822 said:
    ireland said:
    http://www.investors.com/news/technology/click/apple-to-double-iphone-memory-with-next-handset-report/
    Lol at that article. The storage sizes sounds like a safe bet. "Rumoured to be thinner". Actually most rumours suggest same physical size. These guys cannot even use Google.
  • Reply 10 of 49
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    ireland said:

Look at the way iPad is going. 32 (the good enough) > 128 (the up-sell) > 256 (the crazy nerd)
     I only thought that because iPhone has been 16 for so long and even 8(!) in some cases. Again I'd love to know Apple's thinking. I can't imagine memory prices suddenly got cheaper in the past year.
  • Reply 11 of 49
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    ireland said:
    It's too expensive. It starts at €179 in Europe and doesn't ship with a real gaming controller. Most countries here also don't get Siri in the remote: the remote has a different name here.

Apple need to be far more aggressive with this product. It should be €99 and Apple should put a 8 or 10-person team in charge of designing a really nice first-party gaming controller and offer it as an optional add-on at checkout and get rid of the requirement of real games to need to implement that remote as a shitty gaming controller. There can always be novelty games that use it as a controller, but they need to build themselves an Apple Gaming Controller that works for gaming on every device they make.
    I disagree, It's too cheap.

Last gen's A8 chip.
    No tech from the Kinect team.

Siri Remote missing half of Apple's hardware:
    Taptic Engine
    3D Touch
    M Processor(fitness apps!)
    and more I can't remember at the moment.

It's funny how Apple is suddenly a budget brand when Apple TV is brought up, people say this tech would be "too expensive" but when has Apple held back on tech and price?

You're also asking for optional
    Apple gaming controller but at $99
    whats the point? To control crappy endless runners? Flappy bird?

People are paying $400+ for XBox One's for the same reasons they buy Apple TV's. I really want Apple TV to be a tank in the industry.

With smart TVs, cheap streaming sticks and  PS 4.5 and Nintendo NX coming soon they'll be less and less reason to own an Apple TV.

edited May 2016 williamlondon
  • Reply 12 of 49
    singularitysingularity Posts: 1,328member
    ireland said:

waverboy
  • Reply 13 of 49
    hjmnlhjmnl Posts: 31member
    NY1822 said:
    About time. That's what competition does and Apple can't allow themselves to charge premium prizes anymore. Let's hope they build there next generation iMacs with upgradable RAM, no more 5400 rpm drives and a big prize decrease so you actually get bang for the buck.
    propodcnocbui
  • Reply 14 of 49
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    I don't have a new Apple TV yet, my third gen is still working nicely.

However, I've always wondered why is the new one so fat? What is it inside that makes it so fat? Is it just because of the newer, more powerful chip? iPhones also have powerful chips and they're pretty slim.
  • Reply 15 of 49
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    I wonder how are these dedicated streaming devices comparing - market share wise - with universal devices (that can also stream)... like consoles and computers. 
    cali
  • Reply 16 of 49
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

ireland said:

Are you calling me a crazy nerd? :#

My current iPad is 128, but I plan on getting 256 next time I upgrade for sure. I wouldn't be surprised if we saw 512 iPads in a year or so.
  • Reply 17 of 49
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member
    I love my ATV. I think the controller needs improvements, but generally I'm a happy customer.

Off topic, if anyone ever gets an iPhone delivered to the door, make sure you open it with the delivery driver present before signing for it. I signed for an empty iPhone 6 cardboard box this week!  Now it's my word against his.
    edited May 2016 cali
  • Reply 18 of 49
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,905member
    Need more streaming choices like Apps from Dishnetwork SLING, Comcast Xfinity, TWC anywhere,(Amazon - not going to happen). Apple-TV foremost is Apps based streaming device and than other goodies like casual gaming platform.Homekit,etc. So, Apple needs to bring multiple skinny streaming packages with local and international channels. Similar to dish SLING App streaming where you buy $20 or so skinny package and than additional cost for your pick and choose channels on top..But, overall cost should attract cord cutters. Than, overtime add Netflix like, original contents/shows and Apple-TV will be the king of the streaming world in people's Living and Bedrooms.

edited May 2016 cali
  • Reply 19 of 49
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,905member
    I love my ATV. I think the controller needs improvements, but generally I'm a happy customer.

Off topic, if anyone ever gets an iPhone delivered to the door, make sure you open it with the delivery driver present before signing for it. I signed for an empty iPhone 6 cardboard box this week!  Now it's my word against his.
    Sorry to hear and thanks for sharing. As factual data points to most stealing done by insider/employees. In most other countries you buy at shop,check it out thoroughly before buying and leaving shop because once you cross the front door, it is yours, no return. Protects businesses and consumers.
    edited May 2016 cali
  • Reply 20 of 49
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    We use our new version Apple TV every single day.  We switch HDMI inputs briefly for CNN then go back to Apple TV and Netflix.  My only gripe is Amazon Prime still refusing to create an app.  I love Amazon and Apple, just wish I could have my cake and eat it.  I used to just stream Amazon Prime from an iPad to the Apple TV but that now only works for a few minutes then drops out.  I wonder if that's my end or something deliberate going on.  Same if I try from my new Mac Pro or a new MBA or MBP.
    calinolamacguy