iOS 9.3.2 update 'bricking' some Apple iPad Pros, complaints say

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 36
    tommikeletommikele Posts: 599member
    Updated a 12.9" and 9.7" and absolutely no problems. I think these reports are 90% BS. Overtime there is an update there is the continent that claims they have all these new problems. Yet, I am in an extremely mac heavy environment (mostly mobile but desktop too) and we never seem to experience these issues. I have a feeling (not fact) that, to some extent, research would show it's the same people claiming these problems each time there is some kind of update. And if it's not imaginary, it's something they are doing with their devices or a particular combination of software. Then there is the media who always grabs any little piece and runs with it regardless of unproven veracity.
  • Reply 22 of 36
    tommikeletommikele Posts: 599member
    gbdoc said:
    Interesting, because something similar happened to me UD-ing my iPhone 6s via iTunes, something I'd never encountered before. After installation was apparently finished, my phone went black, iTunes didn't register its presence, I tried turning it on, or off, tapping here and there, unplugging and plugging, but it didn't respond to anything. Panicking briefly, I then found a fix on the net (apparently this has happened to others even before 9.3.2): press and hold the SLEEP/WAKE and HOME buttons simultaneously until the Apple logo appears, then let go. I did that, and It went on to reboot, installation finished, and all's now well.

So, of course, my phone wasn't bricked, but looked that way at first. I wonder two things: whether at least some of the "bricked" iPads weren't, in fact, so, but could've been revived as my phone was; second, whether my "pseudo-bricking" might have resulted from the same more fundamental update problem, but I only got a non-lethal dose of something that killed others.
    Plain and simple - You did a forced reboot. A common fix for all kinds of problems on all kinds of devices. What happened wasn't "similar" to a device becoming bricked. Freeze/lock up does not equal bricking. A bricking is not cured with a restart.
  • Reply 23 of 36
    doc_gdoc_g Posts: 5member
    Trying to install Apple's iOS 9.3.2 update is causing some iPad Pros to become unusable, according to media reports and complaints on Apple's support forums.

Affected people will find their tablet asking to be plugged into iTunes, but unable to be restored, a number of support forum posters have said. Ireland's The Journal noted that this can be accompanied by an "Error 56" message, which Apple identifies as a generic hardware error.

While the issue appears to be restricted to iPad Pros, there also seems to be no immediate workaround other than taking a device to an Apple Store for help or a replacement. There are likewise no signs that an official fix is in development, though Apple is likely aware of the problem.

iOS 9.3.2, released on Tuesday, was itself intended to solve a variety of bugs. These included things like Bluetooth problems on the iPhone SE, failed dictionary lookups, and MDM servers being unable to install custom B2B apps.

Because the iPad Pro is a relatively new device -- even the 12.9-inch model only dates back to November -- every owner is still on Apple's default one-year warranty, and should be able to get free service for defects.
    I downloaded 9.3.2 yesterday afternoon to my 9.7 iPad Pro and have not had any problems ... Used it last night and all day today and have not had a single problem.  No "bricking" and all programs and functions have been flawless.  I downloaded via WiFi if that matters. 
  • Reply 24 of 36
    gbdocgbdoc Posts: 83member
    tommikele said:
    gbdoc said:
    Interesting, because something similar happened to me UD-ing my iPhone 6s via iTunes, something I'd never encountered before. After installation was apparently finished, my phone went black, iTunes didn't register its presence, I tried turning it on, or off, tapping here and there, unplugging and plugging, but it didn't respond to anything. Panicking briefly, I then found a fix on the net (apparently this has happened to others even before 9.3.2): press and hold the SLEEP/WAKE and HOME buttons simultaneously until the Apple logo appears, then let go. I did that, and It went on to reboot, installation finished, and all's now well.

So, of course, my phone wasn't bricked, but looked that way at first. I wonder two things: whether at least some of the "bricked" iPads weren't, in fact, so, but could've been revived as my phone was; second, whether my "pseudo-bricking" might have resulted from the same more fundamental update problem, but I only got a non-lethal dose of something that killed others.
    Plain and simple - You did a forced reboot. A common fix for all kinds of problems on all kinds of devices. What happened wasn't "similar" to a device becoming bricked. Freeze/lock up does not equal bricking. A bricking is not cured with a restart.

Tommi, you’re right. Had you carefully read and understood my post, you’d’ve noticed that I said so myself. Thus, you seem to have missed the whole point. Your need to be ornery got the better of your thinking. But thanks for your input, which may have clarified this for some people.

gatorguy
  • Reply 25 of 36
    tuxmasktuxmask Posts: 8member
    I am glad this error 56 is getting more publicity. This is a software problem that Apple refuse to acknowledge for a long time. Last Decembe, I ran into this same error and this is what Apple Store geniuses told me.. I smell class action law suit similar to "error 53" http://www.zdnet.com/article/bricked-iphone-6-lawyers-want-you-to-join-its-error-53-class-action/ is coming.

• Reply 26 of 36
    bulk001bulk001 Posts: 748member
    apple ][ said:
    bulk001 said:
    We used to laugh at MS when they would issue patches that wouldn't work. Why should Apple be free of any criticism when they do the same thing? Don't bother responding, I know, I know, its Apple so we should put up with sub par work. 
    Who said that Apple should be free of criticism?

I've been using Apple products for decades, and occasionally, stuff happens. This isn't anything new, and any problems are of course highlighted today, since many more millions of people are using Apple products. 

I'm making fun of the lame "this is innovation" comment.
    You did in your response. Now maybe they went a little over the top but if they happened to be one of those whose iPads were bricked I'd understand it. I have a iPhone that has just had the touch part of the screen stop working and I am pretty annoyed with Apple as it is the third phone in 5 months. Just because you don't have a problem doesn't means that anyone else does who expresses an opinion about it must be wrong because or that Apple can do no wrong and cannot be criticized. Besides we said a lot worse about MS and Android in the past for much less. Get some thicker skin! You seem to think this is the Apple from 2000 - it isn't. They are now one of the biggest corporations in the world and unless they want to go the way of IBM, Exxon, MS etc. they need to be on top of their game and outperform, not have shills make excuses for them when they don't. 
    edited May 2016 dysamoriajackansi
  • Reply 27 of 36
    TRPTRP Posts: 2member
    Apple Store replaced my bricked iPad Pro 9.7"
  • Reply 28 of 36
    Has anyone tried a force restore back to iOS 9.3.1?   My 9.7" iPad Pro was bricked by 9.3.2, and is stuck in DFU mode.   When trying to restore I get the famed error code 56.  I wonder if anyone has the 9.3.1 ipsw file, and has tried to option+Restore it back onto the bricked device.
  • Reply 29 of 36
    Strike that.  Was in online chat with Apple Support for past hour.  They provided me with a link to the 9.3.1 IPSW build for my model.  Unfortunately option+restore fails at the same point as 9.3.2, and again with error code 56.   This is so embarrassing.  
  • Reply 30 of 36
    kpomkpom Posts: 660member
    haptic said:
    OTA update today to iOS 9.3.2 on iPad Pro 9.7" without any problem.
    My iPad Pro 9.7 got bricked.  :/ It will take 3-5 days for a replacement to come in. 
  • Reply 31 of 36
    yoyo2222yoyo2222 Posts: 144member
    I again have to wonder what the Public Beta program is for if not to catch this kind of stuff. Maybe there are just too few iPad Pros in the beta program. 
  • Reply 32 of 36
    My 9.7" iPad Pro bricked. I had it plugged in to AC power and did OTA update. 
  • Reply 33 of 36
    tomtecktomteck Posts: 1member
    Having the "Erorr 56" problem while upgrading iPad Air 2 to 9.3.2. Apple Support had me try it on a different PC -- same result. Awaiting a call back.
  • Reply 34 of 36
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,336member
    gbdoc said:
    tommikele said:

Tommi, you’re right. Had you carefully read and understood my post, you’d’ve noticed that I said so myself. Thus, you seem to have missed the whole point. Your need to be ornery got the better of your thinking. But thanks for your input, which may have clarified this for some people.

You did use the term "pseudo" brick which doesn't make sense to me either. It seems what happened with your device was not really the same as the error 56 problem at all.  Maybe that was the reason for the "ornery" response as you put it. 
  • Reply 35 of 36
    JEWJEW Posts: 1member
    I had the same problem with my iPad Pro 9.7.  It actually would work a little while and then black vertical lines would appear.  A couple of times there was a snapping sound.  Not good. Tried to reboot twice but the problems continued.   Took it to the Apple Store and the screen was askew when turned on.  The tech rebooted and updated thru his computer.  Well...it reverted the version back to 9.3.1.  It said that it was the most current version.  Of course, my phone says 9.3.2 is the current version.  So Apple blocked the iPad from being updated to 9.3.2.  Interesting.  The tech did recommend that it be replaced.  Don't know if the bad 9.3.2 software update affected the hardware.   I want it replaced because now I don't trust it.  And certainly don't want to update it to a new software version.  The Apple Store is 2 hours away!
  • Reply 36 of 36
    uma225uma225 Posts: 1member
     I have problem Affected people will find their tablet asking to be plugged into iTunes, but unable to be restored, a number of support forum posters have said. Ireland's The Journal noted that this can be accompanied by an "Error 56" message, which Apple identifies as a general hardware error.
    Error 1667
    edited April 2019