TV Tuner for Tibook

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Does anybody know of any hardware available that I can use to get TV (cable) on my G4 Tibook that works with OS X(Jag)?

I had purchased ATI's XCLAIM TV, but it only works with OS 9, and Quicktime 5

Please let me know if I can do this on my G4 Tibook.

Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    Here ya go:

<a href="http://www.elgato.com/eyeTV/"; target="_blank">http://www.elgato.com/eyeTV/</a>;

Enjoy!
  • Reply 2 of 10
    stevesteve Posts: 523member
    I've been looking for something like this for a while, too.

Unfortunately, that thing only uses USB and only captures to 352x240 MPEG-1.

Anyone got anything a little better? Perhaps FireWire-based?
  • Reply 3 of 10
    nebrienebrie Posts: 483member
    Well, there's the Formac Studio DV/TV which uses firewire. The only reason I don't have that yet is because the software for it doesn't rate too highly on VersionTracker.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    The software is OK and works fine for me, but the Formac Studio costs a lot of money for just a TV-tuner...

Remember that the eyeTV is only NTSC not PAL (yet)..
  • Reply 5 of 10
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    anything truly portable? like maybe powered off of usb/firewire and has a clipon antennae? I think there used to be something like this years ago... haven't been able to find one though\ would be cool
  • Reply 6 of 10
    dogcowdogcow Posts: 713member
    AFAIK the eyeTV is powered by the USB bus so you dont have to plug it in. And I don't see why you couldn't just hook an antena up to the RF jack.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    [quote]Originally posted by Steve:

<strong>

Unfortunately, that thing only uses USB and only captures to 352x240 MPEG-1.</strong><hr></blockquote>

NTSC broadcasts at 352x240. The quality would be fine.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    [quote]Originally posted by danielb0101:

<strong>

NTSC broadcasts at 352x240. The quality would be fine.</strong><hr></blockquote>

isn't it 640 x 480?
  • Reply 9 of 10
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    I think it's something between the two. Under ideal conditions NTSC delivers about 704x500 or some such, but that's interlaced so you don't get a true 500 lines, though you can get pretty close with a [very, very] good tuner (like Sony's DRC). Then there are losses from the analogue broadcasting format that further degrade the quality.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    [quote]Originally posted by danielb0101:

<strong>

NTSC broadcasts at 352x240. The quality would be fine.</strong><hr></blockquote>

That would just be ungodly awful. That's worse than VHS.

NTSC broadcasts are 525 vertical lines of resolution by 330 horizontal lines of resolution. And since it is interlaced, it scans 262.5 fields 59.94 times per second to stream 29.97 frames per second.

Compare this to a VHS tape, which is 525 vertical lines by 275 horizontal line. A DVD supports 525 vertical lines by 486 horizontal lines of resolution.

Of course, pretty much all video that is broadcast gets mastered in a post facility at a much higher resolution of 720 vertical lines by 486 horizontal lines. It breaks your heart to see what happens to your work when it finally gets aired