Leaked screens show Siri in Apple's upcoming OS X 10.12 with always-on 'Hey Siri'

Comments

• Reply 21 of 58
    knowitallknowitall Posts: 1,648member
    welshdog said:
    knowitall said:
    It cannot be 'renamed back' because it was never 'MacOS'.

It kinda was?

Close, but no cigar.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 22 of 58
    knowitallknowitall Posts: 1,648member

volcan said:
    coolfactor said:
    Bots are not a fad, they are the future. It will always be difficult for a service like Siri to be perfect at everything. Per-service bots will fill that need, specializing in an individual service. When Siri can control the bots, then things will get really interesting.
    Totally! As a programmer, I get some parents of high school age children asking me how their child can get into a lucrative programming career. Lately I've been warning them that programming could be the next low paying job because I think we will have bots controlling the complicated stuff. For example, one might say to a bot: "create a user registration, log in and forgotten password feature". The bot may come back with "I've created it with the standard default form fields, would you like to add any others?" View by view you will tell the bot what to do without knowing a single line of code. There is a trend like that also going on in the legal business where before legal aids used to read through lengthy contracts looking for hidden fine print. Now it is being done mostly with computers making a legal aid job almost worthless.
    Your not much of a programmer then.
    asdasd
  • Reply 23 of 58
    rotateleftbyterotateleftbyte Posts: 1,630member
    Google announced Google Assistant at I/O today. From what I'm seeing in my Twitter feed it sounds impressive. home.google.com

Google only do things for the benefit of their database of everyone who uses anything to do with Google. This seems to me to be an ideal tool to slurp all sorts of nice bits of data about you and what you do and who you contact etc etc.
    I stopped using any Google service over a year ago and have no intention of going back. Why would I want to give them information on me? What do I get in return apart from a load of uselss adverts for stuff I don't want to buy.

calicornchipration al
  • Reply 24 of 58
    gumbigumbi Posts: 148member
    cali said:

Go all the way and buy Microsoft then we might have decent games on Steam too!  
    Huh?

I thought Steam games were identical on both platforms?

I wasn't kidding about Cortana either. I mean give it a few years and Windows phones will be forgotten. At the least Apple could license Cortana algorithms and she can live on in iPhone...

You do know that Cortana is built into Windows 10 right?  I mean, she isn't a Windows Mobile only feature.  She's also coming to the xbox one soon as well.
    edited May 2016
  • Reply 25 of 58
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    cali said:
    PLEASE PLEASE
    let this be an indication that Apple is revamping Siri for iOS 10.

Google is certainly not following when it comes to AI and voice assistant. Sorry but Apple is not setting the trend here. Google Now is much better than Siri. And the Amazon Echo is getting good reviews, even from Apple-centric tech bloggers.

I will say though I think all these "bots" are a silly fad and I couldn't care less that Apple isn't leading there.

Apple brought Siri to market not Goog. Goog will always follow because when they create their own path they trip over themselves(glass).
    Apple is not leading with Siri. First doesn't mean best.
  • Reply 26 of 58
    Anymore on my phone, I rarely type out texts and just use Siri. Sometimes I need to edit a bit afterwards, but it's way better than typing the entire text out. I'm hoping I can do that with messages on my Mac.

I'm hoping to see Siri integration in Spotlight. I would love to be able to find files, open documents, apps, hell, even being able to open/close pre-setup spaces (graphic design, web design, coding, video, etc..). Changing settings would be great too.

I'm wondering if you would need a special Apple-branded microphone with a Mac Pro. I have microphones but they're all crappy mikes that came with gaming headphones.

edited May 2016 cornchipration al
  • Reply 27 of 58
    tonestertonester Posts: 56member
    I have absolutely no use for Siri on my Mac unless Apple can get it to work. After all these years it is still a complete exercise in futility.  Reminds me of trying to use Dragon dictation software circa 1998. Found it easier to type with my right hand in a cast. 
    cali
  • Reply 28 of 58
    gunner1954gunner1954 Posts: 142member
    Here's hoping they use 'Hey Mac' instead of 'Hey Siri' so that my Mac answers, not my iOS devices.
    JinTech
  • Reply 29 of 58
    rezwitsrezwits Posts: 878member
    We probably won't be able to have Siri enabled on Pre-2015 machines, only 2015 and up, just saying (sarcasm, you know Apple)...
  • Reply 30 of 58
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    gumbi said:
    cali said:
    Huh?

I thought Steam games were identical on both platforms?

I wasn't kidding about Cortana either. I mean give it a few years and Windows phones will be forgotten. At the least Apple could license Cortana algorithms and she can live on in iPhone...

You do know that Cortana is built into Windows 10 right?  I mean, she isn't a Windows Mobile only feature.  She's also coming to the xbox one soon as well.
    Yes.

cali said:
    PLEASE PLEASE
    let this be an indication that Apple is revamping Siri for iOS 10.

Apple brought Siri to market not Goog. Goog will always follow because when they create their own path they trip over themselves(glass).
    Apple is not leading with Siri. First doesn't mean best.
    First meaning the copycats that came after are following. Didn't say it meant best.

Anymore on my phone, I rarely type out texts and just use Siri. Sometimes I need to edit a bit afterwards, but it's way better than typing the entire text out. I'm hoping I can do that with messages on my Mac.

I'm hoping to see Siri integration in Spotlight. I would love to be able to find files, open documents, apps, hell, even being able to open/close pre-setup spaces (graphic design, web design, coding, video, etc..). Changing settings would be great too.

I'm wondering if you would need a special Apple-branded microphone with a Mac Pro. I have microphones but they're all crappy mikes that came with gaming headphones.

With CarPlay, Apple better improve Siri and voice recognition. There won't be time to edit words on the road.
    ration al
  • Reply 31 of 58
    macplusplusmacplusplus Posts: 2,112member
    Sorry but Apple is not setting the trend here. 
    Apple is not run by a bunch of new age religious zealots who believe in that singularity day where the machine intelligence will gloriously rise to salvage humanity.
    ration al
  • Reply 32 of 58
    hjmnlhjmnl Posts: 31member
    isteelers said:
    Google announced Google Assistant at I/O today. From what I'm seeing in my Twitter feed it sounds impressive. home.google.com

All snark aside, I'm perplexed at how Apple let Siri languish for so long to the point where someone like Amazon could come in and start to own the space. And now Google is following suit. Considering how important privacy is to so many Apple had/has the perfect opportunity to create a solution for people who aren't comfortable using Google services. God I hope we get more than just current Siri on the Mac at WWDC. I hope Apple wows us with something we weren't expecting.
    Amazon is hardly starting to own the space.  Google will always follow as you stated above, as will Microsoft and Amazon.  They followed the iPhone, iPad, Siri, Apple Pay etc. etc.   Those companies will always follow as Apple sets the trends in every sandbox they play in. 
    Too bad Apple let them own the sandbox they started playing in. I never understand that Apple, with so little products to focus on, let the competition run away with it. 
  • Reply 33 of 58
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member
    volcan said:
    coolfactor said:
    Bots are not a fad, they are the future. It will always be difficult for a service like Siri to be perfect at everything. Per-service bots will fill that need, specializing in an individual service. When Siri can control the bots, then things will get really interesting.
    Totally! As a programmer, I get some parents of high school age children asking me how their child can get into a lucrative programming career. Lately I've been warning them that programming could be the next low paying job because I think we will have bots controlling the complicated stuff. For example, one might say to a bot: "create a user registration, log in and forgotten password feature". The bot may come back with "I've created it with the standard default form fields, would you like to add any others?" View by view you will tell the bot what to do without knowing a single line of code. There is a trend like that also going on in the legal business where before legal aids used to read through lengthy contracts looking for hidden fine print. Now it is being done mostly with computers making a legal aid job almost worthless.
    I've been a "programmer" for almost 30 years.  I've come and passed every speech "fad" that planned to change the realm of computer use.  All crash and burned.

Siri and its competitors are certainly impressive from the technological standpoint.  However, we are ages away... ages... before talking to a computer, bot, or whatever, gets interpreted as natural as talking to a real person.  

Someday, certain programming functions can be handled by noobies talking instructions to a computer, but in my lifetime... probably not.  It'll get close, but when the day comes when I can talk to a computer as naturally as one would a person, I'd be afraid.
  • Reply 34 of 58
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    knowitall said:

It is already starting to happen. Just look at all the Javascript frameworks, CMS, tempting engines, playgrounds and realtime debugging. Many people are building websites without any knowledge of code whatsoever. Perhaps you are a genius programmer of some sort, but I still don't understand why you would come back with a personal attack instead of some thoughtful rebuttal, and I will mention that I do have a degree in computer science and have been coding for almost 20 years. The people who know me and depend on my programming skills consider me quite talented, and Fast, at putting together useful applications of all sorts.

Sure we aren't quite there with the voice commanded AI but I sincerely believe it is right around the corner. Of course there will always be high end programmers just like there are people today who write compilers and languages, but I don't think someone would say that you are not much of a programmer because you can't write assembly language, or maybe you do, but that was still a dick comment.
    edited May 2016
  • Reply 35 of 58
    macplusplusmacplusplus Posts: 2,112member
    volcan said:
    knowitall said:

It is already starting to happen. Just look at all the Javascript frameworks, CMS, tempting engines, playgrounds and realtime debugging. Many people are building websites without any knowledge of code whatsoever. Perhaps you are a genius programmer of some sort, but I still don't understand why you would come back with a personal attack instead of some thoughtful rebuttal, and I will mention that I do have a degree in computer science and have been coding for almost 20 years. The people who know me and depend on my programming skills consider me quite talented, and Fast, at putting together useful applications of all sorts.

Sure we aren't quite there with the voice commanded AI but I sincerely believe it is right around the corner. Of course there will always be high end programmers just like there are people today who write compilers and languages, but I don't think someone would say that you are not much of a programmer because you can't write assembly language, or maybe you do, but that was still a dick comment.
    The developer community is barely getting rid of Java yet, which is a 90s tech, so nothing is "right around the corner". You didn't receive your degree in computer science to do "template based" engineering. So avoid your self-defense reflex and try to empathize with alternate and opposite point of views.
    edited May 2016
  • Reply 36 of 58
    sflocal said:

Someday, certain programming functions can be handled by noobies talking instructions to a computer, but in my lifetime... probably not.  It'll get close, but when the day comes when I can talk to a computer as naturally as one would a person, I'd be afraid.
    You probably talk to a computer all the time and don't even think about it. Almost every corporation including Apple has voice prompted telephone systems that do a pretty good job addressing peoples' needs. Better than Siri in my experience. Siri is hard pressed to even remember the context of an exchange two seconds later.
  • Reply 37 of 58
    macplusplus said:

So avoid your self-defense reflex and try to empathize with alternate and opposite point of views.
    I don't empathize with personal attacks.
    patchythepirate
  • Reply 38 of 58
    foljsfoljs Posts: 390member
    knowitall said:
    welshdog said:
    It kinda was?

Close, but no cigar.
    Thank you, Technically Correct Man!

edited May 2016 volcanspliff monkeyredraider11stevehcornchipration alwelshdogcalipatchythepirate
  • Reply 39 of 58
    jumejume Posts: 209member
    It's kind of useless unless you're native english...
  • Reply 40 of 58
    diegogdiegog Posts: 135member
    I really do hope you can turn it off. As someone who has never felt the need to talk to their computer since my boss found me swearing like a trooper when cabling up a prototype MicroVax System I don't even use Siri on my phone.
    I'd expect that this would be a major turn off for a lot of users if you couldn't disable it.
    To be honest, I am struggling to see this as a USP/can't do without feature. I am sure that there are better things Apple could be adding to the OS than this.

I'm sure we won't be able to turn it off just like on iOS, tvOS and watchOS....oh...wait.
    and to be honest, just because you don't see this as a 'can't do without' feature, doesn't mean others won't use it constantly...much like I do with iOS throughout the day.