I/O 2016: Android Pay coming to ATMs & mobile Chrome users

Posted:
in General Discussion
Widening the battleground with Apple Pay, Google on Wednesday announced that Android Pay will soon be usable at some ATMs, as well as by mobile Chrome users.

ATM support will initially be limited to Bank of America customers, though more partners may come onboard later, TechCrunch said. The feature will let people make a withdrawal from a machine using an Android phone instead of a debit card.

Apple Pay can already be used ATMs, but only in China, which may give Google a temporary advantage in its core American market. Apple has not announced any broader plans for ATM support, but could theoretically do so at WWDC 2016 in June.

Chrome will be getting Android Pay support via the cross-browser Payment Request API, which is currently being vetted by the World Wide Web Consortium (W3C). Once adopted the technology will let people use Android Pay on webpages, instead of just through apps and at retail. At the moment Booking.com and Shopify are testing the technology with users.

A March report suggested that Apple Pay is also coming to the Web. This might initially be limited to Safari on iPhones and iPads, but could come to Macs as well. Some form of launch is expected to happen before the holiday shopping season -- like ATM support, there's a chance the feature could be revealed at WWDC.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    ApplePay, why not support ATMs in America ? Best way to penetrate large usage of credit-debit-card-less secured ATM transactions.
    lostkiwi
  • Reply 2 of 13
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,707member
    Um...

isnt  to the whole point of [insert organization here] Pay to NOT NEED the stinking ATM?
    GrimzahnValueAnalystjony0anton zuykov
  • Reply 3 of 13
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member
    Um...

isnt  to the whole point of [insert organization here] Pay to NOT NEED the stinking ATM?
    I get ya point, but I would quite like it if I didn't have to touch those germ infested ATM machines. I quite like the idea.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member
    Um...

There's a thing called cash that I use a lot of times when I don't want to use a credit card. There's a lot of stores that still take cash and when they do, they don't get any information about me or my buying habits.

At an ATM, I'd like to use at least my Wells Fargo app, which uses TouchID, to access my account and withdraw cash. This doesn't use ApplePay but does use the many of the same features of ApplePay to initiate and control the withdrawing of money. For those general use ATMs, I could see my Wallet capability being used to sense when I'm close to a compatible ATM, trigger a compatible app that asks for a TouchID finger, then automatically goes into the app to initiate the cash withdrawal.
    ration almike1cali
  • Reply 5 of 13
    jony0jony0 Posts: 378member
    rob53 said:
    There's a lot of stores that still take cash and when they do, they don't get any information about me or my buying habits. 
    Nor do they get any information about you with Pay either, just a randomized token. Along with great security, that's also the beauty of it.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,284member
    C'mon Chase. Get on board with this and Apple Pay.
    cali
  • Reply 7 of 13
    mike1 said:
    C'mon Chase. Get on board with this and Apple Pay.
    Change your bank your money is begging u. But not to Citi because thier fucking thieves
  • Reply 8 of 13
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member
    jony0 said:
    rob53 said:
    There's a lot of stores that still take cash and when they do, they don't get any information about me or my buying habits. 
    Nor do they get any information about you with Pay either, just a randomized token. Along with great security, that's also the beauty of it.
    Totally agree, which is why I want to see more merchants accept ApplePay but we're talking about ATMs, which I hope don't currently save information about users except that required by the ATM's bank.

I personally don't see a need for ApplePay at an ATM unless you're trying to use it as a cash advance from your credit card (not debit card), which usually costs about the same as credit card fees so you might end up being charged twice (credit card charge + cash advance fee).

edit: I should have checked the web before making my last statement. It seams Wells Fargo has a plan to operate their ATMs cardless, at least with (stupid) Android Pay. http://www.atmmarketplace.com/articles/wells-fargo-doubling-down-on-card-free-atm-access/ Of course there's no mention about anything from Apple, only a mention about phone wallets, which is how I could see it working with an iPhone. Stupid thing is Wells Fargo is headquartered in San Francisco, just 47 miles north of Apple. I would think they'd be willing to work with Apple on this but the article I read says otherwise (at least for now). 
    edited May 2016 cali
  • Reply 9 of 13
    anton zuykovanton zuykov Posts: 1,056member
    Um...

I get ya point, but I would quite like it if I didn't have to touch those germ infested ATM machines. I quite like the idea.
    Cash is just as contaminated (probably even more so) as "those germ infested ATM machines" ....
    chiadementuschikan
  • Reply 10 of 13
    Um...

No. The point is not to need to take out or even so much as carry your ATM/debit card.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    jony0 said:
    rob53 said:
    Of course "they" get information about you anytime you use a credit card whether by swipe or phone  or online or Apple Pay. It doesn't hide anything from either banks or credit card providers. 

...and guess what? CC companies and banks share (sell?) your personal information with yet more outside parties like TransUnion, and data aggregators like Acxiom. Don't want to give 'em any info? USE CASH. 
    edited May 2016
  • Reply 12 of 13
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member

First, not sure ATM is a huge advantage here. I probably hit the ATM 3 or maybe 4 times a year.

Next, this feature announcement is all hype and no really value. Most banks over the last few years (Prior to NFC option being mass available) have updated their ATM machines with the fancy user interface and all new machines. Banks will need to make another investment in their systems to implement NFC, no different than merchants having to upgrade their equipment and look how long this is taking even with the new rules about merchant covering losses if they do not support chip and pin or NFC.

edited May 2016
  • Reply 13 of 13
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    rob53 said:
    Um...

There's a thing called cash that I use a lot of times when I don't want to use a credit card. There's a lot of stores that still take cash and when they do, they don't get any information about me or my buying habits.

At an ATM, I'd like to use at least my Wells Fargo app, which uses TouchID, to access my account and withdraw cash. This doesn't use ApplePay but does use the many of the same features of ApplePay to initiate and control the withdrawing of money. For those general use ATMs, I could see my Wallet capability being used to sense when I'm close to a compatible ATM, trigger a compatible app that asks for a TouchID finger, then automatically goes into the app to initiate the cash withdrawal.
    Explain to me how you withdraw cash form an ATM with the Wells Fargo App, I have it and it does not show any withdraw option. I have been using it for years and deposit check with the app and pay bills and transfer money but never seen any option to have an ATM spit out cash.