I/O 2016: Google Allo smart messenger and Duo video calling coming to iOS, Android this summer

Posted:
in General Discussion
Google hopes to shake up the mobile communications landscape this summer with a cross-platform release of both Allo, a new smart messenger, and Duo, a simplified one-to-one video calling service.

Designed with the goal of making conversations "easier and more expressive," Google's Allo offers a text message replacement that finds contacts based on their phone number. Integrated with machine learning, it offers smart features such as suggested quick replies based on your previous chat activity, similar to Apple's own QuickType suggestions in iOS.

Google's assistant is also integrated into Allo, allowing users to chat with the virtual service one on one, or in a group chat with friends. Google assistant cant book a dinner reservation, provide sports scores, answer questions, or play games. It also integrates with search, translate, Google Maps, and YouTube.

Allo also taps into information on your phone like calendar entries, contacts and photos, allowing users to ask for their agenda for the day or details of a flight and hotel. It also understands natural language, and will respond to queries such as, "Is my flight delayed?"

Google also hopes to simplify video calling with its upcoming Duo service, which will also be cross-platform between iOS and Android. It's a one-on-one video chat service that is optimized to work with connections both fast and slow, and like Allo, it's also based on a user's phone number.

One key Duo feature is "Knock Knock," which shows a live video preview of the caller before a user answers the chat request. Google says Duo is designed to feel "spontaneous and fun."

Calls on Duo are end-to-end encrypted. Google will also offer the same encryption with Allo for chats initiated in Incognito mode.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    NY1822NY1822 Posts: 621member
    nothing more personal than knowing the person you are texting is choosing from 3 bland responses to your text message...
    jony0dementuschikancrossladpatchythepirate
  • Reply 2 of 22
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Are these apps downloadable on the GoogPlay store or are they core android apps?

If not downloadable the headline should read "Coming to select android devices this summer".
    edited May 2016
  • Reply 3 of 22
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Apple it's time to take iMessage cross-platform. FFS please save us.

Rename FaceTime audio to something that makes sense (EarShot per example) and add EarShot and FaceTime to iMessage and kill the FaceTime app.

Apple text, audio and video communication cross-platform and out-of-the-box for Apple customers.

Boom.

And I'd go one step further and simplify signup ala WhatsApp etc. Signup should be impossibly easy.
    edited May 2016 jony0hjmnlpatchythepirate
  • Reply 4 of 22
    SnRaSnRa Posts: 65member
    cali said:
    Are these apps
    downloadable on the GoogPlay store or android core apps?

If not downloadable the headline should read "Coming to select android devices this summer".
    Downloadable, of course.
  • Reply 5 of 22
    applesauce007applesauce007 Posts: 1,698member
    No Thanks.  FaceTime works great.
    It is consistent and predictable.
    caliigorskyration al
  • Reply 6 of 22
    ireland said:

Rename FaceTime audio to something that makes sense (EarShot per example) and add EarShot and FaceTime to iMessage and kill the FaceTime app.

Apple text, audio and video communication cross-platform and out-of-the-box for Apple customers.

Boom.

And I'd go one step further and simplify signup ala WhatsApp etc. Signup should be impossibly easy.

Thought Apple tried to open iMessage and FaceTime?

Earshot is a terrible name sorry. I don't wanna ask people to "earshot me" either.

SnRa said:
    cali said:
    Are these apps
    downloadable on the GoogPlay store or android core apps?

Downloadable, of course.

Thought it was part of their next OS which won't be available on most devices.

edited May 2016 jay-tration al
  • Reply 7 of 22
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Maybe I don't have the right setting or something, but there is one thing that really annoys me about FaceTime.

When I'm on my iPad and I get a FaceTime call, it takes over the entire damn screen. I could be in the middle of a game, or doing something else, and Boom! FaceTime takes over the entire screen and ruins my game, or whatever else I was doing. I have notifications for Facetime off.

When I get a Skype call, there is a small notification on top of the screen, but FaceTime takes over 100% of my screen, and that is not cool at all.
  • Reply 8 of 22
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    ireland said:

Boom.

@ire, I like the idea of going cross platform with a single, composit app.  I would include new service capability unique to iOS and best exploited by Apple hardware.

edited May 2016 caliireland
  • Reply 9 of 22
    jesse90jesse90 Posts: 1member
    ireland said:

Boom.

Then why buy an iPhone? Apple wouldn't make any money if they made it compatible on android. Also it would be out of apples Ecosystem, big no no :)
    igorskyjay-tration alcali
  • Reply 10 of 22
    igorskyigorsky Posts: 754member
    ireland said:

Yeah they should definitely NOT do this.  Incidentally you can already start FaceTime from within iMessage.
    edited May 2016 jay-tration alcali
  • Reply 11 of 22
    igorskyigorsky Posts: 754member
    I don't see how these apps will gain any traction whatsoever.  I think most people are trying to use less messenger apps, not more...a billion daily users says that WhatsApp is the cross-platform messenger of choice.  If you're an iOS user, iMessage and WhatsApp is pretty much all you need to cover all platforms.
    edited May 2016 cali
  • Reply 12 of 22
    jony0jony0 Posts: 378member
    ireland said:
    Boom.

Agreed, although I would simply add a submenu to FaceTime to choose either Audio or Video.

And while they’re at it, I would go yet one more step and include screen sharing for iOS.

I help many friends and family on Mac but also iOS, sure wish I could share their screen but I’m not about to jailbreak my iPhone and theirs just to use Cydia's Veency. This could make Messages a one stop Communicator.

edited May 2016
  • Reply 13 of 22
    koopkoop Posts: 337member
    NY1822 said:
    nothing more personal than knowing the person you are texting is choosing from 3 bland responses to your text message...
    kind of my thoughts too. While it's suppose to learn your personality and how you would typically respond, I want to believe that the Universe isn't deterministic and prefer my chat program wouldn't be either. Google might be stretching on this. I'll stick with Whatsapp. They'll kill the program when it doesn't catch on in 2 years anyway.
    edited May 2016 igorskyration alcaliireland
  • Reply 14 of 22
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member
    cali said:
    Are these apps downloadable on the GoogPlay store or are they core android apps?

Since the article states availability for both iOS and Android then they would have to be standalone downloadable apps. 
    edited May 2016 cnocbui
  • Reply 15 of 22
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    igorsky said:
    I don't see how these apps will gain any traction whatsoever.  I think most people are trying to use less messenger apps, not more...a billion daily users says that WhatsApp is the cross-platform messenger of choice.  If you're an iOS user, iMessage and WhatsApp is pretty much all you need to cover all platforms.
    Except that whatsapp is a total piece of shit... Wechat is a far superior app
    ireland
  • Reply 16 of 22
    Just what we need another messaging app.  So google has like 3 different messenger apps right now too, way to go. 
    ration alcaliireland
  • Reply 17 of 22
    It's also been rock bottom feature set in favor of reliability but it needs some love. Video VoiceMail for instance. 
    cali
  • Reply 18 of 22
    jesse90 said:

Then why buy an iPhone? Apple wouldn't make any money if they made it compatible on android. Also it would be out of apples Ecosystem, big no no
    Because it's the best hardware and the best software and the best support and the best privacy and 4 years of OS updates for free all in one package.

I don't at all buy the argument that people wouldn't want to buy iPhone if iMessage was cross-platform. In a world where iMessage is cross platform and I own Apple devices my product experience is improved. It makes iPhone better. Lots of Android users would install iMessage and we iPhone customers could all delete Facebook messenger, kik, WhatsApp and every other chat app. We'd have an ideal out of the box iPhone solution for all internet commutation. And if Android users like iMessage it'd make moving to iPhone more enticing and a less risky prospect.
    edited May 2016 patchythepirate
  • Reply 19 of 22
    It's also been rock bottom feature set in favor of reliability but it needs some love. Video VoiceMail for instance. 
    That's freaking awesome. I've never thought of that.

ireland said:
    jesse90 said:

Then why buy an iPhone? Apple wouldn't make any money if they made it compatible on android. Also it would be out of apples Ecosystem, big no no
    Because it's the best hardware and the best software and the best support and the best privacy and 4 years of OS updates for free all in one package.

I don't at all buy the argument that people wouldn't want to buy iPhone if iMessage was cross-platform. In a world where iMessage is cross platform and I own Apple devices my product experience is improved. It makes iPhone better. Lots of Android users would install iMessage and that could mean we iPhone owners could finally have the ability to delete Facebook messenger, kik, WhatsApp and every other chat app. We'd finally have the ideal out of the box iPhone solution. And if Android users like iMessage it'd make moving to iPhone more enticing and a less risky prospect.
    Hard to say. Your friends could also stop buying iPhonies,  And Apple shouldn't make android users happy.

What Apple could do is develop the app for Droid but make the iPhone version superior. Otherwise why buy an iPhone when a cheap knockoff has similar software?
  • Reply 20 of 22
    jony0 said:
    ireland said:
    Boom.

Agreed, although I would simply add a submenu to FaceTime to choose either Audio or Video.

And while they’re at it, I would go yet one more step and include screen sharing for iOS.

I help many friends and family on Mac but also iOS, sure wish I could share their screen but I’m not about to jailbreak my iPhone and theirs just to use Cydia's Veency. This could make Messages a one stop Communicator.

Clever. Both for screen sharing suggestion and for the FaceTime submenu. Same page me you.