Control your Bentley's seat massagers from your wrist with new Apple Watch app

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited May 2016
Following the debut of its Bentayga SUV, British automaker Bentley Motors recently launched an eponymous Apple Watch app that goes beyond run-of-the-mill connected car features, putting control over creature comforts on the wrist of well-heeled owners.

The Bentayga TSR app, short for Bentayga Touch Screen Remote, is part of Bentley's marketing strategy for its new luxury SUV. Featuring deep integration with Bentayga's onboard infotainment platform, the iOS app features an Apple Watch component that offers comprehensive command functions over vehicle systems traditionally controlled via in-dash units.

For example, with the app drivers and passengers can adjust ventilation, air conditioning, entertainment assets, seat heaters, radio and even chair massagers, all with visual feedback directly on Apple Watch. Bentley's TSR product connects via Bluetooth, mirroring Apple's own inventions for remotely monitoring and controlling automobiles with an iPhone.

Other carmakers are also taking advantage of the wireless platform baked into Apple's device lineup. Thanks to a robust set connectivity APIs, auto manufacturers can serve up real-time information like trip duration and current speed directly to Watch. More advanced integrations support two-way communications for controlling car hardware, not simply infotainment system software.

Hyundai, for example, is currently marketing an Apple Watch app capable of remotely starting a user's vehicle, if the car is so equipped.

The Bentayga TSR app is available for free from the iOS App Store and requires iOS 5.1.1 or later to operate. And a $230,000 Bentley Bentayga, of course.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,949member
    Cool! Downloading now! 

:| 
    elijahgpulseimagescnocbuijackansi
  • Reply 2 of 22
    baconstangbaconstang Posts: 1,105member
    Finally!  That's all that was keeping me from picking up a Bentayga or two.
    king editor the gratewonkothesanesdw2001
  • Reply 3 of 22
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,280member
    Now there's the killer app I was waiting for to justify buying a Watch.
    king editor the gratelarrya
  • Reply 4 of 22
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member
    Some users may not fully appreciate the Bentley Bentayga and Mulsanne's new infotainment center. :neutral:  KitKat is quite an old OS.
    edited May 2016
  • Reply 5 of 22
    amarkapamarkap Posts: 69member
    I think these Watch Apps are cool and I applaud the developers and Bentley Motors for being innovative, but alas Apple really needs to do something to improve the experience of using Watch Apps.  I've downloaded a few and sometimes they never load properly and other (or actually most) times, the apps are so slow.  They don't even register swipes and presses sometimes.  And this even of their own Apple Apps.  Anyway, it will all get better and cool things like this will really drive up Apple Watch sales and make having an Apple Watch cool and a must have. 
    libertykrsanantksundaram
  • Reply 6 of 22
    amarkap said:
    I think these Watch Apps are cool and I applaud the developers and Bentley Motors for being innovative, but alas Apple really needs to do something to improve the experience of using Watch Apps.  I've downloaded a few and sometimes they never load properly and other (or actually most) times, the apps are so slow.  They don't even register swipes and presses sometimes.  And this even of their own Apple Apps.  Anyway, it will all get better and cool things like this will really drive up Apple Watch sales and make having an Apple Watch cool and a must have. 

I agree 100% with this statement.  I get so nervous when someone asks me to "show me what you can do with your watch" because I know most of the time, apps (including Apple's) take forever to load - or don't load - and it's somewhat embarrassing that I've paid $500 bucks for a watch that doesn't work as it should.  I tried using Apple Pay on my watch the other day, double-clicked the side button - - - wouldn't open my credit card so I could tap-to-pay - - it kept opening my fav contacts dial instead.  Get home later, double-clicked my side button and wah-lah - there appeared my credit card ready to pay.  Annoying & disappointing.

I really hope Apple Watch 2 is a vast improvement in responsiveness and reliability that I've become accustomed to with my other Apple products.

edited May 2016 pulseimagesamarkapanantksundaram
  • Reply 7 of 22
    amarkapamarkap Posts: 69member
    amarkap said:

I agree 100% with this statement.  I get so nervous when someone asks me to "show me what you can do with your watch" because I know most of the time, apps (including Apple's) take forever to load - or don't load - and it's somewhat embarrassing that I've paid $500 bucks for a watch that doesn't work as it should.  I tried using Apple Pay on my watch the other day, double-clicked the side button - - - wouldn't open my credit card so I could tap-to-pay - - it kept opening my fav contacts dial instead.  Get home later, double-clicked my side button and wah-lah - there appeared my credit card ready to pay.  Annoying & disappointing.

I really hope Apple Watch 2 is a vast improvement in responsiveness and reliability that I've become accustomed to with my other Apple products.

Every.Single.Time with me and that Apple Pay.  I have done exactly what you described.  One time I got so frustrated that the Credit Card didn't come up that I just pulled out the bloody credit card and paid for it old school.  I mean it's my fault I don't use the feature enough but it was just funny to read someone else doing the same thing! :)

irwinmaurice
  • Reply 8 of 22
    why-why- Posts: 305member
    I've never read a more bourgeoisie headline
  • Reply 9 of 22
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    I've been having a bad Watch-related couple of months. Bluetooth and wifi pretty much stopped working on my Watch a couple of months ago. After weeks of back and forth (and a lot of very poor, time-wasting advice from Apple customer service reps, something I've not experienced in over three decades of dealing with the company) I was sent a replacement. It worked beautifully for a few weeks, but all of a sudden, as of four or five days ago, I discovered that the battery stops charging.... at exactly 63% capacity!

Time to go through the Apple Support grind again.... Ugh....
  • Reply 10 of 22
    Amazing. I'm sure fiddling with the tiny controls on your phone (hope you charged it last night!) is far easier than pushing that dedicated button right in front of you as you are sitting in the car. Maybe soon I can steer the car with my watch instead of that clumsy steering wheel in front of me.
    cnocbuigatorguy
  • Reply 11 of 22
    christopher126christopher126 Posts: 4,366member
    why- said:
    Really. Bloody plutocrats! Bentley's get ~12 miles/gal. Stupid, stupid people. I guess we'll have to kill more dinosaurs or something.

Food for thought: From WWll to 1980 all America's servicemen/women KIA did not die in the Middle East. Since 1980 to present all servicemen/women KIA died in the Middle East (think "oil," "Escalades," "Hummers," "pickup trucks" and, oh yeah, "Bentley's!"). 

Hello.

Stupid, stupid people. So sad.
    edited May 2016
  • Reply 12 of 22
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    why- said:
    This is my  favourite app:

Cabin Control

Cabin Control allows you to adjust environmental options aboard the latest-generation Gulfstream aircraft. The app links to the all-new Gulfstream Cabin Management System, helping passengers create the perfect cabin environment. Simple navigation provides control of everything from the temperature to entertainment to lights. It’s all at your fingertips.

I just speak and my flight attendant uses it see to my comfort.

mike1
  • Reply 13 of 22
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member

I'm diffident about owning an Apple Watch.

• Reply 14 of 22
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    I'm diffident about owning a Bently.  There not even British anymore.  ;)
  • Reply 15 of 22
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Do we really have to write the article like this?  "Control your Bentley's seats..."   I would bet my life that less than .1% of AI readers own a Bentley.  
  • Reply 16 of 22
    LoneStar88LoneStar88 Posts: 325member
    I'm diffident about owning a Bently.  There not even British anymore.  ;)
    And you're not speaking proper English anymore. It's "They're" not "There."
    mike1
  • Reply 17 of 22
    seanie248seanie248 Posts: 180member
    This app is just pure stupidity in ANY car. 
    I can understand remote-start or keyless entry, but putting a feature on your wrist or phone that is to replace something that has a control at arms reach is just pointless. It doesnt save you any effort at all. 

Next, an app that will display LIVE on your Wrist, the button you just pressed on the keyboard you are typing on.

Smartwatches are great, but some ideas are just dumb.
  • Reply 18 of 22
    why-why- Posts: 305member
    why- said:
    Really. Bloody plutocrats! Bentley's get ~12 miles/gal. Stupid, stupid people. I guess we'll have to kill more dinosaurs or something.

Food for thought: From WWll to 1980 all America's servicemen/women KIA did not die in the Middle East. Since 1980 to present all servicemen/women KIA died in the Middle East (think "oil," "Escalades," "Hummers," "pickup trucks" and, oh yeah, "Bentley's!"). 

Hello.

I'll be honest here I have no idea what you're trying to say
    mike1
  • Reply 19 of 22
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,280member
    why- said:

Hello.

I'll be honest here I have no idea what you're trying to say
    He sounds envious.
  • Reply 20 of 22
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    amarkap said:

Every.Single.Time with me and that Apple Pay.  I have done exactly what you described.  One time I got so frustrated that the Credit Card didn't come up that I just pulled out the bloody credit card and paid for it old school.  I mean it's my fault I don't use the feature enough but it was just funny to read someone else doing the same thing! :)
    user error. you're panicking and not double-clicking (but it would be nice to swap the button action so single is default for AP).

but why would you pull out your credit card in frustration instead of just tapping your iPhone?