I/O 2016: Google's new Home hardware takes on Apple's HomeKit and Siri

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 55
    EsquireCatsEsquireCats Posts: 1,268member
    Well done Google, it's actually even more creepy than Amazon's. (Bonus: it borrows from the same god-awful design aesthetic as the Q.)

Is it just me or has this whole IO either been playing catch up or rehashing existing features by integrating them further with Google search? They're really painting themselves into a corner if they think they can add ads into these services down the line.

Meanwhile I still find it comical that they can say "private" to describe a chat client that sends off your live conversation for contextual information. Google and I seem to have very different ideas to what privacy means.
    edited May 2016 badmonk
  • Reply 42 of 55
    SnRaSnRa Posts: 65member
    SnRa said:

I'm talking about equivalent features, not the other standards themselves. You don't seem to understand. The PowerVR 6 series GPU's do NOT support these features.
    My point is that if you can throw away a feature that is part of the standard A, then that it is not a standard A anymore...due to A being a defined set of features. 
    If you mention that certain hardware supports standard A, then whatever A has in that list, has to be supported by a certain hardware piece. 

So, if hardware1 supports Vulkan 1.0, it supports its fully. 
    And if hardware 2 (in specs) mentioned support of Vulkan 1.0, then it supports that list/set of features fully as well. 
    This means that both have the same Vulkan capabilities.

Now, some of that hardware MIGHT have additional capabilities beyond 1.0 set, but that is irrelevant for the discussion, especially because there is no younger than 1.0 vulkan specs sheet..
    It doesn't support it fully. That's the point. They make that quite clear. Even in the specification document section 21 (tessellation), section 22 (geometry shaders), etc. are listed.
  • Reply 43 of 55
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    kevin kee said:
    loekf said:
    No competition for HomeKit, because HomeKit is a joke. It's a missed opportunity for Apple. They could have made the AppleTV the central hub, but looks like they insist on buillding it around your phone (or iPad).

I have an Amazon Echo here, loving it.
    One word: premature Amazon Echo is premature and Google knew it, that's why they can't release anything until the earliest end of year (and that usually never happened). Google is all about talk first deliver later. Do you really think Apple don't have special team developing HomeKit as we speak? Rest assured there will be great upgrade coming, but Apple will never talked about it if they are not ready yet. Unfortunately Google does.
    There's nothing wrong with stating what you are going to do or what you want to do and then doing it. We announced we were going to the moon years before we did. Babe Ruth signaled where he was going to hit the ball for a home run. Many of people have stated that they were going to build and business one day and they do it. Just because Apple doesn't do it doesn't mean it's wrong.
    Wasn't the Apple Watch officially announced more than 6 months before it was ever available for sale. Heck the final specs weren't even set IIRC when Apple did the presentation. Not so different than Google or Microsoft announcing. upcoming products is it?
    lord amhransingularity
  • Reply 44 of 55
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    gatorguy said:
    There's nothing wrong with stating what you are going to do or what you want to do and then doing it. We announced we were going to the moon years before we did. Babe Ruth signaled where he was going to hit the ball for a home run. Many of people have stated that they were going to build and business one day and they do it. Just because Apple doesn't do it doesn't mean it's wrong.
    Wasn't the Apple Watch officially announced more than 6 months before it was ever available for sale. Heck the final specs weren't even set IIRC when Apple did the presentation. Not so different than Google or Microsoft announcing. upcoming products is it?
    Apple tends to preannounce products or revisions to give developers time to create apps before the product is launched. I think they did the same with AppleTV.

This doesn't really apply to Google's snoop-in-the-corner here. 

• Reply 45 of 55
    Of course, just as the sun sets in the west, google's product is again incredibly fugly. Who is going to want that thing sitting in their home? It's actually pretty funny how consistently bad google design is.

Anyway, no one (normal people) wants to shout across the room to a creepy looking speaker.

The obvious answer is the Apple Watch (perhaps a faster version of it anyway).

Also, IMO it is absurd that Apple is taking this long to come out with an easy to use, centralized Home app (assuming it is actually coming in iOS 10). It should be obvious that there's no way there will be mass market appeal without it, so in this particular case, Apple was either incompetent, or just dragging their feet. I initially just assumed that they were waiting for more viable entrants into the market product-wise, but there have been plenty for quite a while now I think. Maybe I'm missing something.

Don't get me wrong, Apple is in no way doomed, but it's just unfortunate that Apple seems to squander so many opportunities to take advantage of and expand their amazing ecosystem (which is propped up by amazing hardware and system software).

Btw, I would love it if Apple came out with a few products themselves for the home, such as independent light bulbs, sensors, and maybe a video/audio doorbell.
    edited May 2016
  • Reply 46 of 55
    blitz2blitz2 Posts: 34member
    sog35 said:
    Home automation is really a blah market with very little profit potential.

No reason for Apple to waste too much time at it.

To me it makes zero sense since you can do 99% of this stuff with your Watch or phone already.
    no, you can't
  • Reply 47 of 55
    JeffreyMJeffreyM Posts: 1member
    People that don't like HomeKit, don't understand HomeKit. HomeKit is about software and control. It's about sharing that control with others in the house. It's about having different manufactures with different devices and protocols all talking to each other. That control can be from any iOS device using any HomeKit compatible software. I use the Home app and my wife likes the Eve app. We both have the same control and functionality. Apple TV is NOT a device to control you lights and thermostat while you're in the house... it is there to provide remote access. I would agree, that an 'always listening' device for HomeKit would be nice, but with most HomeKit compatiable systems that control things (mainly lights and thermostats) from Lutron, Nest, Echbee, Philips, you can use an Amazon Eco for voice, AND still use your iOS device with HomeKit with no issue.
  • Reply 48 of 55
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    buckalec said:
    I'm sure the NSA are thrilled!

Imaging when the FBI come to Google with a warrant and orders them to listen into a user with one their systems so FBI ease drop on the conversation going on in someone home. Google will have to comply since they would be no different than a phone company at that point especially if you can may a phone call with one of those systems.
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 49 of 55
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    thrang said:
    Home automation is very complex to do with any sophistication - Apple will not get in the business of controlling your lights, appliances, and entertainment equipment except for perhaps very limited and focused ways. They will leave the bulk of it to integrators, and Google and Amazon will have to do the same. Even Nest is turning into a headache for them, because of all the failures and various systems the thermostat must connect to, and the need for an electrician/HVAC guy if you're not handy or run into problems. Long term, Apple needs manufacturers to build Homekit protocol support into their devices (light switches, outlets, bulbs, AV equipment, appliances, etc) which will take years, if ever. It is a very slow burn project in my estimation.

This is true, as a person who have been doing hobby home automation since the 80's and X-10 and I am engineer and know what I am doing and I can not begin to tell you the list of issue that exist in most home today which does not make this stuff simple. Most people think because they can turn on a few lights in their house the thermostat turns on and off with a schedule they automated their house. I recently went to an Insteon system and it has all kinds of issues you have to deal with and it works with homekit, but not very well, its mostly an Insteon issue than an Apple issue.
  • Reply 50 of 55
    maestro64 said:
    buckalec said:
    I'm sure the NSA are thrilled!

Imaging when the FBI come to Google with a warrant and orders them to listen into a user with one their systems so FBI ease drop on the conversation going on in someone home. Google will have to comply since they would be no different than a phone company at that point especially if you can may a phone call with one of those systems.
    And if Apple were "told" to enable Siri on a users device so "they" could listen in? Aren't you worried Apple would have to comply? Don't be silly sir. 
  • Reply 51 of 55
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    onlyhope said:
    Let's see, Google can read your email, track every click you make while you're online and has exposed (via Android OS) your private data to just about any hacker in the world. Now they will have the opportunity to know where you live, when you are home and what you are doing while you are home (they're listening) - including what room of the house your are in.

Isn't that handy...
    Yeah, but the same applies to the Anazon Echo and Amazon is selling a lot of those. 

Google's demo video was very, very impressive if it performs as advertised. It looks to be more sophisticated than Amazon Echo and it looks light-years more advanced than Siri, which I personally find almost unusable for anything more complicated than setting timers or getting the weather.
  • Reply 52 of 55
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    wiggin said:
    cali said:
    Yeah Apple is really dragging their feet here.
    I do think iPhone is a better hub since it's always with you and not in another room, but how much progress has HomeKit really accomplished? Apple TV was certainly lacking a ton of features and opportunities. 

And where's the Home app?
    HealthKit/Health
    HomeKit/Home.
    i figured we would get Home at least by iOS 9.
    Actually, I think the iPhone is a horrible hub...because it's always with you, even when you are away from home. It's a great interface to a hub, which needs to stay home to control your devices. There are many different protocols/methods to communicate with smart devices (wifi, bluetooh, zwave, zigbee, insteon, etc) and we are a long way off from having any sort of unifying standard. Your phone is simply incapable to communicating with a large number of smart devices without going through an intermediary. If I need to go and purchase a hub (SmartThings, Wink, Iris, Hue Bridge, etc) I'm going to end up using that hub's supplied app to control it.

Apple could have made Apple TV a smart home hub with zigbee and zwave support and a control app on your phone and it would have likely crushed nearly all of the other smart home systems out there and placed Apple in control of a large portion of the smart home market and collected billions in "Made for Apple Home" licensing fees.
    Making the AppleTV the hub would be a mistake. I think Google has the right approach with their new Google Home device (that looks like an oversized air freshener). It has the potential to blow away the Amazon Echo. I should note that I would never get any of these home control devices since they look like an open door for the NSA and the FBI. Google or Amazon could be given a court order to turn over every conversation in your home with one of these stealth devices and a recent statement from the FBI regarding the Echo seemed to indicate exactly that.
    edited May 2016
  • Reply 53 of 55
    wiggin said:
    cali said:
    Yeah Apple is really dragging their feet here.
    I do think iPhone is a better hub since it's always with you and not in another room, but how much progress has HomeKit really accomplished? Apple TV was certainly lacking a ton of features and opportunities. 

And where's the Home app?
    HealthKit/Health
    HomeKit/Home.
    i figured we would get Home at least by iOS 9.
    Actually, I think the iPhone is a horrible hub...because it's always with you, even when you are away from home. It's a great interface to a hub, which needs to stay home to control your devices. There are many different protocols/methods to communicate with smart devices (wifi, bluetooh, zwave, zigbee, insteon, etc) and we are a long way off from having any sort of unifying standard. Your phone is simply incapable to communicating with a large number of smart devices without going through an intermediary. If I need to go and purchase a hub (SmartThings, Wink, Iris, Hue Bridge, etc) I'm going to end up using that hub's supplied app to control it.

Apple could have made Apple TV a smart home hub with zigbee and zwave support and a control app on your phone and it would have likely crushed nearly all of the other smart home systems out there and placed Apple in control of a large portion of the smart home market and collected billions in "Made for Apple Home" licensing fees.
    Making the AppleTV the hub would be a mistake. I think Google has the right approach with their new Google Home device (that looks like an oversized air freshener). It has the potential to blow away the Amazon Echo. I should note that I would never get any of these home control devices since they look like an open door for the NSA and the FBI. Google or Amazon could be given a court order to turn over every conversation in your home with one of these stealth devices and a recent statement from the FBI regarding the Echo seemed to indicate the same.
    I would wager that every one of us here has a device at home or even with us all the time with the ability to "listen" for a keyphase to enable voice search features, not very different from Amazon or Google's standalone in-home assistants. Why would it only be those two and not iPhones, Android phones, Microsoft phones, various tablets and laptops, etc that could supposedly be commandeered by the FBI, CIA or NSA? Personally I've got far too many real everyday things to be concerned with to bother with worrying if my daughter's iPhone with Siri is taping our conversations, much less with a human on the other end taking notes. 
    edited May 2016
  • Reply 54 of 55
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    jason98 said:
    loekf said:
    No competition for HomeKit, because HomeKit is a joke. It's a missed opportunity for Apple. 

And who do you think to blame?
    Tim should be out.
    Yep Tim has dropped balls all over the place.
    I looked at the new iPad Pro's and decided that it would probably take 3-4 years for them to trickle out enough new features to make upgrading from an iPad Air worthwhile.

After force Forstall out for iMaps, apple maps just inches forward.    

Apple TV still has no subscription service plan.

Siri is in 3rd or 4th place as far compared to google now, cortana, and now amazon echo.
    Siri is important to the phone, watch, and Apple TV.   It should be so much better than what it is.
    Apple needs to can Cook and bring in someone with experience with Software and system development- even if it means getting rid of Jony Ive and his "meh" designs.