Apple quietly toughens rules forcing passcode unlocks of Touch ID devices

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 35
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,242member
    gorobotgo said:
    ... thanks to Touch ID being so convenient, I changed my passcode to an unguessable 20+ character string, and having to type that in first thing in the morning, still half-asleep, is a challenge that I really don't need in my life.
    So you have this code written down somewhere? Doesn't that defeat the whole purpose?
  • Reply 22 of 35
    lostkiwilostkiwi Posts: 639member
    I think it should be 9 hours. That will stop the early morning fumbling around trying to remember a long long password in the morning  I think the 8 hours deadline will encourage people to use a shorter less secure password, which seems a little counter productive. 

Not everybody has their phone on just before they fall asleep. 

I thought it was a good idea to drop the limit down from 48 hours though. 
  • Reply 23 of 35
    plovellplovell Posts: 824member
    icoco3 said:
    plovell said:
    It's not new - it has been there for some time. I'm not sure if it started with iOS 9 but it was early on in the 9.x releases. It was confusing at first because the prompt was about "after 48 hours" and I had been using my iPhone every day. The message has since been updated to eliminate the confusion.
    I thought it was every 48 hours.  A new feature should be to control how you want it applied.  A user can control how often it requires a pass-code.
    "I thought it was every 48 hours." And so it is. And every six (my count was seven) days. And after a restart. WHICHEVER COMES FIRST.
  • Reply 24 of 35
    maltzmaltz Posts: 454member
    1983 said:
    "If Touch ID hasn't been used in the last eight hours" Does that mean every morning people will only be able to unlock their phone via the passcode? That's a little tedious.

No....

if it hasn't been unlocked [using the passcode] for six days *AND* Touch ID hasn't been used in the last eight hours

So at most, every six days.  Which has been my experience since upgrading to iOS 9.  As several posters (and the article) have mentioned, this isn't new.

• Reply 25 of 35
    plovellplovell Posts: 824member
    linkman said:
    No TouchID within the last 8 hours? The time to obtain a court order to compel a fingerprint unlock will exceed this in almost all cases.
    I don't know where the "eight hours" thing has come from. I have never experienced it. As far as I know, it's 48 hours, or seven days (some say six, my experience is seven) or after a restart. Whichever comes first. I have never, ever encountered an eight-hour expiry.
  • Reply 26 of 35
    theKiwitheKiwi Posts: 1member
    I don't have a TouchID device - but have noticed something that I thought was a lessening of security.

I had a 6 digit passcode set, and my iPhone 5 was set so that I got the empty entry box and the OK button to tap on to enter the code - thereby not telling anyone how many digits were in my code, but I could tap them all in from the larger number keyboard

Now I don't get the empty text entry box with the OK button - I get a display showing 6 tiny dots that auto enters the password once 6 digits have been entered - thereby telling people that my passcode is EXACTLY 6 digits long.

Anyone else come across this since upgrading to 9.3.2?

Roger
  • Reply 27 of 35
    Jamman2Jamman2 Posts: 1member
    Apple needs to implement a "disable" Touch ID finger so one can designate a finger that will lock the phone further to password mode. For example maybe my right thumb is my normal Touch ID unlock finger, but my left thumb will deactivate Touch ID immediately. 
    This way someone being coerced to unlock with their fingerprint (which was just allowed in a court ruling) could further lock the phone down. Or let's say I get pulled over and the cop is walking towards my car, I could quickly use the deactivate finger to further lock down the phone. 
    They could even offer further options like a full wipe or a phone shutdown or sending a pre-programmed emergency text or email with gps coordinates to someone. Or immediately start recording video or audio. 
    Like a "panic finger"

Please email Apple and request this feature. 
    roakecrowley
  • Reply 28 of 35
    roakeroake Posts: 811member
    Apple has silently added another condition under which an iPhone or iPad user has to unlock their device with a passcode, despite having Touch ID enabled, according to a report.

iOS will now ask for a passcode if it hasn't been unlocked that way for six days, and Touch ID hasn't been used in the last eight hours, MacWorld said. A quoted Apple spokesperson claimed the rule has been in place since iOS 9 was released in Sept. 2015, but MacWorld noted this is inconsistent with the iOS Security guide, which only mentioned the change starting May 12. Apple declined to offer an explanation.

The company has several such rules in place, the two most common forcing a passcode unlock if a device is rebooted or hasn't been unlocked for 48 hours. Others require a passcode after new fingers are added to Touch ID, a person tries five unsuccessful Touch ID logins, or someone issues a remote lock via Find My iPhone.

If the discovered rule is genuinely new, it's not clear how or when Apple might have made the change, since iOS 9.3.1 was released in March and 9.3.2 arrived earlier this week.

Regardless, the tactic is presumably a means of reinforcing the security of Apple devices. It could potentially have an impact on U.S. law enforcement, which has already begun seeking court orders compelling people to unlock iPhones with their fingerprints.
    What Apple needs to add is a feature causing an insta-lock and erase if I use a preset fingerprint (s).  That way, just register your right index finger (or some other "obvious " fingerprint) to lock and destroy.  If forced to touch the home button with a fingerprint.

"What?  You have a court order forcing me to mash my finger on the home button?  I'm nervous.  I THINK it was THIS finger..."  (touch)

iPhone begins to silently wipe data...

[EDIT: Looks like Jamman2 had essentially the same idea.  I agree... Let's email Apple and request this feature.]
    edited May 2016 crowley
  • Reply 29 of 35
    moracmorac Posts: 22member
    I don't think this works the way it's supposed to. Every now and then I'll get a message saying I need to enter my passcode if I don't use it for around 8 to 10 hours, but I've definitely unlocked the device with Touch Id in the last 6 days. It looks like there may be a bug where it forgets the day count and simply goes by hours every now and then.
  • Reply 30 of 35
    fxgpvfxgpv Posts: 8member
    This is very stupid. OK to increase security but now every day after waking up I have to place the password again!!! so goes the point for touchID.
  • Reply 31 of 35
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    This definitely proves I need to get more sleep. The last time I entered a passcode was a few days ago when I upgraded. Before that.....I have no idea. I go months without putting in a passcode and it is usually because TouchID doesn't recognize my print for one reason or another.
  • Reply 32 of 35
    At what point is this obstruction of justice. I am all for privacy bit if you are involved in an ongoing criminal investigation you shoul be compelled to unlock devices Apple should be aiding law enforcement here more. As an officer myself I want a pedophiles phone ransacked so we can see if he or she has photos to use as evidence and even better if they have conversation with others of their kind that we can bring in. If the police have a warrant signed by a judge let them do their job.
  • Reply 33 of 35
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Jamman2 said:
    Apple needs to implement a "disable" Touch ID finger so one can designate a finger that will lock the phone further to password mode. For example maybe my right thumb is my normal Touch ID unlock finger, but my left thumb will deactivate Touch ID immediately. 
    This way someone being coerced to unlock with their fingerprint (which was just allowed in a court ruling) could further lock the phone down. Or let's say I get pulled over and the cop is walking towards my car, I could quickly use the deactivate finger to further lock down the phone. 
    They could even offer further options like a full wipe or a phone shutdown or sending a pre-programmed emergency text or email with gps coordinates to someone. Or immediately start recording video or audio. 
    Like a "panic finger"

I like this idea a lot.  Programmable fingerprint actions; SmartTouch or something similar.
  • Reply 34 of 35
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Jamman2 said:
    Like a "panic finger"

Or you could just save yourself the legal troubles and not use TouchID to unlock. See, here's the thing... If law enforcement gives you a direct order, such as "put your hands up" or "don't move or we'll shoot", then you must comply. You wouldn't have time to fiddle with your phone, plus you could face additional charges for disobeying an officer (on top of putting your life in danger).
  • Reply 35 of 35
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Jamman2 said:
    Like a "panic finger"

Or you could just save yourself the legal troubles and not use TouchID to unlock. See, here's the thing... If law enforcement gives you a direct order, such as "put your hands up" or "don't move or we'll shoot", then you must comply. You wouldn't have time to fiddle with your phone, plus you could face additional charges for disobeying an officer (on top of putting your life in danger).
    I don't think anyone was suggesting using your phone in any sense when there's a gun pointed at you.