iPhone marketshare dips to 14.8% amid tougher Chinese competition, Gartner says

Comments

• Reply 21 of 65
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    hjmnl said:
    What evidence is there that people want to buy a new phone every year? People don't buy new cars or furniture or appliances every year. Why does a phone need to look new every year? To me that's just change for change sake. Honestly I think slowing smartphone sales are more about maturing technology to the point where these devices are good enough. They're fast enough and the displays are high quality enough for what most people use them for. Other than cameras and battery life I'm not sure there's a lot of new technology that will make people want to buy a new phone every year. I'm not convinced that VR is going to be a mass market thing. Nothing that requires a big contraption on your face will.
    Because it's technology. What's coming out today is outdated tomorrow. Two years is just too long in the technology industry. You can always skip a model but it has to be modern to keep playing in the field.
    Nonsense. The only people that care about this are the small percentage of tech junkies that have ADD and get easily bored.
  • Reply 22 of 65
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    cnocbui said:
    Oh how so? As far as I know Samsung hasn't released sales data on the S7, nor have all the Chinese knock-off brands. Research firms pull these numbers out of their arse and then tech sites publish them as they're good click bait to start fanboy wars.
    Well Tim Cook did announce a decline in sales.  It doesn't actually matter whether you, I or anyone else here believes Gartner or not.  As Shakespeare said, 'truth will out'.  Samsung did announce their results a while back and they indicated an increase in revenue.
    An increase in revenue from Galaxy S7? And why would that be surprising in the quarter it launched?
    cali
  • Reply 23 of 65
    jcdinkinsjcdinkins Posts: 114member
    Buying a Xiaomi phone does include the added bonus of having spyware pre-loaded for you.
    calipatchythepiratelostkiwipscooter63
  • Reply 24 of 65
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    SnRa said:
    cropr said:

Perhaps you don't realize it but in the $150 - $250 price range the quality of the smartphones has increased a lot in the last 12 months.  
    Definitely, people are too unaware of what the actual competition is.

For example, number 5 on the list is Xiaomi, they, for the most part, operate only in China, bits of South Asia and more recently India.

This is a $106 Xiaomi smartphone, the Redmi 3:

It's all metal, has an IPS display, a mid-range Qualcomm chip with 4G LTE, 2 GB RAM, 16 GB storage, microSD, dual SIM and a 13 MP camera.

A few years ago I was looking for a phone for my son and came across the One+ and thought Apple and their shareholders ought to be very, very nervous.  I ended up getting him an LG G2, but the One + was a close-call.

Panasonic have a midrange phone (T50) intended for the Indian market that has almost no bezels and makes an iP6 look old.

sirlance99techlovergatorguy
  • Reply 25 of 65
    it's all about pricing now. The technologies across the devices are close enough for the average person to not really focus too much on them. All of the key functionalities and apps exist on both iPhone and Android so it goes right to the next question a user has and that's price. Hard core users of either platforms, the kind that come to these types of sites, are in the minority of consumers. The technology itself is reaching a point to where you don't have that much room to develop and enhance the devices and further for the average user. The iPhone 7 will be largely bought by iPhone 5 and 5s users (that didn't get a 6s)...not many 6 users and very little 6s users will make the switch unless their phone is broken in some way. There just won't be a big enough difference between the 6 and 7 for the non-techie to care about and the result will be lower sales.
  • Reply 26 of 65
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    SnRa said:
    cali said:
    Durr Hurr who do you think stole iOS? Durr...
    There is plenty of innovation from both camps (clearly), all you're doing is expressing your ignorance to the market outside of Apple... All 85.2% of it.

Android software and hardware has also had a major influence on iOS, from multitasking to notifications, NFC/mobile payments, voice commands, device size, etc.  
    Android is an iOS ripoff.

i don't care about the "rest of the market". That's over 1,300 companies and over 3,000 iPhonies. What do they matter?

No, device size IS NOT an innovation, it's something fandroids pulled out of their ignorant asses.
    patchythepiratelostkiwipscooter63
  • Reply 27 of 65
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    cnocbui said:
    SnRa said:

For example, number 5 on the list is Xiaomi, they, for the most part, operate only in China, bits of South Asia and more recently India.

It's all metal, has an IPS display, a mid-range Qualcomm chip with 4G LTE, 2 GB RAM, 16 GB storage, microSD, dual SIM and a 13 MP camera.

A few years ago I was looking for a phone for my son and came across the One+ and thought Apple and their shareholders ought to be very, very nervous.  I ended up getting him an LG G2, but the One + was a close-call.

Panasonic have a midrange phone (T50) intended for the Indian market that has almost no bezels and makes an iP6 look old.

Another wannabe iPhone.

all see is a cheap ass iPhony. I see no value.
    JanNLpscooter63
  • Reply 28 of 65
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    cnocbui said:
    slurpy said:
    No, the fact that you're a troll makes you a troll. Basically, shitting on Apple at every opportunity, and using language that isn't in the least bit objective. Being "critical" does not mean shitting on a company 100% of the time and giving them credit 0% of the time, which is what you do. No, you don't "want Apple to be the best again", the most cliched troll excuse ever.  You revel and feel joy from bashing them, that much is evident, which is why you feel the need to lie and exaggerate when making all your claims. How can you "want" Apple to be the best, when your giddily predicting the worst for their future facilities, products, and roadmap, based on absolutely nothing?

You're so completely full of shit, and it's only a matter of time before you get banned. 

If anyone should be banned it is you.  Your frequent personal attacks are irksome and constitute the principle intent of at least 90% of your posts.
    Get outta here. He's doing garbage collection. Righteous work, if you ask me.

Maybe you're a little too sensitive because you leave a lot of negative litter behind around here yourself. And if you think hjmnl is contributing anything useful, that just adds to your own bad vibes profile.
    patchythepiratelostkiwijax44pscooter63
  • Reply 29 of 65
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    cnocbui said:
    SnRa said:

That Panasonic looks like junk to me. So innovative and modern to have a square plasti-shiny bezel around the camera lens, though.
  • Reply 30 of 65
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    mj web said:
    Perhaps its time to stop resting on Apple's laurels and make a new iPhone every year instead if every (snooze) two years?
    What evidence is there that people want to buy a new phone every year? People don't buy new cars or furniture or appliances every year. Why does a phone need to look new every year? To me that's just change for change sake. Honestly I think slowing smartphone sales are more about maturing technology to the point where these devices are good enough. They're fast enough and the displays are high quality enough for what most people use them for. Other than cameras and battery life I'm not sure there's a lot of new technology that will make people want to buy a new phone every year. I'm not convinced that VR is going to be a mass market thing. Nothing that requires a big contraption on your face will.
    Holy crap, I agree with you!!  I don't think that's ever happened before.

But that doesn't mean that Apple shouldn't release a new iPhone every year.   Even if people only buy a new phone every three years, a third of the people would buy the new model each year.   I think Apple needs to stay ahead technologically or there won't be a reason to continue to buy Apple other than deciding to hate Android.   While I agree that there shouldn't be change for change's sake, I think Apple does need to do a better job of advancing the art and science, whether that's better display, better battery life, higher-quality audio (especially when not using headphones), new Apple-produced applications, more advances to the UI, substantial improvements to Siri, etc.   While some of these things are related more to iOS than to a new phone release, it does feel like in both the phone line and in the computer lines that Apple has gotten locked into just incremental change.   Considering the incredible size of its workforce, one would think they could move the technology along faster.   

I don't care that the next iPhone might have a glass back.   I care about how a new phone will work better for me.   I care whether Siri will understand what I'm asking it to do and provide a real response and not just link to some website; how good the audio sounds, how long the battery will last, how good the camera is when I don't carry my full camera kit, how many apps will use touch ID so I don't have to remember passwords, etc.

Especially since the competitors have stolen Apple's IP, Apple has to stay ahead of them.   Considering some of the photographic, display and water resistant capabilities of competitors's phones, it doesn't look to me like Apple is staying ahead and I have to wonder whether Apple's arrogance is getting in the way again.   

I'm not surprised that in the Chinese market, consumers are seeking out other less expensive phones.  I was amazed they bought the iPhone in the first place in such large numbers. 

And as an aside, OPPO makes fantastic high-end Blu-ray players and does really terrific customer service.  I haven't seen their phone in-person, but from the specs, it looks quite nice.    
  • Reply 31 of 65
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    SnRa said:

Android software and hardware has also had a major influence on iOS, from multitasking to notifications, NFC/mobile payments, voice commands, device size, etc.  
    I'm not so sure I would characterize it as Android having a major influence on iOS. Keep in mind that Apple adapted iOS and the iPhone from OS X and their other hardware accomplishments where they have had multitasking, notifications, voice commands and lots of large screens, years before Android popped up. It is not like they saw an Android device and said "Oh wow why didn't we think of that?" Apple was just taking their time to get those features done right when the CPU was powerful enough to allow it without stuttering or draining the battery. Also Japanese feature phones had NFC payments like forever, so I wouldn't give Android any credit for inventing that.
    edited May 2016 patchythepirate
  • Reply 32 of 65
    512ke512ke Posts: 782member
    Not surprising.

Apple's competition gets better and/or cheaper while the iPhone stays the same. 

• Reply 33 of 65
    redstaterredstater Posts: 49member
    cali said:
    This is fucking disgusting.

The fact you can just steal a company's hard work and creation and sell it right next to the original is sad.

I watched the full 2007 iPhone keynote yesterday and it changed my view even more on IP theft. I have ZERO respect for the knockoff brands and have even more respect for Apple.

the part where Steve says "we filed over 200 patents for this phone and we plan on protecting them". It's like he truly believed his work would be protected but the U.S. government didn't give a shit and it's probably worse in other countries.

Imagine the billions of dollars IP theft had caused Apple?
    IP theft? The Microsoft Windows case from decades ago demonstrated that general UX/UI concepts aren't copyrightable. Because of this, Apple never accused Google of infringement, and was only able to get a small judgment from Samsung because they went beyond general UX/UI and specifically set out to make their product look as much like an iPhone as possible, which got them dinged over "trade dress" instead of intellectual property (which is why the judgment was so small.) The courts, both domestic and international, have long held that taking UX/UI concepts is no more "stealing" than using general hardware designs, such as what Apple did when they created their own ARM CPUs. In order to be consistent, you would need the position that Apple should have designed their own CPUs entirely from the ground up. Otherwise, you would be taking the position that UX/UI is really what matters, and the hardware that makes the UX/UI possible in the first place is trivial. Then again, that may be Apple's position after all, as even while they were suing Samsung and threatening LG, HTC and other Android OEMs over UX/UI before finally giving up on that failed strategy, they themselves were found to be violating hardware patents for 2G/LTE tech by Ericsson and CPU designs by the University of Wisconsin-Madison. Basically, can't complain about what the other guy is doing when your guy is doing the same. You may have wanted Apple to enjoy a monopoly, but similar to Microsoft in the 1990s, Google and their partners came out with good products that was able to compete at a lot of price points. So, it should suffice to merely be glad that Apple enjoys a 48% market share in the U.S. mobile industry, a lot better than the 5%-10% market share that they enjoyed in the PC market in the 90s and 00s.
    singularitycnocbuidasanman69techlovergatorguy
  • Reply 34 of 65
    linkmanlinkman Posts: 1,035member
    I know my observations are USA-only, but in real world usage I see about 45% iPhones, 45% Samsung, and 10% everything else. Are Gartner's market share numbers being skewed by repeat sales of junk phones that have to be replaced every few months? I'm still using a 4s (which is kind of slow but still works fine).
    cali
  • Reply 35 of 65
    SnRaSnRa Posts: 65member
    volcan said:
    SnRa said:

I'm not so sure I would characterize it as Android having a major influence on iOS. Keep in mind that Apple adapted iOS and the iPhone from OS X and their other hardware accomplishments where they have had multitasking, notifications, voice commands and lots of large screens, years before Android popped up. It is not like they saw an Android device and said "Oh wow why didn't we think of that?" Apple was just taking their time to get those features done right when the CPU was powerful enough to allow it without stuttering or draining the battery. Also Japanese feature phones had NFC payments like forever, so I wouldn't give Android any credit for inventing that.
    More so the successful implementation of those features on Android devices, Android wasn't necessarily the first for some of those. I mean, Apple's iPhone wasn't the first phone to have a fingerprint scanner, but they had been one of the first to implement it in a successful manner (credit due). As for aspects like device size, clearly if not for companies like Samsung, devices like a 5.5" iPhone might not have ever come to market. Proven success of the Galaxy/Note series helped change the direction of the industry.

edited May 2016 dasanman69teaearlegreyhot
  • Reply 36 of 65
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,192member
    redstater said:
    [...] The Microsoft Windows case from decades ago demonstrated that general UX/UI concepts aren't copyrightable. [...]
    You clearly haven't a clue about the issues. The Apple v. Microsoft situation involved copyright law, not patent law, because Apple hadn't filed for patents on the Mac GUI. All Apple could hope for was the possibility of protecting itself with copyright laws. With the iPhone, Apple/Jobs vowed not to make the same mistake again, by patenting the hell out of the iPhone technology and design.
    Apple hasn't sued Google (yet) because Google for the longest time wasn't making a smartphone product. Google's just making Android software available would not have constituted patent infringement, because software is "dead" without hardware. Confidential agreements between Apple and Google may even have prevented Apple from suing Google, once Google began marketing a smartphone product.
    Like everyone else that produces ARM processors, the basic designs are licensed by Apple from ARM itself.
    edited May 2016 caliintrepidfoster
  • Reply 37 of 65
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,192member
    Android devices ought to be called Personal Worm Holes.
    patchythepiratecaliintrepidfoster
  • Reply 38 of 65
    So where is Gartner's analysis for PROFIT-SHARE?  Because that's what matters in the phone business.  Back when there was a large platform-dependent battle of standards going on in the PC industry, then market-share mattered, because dominance determined the standard, which in turn determined the applications that were available, and your ability to share documents among co-workers.  Such things are less relevant in the smartphone business, because no matter the marketshare, few are making profit on applications other than those coding for iOS, and sharing of documents is not an issue.  That leaves just the sale of the phone hardware, and market-share is not a stand-in for profit-share in that sector.

Market-share truly is a bigger issue in commodity products.  But smartphones aren't commodities. Very few people refer to their iPhone as a "smartphone", but most white-box owners call their devices "smartphones" because they tacitly acknowledge that it is a wholly different product.

So, again, what are the figures for profit-share, huh?
    edited May 2016 cali
  • Reply 39 of 65
    SnRaSnRa Posts: 65member
    zoetmb said:
    And as an aside, OPPO makes fantastic high-end Blu-ray players and does really terrific customer service.  I haven't seen their phone in-person, but from the specs, it looks quite nice.    
    OPPO Digital is independently operated out of Mountain View, CA, the smartphones are made by a division in China. Not to say that's a bad thing, they often produce some unique designs and features. They're also a parent of OnePlus, which is why you'll see similar designs between the two.
    edited May 2016
  • Reply 40 of 65
    croprcropr Posts: 1,122member
    volcan said:
    SnRa said:

Siri was definitely inspired by Google Now, Apple Maps  by Google Maps, the lowercase iOS 9  keyboard by the Android keyboard, ...  There are a dozen or more features or feature enhancements that I can enumerate, where the Android version was available before the iOS version.  And it not because Apple was the first to integrate successfully a  fingerprint reader that Apple did not copy the idea from a existing but less successful solution.
    Nevertheless it remains true that the general idea of touch enabled, keyboard less smartphone was put in the market by Apple.    
    SnRa