iPhone marketshare dips to 14.8% amid tougher Chinese competition, Gartner says

Comments

• Reply 41 of 65
    SnRaSnRa Posts: 65member
    linkman said:
    I know my observations are USA-only, but in real world usage I see about 45% iPhones, 45% Samsung, and 10% everything else. Are Gartner's market share numbers being skewed by repeat sales of junk phones that have to be replaced every few months? I'm still using a 4s (which is kind of slow but still works fine).
    No interest in the iPhone SE?

Xiaomi, OPPO and Huawei are massive outside of the US, most of their devices aren't even available for sale in North America. Huawei has been looking to change that, slowly.
  • Reply 42 of 65
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    cropr said:
    Siri was definitely inspired by Google Now, Apple Maps  by Google Maps, the lowercase iOS 9  keyboard by the Android keyboard, ...  There are a dozen or more features or feature enhancements that I can enumerate, where the Android version was available before the iOS version. 
    Google Now launched July 9, 2012

Siri launched October 14, 2011

at least according to Wikipedia, so it looks like the other way around chronologically from how you recalled it.

In the case of Maps, it certainly wasn't inspired by Google Maps it was a necessity because Google refused to give them the turn by turn data. They had no choice but to make their own. I'm pretty sure if Google and Apple were on good terms, Apple would have been content to continue to use Google Maps. Also keep in mind that the original iOS Maps was Google's data but Apple's application which preceded Google Maps for Android.

BTW I hate the lowercase keyboard because the letters are too small for my less than perfect vision.
    edited May 2016 intrepidfoster
  • Reply 43 of 65
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,285member
    cali said:
    This is fucking disgusting.

The fact you can just steal a company's hard work and creation and sell it right next to the original is sad.

I watched the full 2007 iPhone keynote yesterday and it changed my view even more on IP theft. I have ZERO respect for the knockoff brands and have even more respect for Apple.

the part where Steve says "we filed over 200 patents for this phone and we plan on protecting them". It's like he truly believed his work would be protected but the U.S. government didn't give a shit and it's probably worse in other countries.

Imagine the billions of dollars IP theft had caused Apple?
    agree, I watched it last year and had the same feeling.   Plus may I add that Eric Schmidt is a complete Judas.
    edited May 2016 baconstangcali
  • Reply 44 of 65
    thedbathedba Posts: 762member
    And Gartner's sales data comes from where?
    They look at the supply chain, try to extrapolate and whatever's left over, goes into the bin called OTHER. 
  • Reply 45 of 65
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,293member
    cali said:
    cnocbui said:
    A few years ago I was looking for a phone for my son and came across the One+ and thought Apple and their shareholders ought to be very, very nervous.  I ended up getting him an LG G2, but the One + was a close-call.

Panasonic have a midrange phone (T50) intended for the Indian market that has almost no bezels and makes an iP6 look old.

Another wannabe iPhone.

all see is a cheap ass iPhony. I see no value.
    Stop being an ass. The normal average consumer doesn't care about what you are talking about. Both iOS and Android have the same apps that people mostly use and care about. Cameras are good enough and practically the same on almost all phones now. Screens, for the average consumer, are better on Android phones. It does come down to price now. Guess what people choose? 

Now you and I know that the iPhone is great and in some aspects better but the average consumer doesn't care at all about who stole what or what you perceive as value. 
    techlover
  • Reply 46 of 65
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,285member
    I also think that Apple iPhone sales are just taking a breather.  Once a radical design comes out (2017?), it will proceed with new vigor.  The Chinese see the status of owning a dominant international brand.  I do think the Chinese economy is more in trouble than the media is letting on.
    cali
  • Reply 47 of 65
    thedbathedba Posts: 762member
    Just look at that chart. Almost 45% of devices lumped into the "other" category. Countless no-name Android phones sold for next-to-nothing.

And why is Gartner lumping phones of all price points into one chart? Nevermind - I know the answer. It's so they can make Apple look bad with low market share while conveniently omitting the fact the ASP for the rest of the manufacturers on that list is below $200.
    Interesting little tidbits about firms like Gartner and IDC.

http://fortune.com/2012/08/15/gartner-and-idc-issue-dubious-mobile-phone-sales-numbers/

http://thefrustum.com/blog/2014/7/29/idc-and-gartner-numbers-an-apparent-total-hodge-podge

One of my favorite passages from the second article:

“So, the mantra became, preserve the growth rates; to hell with the actual numbers. Even the growth rates are fiction... The industry itself was aware of these issues, but agreed to maintain the fiction because it was convenient.
    — A former IDC researcher via Fortune
    cali
  • Reply 48 of 65
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    cali said:

The fact you can just steal a company's hard work and creation and sell it right next to the original is sad.

I watched the full 2007 iPhone keynote yesterday and it changed my view even more on IP theft. I have ZERO respect for the knockoff brands and have even more respect for Apple.

the part where Steve says "we filed over 200 patents for this phone and we plan on protecting them". It's like he truly believed his work would be protected but the U.S. government didn't give a shit and it's probably worse in other countries.

Nobody made a phone that looked like the original iPhone, and I doubt that in 2007 they had patented the design of the iPhone in 2016.
  • Reply 49 of 65
    jonljonl Posts: 210member
    cali said:

I wish Ford were the only car manufacturer.

SnRatechloverdasanman69
  • Reply 50 of 65
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    mj web said:
    What evidence is there that people want to buy a new phone every year? People don't buy new cars or furniture or appliances every year. Why does a phone need to look new every year? To me that's just change for change sake. Honestly I think slowing smartphone sales are more about maturing technology to the point where these devices are good enough. They're fast enough and the displays are high quality enough for what most people use them for. Other than cameras and battery life I'm not sure there's a lot of new technology that will make people want to buy a new phone every year. I'm not convinced that VR is going to be a mass market thing. Nothing that requires a big contraption on your face will.
    Good counterpoint. However it only addresses former iPhone users. Apple needs to ramp up fresh models for switchers and virgin adopters, which happens to be a majority of the market.
    Wrong. The majority of the market is current users, switchers and 'virgins' are what's needed to grow the market. 
  • Reply 51 of 65
    volcan said:
    Google Now launched July 9, 2012

Siri launched October 14, 2011
    Voice control, search and integration existed in Android before Google started bundling it together and calling it Google Now. Mostly it evolved from Google Voice Search (2002). Although, I wouldn't exactly call Siri a copy of that, it did however integrate a lot of that functionality.
    sirlance99
  • Reply 52 of 65
    Herbivore2Herbivore2 Posts: 367member
    Google makes no money on Android phones sold in China. That's somehow a good thing?

iOS development isn't going to stop. It is still a lucrative development platform. 

Marketshare matters if there is a specific goal in mind but the for low and mid range makers there is little profit and that won't change for the foreseeable future. Amazon is sacrificing profits for marketshare, but they are now the dominant e-commerce retailer and have a goal in mind unlike Xiaomi and Huawei. 

Apple still commands the lion's share of profits. That hasn't changed and allowing the company to do things others simply cannot. 

I frankly could care less about marketshare for smartphones. Profits matter at this point. And Apple still has a number of features to add to their mobile devices which includes the watch. 

Unlike the others, Apple has the capital to develop the hardware to make it all happen. Their secretive nature makes it difficult to assess what's coming, but the company isn't standing still. 

Samsung is barely keeping up. I would not count on them doing so for the long term as they do not have the same amount of available capital that Apple does to plow back into R&D. 

With Apple's assistance, TSMC is moving to 7 nm faster than anyone else in the industry and that includes Intel. Xiaomi and Huawei are all going to be stranded. It's really just a matter of time. 
    baconstangintrepidfoster
  • Reply 53 of 65
    With Apple's assistance, TSMC is moving to 7 nm faster than anyone else in the industry and that includes Intel. Xiaomi and Huawei are all going to be stranded. It's really just a matter of time. 
    Stranded in what sense? Huawei has their own in-house designs that have been becoming more and more competitive over the past year. They also use TSMC. Their last chip, the Kirin 950, was launched on TSMC's 16nm FF late last year. Their next chip, the 960, is said to be using ARM's new Artemis cores, putting them on the leading edge. ARM's Artemis test chip is based on 10nm FF.

Xiaomi relies off of Qualcomm and MediaTek for the most part, although they are planning a mid-range in-house chip.
  • Reply 54 of 65
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    Samsung is barely keeping up. I would not count on them doing so for the long term as they do not have the same amount of available capital that Apple does to plow back into R&D. 
    In 2014 Samsung spent $13.8 B on R&D, Apple only $1.3 B that year.
    edited May 2016 cnocbui
  • Reply 55 of 65
    techlovertechlover Posts: 879member
    SnRa said:
    cali said:
    Durr Hurr who do you think stole iOS? Durr...
    There is plenty of innovation from both camps (clearly), all you're doing is expressing your ignorance to the market outside of Apple... All 85.2% of it.

Android software and hardware has also had a major influence on iOS, from multitasking to notifications, NFC/mobile payments, voice commands, device size, etc.  
    You make a good point and I would mention Palm here as well.

Palm laid much groundwork for the future of smart devices as we now know them. As did the Newton for that matter.

Everyone has clearly lifted ideas and implementations from each other over the decades. Cards - Palm, Window Shade - Android, Grid of icons - well that goes back quite a while by now. We should all know by know that absorbing the best ideas and implementations is the best way to go. 

I would say Apple has easily influenced the smartphone market more than most. But they have and will continue to lift good ideas from others.

The benefit has been to us, as consumers. As well as to a few gigantic multi-national corporations. I guess I don't mind a bit either way. Just keep delivering better products and I won't mind.

If a car company comes up with a better crumple zone that saves lives, or better seat belts, gas mileage etc., and another car company implements it, I honestly don't mind and don't see what all the fuss is about. The planet is better off with better and safer cars, as well as all devices in general.

One can scream and shout about theft of IP, the R&D money wasted for nothing, and on and on. But the world is a better place with the best thing for consumers. Even if only one company came up with an idea or implementation of something, do we really want that single company to hold all of the cards?

Otherwise how in the world are we ever going to get off this rock?

By fighting over something so silly as smartphones? I think not.

The more I read the comments on these boards the more I think this is absolutely a religion to people. It's possibly the most important thing to them in the world.

They would rather see some one else suffer than to see a better world for everyone else.
    volcangatorguydasanman69
  • Reply 56 of 65
    koopkoop Posts: 337member
    For those who believe the iPhone 7 will take care of the sales slump, why do you think that? The displays have already been boosted, which whether you want to believe it or not was a big selling point to the iPhone 6. Every rumor points to Apple not using AMOLED this year, and there's nothing I've seen about increasing pixel density which people like. The CPU on the iPhone 6 and 6s are insanely powerful and nobody using those devices are wanting for a faster experience. Apple can say "40% faster GPU!" and it doesn't matter. Apps don't use the hardware that is even there.

And with all that, Apple has serious services challenges. iCloud is fine, but the competition is getting much better. Google's cloud along with it's new AI assistant is just way too good. Ever take a picture with Google photos? It uploads unlimited amounts of photos for free, uses machine learning to know if your pictures are certain people, pets or areas. It can then group them, make albums and memories without you having to do it. 

There is a reddit post talking about how Google is doubling down on things Apple can't follow. Google has decided to use Apple's privacy stance as a weapon against them. The Snowden's of the world have not touched Google's stock, and now the company is just going to roll out AI in everything including their new Google Home product, something Apple hasn't done. 

Without services that compete with Google, how does Apple grow beyond hardware? Way too many posts point to subsidized Chinese manufacturers making inroads, and too many rumors point to an Apple phone that is removing features and not implementing crucial ones. Is the hardware going to save the day again?

I'm skeptical. I think this is might be the big non-s release that doesn't cut it and you're going to see some executive shakeups in the company.
    dasanman69
  • Reply 57 of 65
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    cali said:

Another wannabe iPhone.

all see is a cheap ass iPhony. I see no value.
    Stop being an ass. The normal average consumer doesn't care about what you are talking about. Both iOS and Android have the same apps that people mostly use and care about. Cameras are good enough and practically the same on almost all phones now. Screens, for the average consumer, are better on Android phones. It does come down to price now. Guess what people choose? 

Now you and I know that the iPhone is great and in some aspects better but the average consumer doesn't care at all about who stole what or what you perceive as value. 
    I DONT GIVE A FUCK what the average moron thinks it's STILL A CHEAP KNOCKOFF. 

Always will be. People will continue to be fooled but not me. Until I see something DIFFERENT you aren't gonna convince me that it's not an iPhony.
    intrepidfoster
  • Reply 58 of 65
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    badmonk said:
    cali said:

agree, I watched it last year and had the same feeling.   Plus may I add that Eric Schmidt is a complete Judas.

Yes it's sad watching Steve talking proud about his product and introducing Google as a trusted customer.

jonl said:
    cali said:

I wish Ford were the only car manufacturer.

Because all cars look like the original Ford right?

koop said:
    For those who believe the iPhone 7 will take care of the sales slump, why do you think that? The displays have already been boosted, which whether you want to believe it or not was a big selling point to the iPhone 6. Every rumor points to Apple not using AMOLED this year, and there's nothing I've seen about increasing pixel density which people like. The CPU on the iPhone 6 and 6s are insanely powerful and nobody using those devices are wanting for a faster experience. Apple can say "40% faster GPU!" and it doesn't matter. Apps don't use the hardware that is even there.

And with all that, Apple has serious services challenges. iCloud is fine, but the competition is getting much better. Google's cloud along with it's new AI assistant is just way too good. Ever take a picture with Google photos? It uploads unlimited amounts of photos for free, uses machine learning to know if your pictures are certain people, pets or areas. It can then group them, make albums and memories without you having to do it. 

There is a reddit post talking about how Google is doubling down on things Apple can't follow. Google has decided to use Apple's privacy stance as a weapon against them. The Snowden's of the world have not touched Google's stock, and now the company is just going to roll out AI in everything including their new Google Home product, something Apple hasn't done. 

Without services that compete with Google, how does Apple grow beyond hardware? Way too many posts point to subsidized Chinese manufacturers making inroads, and too many rumors point to an Apple phone that is removing features and not implementing crucial ones. Is the hardware going to save the day again?

I'm skeptical. I think this is might be the big non-s release that doesn't cut it and you're going to see some executive shakeups in the company.
    Same song different year. Just because YOU can't think of innovations doesn't mean Apple can't.

volcan said:
    In 2014 Samsung spent $13.8 B on R&D, Apple only $1.3 B that year.
    They also spent 14B launching an anti-Apple campaign and we saw how this turned out for them.

Quoting is a mess sorry guys
    Re:whoever corrected the poster on Goog maps,
    YES mapping wasn't even something Apple wanted to get into in the original keynote they praised Goog Maps and how they worked together to make the app Steve didn't know Eric "the creep" Schmidt and Co would backstab them and steal all the work.

edited May 2016
  • Reply 59 of 65
    jonljonl Posts: 210member
    cali said:
    Because all cars look like the original Ford right?
    Four round wheels is such a ripoff. So are the floor pedals and steering wheel. And seats? Good lord, can't anyone innovate?
    cnocbuidasanman69
  • Reply 60 of 65
    linkmanlinkman Posts: 1,035member
    SnRa said:
    linkman said:
    I know my observations are USA-only, but in real world usage I see about 45% iPhones, 45% Samsung, and 10% everything else. Are Gartner's market share numbers being skewed by repeat sales of junk phones that have to be replaced every few months? I'm still using a 4s (which is kind of slow but still works fine).
    No interest in the iPhone SE?

Xiaomi, OPPO and Huawei are massive outside of the US, most of their devices aren't even available for sale in North America. Huawei has been looking to change that, slowly.
    My employer pays for the phone and cell service. I don't want to pay for one and carry two all of the time (I'm almost always on-call). They ordered a new iPhone 6 about two months ago but apparently the gears turn very slowly where I work...