Samsung may beat Apple to the punch with global live TV subscription service

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 37
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Being first isn't always best. I've lost count of the concepts Apple we're know to be coming up with that were preempted  by  companies  that read the rumors and were trying to beat Apple to the punch ... All to no avail.
  • Reply 22 of 37
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    zroger73 said:
    If Samsung's service works 1000x better than the "smart" features on their TVs then it'll still be garbage. I have a few Samsung TVs that I use for secondary duty in various rooms. I've found them to be reliable and with a decent picture for the price. However, the smart features and HDMI-CEC compatibility are a joke just like their intrusive "service notice" banners that frequently appear.
    All smart TV built in software is garbage. That's why I used ATV or Fire TV boxes. Well, FireTV is still usable for me because of Sling. 
    To me, once Apple secures all content providers, they'll rule them all. Fking Sling is just annoying with those garbage channels.
  • Reply 23 of 37
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    bobschlob said:
    LOL. Apple invested "billions" in Beats. How'd that turn out?
    how much profit is Beats killing it with this year? id say it turned out that well.
    Profit from what? Don't tell me Apple couldn't start a streaming music service without spending $3B on Jimmy Iovine. And before the acquisition NO ONE was saying Apple should buy Beats for the headphones. It wasn't until after the acquisition that some rationalized it by saying they bought a profitable headphone business. But again they bought Beats at peak popularity. Go into a Best Buy 2-3 years ago and it was Beats everywhere. Not the case now. We're told Eddy Cue is this master deal maker yet he had to spend $3B on Jimmy Iovine to get a subscription music service? Really?
    edited May 2016 bobschlob
  • Reply 24 of 37
    how much profit is Beats killing it with this year? id say it turned out that well.
    Profit from what? Don't tell me Apple couldn't start a streaming music service without spending $3B on Jimmy Iovine. And before the acquisition NO ONE was saying Apple should buy Beats for the headphones. It wasn't until after the acquisition that some rationalized it by saying they bought a profitable headphone business. But again they bought Beats at peak popularity. Go into a Best Buy 2-3 years ago and it was Beats everywhere. Not the case now. We're told Eddy Cue is this master deal maker yet he had to spend $3B on Jimmy Iovine to get a subscription music service? Really?
    Pls get your facts right before saying this because it is not a fact in Singapore where I saw majority people uses beats headphones. And also in Singapore not many people buy Samsung TVs as much as they buy either TVs from LG or Sony cause the TVs are very expensive and the functions they provided actually sucks.
  • Reply 25 of 37
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Let me honest. If Apple have such hard-time executing live TV service with all it's innovative approaches, you think copycat Samsung can do it successfully ? Sony did it because Sony has a big foot into contents generation, distribution services. Dishneowrk already have in place agreements with contents provider part of satellite business..
    edited May 2016
  • Reply 26 of 37
    misamisa Posts: 827member
    That does not matter.
    If the user experience sucks, it will be DOA.
    TV-OS already rocks and is about to become a lot better at WWDC. 2016.
    Samsung is honestly just awful. Their products aren't designed to last even 3 years. I'm perfectly OK with buying a "dumb" TV/Monitor from them should I need one, but their SmartTV OS, and LG's SmartTV OS, and pretty much every other also-ran Android franken-blunder has been two-fold terrible.

Both Samsung and LG quickly abandoned Android for their TV's, which is a good thing, but at the same time they sold a bunch of said android TV's to people without telling them that they were discontinuing the OS and the apps for it. So that's an awful way to be introduced to the SmartTV system. My parents bought such a thing and they generally only use the SmartTV's h264 decoder to watch junk that one of them "got off the internet", the rest of the features are untouched and I had to force my parents to watch Netflix by giving it to them for free while I paid for it.

All those "TV Apps" ... won't work on their SmartTV, and they're not going to replace it anytime soon.
  • Reply 27 of 37
    customtbcustomtb Posts: 346member
    The buzz seems to be about live tv, but I haven't watched a live show since my first DVR. Is there some sort of DVR or on demand attached to these services?
  • Reply 28 of 37
    bobschlob said:
    cali said:
    Samsung willing to scrape pennies for market share.

i say Apple invest billions in an exclusive movie/TV/Game studio and destroy these scumbags. 
    Well if you believe they bought Beats for the Beats music app...it turned out pretty well, since the rebranded Apple Music already has 13 million plus paid users at a min $9.99 a month. Which works out to $1.5 billion in revenue and growing. Plus the $1 Billion plus that Beats hardware division (Morgan Stanley estimated) takes with amazing margins. I think the deal worked out fine.
  • Reply 29 of 37
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member
    bobschlob said:
    Well if you believe they bought Beats for the Beats music app...it turned out pretty well, since the rebranded Apple Music already has 13 million plus paid users at a min $9.99 a month. Which works out to $1.5 billion in revenue and growing. Plus the $1 Billion plus that Beats hardware division (Morgan Stanley estimated) takes with amazing margins. I think the deal worked out fine.
    Well you're wrong. Apple didn't need to make this purchase in order to have a profitable music streaming business.
  • Reply 30 of 37
    cali said:

i say Apple invest billions in an exclusive movie/TV/Game studio and destroy these scumbags. 
    Well, Apple has an extremely close relationship -- via Steve and Laurene Jobs, Bob Iger, etc. -- with Disney (ABC, ESPN, A&E major portfolio of studios and franchises such as Marvel and Lucasfilm), and yet, nothing of consequence has happened even with them. So I doubt that buying a studio will make much of a difference.
    Again. The problem is Live NBC. It's not even cable content providers or flipping bundling. Jesus you make shit up on this site.

literally Comcast is going to have to be compelled by congress who would have to enforce the amendment to the NBC deal that says what abc CBS and fox gree too - Comcast must too or face anti trust litigation

comcast bought NBC because of this planned sabotage. The cable industry will die if thier in house Internet business can deliver the content instead of thier legacy copper wire. 

Its inevitable. Comcast is in the driver seat until there not
  • Reply 31 of 37
    Yes really. Content providers hate Apple. They're extremely difficult 
  • Reply 32 of 37
    Iovine is a peace offering for the future because Apple destroyed the music business to create whatever iTunes is. Shut that shit down. It blows. On every OS
  • Reply 33 of 37
    iushntiushnt Posts: 23member
    dewme said:
    This is a recurring pattern. 1) Samsung gets wind of something Apple is working on and quickly pushes out a shabby rendition of what they think Apple is going to do. They don't want to be accused of slavishly copying Apple, which they do, and somehow think that their poorly rendered preemptive strikes allow them to one-up Apple. While this may get them some clicks from adoring fans and low brow media, the real losers are customers who actually pay money for Samsung's Speculativeware products. 2) The first day Apple's version gets publicly exposed the Samsung versions become landfill and eBay fodder. 3) Samsung goes back to the tracing board, copies Apple for their second release, and claims they're not copying because their product in fact hit the market first. Hey, maybe it's a reasonable ego inflation and market rationalization strategy for Samsung itself but it's a very predictable butt hurt pattern for Samsung's customers who get duped by betas disguised as products.
    So even if Samsung does first or later, it's still a copy?  Couldn't agree
    dasanman69
  • Reply 34 of 37
    wigbywigby Posts: 692member
    When had Eddy Cue ever been called a master deslmaker? No music labels wanted to deal with Apple. That's why they paid for Iovine, Reznor and Dre. You can say whatever about the headphone business but it's profitable, a logical fit with Apple and the Beats deal was contingent on it. Same thing is happening now with Apple's Didi investment. They are investing $1B to learn about automated transportation services but they wouldn't have invested unless the service was profitable and the Uber of China.
  • Reply 35 of 37
    wigbywigby Posts: 692member
    iushnt said:
    dewme said:
    This is a recurring pattern. 1) Samsung gets wind of something Apple is working on and quickly pushes out a shabby rendition of what they think Apple is going to do. They don't want to be accused of slavishly copying Apple, which they do, and somehow think that their poorly rendered preemptive strikes allow them to one-up Apple. While this may get them some clicks from adoring fans and low brow media, the real losers are customers who actually pay money for Samsung's Speculativeware products. 2) The first day Apple's version gets publicly exposed the Samsung versions become landfill and eBay fodder. 3) Samsung goes back to the tracing board, copies Apple for their second release, and claims they're not copying because their product in fact hit the market first. Hey, maybe it's a reasonable ego inflation and market rationalization strategy for Samsung itself but it's a very predictable butt hurt pattern for Samsung's customers who get duped by betas disguised as products.
    You miss the point. Like a moon orbiting a planet or a pilot fish shadowing a shark, Samsung is defined by Apple's every move in tech industry. If Apple didn't exist, Samsung wouldn't know what to do which is strange. It should be the opposite way since Samsung is larger in terms of products and overall revenue. Apple should be copying them but we don't see any evidence of that.
  • Reply 36 of 37
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    wigby said:
    iushnt said:
    You miss the point. Like a moon orbiting a planet or a pilot fish shadowing a shark, Samsung is defined by Apple's every move in tech industry. If Apple didn't exist, Samsung wouldn't know what to do which is strange. It should be the opposite way since Samsung is larger in terms of products and overall revenue. Apple should be copying them but we don't see any evidence of that.
    Samsung does sell a lot more than just smartphones, and tablets. 
  • Reply 37 of 37
    VisualSeedVisualSeed Posts: 217member
    cali said:

Well, Apple has an extremely close relationship -- via Steve and Laurene Jobs, Bob Iger, etc. -- with Disney (ABC, ESPN, A&E major portfolio of studios and franchises such as Marvel and Lucasfilm), and yet, nothing of consequence has happened even with them. So I doubt that buying a studio will make much of a difference.
    Sports programing seems to be the big holdup on most of these deals. Apple seems to be doing well with slowly thawing the sports networks' frigidness towards broadcasting on the internet. Mainly by showing them how they can create a premium product and get paid for it. The regular broadcast networks are quickly feeling pressure all the way around. I don't see them holding out much longer. Once the first one caves in the others will follow pretty quickly. I don't think anyone is going to have any exclusivity on content unless they are producing their own. Netflix studios ensures it will drive people to want Netflix on as many devices as possible. If Apple produces their now content (and it's good) it will only drive more sales of Apple hardware.