Google I/O 2016: Android's Instant Apps seek to solve a key mobile problem

Comments

• Reply 21 of 44
    steven n.steven n. Posts: 1,229member
    hagar said:
    One problem with this story: Apple has no search engine or algorithms. Search in the App Store, Mac store, Maps and iTunes is astonishingly bad. Even in 2016 they don't offer fuzzy search or AI. 
    Interestingly, I find Google's search results (with all their tracking, fuzzy logic and AI) simply horrid and increasingly irrelevant. I get much better tested most of the time with a simple basic search from DDG with minimal AI, fuzzy logic and tracking. 
    pscooter63
  • Reply 22 of 44
    steven n.steven n. Posts: 1,229member
    gatorguy said:
    flaneur said:
    Hey redstater! 

Where were you when Vic Gundotra declared Google's war on iOS in 2010 at I/O?

Wasn't that a reaction to Steve Jobs comments about destroying Android a few weeks earlier? While Gundotra probably erred in commenting on stage I think he was accurate in stating that "just one company" and in particular " one (very angry) man" thought they should be the sole provider of touch-screen smartphones based on the highly publicized press reports from the weeks leading up to I/O 2010 . I don't see anything in your video link showing Google was attacking Apple. IMO Mr. Gundotra is making it clear that Android would carry on despite the saber-rattling from Apple's CEO.

EDIT: I just read the article itself to realize it was one from DED. Sorry for intruding then. :)
    Google I/O 2010 was heavily centered on "killing" Apple and iOS. There were several "rant fests" (for lack of a better word) centered on destroying the tyranny of iOS and the iPhone as well as effigies of Steve Jobs.

i am saddened it was the one Google I/O I went to and it felt more like a religious indoctrination.

i found WWDC much more educational. 
    ai46
  • Reply 23 of 44
    willizenwillizen Posts: 18member
    jkichline said:
    DED actually brought up an interesting point... as long as Apple remains in the "underdog" position in relation to market share, it can't be considered a monopoly. But that doesn't relate to profits. So the idea of Apple maintaining premium products at the risk of a non-dominant market share may be exactly where Apple wants to be.

Let Google give away Android and lose money. They come up with new ideas every year and every year they fail to establish a profitable ecosystem around Android. The only reason Android exists is out of necessity. But eventually these manufacturers will tire of making negative revenues on mobile and give up.

There are only a few case studies that I have found for why users purchase Android over iPhone. First is they don't know better and just want a basic phone. Carriers are more than happy to sell them an Android device especially an older model so they can clear out the massive inventory. The other reason is purely financial so lower income families, students and kids are more likely to have an Android device, but many would rather have an iPhone.

There is also a contingent who just refuse to buy anything Apple. In this case it's "religious" and there's not much you can do. I was chatting with a lady this weekend about an app I make and she was super-excited. She brought her husband by to show him. But when he realized it didn't run on Android, he refused to let her get an iPad. 

Apple making their products VERY affordable and price is no longer a barrier to entry. So it's really just this stubborn opinion that Apple is evil. Apple is fighting on both those fronts and is making progress on converting Android users to iOS.

With billions in the bank and billions coming in each month, they are not in a hurry. They have their strategy and are very patient.

You have zero credibility based on your statement that the only people who choose android are either poor or ignorant. I can't believe we still have people repeating that line. 
    singularitystaticx57techlovergatorguymjhnl
  • Reply 24 of 44
    razormaidrazormaid Posts: 299member
    cropr said:
    hagar said:
    One problem with this story: Apple has no search engine or algorithms. Search in the App Store, Mac store, Maps and iTunes is astonishingly bad. Even in 2016 they don't offer fuzzy search or AI. 
    As an app developer I can only confirm this.  Apple prefers to show apps from top developers (Google, Facebook, ...) that are only remotely related to the search terms, while not showing apps from lesser known developers, that have a direct search hit.  Even if these apps have good ratings. 
    And most Apple users don't realize it.  If they search via the App store app, a lot of good to excellent apps are not visible to them, which is a very sad thing for developers trying to make a living.
    This is with all sincerity:
    so is there a way for us to find "you"?  Apps written by smaller companies that are superior to the obvious big ones?

Heres why I ask... When I began the process of setuping up schoolwork folders for my two kids (then 2 and 4) it took me literally hundreds and hundreds of physical man hours to find the right ones. Kids don't want to use traditional learning like we did (hell I didn't either) but with iPad and you guys I can hoan in on exactly what I need based on my kids current likes. 

Example: my boy likes anything dinosaur, zombie or alien. You know how hard it was to find a dinosaur math app?  Or a UFO addition/subtration app?  My girl likes anything from Frozren, Barbie or just the color pink. 

I did eventually locate these in phonics, math, reading, spelling, writing, etc but my god it took hundreds of hours. The ONLY thing that I found helpful was when I did find a spaceship/UFO math game, but clicking "related" it did move the process slightly more in that direction, but I was setting up 8 schoolwork folders (for 8 days worth of school apps). Inside each folder was
    3 morning (math, phonics, alphabet)
    3 afternoon (language, memory/dexterity + elective)
    3 evening (math, writing, vocabulary/reading)

These kids are quick learners and I mean quick to memorize vs learn, so with 2 math a day x's 8 days I had to find 16 math apps that did not repeat itself over an 8 day week and it had to involve dinosaurs, aliens or zombies!  Same for the other topics listed above.  In addition I taught him German and taught her French, so I had to find 8 different apps in each language, that was oriented for kids who can't yet read - also without repeating any of the apps. 

The question I have for you as a developer, or any developers out there reading this... I'm trying to find you!!  I want to buy YOUR apps not necessarily the most popular.  The apps I ended up getting a lot of times were "untested" (no reviews yet). I did my homework (no pun intended) took some chances, but eventually found specific apps in each category to fill in the 9 apps per day times 8 days for the boy (72 apps with 15 rotating elective apps they could pick from like music theory, puzzles, etc) and then 72 more apps - completely different from my boy's because she was 2 years younger and her "criteria" for staying interested was different (Disney, Barbie, Pink).

Is there a current way to do what I did that would have been faster but gave me the end result I got? Because as far as the apps I did find you guys wrote some killer apps!  And THANK YOU for that by the way..  I try to reward you guys by ONLY buying the paid version and once purchased I purchase all the in-app purchases available, always. My way of thanking you more. 
    edited May 2016
  • Reply 25 of 44
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    Most of my searches are done using DuckDuckGo these days.  It's my default.  Our really is quite good enough.  I would rather have 1 relevant page then 50 pages of Google crap with ad's all over.
    pscooter63baconstang
  • Reply 26 of 44
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Apple,Yahoo.Microsoft and others(except google) should combine resources and create open source "Search" engine and have everyone use it. That will put Google into trenches and follow it's own slogan "Do no Evil". Well, now Google changed to say "Do no wrong"..
    edited May 2016
  • Reply 27 of 44
    rhoninrhonin Posts: 60member
    cali said:
    hagar said:
    It's VERY bad. This is why I hope Apple is taking search seriously.

would love to see them develop a search so accurate we no longer need old school website search engines. That's so outdated and 90's.
    To do this though Apple needs to drop what they currently have in totality and go with something totally new.  Even if they have to buy it.
    How do I find iOS apps I want?  Google it. 
    techlover
  • Reply 28 of 44
    rhoninrhonin Posts: 60member
    Instant Apps?  Seriously cool.  
    I periodically go through my app list on both iOS and Android and clean out the crap I use very seldom or use once in a blue moon.

edited May 2016 techlover
  • Reply 29 of 44
    levilevi Posts: 344member
    hagar said:
    It needs work, especially when it comes to the App Store. I find they do well enough in iTunes, Maps and in Spotlight. Siri search on the Apple TV is very good. 
    ai46
  • Reply 30 of 44
    levilevi Posts: 344member
    cali said:
    hagar said:
    It's VERY bad. This is why I hope Apple is taking search seriously.

would love to see them develop a search so accurate we no longer need old school website search engines. That's so outdated and 90's.
    I've come to believe that good search is just hard to do. I've tried switching to Bing, Yahoo (which is basically Bing) and Duck Duck Go for web search. I usually last a couple of days but revert back in frustration. 

The quality and accuracy of search for Apple seems to depend on the device used. The App Store's search needs work. Maps in my experience works more than well enough. Spotlight too. Siri search on Apple TV is quite good. 

pscooter63
  • Reply 31 of 44
    Herbivore2Herbivore2 Posts: 367member
    hagar said:
    Who cares? Amazon does and they are going wallop Google. 
  • Reply 32 of 44
    ericthehalfbeeericthehalfbee Posts: 4,486member
    willizen said:
    jkichline said:
    DED actually brought up an interesting point... as long as Apple remains in the "underdog" position in relation to market share, it can't be considered a monopoly. But that doesn't relate to profits. So the idea of Apple maintaining premium products at the risk of a non-dominant market share may be exactly where Apple wants to be.

Let Google give away Android and lose money. They come up with new ideas every year and every year they fail to establish a profitable ecosystem around Android. The only reason Android exists is out of necessity. But eventually these manufacturers will tire of making negative revenues on mobile and give up.

There are only a few case studies that I have found for why users purchase Android over iPhone. First is they don't know better and just want a basic phone. Carriers are more than happy to sell them an Android device especially an older model so they can clear out the massive inventory. The other reason is purely financial so lower income families, students and kids are more likely to have an Android device, but many would rather have an iPhone.

There is also a contingent who just refuse to buy anything Apple. In this case it's "religious" and there's not much you can do. I was chatting with a lady this weekend about an app I make and she was super-excited. She brought her husband by to show him. But when he realized it didn't run on Android, he refused to let her get an iPad. 

Apple making their products VERY affordable and price is no longer a barrier to entry. So it's really just this stubborn opinion that Apple is evil. Apple is fighting on both those fronts and is making progress on converting Android users to iOS.

With billions in the bank and billions coming in each month, they are not in a hurry. They have their strategy and are very patient.

You have zero credibility based on your statement that the only people who choose android are either poor or ignorant. I can't believe we still have people repeating that line. 

We can rephrase that for you. The MAJORITY of Android phones are sold to people who simply can't afford an iPhone (or a Galaxy S7, for that matter).
    ai46baconstang
  • Reply 33 of 44
    jameskatt2jameskatt2 Posts: 720member
    When I read about how high a marketshare Android has, I laugh.  All this means is GOOD for Apple.

• Android Users are future iPhone users.  Android is the gateway drug to Apple products.
    • More Android Users means Apple does NOT have a monopoly.

ai46baconstang
  • Reply 34 of 44
    "It's not enough for Google to SLIGHTLY outpace Google's progress in search and AI".. a somewhat ridiculous use of "slightly", no?  To be honest, Apple has disappointed on a number of levels recently.  Search in it's own app store is abject, and it's AI is simply primitive compared with Google.  Apple has really failed to move Siri ahead significantly, and that would have been an excellent way for it to dis-intermediate "Google Search" and has don't precious little to enhance its functionality. The majority of iOS users use inferior Apple Maps (which I still find significantly inferior for anything other than basic driving directions) over Google Maps not because they are better buy because they are the default.  

Android is not in trouble, and Google certainly isn't either.  Long may competition reign.  Watching Google's i/o keynote this week, I was envious of some announced functionality and certainly hope Apple will be moved to respond more aggressively in certain areas and with improved services.

I know plenty of high end users who greatly prefer stock Android over iOS for the closer to the metal API support (eg the availability of apps such as Tasker) and the ease at which they can choose their default stock apps (browser, mail etc. ) and for Google Now which they regard as outstanding and a better experience on Android. I also know several others who use iOS simply because their parents have iPhones and trying to get them to text/communicate on anything other than iMessages and FaceTime has proved challenging. I'm one of those and I'm also uncomfortable with Google knowing everything about me and how that information could be used going forward otherwise I would be inclined to the the plunge and try Android out.  I sense that there are quite a lot of people like me.

mjhnl
  • Reply 35 of 44

jbdragon said:
    Most of my searches are done using DuckDuckGo these days.  It's my default.  Our really is quite good enough.  I would rather have 1 relevant page then 50 pages of Google crap with ad's all over.
    I also use DuckDuckGo as my default, but primarily for privacy.  But, In no way would I claim that DuckDuckGo is remotely close to the search capabilities of Google.  If I am searching for a particular article on a certain subject, then I'll simply use Google as it's vastly more precise and quicker for me to do so.
    edited May 2016 mjhnl
  • Reply 36 of 44
    Very well thought article. 

The bigger issue for Google is that half of all e-commerce is transacted on Amazon. And that is Google's biggest problem. Because if Amazon decides they no longer need to pay Google for advertising, a very substantial portion of Google's revenues will be lost. Even if the majority of Amazon's business moves to an app, Google still faces substantial losses. 

And if Apple moves it considerable business off of Qualcomm and to Intel for the purchase of modems, Qualcomm will no longer have the revenue to pour into the development of future CPUs. Samsung won't be able to continue to aggressively develop its fabs and Android will ultimately be relegated to second tier hardware. 

Google is in desperation mode. The Android model really hasn't amounted to much. They are locked out of China and under duress in Europe. Their text based web search model is being displaced. The remaining of web advertising is being captured more and more by Facebook. 

Google needs to change its business model, but they seem quite inflexible. AI won't save them. It's all smoke and mirrors and an attempt to hide their very serious underlying flaws. 
  • Reply 37 of 44
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

The bigger issue for Google is that half of all e-commerce is transacted on Amazon. And that is Google's biggest problem. Because if Amazon decides they no longer need to pay Google for advertising, a very substantial portion of Google's revenues will be lost. Even if the majority of Amazon's business moves to an app, Google still faces substantial losses. 

And if Apple moves it considerable business off of Qualcomm and to Intel for the purchase of modems, Qualcomm will no longer have the revenue to pour into the development of future CPUs. Samsung won't be able to continue to aggressively develop its fabs and Android will ultimately be relegated to second tier hardware. 

Google is in desperation mode. The Android model really hasn't amounted to much. They are locked out of China and under duress in Europe. Their text based web search model is being displaced. The remaining of web advertising is being captured more and more by Facebook. 

Google needs to change its business model, but they seem quite inflexible. AI won't save them. It's all smoke and mirrors and an attempt to hide their very serious underlying flaws. 
    Google is plainly doomed, it's days numbered. 
  • Reply 38 of 44
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    redstater said:
    I have done a search on Daniel Eran Dilger's columns...
    Oh, look, a new guy!
  • Reply 39 of 44
    gatorguy said:

Google is plainly doomed, it's days numbered. 
    Yes. Count on that one. Amazon is going to strangle them. It's going to be quite exciting to watch actually. 
  • Reply 40 of 44
    croprcropr Posts: 1,124member
    razormaid said:
    cropr said:
    As an app developer I can only confirm this.  Apple prefers to show apps from top developers (Google, Facebook, ...) that are only remotely related to the search terms, while not showing apps from lesser known developers, that have a direct search hit.  Even if these apps have good ratings. 
    And most Apple users don't realize it.  If they search via the App store app, a lot of good to excellent apps are not visible to them, which is a very sad thing for developers trying to make a living.
    This is with all sincerity:
    so is there a way for us to find "you"?  Apps written by smaller companies that are superior to the obvious big ones?

Heres why I ask... When I began the process of setuping up schoolwork folders for my two kids (then 2 and 4) it took me literally hundreds and hundreds of physical man hours to find the right ones. Kids don't want to use traditional learning like we did (hell I didn't either) but with iPad and you guys I can hoan in on exactly what I need based on my kids current likes. 

Example: my boy likes anything dinosaur, zombie or alien. You know how hard it was to find a dinosaur math app?  Or a UFO addition/subtration app?  My girl likes anything from Frozren, Barbie or just the color pink. 

I did eventually locate these in phonics, math, reading, spelling, writing, etc but my god it took hundreds of hours. The ONLY thing that I found helpful was when I did find a spaceship/UFO math game, but clicking "related" it did move the process slightly more in that direction, but I was setting up 8 schoolwork folders (for 8 days worth of school apps). Inside each folder was
    3 morning (math, phonics, alphabet)
    3 afternoon (language, memory/dexterity + elective)
    3 evening (math, writing, vocabulary/reading)

These kids are quick learners and I mean quick to memorize vs learn, so with 2 math a day x's 8 days I had to find 16 math apps that did not repeat itself over an 8 day week and it had to involve dinosaurs, aliens or zombies!  Same for the other topics listed above.  In addition I taught him German and taught her French, so I had to find 8 different apps in each language, that was oriented for kids who can't yet read - also without repeating any of the apps. 

The question I have for you as a developer, or any developers out there reading this... I'm trying to find you!!  I want to buy YOUR apps not necessarily the most popular.  The apps I ended up getting a lot of times were "untested" (no reviews yet). I did my homework (no pun intended) took some chances, but eventually found specific apps in each category to fill in the 9 apps per day times 8 days for the boy (72 apps with 15 rotating elective apps they could pick from like music theory, puzzles, etc) and then 72 more apps - completely different from my boy's because she was 2 years younger and her "criteria" for staying interested was different (Disney, Barbie, Pink).

Is there a current way to do what I did that would have been faster but gave me the end result I got? Because as far as the apps I did find you guys wrote some killer apps!  And THANK YOU for that by the way..  I try to reward you guys by ONLY buying the paid version and once purchased I purchase all the in-app purchases available, always. My way of thanking you more. 
    Thank you for this encouraging reply. If the app developer has a website with a decent SEO and you do a search via Google, you'll find the app.
    razormaidos2baba